ROFL Bethesda Tweets, "Vote for #Skyrim as the #VGA Trailer of the Year!"

ReMeDy

http://twitter.com/#!/Bethblog

Somebody mentioned this on the Bethesda forum.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1299457-latest-bethesda-twitter-vote-for-skyrim-as-the-vga-trailer-of-the-year-every-vote-counts/

They issued this tweet the day the 1.2 patch went live (Wednesday). Kind of ironic. What makes this Tweet so insulting for many people is Bethesda (as of this topic) has not said a single official word to anybody about this patch fiasco, despite it being a weekday, yet they have the nerve to ask us to vote for Skyrim?

This patch has been nothing short of a publicity QA disaster for Bethesda. Multiple gaming sites are reporting this patch's poor performance. People are poking fun at the fact dragons are flying backwards and joking "I took a patch to the knee." There's no way Skyrim is getting any votes with this mess. What a disaster. Bethesda needs to deliver a formal apology, and quickly.

http://gamerant.com/skyrim-12-patch-magick-resistance-bug-trung-118735/ (Game Rant)

http://www.examiner.com/game-industry-in-cleveland/bethesda-release-skyrim-patch-1-2-creates-more-serious-problems (Examiner.com)

http://kotaku.com/5863694/did-the-skyrim-patch-make-things-better-or-worse (Kotaku)

Ironically, Bethesda can't introduce a quick fix, because it must go through another approval process for console owners, which could take days. Of course, PC users will probably be punished for this delay, since Bethesda likes to time the release of the patch with its console counterpart. Real smooth, Bethesda.

They probably tweeted that before they were aware of the problems. Besides, the game is still good, bugs or not. It'd still get my vote for the 100+ hours I've already put into it (which crushes all other games in my steam library, each being over a year old).

Personally I see this from a developer's point of view. They couldn't anticipate that it would break so many things. Some people report no problems, which means they either didn't experience them in QA, or QA was lazy as shit.

The thing about coding something is this:

You may fix one thing, but you'll break everything else. Skyrim is undoubtedly built in an OOP language, and when you're using an OOP language, and have over a million lines of code... Fixing that one minor detail can throw everything else into wack. They could've fixed that "dead body at wedding bug" and inadvertently caused the "dragons flying backwards" bug.

That said, they should have been a bit more stringent in their QA, indeed. Bethesda is terribly notorious for being lazy in QA.

Well, I have no problem with Skyrim, even after the patch. I know people do, I even know quite a few of my friends that are.

I personally know the ceo of a small game company and have checked in on development of their earliest titles, linear games with simplistic systems.

In that time I've spoke with many of their coding people as their projects have evolved and achieved some indy success in the shadow of triple A releases. Coding has been described to me as finding bin laden with David Blain on a stick while arm-wrestling Arnold Schwarzenegger in his glory days.

It doesn't matter if you get it right in the end, you're going to be losing plenty of terrorists and matches on the way. Of course I'm not a game dev, but I do know they're people, and people can make mistakes.

Plus Skyrim isn't some indy title with a short playtime and trimmed gameplay. This is a 300+ hour plus monster running on a system that has the potential to generate infinite quests, control dragons, generate content as the player plays, and does all this while occurring in a massive open world. I'm betting money if a raw print out of all the coding scripts was handed to you, your eyes would bleed.

No other game can compare to the ambition of this title in our modern time. It literally is over Bethesda's head when compared to Oblivion, and released on a date that was as ambitious as it was memorable. The game has problems, yes. But problems can be fixed. Ambition may not make a good game, but Bethesda can, I've seen them do it with Oblivion.

Skyrim is one of the greatest games I've ever played. Despite the annoying glitches, the slow-down on ps3, and the horrible menu in PC I couldn't find a single thing that stops the game from being amazing to me. I've sunk in a 100+ hours into a game that embraces it's rpg-roots and does everything it can to step above it's venerated predecessor.

I know there was a ton of Skyrim hate on here before it was released, doomsayers and the like. And I know it still exists. But this game has my vote for GOTY, and that's all that matters to me.

