Outbreak Dev Take Two

Anon989

Oh before I forget, random question time for you guys:

You know I mentioned clothing destruction and such, but I have a quick debate for you guys to settle. We were discussing the topic of how destroyed said clothing should get.

1. My stance is that it should be damaged enough that you're exposed, but still retain enough clothing to where you could still see what you are wearing with a little effort.
  2. Both of my new guys think it should just damage the key areas (breasts, ass, genitals) to expose them but leave the majority of the other parts of said clothing intact.
  3. Final view of my friend/coder from before is that it should be in tatters. To the point where you can barely even tell what it once was. To shreds you might say lol.

I think you ought to go for a mix of all three. If damage can be progressive and the more damage the item has taken the more in tatters it looks.

Think realistically about clothes for a bit and where they most often take damage in real life. Take jeans for example: they have a massive seem tracing the pelvis and buttocks, which was been known to separate at in opportune times. Jeans also have a tendency to fray towards the cuffs at the ankle, especially if they are too long. And then of course there is the standard rip at the knee. Anywhere that has a seem is more likely to rip or split. Or areas of high traffic, like between the thighs, also become more susceptible to tears. 

Below I put a few examples of damage progression (this is not my own work)

1nfHjmo.jpg

R71hDg0.jpg

GY00ajr.jpg

avZ4vop.jpg

(I added another spoiler here because LL said that it doesnt accept the image extension, so I put some links here)

Other lower body wear could be treated almost the same as the jeans. Unless they're sweat pants or leggings of some kind which are more likely to get pulled from your body, rather than tear (really tight yoga pants and others like them do tear almost excessively easily). And if the player is audacious enough to wear a skirt, make it progressively shorter. With the last stage (assuming there would be ~4 stages) leaving nothing up to the imagination. Remember the recipe for an ideal skirt length; Long enough enough to cover everything but short enough to keep you interested.

Onto shirts and stuff. Very rarely in my time here on the planet have I noticed a shirt tear about the breasts, unless of course it was intentional. Shirts tend to split down the sides (got plenty of space for side boob here), under the arm, and near the collar (if it's a shirt that doesnt button.) Long sleeve shirts tend to tear where the sleeve and shoulder meet, and for those of us with broad shoulders almost directly in the center of the upper back. 

Variables: All the observations above are dependent upon certain variables, like; material, size, and moisture content (getting some clothing wet makes it tear much easier). 

So yea... That's my input. Start at #1 and gradually head to #3, and if the article of clothing matches a certain checklist where #2 is appropriate then toss in there. 

You know I mentioned clothing destruction and such, but I have a quick debate for you guys to settle. We were discussing the topic of how destroyed said clothing should get.

1. My stance is that it should be damaged enough that you're exposed, but still retain enough clothing to where you could still see what you are wearing with a little effort.
  2. Both of my new guys think it should just damage the key areas (breasts, ass, genitals) to expose them but leave the majority of the other parts of said clothing intact.
  3. Final view of my friend/coder from before is that it should be in tatters. To the point where you can barely even tell what it once was. To shreds you might say lol.

Should note that this is in no ways urgent or anything, just curious what you guys think/like more.

I would say it should go towards 1 then 3 then cease to exist. Sooner or later you're going to just ditch the frayed collar of your t-shirt, the one leg of your jeans or the band and one shoulder strap of a bra. If that's all that's left, they're kind of pointless.

Should note that this is in no ways urgent or anything, just curious what you guys think/like more.

I would say it should go towards 1 then 3 then cease to exist. Sooner or later you're going to just ditch the frayed collar of your t-shirt, the one leg of your jeans or the band and one shoulder strap of a bra. If that's all that's left, they're kind of pointless.

Yeah that's basically how it would work, but I still want some sign of clothing to remain just to give the general zombies/infected a bit more variety in terms of looks if you know what I mean. That said, the defensive bonuses of clothing/armor will be lost if said item is damaged too much.

Update:

Since I've been running solo with them being sick before and them being busy last weekend, I haven't got too much to show yet. I got some stuff working, but broke a few others in the process so I'm waiting until Wednesday to have them fix it up and if possible at the very least have the camera stuff done for you guys.

