Outbreak Dev Take Two

Anon989

Ok...so having been messing around UE4, I have to put my vote on an engine swap. Sure I have to relearn some things, but so far it's just such an amazing upgrade from the previous version, that I almost don't want to go back now after using it lol.

But we're a group so I put it to a vote, as of right now 2 of us are in favor of changing it over. The other two are still checking it out, but honestly if they're like me, we're are probably going to switch. There's just so much awesomeness in the new version lol.

Also back to modeling today, as I tested enough of the UE4 for the moment. Kinda bouncing around things with modeling, but they are very slowly shaping up.

edit

ENGINE SWAP IS A GO!

Engine upgrade? Sounds like a good investment. Short-term delay for long-term benefit and all.

Just wanted to let you know people are still watching and interested.

Yeah, We're busy ripping things apart atm, to see how every works. They are really having a field day with it lol. I'm still learning as fast as I can though lol. Though I've always been slow with scripting/coding stuff. Though their new Visual scripting via Blueprint is helping a lot.

Here is a preview of the Cycle Night/day beta commented on spanish and subtitulated in english!

Nice, thanks for the shout out :)

Sounds really promising work on the UE4 then ^^

Yeah already got the TP Camera, or Third Person Camera (With the ability to zoom in/out) done. It's mostly for looking at your character rather than playing though.

The TPS Camera, or Third Person Shooter Camera, no zoom ability and it's fixed over the shoulder, but it's done now as well. This one is for actually playing with rather than looking at yourself.

Only camera left is the FPS, or First Person Camera. Having some technical issues with it atm, but I'm probably just making a stupid mistake somewhere. So hopefully it won't be too much longer before I can have a video of all three in action :)

Annnnnnddddd.....it's done. The camera I mean lol. Preview of it in action below.

Quick notes:

A camera setup which contains:

A fixed over the shoulder camera (TPS)
A free rotate and zoom camera (TP)
A socketed First person camera using 3rd person body to simulate a true® first person. (FPS)

There is some clipping with it atm in the FPS Camera simply because we used the sample body mesh provided, so that won't be present when I swap it out for custom assets. But as a proof of concept, it works so I'm happy.

All assets shown are from the content that Epic provided. Just the camera stuff is ours lol. But yeah here's the video:

There is some clipping with it atm in the FPS Camera simply because we used the sample body mesh provided, so that won't be present when I swap it out for custom assets.

Did you remember to adjust the near clip plane? :P

There is some clipping with it atm in the FPS Camera simply because we used the sample body mesh provided, so that won't be present when I swap it out for custom assets.

Did you remember to adjust the near clip plane? :P

No...I did not lol. It's too easy to forget simple things sometimes lol. Still with a separate head/body mesh we should be fine even if I didn't...lol. But yeah, thanks for that, I'll have to make a quick tweak :)

Side note:

I was told to say there are still possibly a few tweaks for the camera like smoothing out the camera change, but I'll leave that to them this weekend. Afterall, I got most of it done myself lol.

Athletic fellow!

Yeah that FPS camera really keeps reminding me of Mirrors Edge every time I mess with it. Also if any of you haven't played that game, please go do so lol. Still nothing quite like that game in regards to the gameplay.

I was told to say there are still possibly a few tweaks for the camera like smoothing out the camera change, but I'll leave that to them this weekend. Afterall, I got most of it done myself lol

If you use multiple camera components, you can tell the camera manager to switch between them and it will do the blending for you.

Barring that, just make a custom camera manager with single camera component.

Either/either.

I was told to say there are still possibly a few tweaks for the camera like smoothing out the camera change, but I'll leave that to them this weekend. Afterall, I got most of it done myself lol

If you use multiple camera components, you can tell the camera manager to switch between them and it will do the blending for you.

Barring that, just make a custom camera manager with single camera component.

Either/either.

