I'll admit it. I'm a BethFanBoy. In my opinion, nobody does what they do better, and when that CK comes it it only gets exponentially better and better and better. I chose to buy a new rig for Skyrim, so I could run it at max. Frickin' liquid cooled I7 6700k at 4ghz with 16gb of RAM and a Geforce GTX 970 with a Gig on board. What a beast! So many, many hours of joy that game and this rig gave me.

Now Starfield is coming out and my rig is a.... PO.TA.TO. Never mind trying to run Starfield at max. I don't even meet the minimum requirements. *sigh*

Anybody else contemplating a new PC to run this game at max, and what are you looking at?

I learned to build a PC for Starfield. I knew I'd want a great PC with adequate cooling. I knew my money would go further buying parts and putting them together myself.

My old GPU and CPU were both below minimum requirements for Starfield. I couldn't even run Windows 11.

Now I've got a 7800X3D and 4090 FE.

*And while I skipped liquid cooling, I have a lovely Fractal case with great airflow...unlike the old Dell.

The Dell now looks like a prison of sorts. Solid walls and just a few tiny windows with small openings between the thick bars.

Edited by SeranaUser

AMD users will benefit most from starfield it just is what it is. Both sony and microsoft use AMD hardware in their consoles and where the consoles go we pc users have to put up with it. 

Trying to get the latest gen pci express so 4k is easier to do and get the right monitor for you that can actually do 4k should be what matters. Memory is cheap and so SSD is cheap too. I don't trust nvidia after those problems with their cards shorting out nor many mobo manufacturers after their stuff was blowing chunks too so gotta be careful what you buy.

Liquid cooling is affordable and easy to use, there are products that you literally just bolt on and use no interactions with liquids required.

What we really need is some kind of game with multiple starts and character options and vehicles of many kinds. Kind of like no man's sky but with an actual story and interesting characters.

I already got a new PC earlier this year, didn't think about any budget cause i wanted to futureproof my system as much as possible so went all out with the specs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D

GPU: ROG Strix RTX 4090

RAM: Corsair 64GB DDR5

Motherboard: ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme

Storage: Samsung 2TB NVMe, 2 SATA WD SSDs 2TB each and 2 WD HDDs 2TB each from my old systems.

Cooling: Liquid cooled by Cooler Master

Monitor: Samsung 1080p. Why? Because it's funny.

Yeah that should be alright for Starfield i think.

On 7/30/2023 at 6:22 AM, Reigor said:

I'm on a bit of a budget this year so upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 5700 and got an SSD. My 1080 still meets the minimum specs so hopefully will be enough to run Starfield at lower settings. 

Oh wow, a 1080 is on the lower end for this game? Time to save up I guess.

Edited by ponzipyramid
2 hours ago, ponzipyramid said:

A 1080 would probably be ok, Probably a bit better than Minimum, The 1080Ti is about on par with the recommended Specs and I don't think Starfield supports Ray Tracing.

Screenshot 2023-07-31 111001.png

6 hours ago, ThyraUnn said:

A 1080 would probably be ok, Probably a bit better than Minimum, The 1080Ti is about on par with the recommended Specs and I don't think Starfield supports Ray Tracing.

Yeah, should be good enough with the CPU and SSD to run Starfield at 1080 and 30fps. That's good enough for now. 

8 hours ago, ponzipyramid said:

I'm going to tough it out, in 2 years I will have enough for a high end card and monitor. Mods will be out by then, including graphics. My goal is to make the game look glorious.

If if you don't have a nice machine and you live in the right place (low latency) shadow.tech and nvidia are worth looking at if you can part with $20-$60/mo. When my PC blew up a couple years ago there wasn't a video card to be had for under a grand, so I tried out NVIDIA's cloud gaming. No modding of course but for $20/mo I played cyberpunk on high/ultra with ray tracing. Starfield's supposed to be there. 

I missed playing Skyrim and Fallout so about a year ago I switched to shadow.tech (a very regional service). For $60/mo I have 1.25TB fast storage, an EPYC processor, and a 24GB A5000 nvidia gpu. 8K and 4K textures everywhere, and I max out somewhere around 14GB used. 

What's great about those services is that they'll run on most any mac, pc, linux box, or even a raspberry pi. 

Anyway, those are a couple options for playing starfield if you can spare a bit of cash and don't have a strong rig. 

22 hours ago, Mr. Otaku said:

I already got a new PC earlier this year, didn't think about any budget cause i wanted to futureproof my system as much as possible so went all out with the specs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D

GPU: ROG Strix RTX 4090

Motherboard: ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme

Storage: Samsung 2TB NVMe, 2 SATA WD SSDs 2TB each and 2 WD HDDs 2TB each from my old systems.

Cooling: Liquid cooled by Cooler Master

Monitor: Samsung 1080p. Why? Because it's funny.

Yeah that should be alright for Starfield i think.

No, just no.

~500 FPS in COD, unbeatable.

I did another EVGA build using,

EVGA z690 Dark Kingpin

i9 12900k

360 AIO

Gskill DDR5 32g 6400

RTX 4090 Liquid Suprim X

980 Samsung Pro

Managed to get the board and CPU at 1/2 off and some free stuff with the purchase.

Would have used my old PC but had a flood, so this PC was a replacement not a purchase for Starfield.

Although I intended to play games on it withen about a week was already fixing up some mods based on some reports at my files ><

Did not have a PC for about 6 or 7 months ahhhggghhh.

Edited by Gameplayer

I dont need to buy an entire new Pc But Ill still need a new graphics card and extra memory (Im 2 gb ran under the reccomended), Not exactly what I wanted to spend my money on but untill release I should have enouth. Even if I dont plan to buy on release, I like to buy bethesda game some 6 months later so I can watch some playthroughs to know the lore for RP reasons and get some cool mods, Ill be busy with baldurs gate 3 and sim settlements 2 chapter 3 anyways when starfield is released.

1 hour ago, Gameplayer said:

No, just no.

~500 FPS in COD, unbeatable.

I did another EVGA build using,

EVGA z690 Dark Kingpin

i9 12900k

360 AIO

Gskill DDR5 32g 6400

RTX 4090 Liquid Suprim X

980 Samsung Pro

Managed to get the board and CPU at 1/2 off and some free stuff with the purchase.

Would have used my old PC but had a flood, so this PC was a replacement not a purchase for Starfield.

Although I intended to play games on it withen about a week was already fixing up some mods based on some reports at my files ><

Did not have a PC for about 6 or 7 months ahhhggghhh.

I'm not sure why you're objecting to my build but alright lmao, your build is pretty good too.

• 2 weeks later...

do you reckon 8GB of VRAM will be enough with mods? I'm already buying a decent rig since my old 8700K one is almost entirely dead and I don't really want (nor can beyond €400, which would get me maybe a 6800) to throw money at these scammers. nvidia prices especially are bonkers here, €300 for a 8gb card and iirc crap throughput so no decent VR gaming.

may my 1070 ti with visible artifacts in some games last for another year

Edited by JakoDel
16 hours ago, JakoDel said:

do you reckon 8GB of VRAM will be enough with mods? I'm already buying a decent rig since my old 8700K one is almost entirely dead and I don't really want (nor can beyond €400, which would get me maybe a 6800) to throw money at these scammers. nvidia prices especially are bonkers here, €300 for a 8gb card and iirc crap throughput so no decent VR gaming.

may my 1070 ti with visible artifacts in some games last for another year

It should be fine, you just have to be mindful of what mods you are installing at times.

For example mods like sim settlements that essentially build a large hundred item plus city around you? That will slow you down a little bit. Though it all really depends on how well optimized the game is from the start and how it handles caching. You might also stay away from any of the so called 'miracle' mods that offer free frame rate or more memory as those usually disable some memory limit in the game files somewhere to achieve it.

VRAM isn't going to be a huge deciding factor for limiting your scope for modding though. At most it will impact your FPS in 'graphic' intensive base game areas, and mods. The game isn't doing anything fancy with lighting aside from some nice looking dynamic pre bakes so you should be more then fine with the old 1070 ti workhorse.

Just be prepared for some frame drops if you install a mod that adds high resolution dense foliage or anything like that.

Edited by isee

I had to upgrade an older rig to this:

CPU: Intel I7-13700F

GPU: GEForce RTX 3070

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX

Storage: 2 0.5 TB SSDs

Cooling: Air cooled by beQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 (I don't want to risk leakage/evap.)

This rig should be good to go.

