Outbreak Dev Take Two

Anon989

Hey after receiving a message alerting me to a possible issue with paypal for donations (eventually the adult part of this project could violate their TOS, a detail I missed before...), I need to now find an alternative to it. So any suggestions you guys have?

Guest mayaktheunholy

Update: (Red text is slightly more important so give it a read if possible)

Working on how to handle death and respawns for this. Also got the Teleport issue fixed somewhat (Though I may have caused other issues in the process lol). Oh and I did some more typing on the blog, though honestly I don't know if I really want to detail all the characters/factions/enemies as it ruins the exploration bits of first seeing someone/something in the game. Opinions on this are welcome though.

Will start working on the test level for the teleport/blink powers tomorrow, and then I'll be taking a bit of a leave from the programming/level designing side of things to do some more modeling again.

Also would really love to get some proper concept art of the characters and enemies soon (Having a good reference can help A TON when modeling stuff) if I have any artists who might be interested in the project.

Though if not, I am taking donations for it, so please if you can spare some cash, even JUST a dollar or two, I can start stockpiling some funds to simply pay for some artwork to be done. My massive thanks to anyone who decides to offer some help :heart:

I would have to agree about the details. I think most players would rather discover all that in game. I would suggest you just post general info about things like that and let players (those who want to) dig into the lore during gameplay.  I for one always had fun digging for the lore in games that include that kind of thing.  Gives one another reason to explore thoroughly.

I would donate if I could but as I mentioned before, I lost my job recently too.  :(

Now bear in mind I don't have any experience with this type of thing, but from the small bit of research I just did these two seem to be all right:

Paxum

Redpass

CCBill is widely used in the adult community, but it seems that their fees are pretty outrageous.

Hmm well at least I have somewhere to start looking into. For the time being though Paypal should be fine as there isn't any adult content to get angry over yet. Though if you or anyone else learns or finds out something new, be sure to let me know!

Update: (Red text is slightly more important so give it a read if possible)

Working on how to handle death and respawns for this. Also got the Teleport issue fixed somewhat (Though I may have caused other issues in the process lol). Oh and I did some more typing on the blog, though honestly I don't know if I really want to detail all the characters/factions/enemies as it ruins the exploration bits of first seeing someone/something in the game. Opinions on this are welcome though.

Will start working on the test level for the teleport/blink powers tomorrow, and then I'll be taking a bit of a leave from the programming/level designing side of things to do some more modeling again.

Also would really love to get some proper concept art of the characters and enemies soon (Having a good reference can help A TON when modeling stuff) if I have any artists who might be interested in the project.

Though if not, I am taking donations for it, so please if you can spare some cash, even JUST a dollar or two, I can start stockpiling some funds to simply pay for some artwork to be done. My massive thanks to anyone who decides to offer some help :heart:

I would have to agree about the details. I think most players would rather discover all that in game. I would suggest you just post general info about things like that and let players (those who want to) dig into the lore during gameplay.  I for one always had fun digging for the lore in games that include that kind of thing.  Gives one another reason to explore thoroughly.

I would donate if I could but as I mentioned before, I lost my job recently too.  :(

Yeah that echoes what I've been thinking quite a bit. Thanks for the input.

Also have to say having no job is annoying (I need moneys lol), but maybe it's for the best if I can find something better down the road as a result of this. Gotta look on the bright side eh? :)

Update:

Slightly higher production values than I initially intended for the Teleport/Blink Tech Demo/Test Level. It's got a neat VR training level theme that I'm enjoying. But anyway, just finished the basic tutorial segments covering the controls and now I'm moving on to the fun obstacle course parts. I've also got some minor dialogue bits to do now that I borrowed my buddies mic, but I won't say who will be handling that dialogue just yet lol.

This might seem sneaky and "back-doorish" but could you have two separate site?  One for progress with the engine which contains no adult content and paypal donation, and the other with the adult content and NOT linked from the first page?

On second thought, that might be kinda tough to maintain.

This might seem sneaky and "back-doorish" but could you have two separate site?  One for progress with the engine which contains no adult content and paypal donation, and the other with the adult content and NOT linked from the first page?

