Outbreak Dev Take Two

Anon989

This is me cheering you on for your game designing efforts!

Thank you Sir! You get two Smiley Face drops for that, wait no make that 3! I had to raise you an extra one for the enthusiasm shown there lol. Just promise you'll use them wisely.

Please Claim + Open your Rewards Below:

1x Cool Guy = :cool: (Uncommon Drop)

1x Lol Guy = :lol: (Common Drop)

1x Sneaky Ninja Guy = :ph34r: (!!!Rare Drop!!!)

The photographer wants to know whether pictures or footage of skies would be any use to you. I think he's planning to spend some time lying on his back in a field next to a rucksack full of beer, or something.

Turns out he found something else to do:

I don't know whether that's any use to you.

For a texture to work well with my setup it's got to be seamless from left to right, which usually means something akin to a 360 photo. That said, you did remind me of something sound design related, so I suppose that did help me :)

Weekly Wrapup (LATE):

Progress was made

And Progress was halted

But anyway, moving on:

I've got a few things to finish up from last week, then following that I'll tweak around with some modeling again. But for the most part, I'll be taking it easy this week. Need to relax some, as I've been a bit too stressed out lately.

• 3 weeks later...

this just in: people are acting like assholes over the internet

honestly, giving those kinds of people this level of attention is what they want and no amount of blog posts will change that

Honestly I just needed to vent so I went with that post as a means to address that. Don't get me wrong, I can handle insults, but it's really taxing after a while. They were getting me to the point where just thinking about having to check my email/blog was a stressful act of it's own. I really do look forward to people being allowed to just make the games they want without fear of lynch mobs. Like I said not every game needs to appeal to everyone, and even if it does bother ya, I'm more than happy to discuss it like a civil human being. No need for threats, especially doxxing/blacklisting.

I did learn a valuable lesson in not using my same name on my twitter + everything else. Next time I speak out on an issue it will be done on an alt account. Silly me thinking people would be reasonable. That said, I'm hoping things will be over by the end of this month so I can get back to posting my regular updates.

• 4 weeks later...

I support you, Wisdomcube!  I keep coming back here hoping for new updates.  I don't really understand why, but it gives me hope.

Is there anything that can be done to help the project?  Blender-ing up some clutter meshes?  Gimp up some terrain textures?  Drafting some UDK levels?

• 1 month later...

I support you, Wisdomcube!  I keep coming back here hoping for new updates.  I don't really understand why, but it gives me hope.

Is there anything that can be done to help the project?  Blender-ing up some clutter meshes?  Gimp up some terrain textures?  Drafting some UDK levels?

Thanks! I may have to take you up on that offer when I get back to work on this :)

So uh how are things going?

On pause, but not on pause. Allow me to explain:

Part One:

Reason for me disappearing for a few weeks:

So near the end of November I was speaking with my coder in front of my house. Out of nowhere I had a pretty sharp pain in my chest when breathing. This was followed by a lack of air and dizziness.

Stumbling back into my house I almost blacked out at my front door. Luckily I was able to make it to the hospital thanks to my mothers assistance. After spending the day in the ER, I was told that one of my lungs had collapsed. So lucky me got to spend some time in the hospital. Finally got home, and then promptly got a cold...

Anyways, I'm fine now, just a bit more easily winded atm with some slight pain from the ordeal still left over. So I hope that clears things up for those curious!

Part Two:

Going to do a twine version (think of text adventure style games) of this on the side while I work on my other project for $$$ and such that I can put back into this. So while I'm putting the 3D or normal version on hold, I can at least tweak + refine all the other elements/details for Outbreak. That way when I get back to it, there will be a lot more final/finished plans to follow.

I've finally been made aware of how messy I've been with everything here, so I'm making an effort to streamline everything I can. More good work, less fuck ups. Now an admission of my faults (for those curious):

• Perfectionist - there comes a point where I need to stop being so damn critical of sh!t, as obsessing over tiny details can waste SOO much time lol
  • Organization - I made 3 or so blogs already, all of which now have outdated info. Not to mention that because I'm all over the damn place, I tend to miss far too much here and on the blog
  • Over Complicated Features - Far too many stats/steps for some of the games features = pain in the ass
  • Duke Nukem Forever Complex - Always chasing after newer tech/features causing multiple redesigns and fucking up progress

Now what am I doing about these issues?

