Outbreak Dev Take Two

Anon989

Hey guys, try and keep up on the blog, as I'm going to be putting my wip posts up there from now on, with the forums here for support. My coder wants me to try to get the blog views up and a bit more popular, so I'm going to try my best. That said I'll do a weekly wrap up post here with all the new blog links/etc for you guys who don't follow it too much.

So Here's a quick refresher on what you may have missed:

I just recently made some nice looking ocean water

I'm taking suggestions on the player character's voice/personality

Hey guys, try and keep up on the blog, as I'm going to be putting my wip posts up there from now on, with the forums here for support. My coder wants me to try to get the blog views up and a bit more popular, so I'm going to try my best. That said I'll do a weekly wrap up post here with all the new blog links/etc for you guys who don't follow it too much.

Well I don't want to use the only account I have linked to Blogger for posting because it uses my real name, BUT...

For the voice what I was going to post is:

Timid with some fear mixed in.

"Ack! Please no." "I won? I mean, I won!" "Get up I need you!" "Please not like this" "Get... get off me!" "Please just... just... let me go"

Idk about that last one. or any of them for that matter.

Well I don't want to use the only account I have linked to Blogger for posting because it uses my real name, BUT...

For the voice what I was going to post is:

Timid with some fear mixed in.

"Ack! Please no." "I won? I mean, I won!" "Get up I need you!" "Please not like this" "Get... get off me!" "Please just... just... let me go"

Idk about that last one. or any of them for that matter.

That's fine feel free to post anything you want here, and thanks for the suggestion :)

Weekly Wrap-up:

Finished my Ocean shader setup

Stamina + Health System Setup was redone by MD, since the one I had setup needed to be retooled for some fancier stuff to work correctly. This should be done by next weekend. Sprint has also been tweaked/corrected.

This week's goals (Me):

• Character Designs (Finish modeling the base player character)
  • If I finish this early, then I'll work on the skeleton/rigging for use in the engine

This weekends goals (MD):

• Finish the Health/Stamina setup
  • Finish the respawn system
  • Finish the Downed State setup

• 2 weeks later...

Any use for ambient sounds of birdsong and moving water?

snip

I was actually getting pretty annoyed with the sound effects sites I use for this kind of stuff. So yeah, that would be pretty useful :)

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but maybe you should make a project on http://offbeatr.com/

Might be worth it! I, at least, would gladly donate a few bucks to this cause :D

As much as I'd like to, I can't put a close enough estimate on how much time will end up being needed. I could aim for a years wages/income for myself and my coder, but I still wouldn't want to put people's money at risk without a solid/stable demo that they can test for themselves. I don't want anyone to be potentially feeling ripped off/etc. Though like I said on the blog, once all the key bits are done/ready, then perhaps an offbeatr might be right for this B)

That said, if you want to donate still, I've got a link in my sig below that you can follow and throw some money at me lol. And thanks for the interest in my little project here.

Weekly Wrap Up:

Had a f***ed up week and then a much better week. This post will be early since I won't be around Friday to post like I usually do/try to do lol.

Stuff got tweaked, and Teleport was Cut

Health/Stamina/Respawns got setup

On the topic of the health stuff, make sure to vote on the poll (on the blog) after reading my question for you guys. I'll be leaving it up for the next few days, so vote if you have an opinion on the matter of the "Downed" state I talked about.

This looks amazing, are there any textures that you can screen shot yet?

Textures of what exactly? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you're asking.

@Sister

Yeah they always did that to me, so I thought that was normal lol.

BTW wisdom I would read heavily into that whole OffBeatr thing if you ever decide on that. I clicked on that link with having it peaked my curiosity and read one of the things that was there. Looked like the dev was having trouble actually accessing the money that was raised or something like that.

As for the downed state vote / question. I dont know really which I would go with personally because I've played Gears and there are certainly Pro's and Con's to each. I think I would vote on the DBNO only because of familiarity and not really having an example to compare the other to.