On second thought, that might be kinda tough to maintain.

I suppose I could just host all the tech demos separately on another site, but I'm not sure if that would work. Have to do some research into how far paypal will look into things or if it only really happens when users flag things maybe? On a side note, I'm going to go read the TOS and see if there are any loopholes I can exploit. Never know, I might get lucky lol.

edit

Further looking has found that there are some suggesting your idea and a bunch just saying to go with advertisements instead :/

Will keep looking though lol.

double edit

Donations are now up on an old blog I made last year, but never really used. Should be a good place to avoid trouble if I keep using it to host tutorials and do some of my side stuff. That way it can at least seem like I'm taking donations for not adult things. Should fix this issue for the time being until I come up with something better.

Update:

Did some more minor bug fixes, and got to the end of the beginner section (Had to do some tweaks following some feedback) of the Tech Demo for Blink/Teleport. Here's a teaser from the very beginning of the map, since a few of you were msging me to post some more visual updates. You can see the tail end of this section at the tower in the back :)

TechDemoPreviewShot.png

Edit

Also the new mic I got is sooo much better than my old one lol. Hooray for higher quality voice/vocals for this :P

Update:

Just need to finish up the intro sequence and tweak some sound effects and the Alpha test of this level and it's features will be good to go.

Preemptive note though: This first version will be primarily for testing purposes, things are still missing and the level is not yet done atm. So if you are not a fan of possible annoying bugs/map design, please wait until I can get it to the Beta or the Final version. Otherwise I'm happy to hear/receive whatever feedback you guys may have once I put a link out here to test it out. Expect that soon :)

Might I suggest, if it isn't already present, a dummy enemy at one point of the test, for some combat tests, like hit boxes (shoot them in the head?), damage to character (from standard melee attack) and etc?

Haven't got to shooting yet, sorry! But there will be one when we get to it, if you guys like this approach :)

I just did this one first since I wanted some practice with packaging/level design workflow on the new engine. Plus it was fun to play with in a not so serious setting, gotta fit in some entertainment when you can right? :cool:

As for AI, the behavioral system for setting them up in UE4 is still a bit under development atm, so we're waiting for a more finished/polished setup before we start messing around with them.

Moving on:

Also the Alpha of the level has finally been uploaded. Read the details and the readme if possible before playing though, there are some notes to take note of...No torrent atm, but I'll make one if you guys prefer it over mediafire. But yeah Link for ya:

http://obdbtt.blogspot.com/2013/12/downloads-and-patch-notes.html

Edit

Video in case you wanna just see it rather than download:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ccfN5Yrv-4

So I'm going to hope that this has been working well for you guys? Well I'm going to try and finish it up tomorrow, then I'll do another update if anything is bugging out. Then I'll be focusing on modeling and such for a while, though they will still be setting up some more blueprint/code stuff without me.

But yeah let me know if anyone is having any issues with the test level and I'll try and get them fixed asap for the next version.

this game is making me anxious on wanting to play the full game but i must be patient

Little by little I'll make sure it get's there :)

That said, I'm glad to hear you're excited for it. I feel a bit weird when I say this, but even just seeing people say things like that really makes working on this a lot more enjoyable. I will do my best not to disappoint ;)

Random Side question for you guys:

Based on what you know of the game, are there any adult artists that you would like to see handle the concept art side of this? I have a few in mind atm, but I'm curious if I may overlooked anyone who might be even better. So if you know anyone who you think could be a good fit, shoot me a link here to their site/deviant art page/hentai foundry/etc...

Thanks, I'll have to give them a look later today :)

Unrelated Side Note:

Slight delay on the level design stuff, new update on the engine that I was waiting for to simplify/upgrade the camera setup. Not sure how long that will take me to figure out, but hopefully it won't be too long. Just thought I'd give a heads up.

Ooh, I would second Ganassa. They did a great Left 4 Dead comic that probably works well with what you are doing. Called Zoey, Watch Your Ass.