• First issue = kinda explained it already
  • Second Issue = Consolidating all the blogs I'm doing into one to cut down on missing/forgetting things
  • Third Issue = STREAMLINING THE HELL OUT OF EVERYTHING, WHY DO IN 5 STEPS THAT YOU COULD DO IN 2?!
  • Fourth Issue = Finalize ALL features before moving on to avoid wasted efforts. STICK TO THE PLAN. (That said, I do stand by the switch to UE4, that engine is wonderful lol)

Also a quick question for you all:

I've been told to check out patreon as a way of securing a decent income for my projects, any one here have experience dealing with the site? aka would you recommend it?

Sry about the lack of updates atm, my friends are feeling better, but I'm going to give them a break this weekend so I can avoid possibly getting sick from them (I'm just not willing to risk it lol).

Modeling wise I kinda died a bit after a bad windows updates caused me to have to do a reinstall of windows, during which I forgot to back up about 7hrs of work...Really broke my spirit with that one, but I'm going to finally get back to work on that today (I needed a few days off after that happened, too much anger lol). Also setup an automatic back up on an external hard drive so this will NOT ever happen again...

Oh before I forget, random question time for you guys:

You know I mentioned clothing destruction and such, but I have a quick debate for you guys to settle. We were discussing the topic of how destroyed said clothing should get.

1. My stance is that it should be damaged enough that you're exposed, but still retain enough clothing to where you could still see what you are wearing with a little effort.
  2. Both of my new guys think it should just damage the key areas (breasts, ass, genitals) to expose them but leave the majority of the other parts of said clothing intact.
  3. Final view of my friend/coder from before is that it should be in tatters. To the point where you can barely even tell what it once was. To shreds you might say lol.

Should note that this is in no ways urgent or anything, just curious what you guys think/like more.

So ... Everyone you touch gets the flu, but you're feeling fine?

I say option 1 leading to option 3, followed by discard. Option 2 is tacky. Unless something with a pair of scissors is trying to get at your breasts with the least possible damage to your shirt and without pulling the shirt off you, the damage shouldn't be just a circular hole at each breast. There comes a point where the garment no longer counts as anything but an inconvenience and snag / choke hazard and should be thrown away.

... and now to reply to a more recent post:

How does a lung collapse? Thought that required like a wound of a blade, serious impact, or gunshot. Gees man at least you're alive, glad to know you're still kicking.

The lungs are held against the inside of the ribcage by, for want of a better word, suction. There are two membranes, called the pleural membranes, one around the lungs and the other lining the ribcage. Internal and external intercostal muscles (the rib lowerers and lifters, respectively) and the diaphragm and abdominal muscles change the size of the cavity in which the lungs reside. Air pressure inside the lungs keeps them against the inside of that cavity, changing size with it.

If those membranes are ruptured, allowing air to flow into the space between them, the seal is broken and the lungs come away from the ribcage like a sucker-dart coming off a window ... in thick oil, because it's goopy in there. Usually this would be a blade, a pointy stick (running in the woods at night can be dangerous), a bullet or a fragment of rib after a major whack, but there are a few other things that can tear the lung, like ****ing around with compressed air.

Major whack:

There's a story about someone in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism)
who was living with a non-Scadian (Mixed relationships never seem to work out teu65.gif) and they were living in her, the non-Scadian's, Apt. It was an amicable break up so he moved out and she had gathered the rest of his stuff by the front door. Late one night someone began pounding on her door. She cracked it open and someone burst the security chain (they only keep honest people out) and pushed his way in. She grabbed the first thing off the top of his stack of stuff and struck her attacker. She ran to her bedroom and barricaded the door while her would be attacker screamed and ran off into the night. The police arrived some time later and found the assailant (long list of assaults and out on parole teu49.gif) at a local hospital. They talked to the girl and asked her "What did you hit him with? No charges are going to be placed on you. We just have never seen anything that causes that amount of damage on one hit!" She showed them the flanged mace that her former boyfriend had by then gifted to her. She's kept it handy ever since.

Oh, that would be rapist? He had a pulverized shoulder socket, three smashed ribs, A shattered collar bone and a collapsed lung. (snicker)

How does a lung collapse? Thought that required like a wound of a blade, serious impact, or gunshot. Gees man at least you're alive, glad to know you're still kicking.

Basically to put it as simply as possible:

What happened to me was that I had small spots on my lung that ruptured and caused my lungs to deflate. Luckily the fix is simply to be on oxygen for a while so your lungs can inflate again. Still in a bit discomfort atm from the whole deal, but I'm on some anti-inflammatory medicine for another week that will fix that.