Yeah I'm doing this in Blueprint though with a single camera. Unfortunately I was told that currently switching between multiple camera components isn't possible with it via blueprint atm. Though update 4.1 will have some added to tweaks that may enable something similar. Though honestly if you have set this up via Blueprint I'd love to see how you did it, as I'm trying to learn what ever I can :)

That aside, Update:

Ended up setting up the health/stamina stuff instead of finishing the camera. Also did some revisions to some of the game's functions/setup that need to be updated on the Blog still. Will likely do so tomorrow morning though.

Update:

Stamina/Sprinting stuff is completely done/ready now. Going to try and finish up the health stuff next. Gotta say I'm enjoying how fast this has been moving lol. Still gotta update the blog, but I'll make time for that tomorrow (Was a bit busy/sidetracked today).

Does not seem like the model really slows down much when reaching low stamina values. 

I could just be blind though. lol

It does trust me, though adjusting the speed will be something we do later on when it comes to testing things out. For the sake of showing it off, I'll make sure to make the sprint value something laughably high to help people see the difference. Thanks for the input :)

Update:

Probably going to take a bit longer to setup all the writing stuff that I had on backlog for the blog. So much to write lol. Oh well, that's what I get for putting it off for so long I guess right? :P

Update:

Ended up doing a quick tutorial for some people who were curious about the HuD stuff I was doing, and I did some more typing on el blogo. Which brings me to my next point:

I have officially have worked my hands into a well cramped mess with all the stuff I've been working on lately. Too much typing I guess? Idk. Going to take a few days (though prob just a day, must finish my work lol) off from this before I end hurting myself lol. Side note still so much blog stuff to finish...one day soon it will hopefully be done oh yes.... :P

Side note, may have found my creepy music box song for the only boss I have announced at the moment. Read up on the Blog if you haven't seen it yet. It comes in a few variations that he's got on demo for the song. Gotta see which I or you guys like more...

Very neat. What happens if you do that looking upwards? It used to be my Empath's slightly crazy way around in City of Heroes. Couldn't hover. Could teleport 100m straight up, 100m forwards a few times and 100m back down again quite safely without using Hover.

Yeah I just did a slightly newer version of it yesterday, and it uses your current velocity (In all directions) to determine the direction of the blink. Gives it a bit more range of use this way, so I think this is a bit better now lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ5lG0LYtLk

edit

Following a suggestion, the old Blink will remain as the ability Blink, and the new version will be an ability named Teleport (Testing this currently to make it possible for the player to pass through certain walls and such).

Teleport!? I must have missed a lot of updates...

With all this time off in between jobs, I'm moving pretty fast lately lol. Plus getting these abilities working is turning out to be pretty fun, so I've been putting a bit more time/effort into 'em. Also will have the Health system setup finished this weekend when they can get to it again. It's a bit buggy atm lol, but hey at least the Stamina system is done ;)

After that there will be some more bug squashing followed by a sample arena/challenge level to try out the teleport/blink powers. Just so you guys can try things out as I make it. Play testing features early on can/will also definitely help reduce the chance of game breaking/interrupting bugs when the game gets into it's later stages. It's a win-win for everyone, you guys get something to play, and I get your delicious feedback... :P

Update: (Red text is slightly more important so give it a read if possible)

Working on how to handle death and respawns for this. Also got the Teleport issue fixed somewhat (Though I may have caused other issues in the process lol). Oh and I did some more typing on the blog, though honestly I don't know if I really want to detail all the characters/factions/enemies as it ruins the exploration bits of first seeing someone/something in the game. Opinions on this are welcome though.

Will start working on the test level for the teleport/blink powers tomorrow, and then I'll be taking a bit of a leave from the programming/level designing side of things to do some more modeling again.

Also would really love to get some proper concept art of the characters and enemies soon (Having a good reference can help A TON when modeling stuff) if I have any artists who might be interested in the project.

Though if not, I am taking donations for it, so please if you can spare some cash, even JUST a dollar or two, I can start stockpiling some funds to simply pay for some artwork to be done. My massive thanks to anyone who decides to offer some help :heart:

Archived