Oh and I still refuse to use my account linked to blogger.

Guest mayaktheunholy

About the "downed" state, why not do both? Have a 3-stage health system like vitality/wounds instead of just HP. Vitality runs out and you are "injured", wounds run out and you are "down" (your desperate last chance to survive, grapples may or may not kill depending on enemy but any other attack would).  You could even give the player different perks to increase the thresholds of each.

BTW wisdom I would read heavily into that whole OffBeatr thing if you ever decide on that. I clicked on that link with having it peaked my curiosity and read one of the things that was there. Looked like the dev was having trouble actually accessing the money that was raised or something like that.

As for the downed state vote / question. I dont know really which I would go with personally because I've played Gears and there are certainly Pro's and Con's to each. I think I would vote on the DBNO only because of familiarity and not really having an example to compare the other to.

Oh and I still refuse to use my account linked to blogger.

Huh, that's interesting to hear about the offbeatr bit. I'll do some googling- I mean research later lol. As for your vote, I'll add it to whatever the final tally is so it will be counted even if it's not on said blog :)

edit

you don't have to register to vote there btw. At least according to the FAQ for the poll gadget I used.

About the "downed" state, why not do both? Have a 3-stage health system like vitality/wounds instead of just HP. Vitality runs out and you are "injured", wounds run out and you are "down" (your desperate last chance to survive, grapples may or may not kill depending on enemy but any other attack would).  You could even give the player different perks to increase the thresholds of each.

Hmmmmmmm.............that may actually be a much better idea! I'll have to pass this along and see what the other guys think. Thanks for the input :cool:

edit

Poll ended in a tie, so that seems to support the idea you suggested as well. This definitely seems like the right way to do it, so I'll have it setup this weekend :)

Wait...what did I miss?

Possibly a poll, some nice water, and I forget the rest lol (Check the wrap ups I do here). Poll ended in a tie though so both features/ideas will be getting put in, which is fine as they will definitely be a bit more fun to mess with gameplay wise.

edit

forgot to correct myself in an earlier post, so I'll do it now: Wrap ups will be posted every Sunday night from this point onward. Not really something major, I just wanted to have a set time for you guys to follow if your curious/don't check here often.

this game is making me anxious on wanting to play the full game but i must be patient

Little by little I'll make sure it get's there :)

That said, I'm glad to hear you're excited for it. I feel a bit weird when I say this, but even just seeing people say things like that really makes working on this a lot more enjoyable. I will do my best not to disappoint ;)

Random Side question for you guys:

Based on what you know of the game, are there any adult artists that you would like to see handle the concept art side of this? I have a few in mind atm, but I'm curious if I may overlooked anyone who might be even better. So if you know anyone who you think could be a good fit, shoot me a link here to their site/deviant art page/hentai foundry/etc...

PLEASE!!! NO ANIME!!!

It wasn't going to be, just was looking for artists to make some concept art to ease the modeling process. Though funny enough if you're a LONG time follower here, you'll know that the original pitch for this was in fact going to have an anime-ish look. Though feedback at the time made me change my mind. So fear not the Anime lol.

Weekly Wrap-up:

Set up a world Clock

Got more of said clock done

Had to redo said clock some

Also expect a video tomorrow of the finished clock + the very beginning of the rest/sleep feature + A VERY basic Sun/Day-Night Cycle that moves according to the clock.

Weekly Wrap-up:

I did some texture searching/creating and set some goals

Real life decided to set me back again

Despite all the math involved, I actually got the last major hurdle with the Sky/Day/Night setup done

Hopefully this coming week I will be completely done with the Day/Night Stuff. Programming wise, he's working every day this week + overtime so it will be a pass week for him.