Also glad to be alive too lol. :D

Wow!  It's almot like flanged maces were designed to be deadly weapons!

Glad to know you're back and feeling better, Wisdomcube!

Major whack:

who was living with a non-Scadian (Mixed relationships never seem to work out teu65.gif) and they were living in her, the non-Scadian's, Apt. It was an amicable break up so he moved out and she had gathered the rest of his stuff by the front door. Late one night someone began pounding on her door. She cracked it open and someone burst the security chain (they only keep honest people out) and pushed his way in. She grabbed the first thing off the top of his stack of stuff and struck her attacker. She ran to her bedroom and barricaded the door while her would be attacker screamed and ran off into the night. The police arrived some time later and found the assailant (long list of assaults and out on parole teu49.gif) at a local hospital. They talked to the girl and asked her "What did you hit him with? No charges are going to be placed on you. We just have never seen anything that causes that amount of damage on one hit!" She showed them the flanged mace that her former boyfriend had by then gifted to her. She's kept it handy ever since.

Oh, that would be rapist? He had a pulverized shoulder socket, three smashed ribs, A shattered collar bone and a collapsed lung. (snicker)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!  It's almot like flanged maces were designed to be deadly weapons!

Glad to know you're back and feeling better, Wisdomcube!

Major whack:

Good to be back =P

Also preview of the twine version is now up after a few delays (I got too caught up working on my other project), but yeah check it out over Here.

Slight update to the twine version again. More boring framework stuff to get done/outta the way before I can start working on the fun parts lol.

Didn't get as much done as I would have liked, since I've been making a LOT of progress with my other game (easy to get distracted). Will try to keep this at a weekly update pace still though :)

edit

Forgot to add, I lost the name I had for the School/College in the game, SO anyone who pitches a name here that I like + use will get a credits spot in the game :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly more useful to you, a different "effect on noise" video:

5:28 and 12:08 for the starts of the shooting.

That's .45ACP 230gr rather than a .177 8.2gr, at the same muzzle velocity. Yes, really. I think the 28-times mass difference would make it a more suitable man- or dog-stopper.

He got his hands on another.

That's no .45 ACP. Wikipedia lists .45 at 477J to 835J muzzle energy, and that stuff's more like 2712J to 4067J at the muzzle, up to 2170J at 100 yards for the slugs, up to a whole lot less than that for buckshot and up to not much for doveshot. For comparison, a .308 is 3590 at the muzzle, 3048J at 100 yards, and still 1794J (hotter than any .44 Magnum, about the same as 5.56x45mm at the muzzle) at quarter of a mile. Amazingly, you can suppress that too:

Not really quiet unless you use low-energy subsonic ammo, but hey, if you were thinking of adding such optional extras to the game, they exist! Unfortunately, he doesn't provide unsuppressed shots in the same video for comparison.

So ... how's the game?

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly more useful to you, a different "effect on noise" video:

5:28 and 12:08 for the starts of the shooting.

That's .45ACP 230gr rather than a .177 8.2gr, at the same muzzle velocity. Yes, really. I think the 28-times mass difference would make it a more suitable man- or dog-stopper.

He got his hands on another.

That's no .45 ACP. Wikipedia lists .45 at 477J to 835J muzzle energy, and that stuff's more like 2712J to 4067J at the muzzle, up to 2170J at 100 yards for the slugs, up to a whole lot less than that for buckshot and up to not much for doveshot. For comparison, a .308 is 3590 at the muzzle, 3048J at 100 yards, and still 1794J (hotter than any .44 Magnum, about the same as 5.56x45mm at the muzzle) at quarter of a mile. Amazingly, you can suppress that too:

Not really quiet unless you use low-energy subsonic ammo, but hey, if you were thinking of adding such optional extras to the game, they exist! Unfortunately, he doesn't provide unsuppressed shots in the same video for comparison.

So ... how's the game?

I like the vids :)

Onto your question:

Going a bit slowly lol. I'm a bit too busy lately to get much done :(

Also just got done with some jerk busting into my email and swapping all my passwords across a dozen+ sites lol. That was a b!tch to get fixed, but I hope I locked whoever did it out by now. Will have to watch it for a few days to make sure though.

Also my coder buddy really wants me to do a Patreon account for this stuff, so I may setup an account there to help fund things (more money I get from this stuff = more time I can put into it). Normally I'd be able to persevere without a decent income, but right now I'm really quite pressed for cash lol, combine that with school payments for books and crap...Bleh. At least gas is cheap right now? :P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived