Massively votes TESO be biggest FLOP!

snip:

Instead they should make a multiplayer for Skyrim with a drop in/out like in borderlands and with plugin/mod system like it was in Neverwinter Nights. It would be great to explore some custom content with a friend by your side.

snip:

Imagine a MMO, that completely allows third party software and therefore modding, similar to SIMs, just in TES style. THIS would actually draw me back into this scene maybe.

snip:

Mod-ability is what made PC gaming KING! 

A trend seemingly forgotten, yet long overdue, and the only market still wide open for the wannabe WoW killer. The evercrack mechanic was a mistake from the day it was conceived; "apes collecting coconuts" model [stat driven game] is so tired it amazing there are still apes willing to throw real coconuts at it.  Guild Wars Original almost hit true, but lacking capital had to pull short as ArenaNet was the young start-up and competing against a Blizzard behemoth; just a bunch of guys who left WoW development knowing it was the wrong path. Same guys consequently left ArenaNet during development of GW2, knowing likewise things were heading wrong. And now GW2, the free WoW Wannabe, is MMO dead-wood.

Funcom tried with Age of Conan, but waffled early, under an ear-piercing whine by WoW stat-crack addicts wanting more WoW. WoW was the worst thing that could have ever happened to the MMO genre; profitable yes, but completely destructive. The guy who invented pen-paper rpg lamented the use of stat progress as the focal point completely shreds immersion. Funcom now gets it, but the company is too weak and fragmented.

Sims did get it right, and profited. Yet the two ideas, fantasy rpg MMO and sandbox just -- hasn't --- gelled --- yet. Like real society, the nature of a stat-driven culture requires iron-fisted control over the assets and resources ie --- slave culture, chains on progress, shackled to defined paths.... MMO genre is just more a bad online version of an amusement park developed by well-meaning clowns that discover very evil, tyrannical systems to get what they want: more coconuts.

TESO seems much the same. Gonna have to wait for spiritual successor to Sims and Guild Wars Original, Age of Conan (early release), ultima Online. I don't think current apes have any balls left to squeeze. We're stuck with evil clowns sporting shriveled coconuts. 

I don't know how someone can say that a game is a flop or a big success before it's actually released.

I don't know why but i see a lot of people having bad prejudice about TESO. It's like there is some sort of crusade against this game and i can't see why. 

I don't know how someone can say that a game is a flop or a big success before it's actually released.

I don't know why but i see a lot of people having bad prejudice about TESO. It's like there is some sort of crusade against this game and i can't see why. 

Because when a huge segment of your beta testers say it is bad then it`s a good guess that it will be bad.

And MMO fanbois/girls being as vocal as they are you would think you would be seeing threads about how it it the next coming

of Christ (ala Wildstar)

Guest corespore

What i would have liked to see was a version of TES where a friend could join the story line of the game and play along, not a full-blown MMO. I don't know why anyone assumed that TES fans of all people would have wanted the MMO experience. The entire reason people are so into the TES games is the customization aspect of the game not being bugged by screaming kids while your trying to enjoy your game. Perhaps the promise of the mega-server dividing up players according to pre-set preferences may come to pass and those who want to play the game sans pre-teen trolls may happen but that's about as likely as my saying i'm a Skyrim game modder is going to get me laid.  MMO's have become nothing but a micro-transaction black hole where people throw their money down never to be seen again, TESO is not going to be any different and the game devs have already admitted to piling on the micro-transaction BS. The game will explode for the first few month until everyone is forced to dump out their wallets just to get end-game content, after a few months gamers will become jaded and move on at which point the game will go F2P. And just like every MMO before once it goes F2P it's only a matter of time before it gets shuttered and we all migrate back to our single player games.

Because when a huge segment of your beta testers say it is bad then it`s a good guess that it will be bad.

And MMO fanbois/girls being as vocal as they are you would think you would be seeing threads about how it it the next coming

of Christ (ala Wildstar)

Except that most of the people who get into betas aren't the one who are there to test the game it's always the little shits who just want to play it first before everyone else, then they bitch their brains out and tell everyone it sucks when they find out that it has issues.

