Outbreak Dev Take Two

Anon989

IRL update:

Turns out I will be having a lot of free time coming up after next week, as the place I work at is having a lot of financial difficulties and have been forced to let most of the people go. So I guess I will be focusing this stuff while looking/waiting for a new job in the meantime lol. Part of me hates that I'm going to be broke again, but I really didn't like working with one of the guys there so I'm actually kinda relieved to not have to deal with him anymore lol. Gotta look on the bright side right? ;)

Guest mayaktheunholy

Hey, thanks for uploading to mediafire, got it downloaded and it seems to be working fine for me. I can confirm that a generic USB controller does not work by default (axes are messed up and the camera auto-rotates with no input), but I used x360ce and it worked perfectly (took me a minute to find the right directory though).

Also just a heads-up, mediafire has a "no adult content" policy last I knew. Although as long as the file name is not suspicious, it may go unnoticed. And you aren't to that point yet.

And sorry to hear about the loss of your job. I lost my job as well recently, due to medical issues (nothing too serious, just the system being jacked up mostly). I don't know about your area, but where I'm from the job market is pretty bad. Honestly I'm thinking about working on a game of my own since I have so much free time (and boredom).

Hey, thanks for uploading to mediafire, got it downloaded and it seems to be working fine for me. I can confirm that a generic USB controller does not work by default (axes are messed up and the camera auto-rotates with no input), but I used x360ce and it worked perfectly (took me a minute to find the right directory though).

Also just a heads-up, mediafire has a "no adult content" policy last I knew. Although as long as the file name is not suspicious, it may go unnoticed. And you aren't to that point yet.

And sorry to hear about the loss of your job. I lost my job as well recently, due to medical issues (nothing too serious, just the system being jacked up mostly). I don't know about your area, but where I'm from the job market is pretty bad. Honestly I'm thinking about working on a game of my own since I have so much free time (and boredom).

Nothing adult in there atm so I'm fine until later I believe :)

Also glad you could get a generic controller working, remember people asking me about that a while back and I really didn't have an answer for them.

Yeah I've lost two jobs over the course of this already lol. Between that and finding time/money for college, things can get pretty lame :(

On the topic of game designing though, I might have to recommend starting with smaller projects, as working on this game has already shown me the tremendous amount of work/learning you have to do with fancier engines like the UDK. Still there are tons of tutorials if you want to go that route, though if not I've seen some pretty cool games made with RAGS:

Also I would also definitely recommend Game Maker since it eases you into the dev process as it is really easy to learn to use.

/edit

Forgot to mention RPG Maker VXAce, which is great if you like those old turn based rpg games (Its really easy to use and there are plenty of mods for it already that you can use to really flesh out the mechanics:

/end edit

Moving on Update:

Camera is done, but my internet is being super slow atm so a video of it in action will have to wait. Going to go all take three on the body model tomorrow, and hope I finally can start making something I don't end up throwing away after a few hours lol. Hopefully it will be worth all the effort once I finally get it done.

I've seen some pretty cool games made with RAGS:

I'd add to that: http://anonymousmangames.blogspot.co.uk/

partly for the games and partly for the possible value of reading about the creative process.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

First!

I do actually enjoy talking about my games, even when I'm notoriously tight-lipped about the details. The mechanics are secret for a reason. The creation process really shouldn't be.

So, in that spirit (and because a bandwagon of developers with blogs came by and I jumped on to it), here's my blog. It will hopefully be informative and helpful to people in regards to my game creations, and helpful to me as a method of keeping on track.

The game I'm working on right now is The Trials of Taihra-Firanae, which was created for the TFGamesSite winter 2011 contest. It's not quite done yet, but there is a version up at the site. Once that's done, it's back to the magnum opus Cursed (which I am considering renaming to Changes, but I haven't made that decision yet). And then, any other games that pop into my head will likely end up here as well.

Feel free to leave comments, which I will be likely to respond to, and enjoy your stay.

---

Saturday, July 16, 2011
A Few Minor Weekend Updates

New version (7/16) up on the right.

Big changes:

- the Salon now exists, and you can get your hair cut, though that's the only option available right now (give me a break, I added it in an hour). Eventually, you'll be able to style your hair, and get other services.

- Removed the hunger timer, so that you can no longer die of hunger. You can still eat, but it's not necessary. A new hunger/food system will be added when I figure it out. I've been offered many ideas, and it'll probably end up being some kind of horrible Frankenstein amalgamation of all of them.