Yeah I think I remember seeing that a while back. Was good stuff, if I remember right.

Side Note:

Goals for today: Finish Fixing Health stuff, Finish up the Camera stuff, and avoid playing the new Dark Souls on the PC...that game is not too good for my productivity lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Break time is over, took a weekish off due to some IRL stuff stressing me out too much. Feeling a bit better now though so I'll be starting work on things again today.

Goal wise for today is to get the blog looking less like a game design document and more like a game site. That means stripping a lot of things down again, and starting fresh. Luckily, I got already got the layout planned so it shouldn't take longer than today to get it all changed up :)

After that I'll finish up the last few areas of the test level if I have the time today. If not I can probably get that in tomorrow.

Finished the Blog, and updated what needed to be tweaked. Feel much better now :P

Check it out if you're interested.

Will do the rest of the level design stuff later today.

edit

Also tweaked the front page here to reflect the new summary from the blog.

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna keep an eye on this.

I'm not familiar with blogspot, is there a way to have new blog posts emailed to me? Or notification via email about a new post?

I have no idea, will have to google it and get back to ya. (I'll edit this post)

edit

I did some looking, and found I needed to add an option to the blog. So I just got that up, just enter your email and you should be notified each time I post there. Let me know if it works btw :)

Long time no see Update:

Lots of irl stuff going on lately that really had me shuffled around quite a bit. Still managed to squeeze in some work though. Did a fair amount of writing/redesign following some feedback and gameplay tweaks we made recently (Had to make sure things still made some degree of sense lol).

Also finished the Blink/Teleport Demo level, only to have an error/crash setback an entire days work (I was stupid and forgot to save every now and then, that autosave was just too annoying lol). Needless to say I won't be remaking the additional 4 segments I lost, but I will be combining the basics of all them all into one final course/section. I'll have that done tomorrow though as I'm currently making some tweaks to the Blink power that need testing to ensure that it's bug free.

Camera stuff is just about done, only one final bug/error that needs squashing, and I'll be officially done with all that.

Seeing as I needed some art to do some modeling, I finally went on a concept art quest to gather everything I could to use as inspiration for the character and environmental designs. Yeah it sucks that I can't get custom work done for this (Need a fair amount of cash income to cover each piece), but this is the only other option I have so I'll just have to make the best of it ;)

So just to list some coming goals:

I'll be finishing the health system finally after this, and probably setup the basic framework for respawning/death as well. From there I'm going to focus on modeling the main character so I can get to work on all the customization morphs and such that will likely end up eating a bunch of my time lol.

Also will be trying to get the others to participate a bit more when they have the time, since right now I've been running solo on this (sorry couldn't resist making a joke about that game, we must never forget lol).

Keep it up bro, everyone is eager to see what you put out. 

Just reminded me of that scene in Idiocracy about Rita getting arrested for not putting out lol, but yeah I'm working on it.

Random Personal Side Note/Story Time:

It's funny how you go into making games thinking how hard can it be? I've got a great idea/plan that can't fail! Then ya quickly and consistently get floored by the sheer complexity of things at times lol.

When I went to school for this stuff, we lost almost half the class in a couple of my courses by around the third week. Still, ya tough it out and just keep on learning a bit more as ya go on. Soon enough things aren't so bad anymore, and the stuff that had ya stumped seems like child's play now. This pattern still repeats consistently for me to do this day, just keeps upping the ante a bit more. I'm fine with that though, it helps show how much I've been learning and what I still need to work on. Though it would be wise to not ask me how much I enjoy it when I'm stuck figuring something out over the course of 3-4 days lol.

But yeah moral of the story is that good game design is a LOT of hard work (Some people just aren't aware of the time and effort involved), and all that said, I will continue to do my best to get this to a playable/finished state.

But that's enough of me for now as I've got some work to get back to ^_^

Glad to hear a fellow dev is still among the living. Keep up the good work. Eager to see it pay off with yet another demo of some sort. When down the line, contact me if you need voices. I can do innocent light and evil dark types, I was even able at one point to sound like a Ghoul from FONV. :/

Archived