I know there was a ton of Skyrim hate on here before it was released' date=' doomsayers and the like. And I know it still exists. But this game has my vote for GOTY, and that's all that matters to me.

[/quote']

Exactly. And, of course, the one point that pretty much sums up the entire argument is:

Vote For Skyrim as the #VGA Trailer Of The Year.

Not Vote For The Best Patch. You pretty much have to pound that point through some of these people's skulls with a sledgehammer. Yes, we all know by now that the patch causes problems. Doh! But after dealing with at least 113 different games in my lifetime, very few were perfect 'out of the box'. And THIS game still tops many of those released this year, alone.

And I'll vote GOTY as well, since I'll know Bethesda will do much to take care of the problems in the near future.

ChBaakal

The patch really hasn't messed with too much of my game. That said, yes I did have 1 dragon fly backwards so far, I also killed a different dragon and he just popped in to a ash pile with my kill hit and forgot to give a dragonsoul. In fact I have not gotten 1 dragonsoul since the patch came out. I'm not too worried about it though, I have been spending most of my time increasing texture resolution and implementing them in game than actually playing atm.

I would vote for the trailer, if I did that sort of stuff because even though I already had preordered skyrim a long time before I ever saw a trailer it was still cool enough to get me excited for the release.

I know there was a ton of Skyrim hate on here before it was released' date=' doomsayers and the like. And I know it still exists. But this game has my vote for GOTY, and that's all that matters to me.

[/quote']

Exactly. And, of course, the one point that pretty much sums up the entire argument is:

Vote For Skyrim as the #VGA Trailer Of The Year.

Not Vote For The Best Patch. You pretty much have to pound that point through some of these people's skulls with a sledgehammer. Yes, we all know by now that the patch causes problems. Doh! But after dealing with at least 113 different games in my lifetime, very few were perfect 'out of the box'. And THIS game still tops many of those released this year, alone.

And I'll vote GOTY as well, since I'll know Bethesda will do much to take care of the problems in the near future.

ChBaakal

Perfect out of the box: Duke Nukem 3D, Ocarina of Time, Rumble Roses *drool*

the game is good what stops it from being game of the year in my book is the damn annoying chrashes that plague the game without the 4gb patch

And not making a 64bit exe in this age is just a short sight aswell tbh hell even ut2004 had 64bit support (ok on the server side but still)

The need for a separate exe, while games like wow have 4gb patched into the exe lately (4.3 added laa flag i noticed when checking the exe to add it myself) the ninja patch (1.1 patch for stopping pirates that actually did nothing)

Beth screwed over it's loyal customers with that patch the modding community fixed a huge ton of chrashes with the 4gb flag and instead of them just adding it standard to the exe they added drm that broke the game even worse till someone figured out howto convert the fallout nv 4gb patch to skyrim.

When I created this topic I was pissed at Bethesda. Now that I've had two days to cool off and considering Bethesda has issued a statement regarding deadlines for the next patch, the construction kit, and the fact they wont wait on the console approval process next time, I feel a lot better.

http://www.bethblog.com/2011/12/01/skyrim-what-were-working-on/

My point still stands that I think it's insulting they waited so long to issue a statement. Some people went through a lot of misery with the auto-updates, including myself. I think some of you who weren't effected (or not effected enough) can't comprehend the severity of issues this patch caused the community. They did admit to mistakes, but have yet to issue an apology. Oh well, at least they proclaimed some deadlines.

Exactly. And' date=' of course, the one point that pretty much sums up the entire argument is:

Vote For Skyrim as the [u']#VGA Trailer Of The Year[/u].

Not Vote For The Best Patch.

Yea, but that's partially my point - their Twitter did not mention the 1.2 patch whatsoever. That one Twitter feed was the only official response the community received on 1.2 patch day. Meanwhile, forums everywhere were in mass hysteria and gaming news sites were making articles on the patch's flaws the very same day. Bethesda's forum had nearly zero response from Bethesda staff, with the exception of moderators closing topics.

