3 hours ago, Miauzi said:

One should perhaps also consider - that many "gamers" are now well over 60 years old and thus pensioners.

Did you consider the possibility that I might myself be in my 60s, and this may be my last chance to buy a computer that will play the next generation of games?

5 hours ago, Nikoz10 said:

I struggle to understand the enthusiasm for a new Bethesda product.

Shhhhhh. It's okay for people to enjoy things. You can just pass by, as it takes more effort to try and shame people with your word salad, than it does to let people....enjoy what they enjoy.

4 hours ago, Miauzi said:

The problem is also - that meanwhile more and more people not only CANNOT buy a new PC but often have to decide - whether they still have enough money for food this month and can only repair the broken washing machine next month anyway.

Which is a topic relevant at the nearest poli-sci forum, or reddit. But not really here, in a thread about folks simply comparing specs and trying to figure out if they can run the game or not.

4 hours ago, Miauzi said:

One should perhaps also consider - that many "gamers" are now well over 60 years old and thus pensioners.

I am nearly 52 years old. In my life...I have been:

• Homeless.
  • Kind.
  • Cruel.
  • Without food.
  • With food.
  • Poor/Lower Class.
  • Upper class.
  • Middle class. Which is where I am now, well...what's left of it anyway in the United States.

I've had...a life thus far. But none of it is even remotely relevant to this thread. I get it, there are people who are working poor, who barely can make it by. I know. I've been one of them; and just because I am not in that situation now, does not mean I am blind to those who still are. I'm not. I'll still buy sandwiches for homeless folks in Chicago when I'm downtown, among the other zillion things I've done, or felt compelled to stand up for in the course of my life.

But again, none of that is in any way remotely relevant to this thread, Starfield, etc.

--

I have to admit, I did not have 'there is no ethical consumption under capitalism concern trolling' on my bingo card for the Starfield section of Lovers Lab, yet here we are.

The TL;DR for you two is as follows:

image.jpeg.9e98813a6da86f40fcea3f6721499660.jpeg

4 hours ago, ThyraUnn said:

Modifying Sex, Rape, and Slavery into video games...

I know right? Why does it always have to be modders that add the good stuff? All these things should be there vanilla!

Edited by belegost
  • 2 weeks later...

Well on the topic of buying a PC or Build one, It all comes down to what the limit of each component you buy.

On the other hand I am playing Starfield on a 960 gtx. It is my only bottleneck. As for fps i dont know.

Everything else in my computer is not a problem.. my computer case is a Antec 900.. (Old it is)

On 7/30/2023 at 12:05 AM, buzzbombr said:

Anybody else contemplating a new PC to run this game at max, and what are you looking at?

I got a new rig - i7, lots of memory, including vram (though I had to cut back from what I thought I could do), and ssd storage, and a relatively new gpu.

This means I will be eating budget food for years. Fortunately, I know how to prepare food from scratch, even though I begrudge the time it takes to do so.

I'm amazed my PC even runs the game at all. Though there's lots of audio chops/cuts/static and freezing non stop but otherwise I can run it but not well on the lowest settings. Strange they don't have anti aliasing in the game nor resolution option for full screen or even texture settings its now only shadows and bloom/blur/film grain. What a weird decision.

i5-4460 3.2GHz quad-core

16GB DDR3 1600MHz

GTX 1660 6GB

On 7/30/2023 at 12:05 AM, buzzbombr said:

I'll admit it. I'm a BethFanBoy. In my opinion, nobody does what they do better, and when that CK comes it it only gets exponentially better and better and better. I chose to buy a new rig for Skyrim, so I could run it at max. Frickin' liquid cooled I7 6700k at 4ghz with 16gb of RAM and a Geforce GTX 970 with a Gig on board. What a beast! So many, many hours of joy that game and this rig gave me.

Now Starfield is coming out and my rig is a.... PO.TA.TO. Never mind trying to run Starfield at max. I don't even meet the minimum requirements. *sigh*

Anybody else contemplating a new PC to run this game at max, and what are you looking at?

I play on laptop with a controller. My nine year old rig with gtx850 would not play Starfield. I opted for a new laptop: 11th  i7-11800H, gtx 3050ti, 32gb ram.

The game is very difficult to run at 4k for me.

Asus ROG Strix x670e-e
Ryzen 9 7950x 16 core
32gb G.Skill Trident z5 @ 6000
2TB samsung 990 pro nvme
AMD RX 6900 XT
All custom corsair water cooling

It will run around 50fps- as low as 39 in some worlds.

Edited by reaper9789
  • 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth: I am playing Starfield on my potato and it's not bad! Not the game. The game is everything I expected. What I mean is, I saw this video on youtube

The bugger laughed his whole way though, but it was playing on a 970. He showed how to overclock the system a bit to make it work. So I figured, "What the hell" and decided to try it.

Everything is on low, graphically.  I downloaded this mod, which claims to optimize textures for pots

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/585?tab=description

I had to tweak a few graphic settings in game, to keep it from looking like the original Doom, but darn if I'm not playing it, and it really doesn't look that bad! I'm really frickin' impressed with this old workhorse of mine. The framerates are even acceptable. I'm up to the point where I'm walking around New Atlantis, and it's pretty smooth. The combat sequences to get here were smooth. I got to experience looking out and exploring an alien world, Bethesda-style. It's all good.

I'm playing Starfield! WhooHoo!

Well i am amazed !  running on a  Laptop  i7 7700 HQ -16GO - 1O6O Ti ( graphics on the lowest end of corse )  .

But enough about laptops it's time to look for a new Rig !

i think in 1 or 2 weeks i am spending on a :

i5 13 gene air cooling ( keeping it for about 2 years )

a be quiet box 

a z790 wifi mother board with 32 go 6000 Mhz ( can add later more )

SSd mvne black 1to ( for now )

and the lowest price graphic card like amd 8GB  ( a certainty that better cards would be much less expensive and more affordable next year about the same period ) .

what do you think ?

9 hours ago, coolfreaky said:

Well i am amazed !  running on a  Laptop  i7 7700 HQ -16GO - 1O6O Ti ( graphics on the lowest end of corse )  .

But enough about laptops it's time to look for a new Rig !

i think in 1 or 2 weeks i am spending on a :

i5 13 gene air cooling ( keeping it for about 2 years )

a be quiet box 

a z790 wifi mother board with 32 go 6000 Mhz ( can add later more )

SSd mvne black 1to ( for now )

and the lowest price graphic card like amd 8GB  ( a certainty that better cards would be much less expensive and more affordable next year about the same period ) .

what do you think ?

I built a new rig for starfield. I chose the I5-13600K (which turns out is the 3rd fastest CPU for this game) - aircooled with a Noctua NH-D15.
I chose the Z790 Pro board from MSI (has wifi - but I still use a cat-6 cable). Using low profile corsair 6000mhz ddr5 - 32gb. Has to be low profile to fit under the noctua NH-D15.

Any Gen 4 nvme drive will do. I bought 2 of them. 1 samsung 980pro (1 tb) for the boot drive and a Samsung Evo 970 2 tb for my games.

I kept my RTX3080.

I game at 4K on a 43 inch monitor, so GPU performance is important. However if you are using a 1080p monitor, your choices are much better. What is your budget? Are you thinking Radeon 7600 ??

On 9/23/2023 at 2:21 AM, nIn nIn nIn said:

What is your budget?

Thank you for having a look .

My budget is just 1500 euro .

i am looking at Gigabyte Z790 aorus elite Wifi , and a WD black sn850 7300 Mo/s a must .

i wonder if this rig would be enough balanced with and i hesitate about the graphic card but have no chois to take the cheapest amd 6600 8GB or 10GB ; i am using a 65" tcl 100hzt as a 1080 and can use it as a 4K . i know that's a pity ( it is like throwing money )but i can not wait for next year and ( my fingers are itching for starfield gaming ) .

Edited by coolfreaky

I bought myself an old Epyc 7551p + mb +4x32gb ecc on aliexpress for $300 about 6 months ago. In fo4 I did not notice a significant difference with my old xeon2680v3, but in applications (I took it for 3ds) and games with multithreading support, the difference is noticeable. 32 cores and 4-8 ddr channels for little money. As an option. But Aliexpress prices probably differ from country to country due to taxes. I don't know the prices in your country.

17 hours ago, coolfreaky said:

Thank you for having a look .

My budget is just 1500 euro .

i am looking at Gigabyte Z790 aorus elite Wifi , and a WD black sn850 7300 Mo/s a must .

i wonder if this rig would be enough balanced with and i hesitate about the graphic card but have no chois to take the cheapest amd 6600 8GB or 10GB ; i am using a 65" tcl 100hzt as a 1080 and can use it as a 4K . i know that's a pity ( it is like throwing money )but i can not wait for next year and ( my fingers are itching for starfield gaming ) .

I have some homework for you. Watch these videos before you choose your GPU and CPU. Don't risk wasting precious money.

The 6600 may be ok at 1080p with high settings using FSR2, but how that will look on a 65 inch screen is outside of my experience.

I would recommend you build the base system now, and keep saving for a better GPU which you can buy at xmas or early next year. Hopefully BSG will deliver some performance improvements in that time. I would also highly recommend you add a second nvme ssd (2tb) for your games. The motherboard you have chosen has 4 nvme slots.

But, I am not you, so all I can offer is "my" recommendations. 