All I can say to those types of people is. NO SHIT it has issues it's a BETA TEST the whole point is for you to TEST the FUCKING thing and tell them what needs fixed!!!

The over all point is that people are making bias claims about a game they haven't even gotten to play. Some say "well I have this many years playing MMOs so I am able to make such a determination" I've got just as many years playing MMOs and I can tell you that no one can make such a claim based on nothing but what comes out of a beta test(s) as the content of a beta is always incomplete and nothing like the completed version. People also say "well it's being made by Bethesda you know it's going to have loads of bugs". FYI TESO isn't being made by the same group that does the SP TES games so how can they make such a claim?

I've also seen "it's going to fail because it will be like any other MMO questing Grinding etc. etc." Tell me what does one do in Skyrim? (other then screw every female character in the game world....I know you guys do so don't deny it. :P) You do quests along side the main story line that helps you level no different then in an MMO. Sure there are some aspects of an MMO that have to be implemented to make an MMO work, sadly there is no getting around that.

All in all I'm seeing a lot of bias as a side effect of two things. One peoples lack of faith in Bethesda and by extension Zenimax Online Studios just because they happen to be owned by the same parent company and two People's hatred of the fact that they are trying to branch the TES franchise out beyond the realm of SP.

of Christ (ala Wildstar)

Really? Because every time that i hear someone criticize TESO it never says anything besides "I don't like it, MMO is a bad idea"

I've yet to find someone who had a real critique, that put on the spots real problems, with clear example and not just a vague and totally stupid "i don't like it so the game is bad"

I have the feeling that most of the people that don't like TESO have this opinion just because they don't like MMOs or they don't like the fact that it's a spin-off and not the next TES.

Don't get me wrong, since i plan to buy TESO i would love criticism in order to understand better if it's a good sale, but i've yet to find someone who don't like TESO because of a real reason, based on real problems, and not just a "i had the feeling that it's not good for me so i will label it as shit"

Yes you have the right idea. Don't dismiss it out right but don't expect it to be some uber MMO that makes all others look like old school Atari games (Did I just date myself?....Oh well) It simple isn't going to happen. It's like I said above the "golden age" of MMOs is dead, buried, and forgotten It's not coming back you just have to live with what you get.

This reminds me a lot of the pre-release-discussions about The Old Republic. And somehow the idea of the devs seems to be the same: Take a massive (or in case of Edler Scrolls and Skyrim at least very popular) franchise and make an MMO out of it. Success guaranteed. Or not so much...

And you do not need to be prohpetic to say what will be the issue with TESO when its released: The starting areas will be quite story-driven and fleshed out, but the more you play the less content will be there. Server-Problems. People complaining about the support, about not enough endgame. Unbalanced classes. Unfair PvP. Not enough RP. Crappy loot. Bugs and glitches. A stupid ingame-F2P-Shop. Lore-Raping. WOW-Kiddies ruining everything and so forth...And the I-Net will be full of mockery as it already is and always will be.

And me? Maybe I'll give it a try if its F2P. Just to see what its like. But MMOs never really were my genre. I like to play one now and then, but mostly just to pass some time and follow some chats as I slaughter some monsters. Maybe that's the problem with todays MMOs?: Why playing (and paying) some AAA-MMO when you can chat and play some silly browser-game while on Facebook? It's basically the same thing anyway...

Ah...whatever. SWTOR "killed" my hopes for a true Knights of the old Republic 3 - at least TESO won't hardly be the end of Elder-Scrolls-Single-Games. Yet sadly it might take a while until one is released again...likely no in-house-competition wanted at Bethesda. Which is my major gripe with TESO actually....

i met a friend last days, we both played skyrim. i'm talking about teso might be something but he just nailed it with a simple argument not worth playing:

"have you seen these character animations in this original pre movie? they move like sticks. it's like animation from 1990"

on the other day i asked something steam realated on forums.bethesta.com, my topic got banned and i got 6-7 steam hater emails in my forum emailbox.

i guess these guys knows already now best, that their game will be kind of flop.