Poll up on the blog, go check it out HERE. This poll is about the level of darkness that will be used for the Night lighting. It will only be up for a few days so vote/share your opinion while it's up/open to input :)

Thanks again for those who decide to vote/comment :cool:

Can't see any poll on the blog.  My vote would be option 3, perhaps shifted a bit closer to option 2.   I think most flat panel displays are poor at handling very dark scenes unfortunately.  There's also the consideration of how this affects NPCs.  I sometimes found those dark nights mods for Bethesda games tempting, but they didn't reduce NPCs ability to see, which was crap really.  I also don't like it when dark nights in games are even darker than it would ever get in the real world, though overly bright nights bug me too.  Night time outdoors is a real test of a lighting and shader system, it's very hard to do a good job of it (without realtime ray tracing) - can look amazing when it is done well though.

I possibly like the suggestion someone made on your blog about having eyes adapt to darkness over time; but again, if NPCs remain unaffected by this, I'd keep the effect minimal.

Guest mayaktheunholy

I don't see a poll either (is it already over?), but I would say have it like the "blackout" option at first, then brighten up a bit (to the level of 3 maybe) as the character's eyes adjust. I think this would be an opportunity to create more tension when you first enter a dark area, you don't now what's there waiting to pounce on you. As far as NPCs, I'd say in most situations they have already been there a while so their eyes would already be adjusted, no need to change their AI. Or you could just make it part of the lore that the infected have improved senses (if you already did that I missed it).

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is an example of a (horror-themed) game that uses this mechanic. 

Poll ended the other day, sorry I should have mentioned it here!

Can't see any poll on the blog.  My vote would be option 3, perhaps shifted a bit closer to option 2.   I think most flat panel displays are poor at handling very dark scenes unfortunately.  There's also the consideration of how this affects NPCs.  I sometimes found those dark nights mods for Bethesda games tempting, but they didn't reduce NPCs ability to see, which was crap really.  I also don't like it when dark nights in games are even darker than it would ever get in the real world, though overly bright nights bug me too.  Night time outdoors is a real test of a lighting and shader system, it's very hard to do a good job of it (without realtime ray tracing) - can look amazing when it is done well though.

I possibly like the suggestion someone made on your blog about having eyes adapt to darkness over time; but again, if NPCs remain unaffected by this, I'd keep the effect minimal.

I don't see a poll either (is it already over?), but I would say have it like the "blackout" option at first, then brighten up a bit (to the level of 3 maybe) as the character's eyes adjust. I think this would be an opportunity to create more tension when you first enter a dark area, you don't now what's there waiting to pounce on you. As far as NPCs, I'd say in most situations they have already been there a while so their eyes would already be adjusted, no need to change their AI. Or you could just make it part of the lore that the infected have improved senses (if you already did that I missed it).

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is an example of a (horror-themed) game that uses this mechanic. 

The plan is to nail down the level of darkness now, and give the NPC characters later on the appropriate view ranges. Only a few of the planned npcs will be able to see perfectly aka long range in dark situations, and even then, proper warnings will be had to avoid BS situations like you guys hinted at. Stealth is still a planned combat option for this after all.

Also eye adaptation is a WIP (work in progress), since it's being a pain in the ass atm. I'll keep poking it, but I'm asking a friend for help with it tomorrow so hopefully he can show me how to get it right :)

And before I go, one more thing I need opinions on so please check it out if you guys/gals want to help out again:

http://obdbtt.blogspot.com/2014/08/debating-on-moon.html

Weekly Wrap-up:

There was a Night/Darkness Poll

The Day/Night Cycle was shaping up nicely

That Darkness Poll Ended

I asked for more input on the Moon (Though I just figured it out myself in the end lol)

I finished the major parts of the Day/Night Cycle

Next up is weather, but that may be for next week as I still need to learn a few things about custom events/event dispatchers + I have to remake my particle systems again. Hopefully that won't be too hard though..knock on wood lol. On the bright side, once that's finished I'll be officially caught up from the UDK3 work I did on this. That will definitely make me a happy camper lol.

Archived