---

Sunday, January 1, 2012
Happy New Beer! I mean, Year!

A new year, sweet.

2011 was kind of crazy for me. Lots of stuff happened. Ah, but you don't care about that. What you care about is Cursed, and I can understand that.

The game went from something in my head and not even close to half-finished to something quite massive and, evidently, enjoyable. And it still not done. The goal forthis year is to finish it, and I think I'm on track for that. Maybe sometime around September. We'll see.

You'll notice the donation goal on the right has been reset to what it used to be. No more crazy donation goals, at least not for now. Just a pretty simple $100 a week. As before, you can request new stuff to be added to the game (if you want, you can just donate to support as well), and when I reach the goal of $100, that means that the following week, I'll continue posting new versions. If I don't reach the goal for a week, the following week will have no new versions posted.

---

Tuesday, December 31, 2013
Version 0.4.1b

More bug fixes.

---

Monday, March 3, 2014
The NEXT Update

48 hours and no major bugs reported. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, I was going through the code and looking at things that need to be completed, since that's what the next major update is going to be. Made a list and everything. Here's what I was able to find, in no particular order.

If nothing else, this should give you an idea of the timescale of a project that's meant to stretch RAGS to the limit.

Ok having a decent day already, by sheer luck or something, one of my coders managed to find me some HD sky textures that were NOT low res samples/cost $20-40. Very happy as the previous textures while nice were still simply free sample quality which isn't the best...

Side note Titanfall is out today and we're are probably going to enjoy some...err..alot of time with that today lol. Also a quick side question:

Do you guys want the men to be taller than women or the same size, I ask as I'd like them shorter personally, but I'm not sure if that would bother anyone.

In case you're curious as to why I need to know at all, I just need to set the standard for the sake of the animation stuff later on so everything can stay all nice and aligned :)

Guest mayaktheunholy

Yeah, Ttitanfall looked like it could be good but I'm short on funds and Dark Souls 2 is calling my name lol.

As to character height, it would seem more realistic to me if males were taller, as they are in RL (I mean on average of course). And I would think most people wouldn't mind either, as long as the difference isn't massive. (but I'm really more looking forward to the non-humanoid content, that's still in (eventually), isn't it?)

Yeah, Ttitanfall looked like it could be good but I'm short on funds and Dark Souls 2 is calling my name lol.

As to character height, it would seem more realistic to me if males were taller, as they are in RL (I mean on average of course). And I would think most people wouldn't mind either, as long as the difference isn't massive. (but I'm really more looking forward to the non-humanoid content, that's still in (eventually), isn't it?)

Yeah I just played that the other day at my friends house, feels different, but still pretty cool. Btw did you find the gender bender coffin in the beginning? At first I used it after killing the two big guys and was like wtf did that do...so I left got outside then noticed I had boobs and was like wtf? Is that really what that did?! And yes it was lol.

As for the height stuff, I think I'll just post a pic of the unedited base meshes since they will still be the height I have them set to atm. And as for non-human stuff, yes there will be (I really gotta get that enemy page done now, keep forgetting to do that lol).

Males are naturally taller. Females are naturally fatter. :P

Try to give variety.

Yeah weight will be adjustable so fatter/thinner people will offer some variety. Height wise I think I'm going to lock it in for the most part, granted certain enemies will be different heights, but the basic human types will be set for the sake of the animation stuff.

Here's that low res base mesh height stuff I was asking about. Please no remarks about the quality as these serve only as a quick(er) start point when I model stuff. So there ya go, height difference seem ok? I wanted it to be noticeable, but not too extreme. Seems about right to me, but I've been wrong before on stuff like this lol.

post-14438-0-89910700-1394666605_thumb.jpg

Good enough and quality doesn't matter. I say it's better than most AAA products out there today. :3

That's a fact. Game developers are getting lazier. Indie seems to be the only one who cares anymore.

My Necro World won't be high end as you'll always have modders come in to update things to fit more high tech as time goes on. Overhauls for Skyrim even exist because people were not satisfied. So really don't push too hard for Quality over quantity as quality will be updated by community members as time goes on. I'm focusing on content as to make gameplay last longer and more worth the asking price. Gameplay > graphics.

Good enough and quality doesn't matter. I say it's better than most AAA products out there today. :3

That's a fact. Game developers are getting lazier. Indie seems to be the only one who cares anymore.