This reminds me a lot of the pre-release-discussions about The Old Republic. And somehow the idea of the devs seems to be the same: Take a massive (or in case of Edler Scrolls and Skyrim at least very popular) franchise and make an MMO out of it. Success guaranteed. Or not so much...

And you do not need to be prohpetic to say what will be the issue with TESO when its released: The starting areas will be quite story-driven and fleshed out, but the more you play the less content will be there. Server-Problems. People complaining about the support, about not enough endgame. Unbalanced classes. Unfair PvP. Not enough RP. Crappy loot. Bugs and glitches. A stupid ingame-F2P-Shop. Lore-Raping. WOW-Kiddies ruining everything and so forth...And the I-Net will be full of mockery as it already is and always will be.

And me? Maybe I'll give it a try if its F2P. Just to see what its like. But MMOs never really were my genre. I like to play one now and then, but mostly just to pass some time and follow some chats as I slaughter some monsters. Maybe that's the problem with todays MMOs?: Why playing (and paying) some AAA-MMO when you can chat and play some silly browser-game while on Facebook? It's basically the same thing anyway...

Ah...whatever. SWTOR "killed" my hopes for a true Knights of the old Republic 3 - at least TESO won't hardly be the end of Elder-Scrolls-Single-Games. Yet sadly it might take a while until one is released again...likely no in-house-competition wanted at Bethesda. Which is my major gripe with TESO actually....

I played MMOs for over a decade and they can be fun if well made. WoW isn't that bad, actually this was the MMO I played the longest time, almost five years. WoW isn't about grafics, it's about game/combat mechanics, team play and beating bossmobs and competing with other guilds, servers or even teams from other continents. It's very time consuming though, if you want to belong to a hardcore raiding guild.

One of the major issues in MMOs is classbalancing PvP and PvE wise. In my opinion the Blizzard team isn't doing a bad job there.

SWTOR was another thing...People still claim this MMO failed so much, because there wasn't enough content. In my opinion it failed because of severe technical faults and the cloud working thing had to do with it. Leveling your char was actually fun, but watching serious balancing issues in PvE and PvP for over one and a half year was no fun. The need to use a non customable UI was no fun. Having no real search function for the Market was no fun. The handling of the market UI was an insult. The emptyness of many worlds was no fun.

SWTOR had so much potential, but they failed because of such things. I often heard the lame excuse "WoW wasn't pefect too in the beginning". Yep, it wasn't, but now it almost is and a new MMO has to compete with that. WoW is relative well balanced, offers great boss encounters and allows some sort of very useful .lua based mods. People will give a new MMO maybe half a year to get such standards, not more. When you release a MMO you need to know that, because customers do not just appear out of nowhere, they are mainly people who played other MMOs before.  

Nothing against well made MMOs, not even TESO, but if you ask me...a TES VI with a proper construction kit from the beginning would by my choice :-)

Because it is! Having participated in beta it's another mmo with TES name with skyrim's UI slapped on it.

People should've known that ZENIMAX doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to mmos... and they think people will PAY to play that!? Pfft! (The biggest travesty was that I couldn't mod it to death! I swear, I love that modders make TES games a lot better than what the original developers intended and much more immersive, you know you suck at what you do when modifiers make your game better for you.)

Guest Ragna_Rok

Because it is! Having participated in beta it's another mmo with TES name with skyrim's UI slapped on it.

People should've known that ZENIMAX doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to mmos... and they think people will PAY to play that!? Pfft! (The biggest travesty was that I couldn't mod it to death! I swear, I love that modders make TES games a lot better than what the original developers intended and much more immersive, you know you suck at what you do when modifiers make your game better for you.)

true... well, someone had to make a game-engine for modders to have something to mod :D

Imagine a MMO, that completely allows third party software and therefore modding, similar to SIMs, just in TES style. THIS would actually draw me back into this scene maybe.

you hit the jackpot. this is impossible to be realized, all gamers need to have the same setup. if for example we talk about the conjuration magic, all players would need to have the ressources installed for a ... lets say, conjure-mighty-mudcrab-spell... for just one gamer to use it.

the only thing they could do would be to add content over time. or, even worse, change the content after like some months. just my opinion, but i think the game is dead before being born. all tes-games ive ever played lived so long (stayed interesting) because you could tweak your game. i would even go so far to assume that its close to impossible to meet another player that runs the exactly same setup as you do, well, once after you got into mods i mean.