Guest Mogie56

as far as clothing/armor damage, will there be no way of replacing what gets damaged? like taking clothing from corpses/zombies once dispatched, or finding some, maybe  even buying what you need from a better off faction? if there's a way of replacing damaged clothing then damage could go all the way to un-usable or even ripped off by zombies, the less there is of a piece of clothing the easier it would be to grab and rip off. or let go of in the interest of not being pulled away once the piece is grabbed ahold of.

just my 2 cents.

Specifically, what camera are you working on right now?

The over the shoulder TPS camera (With the ability to zoom in and out, and rotate the camera), and the FPS camera. This is being made from scratch so it's taking a bit longer since we are not using the old (and inefficient one), just in case you were wondering why we were doing this again.

Mini Update:

Spent some time this morning on the day/night/weather cycle since I needed a break from the coding stuff. Managed to finish the new night sky stars texture, which looks a lot nicer than the old one in my opinion. Going to be tweaking the moon a bit as I try to get a bit more detail out of it since as of right now it simply appears solid white. Also need to change the storm clouds still, as they simply don't look right to me atm.

I got to setting up the Post Processing Effects as well. I have a new approach to it that will be far more usable than my old setup as it will be able to do a number of effects that simply were not looking/working right before. Shadows are also just about where I want them now as I made them much darker now to facilitate the need for flashlights and such in more shadowy areas.

Finally I think we may be changing how the infection stuff works, this is mostly to help add some variations to the infected factions gameplay options/goals. This will only effect the players infection and such, as npc's will still follow the old/normal ways. I'll do a more detailed writeup of how we plan to get that to work later tomorrow though if you're interested.

as far as clothing/armor damage, will there be no way of replacing what gets damaged? like taking clothing from corpses/zombies once dispatched, or finding some, maybe  even buying what you need from a better off faction? if there's a way of replacing damaged clothing then damage could go all the way to un-usable or even ripped off by zombies, the less there is of a piece of clothing the easier it would be to grab and rip off. or let go of in the interest of not being pulled away once the piece is grabbed ahold of.

just my 2 cents.

Yeah you will be able to do minor repairs yourself, but if it is fully destroyed then it needs to be taken to a special npc vendor to be repaired. And yes you will be able to buy clothing from npcs, though the prices and quality will vary lol.

Looting zombies for clothing is a neat idea though. As is adding a bonus to escape attempts via damaging your current clothing. I'll have to pass that over to the rest of the guys to see what they think :)

edit

No update today, stuff came up and we were unable to get together. Hopefully tomorrow will be alright though lol.

Hey guys what's up? :P

So I've been working far too diligently on the day/night/weather cycle, and as a result, it's nearly done. Just have one final issue to resolve and it's home free for that. That said, I've made a quick sample map (Using the stock assets) to check out the whole thing, and as I've mentioned before, I got a lot of the post process side of things done. So I was thinking of instead of showing you a video, that I could package said level (For practice in getting it all setup, installers and such) and let you guys see it for yourself. Comments on things like darkness, performance, weather/day/night effects would be cool to get too. File size might be bigger though simply due to the UDK assets I used, but I could always do a torrent or something for it.

All that aside, the camera stuff should be done tomorrow when we meet up again. So that's a plus as well. Really wanted to finish the water material I was doing, but so long as dx11 continues to randomly bug out on me, that may have to be put on the side a little while longer (For the sake of my sanity lol). After this stuff is done though, I'm going back to finishing up some modeling, so hopefully that isn't too far off.

I have to admit it feels good to make some progress again (Things have been moving too slow here lately for my tastes).

Off topic:

Signed up for the Titanfall Beta a week back, and despite it going live today or tomorrow, I've yet to get my invite...Very sad, so I have to ask: Anyone else get in/try it out yet? It really looks like soo much fun lol. Mech combat games have always had a major soft spot with me, especially when I used to watch Gundam as a kid lol.