My Necro World won't be high end as you'll always have modders come in to update things to fit more high tech as time goes on. Overhauls for Skyrim even exist because people were not satisfied. So really don't push too hard for Quality over quantity as quality will be updated by community members as time goes on. I'm focusing on content as to make gameplay last longer and more worth the asking price. Gameplay > graphics.

I don't think it's an issue of getting lazier, as I know quite a few guys with jobs at developers. There are just so many missteps in the management/production that things wind up going counterproductive to the game's progress. Titles getting rushed by publishers is far too common, and management that has no place in this process is required to "help" these guys along. The Shiny Object term always made me lol:

"the method of distracting incompetent (but unfirable) developers from hurting the project by derailing them into a harmless area of the game's development."

Or the Yellow Pixel:

"Counter-strategy to the phenomenon where each manager in the review process felt the need to "fix" something regardless of its relevance or value. It entails adding something obviously broken so that a producer could point it out and feel good about adding value."

Here's the link my buddy sent me on funny terms like that a while back if you're interested:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/134872/a_game_studio_culture_dictionary.php?print=1

As for price, I'm free from the get go, can't go wrong at that cost ;). But anyway, so you guys thought the height difference was alright then? I saw no objections so I'm going to move forward with that then lol.

To be honest, overly realistic models aren't exactly that big of a deal, if that's what you're referring to when you mention its low quality. I look at them and think of a more cartoony design models like the ones used on World of Whorecraft or similar. Just smooth out the edges, slap faces on them, genitals, and voila.

That's what I think at any rate.

To be honest, overly realistic models aren't exactly that big of a deal, if that's what you're referring to when you mention its low quality. I look at them and think of a more cartoony design models like the ones used on World of Whorecraft or similar. Just smooth out the edges, slap faces on them, genitals, and voila.

That's what I think at any rate.

Looking good :D

I've failed at explaining again lol, these are the models base form, as it's common for people who have to make a lot of characters to have a let's say template to quick start with. Basically, what I'm trying to say is I've yet to do ANY sculpting on them yet (That I've kept at least lol). So that's what I meant there when I said ignore the quality. Hope that wasn't too confusing lol. These just are not really representative of the end result.

But yeah thanks for the kind words so far, and I'll try not to fail too hard when working with them later tonight lol.

Will there be an option to play in third person or no?

Yup there will be, expect a similar setup to skyrim if you've played that.

Update:

Btw redid my zbrush layout to try and keep me efficient, and while I was doing that I opted to mess with the male head instead as a break from the other attempts with the female one, and I have to say I think this worked (Just needed a temp change of scenery I guess lol). Finally making a decent headway with this one, and after that I'll jump back to the female head, before focusing solely on finishing up the bodies. Woot! :P

So there ya go, height difference seem ok?

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/height-chart.shtml

Country                       Average male height           Average female height         Ratio
Argentina                     174.46 cm (5 ft 8.6 in)       161.03 cm (5 ft 3.4 in)       1.083
Australia                     178.4 cm (5' 10.2")           163.9 cm (5' 4.5")            1.088
Bahrain                       165.1 cm (5' 5")              154.7 cm (5' 1")              1.067
Canada                        174 cm (5' 8.5")              161.0 cm (5' 3.4")            1.081
France                        174.1 cm (5' 8.5")            161.9 cm (5' 3.7")            1.075
Iran                          174.24 cm (5' 8.6")           160.0 cm (5' 3")              1.089
Nigeria                       163.8 cm (5' 4.5")            157.8 cm (5' 2.1")            1.038
Norway                        179.9 cm (5' 10.8")           167.2 cm (5' 5.9")            1.076
United Kingdom                176.8 cm (5' 9.6")            163.7 cm (5' 4.4")            1.080
Vietnam                       167 cm                        156 cm                        1.071

Well, there's a fascinating revelation. Sort them by male height height or by male-to-female height ratio and you get the same three at the start: Nigeria, Bahrain, Vietnam. I don't know what that implies. By the looks of things, as long as the male models are 3% to 10% taller than the female ones, it'll look reasonable. Yours are 599 and 545, which is a 1.099 ratio and slightly high, but it looks reasonable enough to me. More digging needed? Various sources say 2.4, 2.5 or 3.9 inches standard deviation, which means anything 159.4 to 170 cm would be unexceptional for a woman in the UK and we can crudely apply the same range to men for 170.5 to 183.1 cm as a usual range, giving us 1.149 to 1.003 as an unsurprising ratio of heights, and 1.04 to 1.119 as the expected range of height ratios (comparing mean height +/- SD to mean height and mean height to mean height +/- SD gives 1.04 or 1.042 as the lower ratio and 1.109 or 1.119 as the higher ratio) so 4% to 12% height ratio shouldn't surprise anyone.