This 100%. I used to play Mu online and got into the modding scene on that game after coming from Jedi Knight. It was one of those choose a class-you're stuck with those skills type shit. We changed everything enough so that any character could use any skill/weapon/armor. I tried Perfect world/Lineage, but I didn't like it as much as Mu-which was pretty much a Diablo clone I'm told(I never played Diablo). It's too bad they never agree with these types of changes. I never played Sims online, I heard quite a bit about that, but the closest thing to being a moddable mmo is second life-I hate that game with a passion. MMOs are too much of the same nowadays unless you've never played them before-you'll be interested for a few hours, but eventually you'll get bored. It would be nice to have something like minecraft client/server setups, but obviously that isn't doable because having more than one game installed, or even with interchangeable/addon BSAs, it would get too big.

There's probably a bethesda person looking for p/r damage control lurking around different forums reading these posts. Biggest red flag: tons people labeled this a flop/wow clone before they even started working on it.

2Z1hazS.png

This could of all been avoided if you had just worked on Fallout or a real TeS game.

The closest people got to modding in mmos I remember was FFXI Viewer, going through the DAT files, photoshopping/editing the models. (RIP)

There WAS a program for FFXIV pre-2.0 called Altana/Eorzea viewer I believe, but the creators were slapped with a cease and desist order. 

There's always reskinning... if something like this was implemented and an mmo allowed players to share their edits/reskins of (well anything, while signing an NDA/NCA of sorts) it'd be golden...then again this is ZENIMAX were talking about here, I'm hoping for something that a company of their caliber will never have lol.

The only hope I hold out for this game is that I hear private servers will be possible, and hopefully with those we'll be able to host modded servers ( A la DayZ, for lack of a better example) and there we'll be able to play in peace with our mods and without hundreds of other players bothering us.

I once played a mmorpg for about a month, probably the saddest month of my entire fucking life, during which I've met a lot of sad people - either retarded teenagers or 30+ years old no-lives with sad stories about domestic problems to tell. Just thinking about it makes me very, very sad. If I'm about to play something-rpg online ever again it needs to be nwn style, otherwise you'd have to pay me in order to force me to play or kidnap me Al-Qaeda style because I'd rather play DA2 with my feets.

BTW, Those TESO gameplay videos have some very unpleasant, telekinetic effect on the sandwiches I've just eaten, though I'm genuinely shocked that something so bland and generic can exist in our universe - it's hell of a achievement, if not a miracle. Someone should inform the Vatican, maybe someone will become saint over this.

Path of Exile is an amazing mmo, free and what diablo 3 should have been.

I got to try TESO and actually removed it from my computer, it just didn't feel like an elder scrolls game, like some have said give us skyrim with server architecture, link it to nexus and allow the server admin to create the world, anyone joining downloads the mods and you all go have fun, basic level scaling etc would have been fun but sadly won't happen.

I quite like mmo games currently I spend some time in EVE, STO, warframe and path of exile, I can forgive the bufgs, glitchy stuff and animation of beta, it is beta after all but it doesn't feel like an elder scrolls game wish I could explain it better feels like a Daoc/wow rip with an ES skin and lore.

I'll find out for myself on Friday as I'm in the stress test weekend. I'm really not all that bothered tbh but it's been a couple of years since I was last in a closed beta so curiosity will probably get the better of me on the day.

From all I've read so far, what's frustrating me most is that  TES has bags of potential that seems to be going begging. They should have gone full on sandbox MMO, Darkfall but with TES sheen and all the AAA trimmings - kerching! Especially as they don't come along often, we'd be falling over ourselves to get in on it.

Golden opportunity to do it right, stick to the basic footprint, make sure it reeks of TES but with real folk running about, job done .Dressing up a generic MMO in TES clothes though, that'll deserve to fail because it's taking a dump on the franchise. 

Archived