This game is amazing fun in my opinion. 

Edited by nIn nIn nIn
On 8/1/2023 at 4:18 AM, Pinute said:

If if you don't have a nice machine and you live in the right place (low latency) shadow.tech and nvidia are worth looking at if you can part with $20-$60/mo. When my PC blew up a couple years ago there wasn't a video card to be had for under a grand, so I tried out NVIDIA's cloud gaming. No modding of course but for $20/mo I played cyberpunk on high/ultra with ray tracing. Starfield's supposed to be there. 

I missed playing Skyrim and Fallout so about a year ago I switched to shadow.tech (a very regional service). For $60/mo I have 1.25TB fast storage, an EPYC processor, and a 24GB A5000 nvidia gpu. 8K and 4K textures everywhere, and I max out somewhere around 14GB used. 

What's great about those services is that they'll run on most any mac, pc, linux box, or even a raspberry pi. 

Anyway, those are a couple options for playing starfield if you can spare a bit of cash and don't have a strong rig. 

Very interesting !  Is it really working well ?  any more experiences to share?

I'm running Starfield on a Nitro N50-600:

i5-8400

32Gb RAM

SSD (not NVME)

RTX3060

All settings low (granted), but with the DLSS mod on 32:9 aspect ratio.

It runs smoother as expected, some stuttering in New Atlantis as i'm CPU bottlenecked more then GPU bottlenecked...

Quality is comparable to a properly modded skyrim or FO4, and I'm fine with that.

Schermafbeelding 2023-09-28 113228.png

I would never buy a new PC just to play a specific game, my buy a new PC cycle tends to run on a 5/6 year cycle, and it just so happens I bought a new one a month or so before starfield was released.

As for build/buy I used to build but to be honest, it was a pain in the butt to do so, having to find the space and time to build it, sort out problems if/when they happened, get part way through it and find out I forgot something, then having to wait till that arrived before I could complete the build. 

The last two I bought from a custom build place, you basically go onto their website, pick intel/amd as the base, then pick your rough budget, then get a big list of options, so mb, memory etc, the start of with defaults at the bottom of your chosen budged, and next to each item is a drop down menu, where you can update, the total price with and without vat (in the uk here) automatically updates each time you change something, you can add multiple hdd or ssd, and you pretty much pick the parts you want, get to the bottom then choose, delivery and if you want quicker build options, there next page then tells you if there are any problems with your build, eg the graphics card needing 1000 watts when you only placed a 800 watt one in the build, then you finalise and order, so much easier than messing around with connectors, cables and then installing windows and drivers, and the place I picked the base build cost was trivial amounts compared to how much the actual pc cost me, and that was an eye opener, pretty much double what my previous one cost me.

5 minutes ago, Varithina said:

I would never buy a new PC just to play a specific game, my buy a new PC cycle tends to run on a 5/6 year cycle, and it just so happens I bought a new one a month or so before starfield was released.

As for build/buy I used to build but to be honest, it was a pain in the butt to do so, having to find the space and time to build it, sort out problems if/when they happened, get part way through it and find out I forgot something, then having to wait till that arrived before I could complete the build. 

You sound like me. What build place do you use? I've had my last couple from Novatech.

On 9/24/2023 at 1:19 AM, nIn nIn nIn said:

I have some homework for you

On 9/23/2023 at 4:09 PM, South8028 said:

probably differ from country to country

thank you for your input it was indeed interesting .

and comforting in my chois .

aliexpress is a little bit of a mess and you need to know exactly what you are looking for . as it was a very long time i did not mess with a built i had to start with a site that build and check it for me for all components as Varithina said above , if somebody is interested : MemoryPC for Europe located in Germany with good prices .

5 hours ago, coolfreaky said:

thank you for your input it was indeed interesting .

and comforting in my chois .

aliexpress is a little bit of a mess and you need to know exactly what you are looking for . as it was a very long time i did not mess with a built i had to start with a site that build and check it for me for all components as Varithina said above , if somebody is interested : MemoryPC for Europe located in Germany with good prices .

Aliexpress has a large selection of cheap server assemblies. We have very common builds for the poor on old xeons. Less often people choose epyc. But this limits the choice of video card. For example, my build works fine with a 1080ti, but if I install a modern video card, rtx4060, or rx7600... It will no longer make any sense. Technologies are developing quite quickly, and for server stones of 2017-2020, some rtx2070 is the limit of possibilities. You won't be able to play Starfield in 4k on the old server. Maximum full HD. On the other hand, the requirements for Starfield are clearly too high relative to the capabilities of the engine. ue5 pulls out scenes of 3-5 billion polygons on the old 1080ti. I doubt that ce can handle even 200 million polygons per scene on the most modern video card.

Edited by South8028