So there ya go, height difference seem ok?

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/height-chart.shtml

Country                       Average male height           Average female height         Ratio
Argentina                     174.46 cm (5 ft 8.6 in)       161.03 cm (5 ft 3.4 in)       1.083
Australia                     178.4 cm (5' 10.2")           163.9 cm (5' 4.5")            1.088
Bahrain                       165.1 cm (5' 5")              154.7 cm (5' 1")              1.067
Canada                        174 cm (5' 8.5")              161.0 cm (5' 3.4")            1.081
France                        174.1 cm (5' 8.5")            161.9 cm (5' 3.7")            1.075
Iran                          174.24 cm (5' 8.6")           160.0 cm (5' 3")              1.089
Nigeria                       163.8 cm (5' 4.5")            157.8 cm (5' 2.1")            1.038
Norway                        179.9 cm (5' 10.8")           167.2 cm (5' 5.9")            1.076
United Kingdom                176.8 cm (5' 9.6")            163.7 cm (5' 4.4")            1.080
Vietnam                       167 cm                        156 cm                        1.071

Well, there's a fascinating revelation. Sort them by male height height or by male-to-female height ratio and you get the same three at the start: Nigeria, Bahrain, Vietnam. I don't know what that implies. By the looks of things, as long as the male models are 3% to 10% taller than the female ones, it'll look reasonable. Yours are 599 and 545, which is a 1.099 ratio and slightly high, but it looks reasonable enough to me. More digging needed? Various sources say 2.4, 2.5 or 3.9 inches standard deviation, which means anything 159.4 to 170 cm would be unexceptional for a woman in the UK and we can crudely apply the same range to men for 170.5 to 183.1 cm as a usual range, giving us 1.149 to 1.003 as an unsurprising ratio of heights, and 1.04 to 1.119 as the expected range of height ratios (comparing mean height +/- SD to mean height and mean height to mean height +/- SD gives 1.04 or 1.042 as the lower ratio and 1.109 or 1.119 as the higher ratio) so 4% to 12% height ratio shouldn't surprise anyone.

Nicely done there! Thanks for the info :)

Mini-Update:

Had a brief few days of excessive Debbie Downer attitudes, so progress with modeling was minimal. Though I did use that time for some writing, I write a lot better when I'm feeling down. Not sure why, just works that way for me lol. Moving on, that luckily got me outta the little rut I was in, and I got the intro scene completely story boarded out. Which is nice as I finally can stop imagining how I want to get things started. But yeah I'm aiming to get the base male head done in the next few days, so I'll try my best to see that done. That way I can get to the female "stuff" you've probably been waiting for since this started lol.

Coding wise, my friends have put that on hold to finish up some app games I had half made from a while back. This is to help get me some money while I'm jobless, and honestly it's incredibly nice of them to go outta their way like that for me :heart:

edit

They just put out the UDK4...going to see how hard it is to port things over lol. It's so shiny and new, I must have it...Seriously thought that was going to be released at the END of the year. This was a really neat surprise!

Ok...so having been messing around UE4, I have to put my vote on an engine swap. Sure I have to relearn some things, but so far it's just such an amazing upgrade from the previous version, that I almost don't want to go back now after using it lol.

But we're a group so I put it to a vote, as of right now 2 of us are in favor of changing it over. The other two are still checking it out, but honestly if they're like me, we're are probably going to switch. There's just so much awesomeness in the new version lol.

Also back to modeling today, as I tested enough of the UE4 for the moment. Kinda bouncing around things with modeling, but they are very slowly shaping up.

edit

ENGINE SWAP IS A GO!

Guest mayaktheunholy

Ok...so having been messing around UE4, I have to put my vote on an engine swap. Sure I have to relearn some things, but so far it's just such an amazing upgrade from the previous version, that I almost don't want to go back now after using it lol.

But we're a group so I put it to a vote, as of right now 2 of us are in favor of changing it over. The other two are still checking it out, but honestly if they're like me, we're are probably going to switch. There's just so much awesomeness in the new version lol.

Also back to modeling today, as I tested enough of the UE4 for the moment. Kinda bouncing around things with modeling, but they are very slowly shaping up.

edit

ENGINE SWAP IS A GO!

Engine upgrade? Sounds like a good investment. Short-term delay for long-term benefit and all.

Just wanted to let you know people are still watching and interested.

Archived