Wisdom the Titanfall beta it's open now

http://www.destructoid.com/good-news-titanfall-beta-opening-up-to-all-players-270633.phtml

The game is awesome, the action it's very fast paced, even for a 6 vs 6 game. It's like a Call of Duty with mechs :D

Good to know that you have your product almost finished. If you are going to put it on torrents, count me in to seed it a LOT :D

I wanted to play it soo badly...lol. Glad it's worth the hype though, lots of games have trouble living up to that sometimes. Also thx for the support there, I may have to count on that (My download speed is great, but my uploads are always so slow with my internet provider, AT&T Uverse). I think they cap it or something, never really looked into it.

On topic: If you're in need of voice acting I'll volunteer for a variety of characters (it...it's questionable about me :/)

Off topic: You think you can give tips and what not for a noob developer for my Necro World?

I'll keep that in mind when the time comes, thx for the offer :)

Bah we are all noobs when it comes to everything in life lol. As for tips, that depends lol, as I'm still learning quite a bit myself :P

Moving on,

HEY YOU GUYS!!! I got a teaser for ya of the day/night/weather stuff. At least it WOULD have been a teaser if my random weather cycle wasn't such try hard. What I intended as a quick preview of it, ended up as a 12 min video lol. That said here's a bit more of what to expect when I release it soon:

• 3 Types of Weather (Clear, Cloudy, and Rain)
  • Full Day/Night Cycle
  • Rain Effects
  • Post Processing Effects
  • Probably too Dark Shadows (still tweaking the settings)
  • Ambient Sounds that change via the time of day and from the weather

Still to do are the thunder/lightning effects, and some tweaks to the sun/moon visibility when behind the storm clouds. But anyways, here's yo video guys, and I hope you like it :blush:

That lighting is nice, brings tension to the player, rely on their dinky light, and keep an eye out for those glowing eyes that have dark dark intentions.

Will the weather effect the player in the end? Such as getting sick while in the rain for too long? Weapons stop functioning due to being soaked? The rain drenches player clothes and slows them down?

That lighting is nice, brings tension to the player, rely on their dinky light, and keep an eye out for those glowing eyes that have dark dark intentions.

Will the weather effect the player in the end? Such as getting sick while in the rain for too long? Weapons stop functioning due to being soaked? The rain drenches player clothes and slows them down?

We may do something along the lines of a soaked effect, immune to fire, but cause more noise since you're dripping/sloshing all over the place. Though it's a 50/50 on whether we use something like that.

As for sicknesses, no probably not, there is enough for the player to worry about already lol. Also glad to see you like the harsh(er) shadows, was worried people would find it too dark. Needed a reason for the player to use their flashlights/vision modes though, so I think this will definitely help facilitate that in certain areas. Plus one of the best ways to scare people is with a baddie they can't see, but they can hear.

--edit--

btw

good luck on your games, I just noticed them after you came here asking for some tips. My advice, would be to try to nail down the big features early on, so things don't end up changing dramatically and you wind up wasting time with unused/scrapped features. Also pacing, don't rush yourself, I've done that one too many times here in the past. Setting a schedule is nice, but don't freak out if you can't meet the deadline. People here are very nice/understanding most of the time, so it's not worth it to stress out over it.

Massive lol error on my part, was trying to figure out why the lighting wasn't working right, then realized I still had the sky dome set to cast shadows (which is bad). Soo now I have to redo all the light settings to get it looking right again. So expect a bit of a delay, sry about that guys lol.

desk_flip.jpg

:D

Yeah that about sums up my reaction, needs a bit more crying though :D

Then showing the guy on Reddit hate posting about you and your product, mainly calling it a scam and making things get all controversial as if another War Z has spawned.

Huh? Some guy on reddit is bashing me? Damn that makes two sites that hate me now :(

Also have only made a total of $30 so far via donations, that's it...hardly a "scam" worthy of rage...(it's not a scam btw, I have no idea what gave this person that idea)

On a side note, random thunder/lightning is now working for the rain stuff :)

Very WIP video of the thunderstorms, made it now as I think I'm getting a bit under the weather so to speak lol. I'll try and finish it up along with the lighting stuff this weekend if I feel a lil' better. Don't want to push myself too hard here lol.

Archived