Miraak bugged...

Mephisto_VI

I reached the final fight with Miraak, and found out he's stuck in Ethereal form no matter what I have done, short of going ALL the way through Apocrypha from start to finish (that was a huge pain I do not wish to repeat if at all possible.)  I have tried being farther from the dragon than him, killing all the dragons then fighting him, using my least damaging spells/weapons (1 point damage at a time takes forever to test...) and nothing has worked, even doing all the above in one try.  I even tried downloading the UOP for Dragonborn to see if that made a difference.  Nothing has worked.  Is there anything I can do to fix all this?  Even using the console doesn't seem to work on him.  I have tried kill, resurrect 1, and even trying set his health back to full.  What commands might I have missed?  I have yet to get his ID and use pref to target him though.

I know I have an actual save at the entrance to Apocrypha, but the only save I have right before loading into the Miraak fight is an auto save and I am leery of it.  On a side note, when he absorbs the dragon's soul in my current troubleshooting, he does NOT return to full health if this helps.

Welcome to my personal Hell from earlier this year. Even with the unofficial patch for Dragonborn, the only way I found to get around this is a combination of saving after each successful time he takes a soul and doesn't lock up and fist fighting him to slowly bring his health down to something that hopefully wouldn't cause him to lock up.

And even then, it took me nearly 40 reloads over the course of the fight to actually win.

Well, I have no problems with that.
Try doing it with all your mods turned off, so you see if it works. If it does and you can afford it than save it after you are done, if you can´t afford it (losing too many things or whatever) than try disabling various mods to see if it works. If disabling mods doesnt help... than I´m not sure what to do... perhaps using command to advance in q, but I don´t recommend it  :-/

it is right Miraak must only all three "dragon souls" absorb it!
only then will he be defeated, but not from you, he dies by the making of "Hermaeus mora". I took me very long to find out that.
I hope you could understand me, I'm German!

deutsch \ german !

es ist richtig ,Miraak muß erst alle drei "drachenseelen" in sich aufnehmen !
erst dann wird er besiegbar sein , aber nicht von dir , er stirbt durch die macht von "hermaeus mora" . ich habe sehr lange gebraucht um das heraus zu finden .
ich hoffe du konntest mich verstehen , ich bin deutscher !

edit: do not go into the melee, better is the remote fight (bow, magic).

nicht in den nahkampf gehen , besser ist der fernkampf ( bogen , magie ) .

Nope, no luck.  He keeps targeting Relonikiiv (spelling?), the 2nd dragon.

I had that problem.  Used all of the suggested console commands to finish the quest, but Hermaeus never appeared and Miraack would not die or glitched into the ground.  Finally just gave up.

I beat him the second time with a different character and if I remember correctly, I was playing in highest difficulty.  I think the key to avoiding some of the glitches is to chip away at his health.  He spews some scripted dialogue during the battle and if you force him to heal before the intended scripts run it's course then the glitching starts.

So try playing in highest difficulty and carefully chip away his health or play in Novice difficulty and use weak weapons then after he absorbs the third dragon soul, break out the OP weapons and go nuts on him.

Rename MQKillDragonScript.pex in your script folder to MQKillDragonScript.pex.bak, it may fix the absorb problem. Also look out that every unoffical patch is loaded before UDBP.

If you have a mod that add/changes the mentioned pex file test it for dragonborn compability.

Guest corespore

I've had the same issues with the final battle involving him from the start. It appears that if the dragon soul absorb doesn't heal him completely he will stand in ethereal form waiting for it to happen. The only ways I've gotten past it was to either chip away at his health, which only works part of the time. Or i hide until i am no longer detected at which point i will either use my dwemer jar or a spell that allows me to leave the area for a few in game hours. Usually the jar works fine though, and after waiting for a few hours i will go back and he will be healed completely and ready to fight again. I would recommend killing all three of the dragons before trying to leave the area temporarily because as long as they are still there you will have to retry leaving and coming back over and over. Once the dragons are killed and he is on his last health bar then you can smash his face in for being the bugged and annoying NPC he is.  

strange this never happened to me Miraak was a clean Quest.

anyway try unpack dragondorn DLC and 7z and install the scripts in wryebash, and check if anything is messing with DB DLC scripts, also take a look in tes5edit whats going on with DB DLC, whats overwriting DB forms.

If he is stuck in his invulerable state open the console, click him and type "resethealth" without the quotes.  

Or "resurrect" it will reset him and the fight will continue where it left off.

This worked for me I am sure it will work for you.

Tried that already, but thank you for the suggestion :)

Rename MQKillDragonScript.pex in your script folder to MQKillDragonScript.pex.bak, it may fix the absorb problem. Also look out that every unoffical patch is loaded before UDBP.

If you have a mod that add/changes the mentioned pex file test it for dragonborn compability.

I think this is the key right here for my specific problem.  I had a mod that allowed me to trigger absorbing dragon souls (for those stubborn ones that would not trigger on their own) and had it disabled, but did not uninstall it.  I am going to test this one out and see if this at least gets me through it without (too much) console usage.

EDIT:  No file with that name and extension, but there are several of that name in various locations with the .psc extension.

it is right Miraak must only all three "dragon souls" absorb it!

only then will he be defeated, but not from you, he dies by the making of "Hermaeus mora". I took me very long to find out that.

I hope you could understand me, I'm German!

deutsch \ german !

es ist richtig ,Miraak muß erst alle drei "drachenseelen" in sich aufnehmen !

erst dann wird er besiegbar sein , aber nicht von dir , er stirbt durch die macht von "hermaeus mora" . ich habe sehr lange gebraucht um das heraus zu finden .

ich hoffe du konntest mich verstehen , ich bin deutscher !

edit: do not go into the melee, better is the remote fight (bow, magic).

nicht in den nahkampf gehen , besser ist der fernkampf ( bogen , magie ) .

alas yea, I am still just remembered something very important!

you need only have "black books" found them all!

german \ deutsch !

ach ja , mir ist gerade noch etwas sehr wichtiges eingefallen !

du mußt erst alle "schwarzen bücher" gefunden haben !

Found ALL of the black books?  Crap.... means i need to reload an earlier save if I have one before entering.  Unless reading the first black book will take me back out I might have to go back hours and hours of gameplay...

I got tired of waiting for the wizard to tell me he found another one.  He has found one since I had received the quest to go defeat Miraak and only the one so far.

Archived