I'm not questioning the integrity of Skyrim. I think Skyrim is awesome and definitely gets my vote on game of the year. I intended this topic to be in response to Bethesda's patch, not in response to the game or trailer. That's my mistake for not choosing my topic title more carefully.

Is the game GOTY worthy....sure! Hard to argue there.

Is the company doing their damn well best to undo the good game that they made....sure seems that way (stealth patch of DRM - WTF!?!? and the horrible kindergartner finger painted first patch that broke 1 to the 10th power more than it fixed)

Unfortunately a game is not just judged (nor should it be) on purely the game itself, it is a sum total of all of the parts: company communication, patches and of course the original release. It can be argued of course that there are many more parts than this but I am generalizing to make a point. Based on the sum total of the parts I have listed here is my opinion:

Company communication: Fail

Patches (support): Fail

original release: Win

Sorry, but for it to be game of the year you have to do better than 1 out of 3.

I'd vote instead for Saints 3.

Now bear in mind we all know that Skyrim once they get the CK out to modders will surpass all games currently out and likely any to come out next year (ME 3 might give it a run). Perhaps if Beth will stop the nonsense and just focus on the things that matter (a working CK and NO MORE STUPID DRM, along with a little freaking testing on the patches prior to releasing them....duh!!!) they can make a run at Next years GOTY. Just my 2 cents.

ROFLMFAO

"Steam Workshop – We’re excited to share news that we’ve been working closely with Valve to integrate Steam Workshop into the Creation Kit. Using the Workshop, you’ll have free user content with the push of a button. The Creation Kit will bundle your mod and upload it to the Workshop, where everyone can browse, rate, and flag mods for download. You’ll be able to do this from any web device, including your smartphone. Like a live Netflix queue, when you fire up Skyrim, mods you flagged will be automatically downloaded and installed. Everyone here is really excited about the opportunities and possibilities this opens up for our entire community."

I cannot stop laughing at this

i totally agree on your points grega what did beth do to fix the problems squat zero nada they actually created more problems by adding drm what did the crew of the witcher 2 do : they removed the stupid ass drm once they noticed it created more flaws am i for drm stopping day 0 releases yes

But once the game is out create a patch to remove that crap we shouldn't be forced into downloading a crack to actually play the game how it's supposed to be (i mean the legal buying customers)

Edit : totally agreed gsbmodders it's probably going to be so highly moderated that we get crap assets that are below the level of the dlc's or atleast that's my thought about it

ROFLMFAO

"Steam Workshop – We’re excited to share news that we’ve been working closely with Valve to integrate Steam Workshop into the Creation Kit."

I cannot stop laughing at this

No. No, no, no, no and bloody NO! I'm not laughing. At all.

Unless you have A: The option to skip usage of the Steam Workshop to upload files to a separate site,

B: The option to shut off Auto Updates, Modding News, and other BS that might interrupt any part of the creation process,

C: That you do NOT have to log into Steam or be online just to use the damn CK,

And D: That when (not if; when) they start charging money for "Premium Access" to DL mods like Nexus, Valve doesn't nickle and dime people with a set amount of Gigs per month at $13.99, just charge ONE small lifetime sum for the Premium side (as if the Workshop will actually be worth any amount of money to visit, that is),

Then I'll be able to laugh at this.

This is still the most suck-ass news I've heard in awhile. Now I'm going to have to take out my frustration on Solitude, Markarth, and a few other cities with Chain Lightning and assorted violent tools of destruction.

Again.

ChBaakal

My guess is they're doing it as a second layer of anti-piracy, to convince people to purchase a copy. You know what the irony is?... Pirates will just crack the Construction Kit and find a way to bypass STEAM entirely. The end result?... Everyone who legitimately purchased the game will have to suffer while all the pirates can bypass STEAM completely. Winners?... Pirates.

I'd vote instead for Saints 3.

Now that I think about it, I actually agree. Saints 3 is a masterpiece. It provides a huge level of clothing/customization, there's a plethora of voice actors (the protagonist talks!), its character creation engine is the best I've ever seen, and most importantly, the game is fun! It's one of those rare treats where the game doesn't take itself seriously, but is professionally done in what matters.

Archived