Monitor: Samsung 1080p -- I will upgrade this soon.  My eyes aren't really good enough anymore to fully enjoy 4K's benefits close-up, so I figure a 2K monitor will do nicely.

I have a GTX 1080 and an i7-6850k. Barely scrape past minimum spec... but I won't be trying to run it on anything over 1080, so I think I'll be OK.

The same rig can run CP77 with all the settings at ma apart from ray tracing (which the CPU doesn't support anyway). I reckon I should be able to get by.

23 hours ago, isee said:

It should be fine, you just have to be mindful of what mods you are installing at times.

For example mods like sim settlements that essentially build a large hundred item plus city around you? That will slow you down a little bit. Though it all really depends on how well optimized the game is from the start and how it handles caching. You might also stay away from any of the so called 'miracle' mods that offer free frame rate or more memory as those usually disable some memory limit in the game files somewhere to achieve it.

VRAM isn't going to be a huge deciding factor for limiting your scope for modding though. At most it will impact your FPS in 'graphic' intensive base game areas, and mods. The game isn't doing anything fancy with lighting aside from some nice looking dynamic pre bakes so you should be more then fine with the old 1070 ti workhorse.

Just be prepared for some frame drops if you install a mod that adds high resolution dense foliage or anything like that.

thanks for the reply, glad to hear it

now I just have to pray that the 1070 ti behaves with starfield and doesn't go batshit crazy with the artifacts ?

I got this:

Windows 11 Pro, ASUS TUF GT501, ASUS TUF B550-PLUS, be quiet! POWERZONE 850W, Ryzen 9 5950x cooled with ASUS ROG RYUJIN 360, ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 OC (10 GB V-RAM), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM 14-14-14-34 (F4-3600C14D-32GTZNA), Samsung 990 Pro with Heatsink 2 TB NVMe, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB NVMe, Samsung 860 QVO 2 TB SATA SSD, Western Digital Gold 16 TB HDD, Seagate EXOS X20 20 TB HDD.

I hope i can play it with 60-90 ish FPS in 2160p using FSR Quality. But i will probably be dissapointed and the game is demanding as fuck. I will buy a RTX 5080 at the end of 2024 whenever it releases, i don't see the point replacing my 3080 with a 4080 for just a 50% increase in performance, it's just not worth it. I can live one more year with my current GPU.

Honestly i am kinda worried the game will be optimized like a turd.

I struggle to understand the enthusiasm for a new Bethesda product. Did you forget Fallout 76? I love Fallout 4 and I can play it at max performance with my PC. I understand that some of you love to have the latest PC power under their fingers but I fear that you do not look at the full picture. We may very well enter the worst economic downturn in modern history when the everything bubble deflates. Not tomorrow, maybe not this year but gradually we are sliding into it. Interest rates in the US are at their highest for 22 years and it looks as if they go much higher. It is not just the level that matters but also the speed. Whilst interest rates may not be as high as in the 1980s, the relative increase is far more dramatic. If you are a pensioner with little debt, I guess you are more or less all right. If you need a well paid job to stay afloat, you may find that within the next two years you will struggle. The Biden government runs the biggest budget deficit ever, at more than 1.5 trillion USD. The interest on that debt will soon exceed one trillion p.a. The debt will kill the US economy once the recession starts in earnest.

Add to all that the ever more escalating conflict with Russia and China (the US head of staff said that the US will attack China until 2025 at the latest) and you find yourself back at Fallout 4. And without the electricity that you need to power your PC.

Vor 51 Minuten sagte DocClox:

Geben Sie ihm ein paar Jahre Zeit. Sie können unsere Eindrücke vom Spiel lesen und eine viel fundiertere Entscheidung treffen.

The problem is also - that meanwhile more and more people not only CANNOT buy a new PC but often have to decide - whether they still have enough money for food this month and can only repair the broken washing machine next month anyway.

And no - we are not in an emerging country of the 2nd world ... but in the leading industrialised countries of the 1st world.

In my country there have been price increases of 25-50% for important foodstuffs within 1 year ... compared to 2% (per year) in the last 20 years

(but no adjustment to pensions, wages or even social benefits).

One should perhaps also consider - that many "gamers" are now well over 60 years old and thus pensioners.

Sure, you can post here what a "great guy" you are and buy a new computer for this "cucumber of a game" of all things....

...but that comes across to some people as the saying "Your poverty pisses me off".

*sarcasm*