What kind of effect do you think A.I. will have on the future of modding?

10 minutes ago, Xenji-Ikra said:

You can't have AI code for you, so I can't imagine it'll get much more complex than that.

Yes you can, ChatGPT already is able to provide working algorithms for a described problem. And they don't possibly NEED to get much more complex to remove hundreds of hours from a workflow.

Take what we already have: ChatGPT is capable of writing functioning algorithms. Elevenlabs can create quite realistic voices. Dall-E and who knows how they all are called are able to provide possible concept arts. Soon, when AI gets more into daily workflows, they probably will create armor models, with both meshes and textures. They could design a city or a certain region (generic placing of trees and other clutter already is a thing, it's a step further).

Yes, right now there still are problems. the function by ChatGPT might be buggy, the voices might have metallic artifacts or unnatural emphasizing.

On the other hand AI is just at its beginning. There are more than 60 years of development in a current processor. Imagine what AI will be capable to do in 60 years.

I think some sites like Nexus may ban AI Voiced mods due to complaints from professional VAs like Courtnay Taylor who directly tweeted at Nexus to take down a Mass Effect mod that used AI to make lines in her voice. If other industry VAs make the same complaints and demand takedowns then at least for voiced mods AI doesn't have much of a future. That's just my thoughts.

1 hour ago, WastelandWanderer1216 said:

I think some sites like Nexus may ban AI Voiced mods due to complaints from professional VAs like Courtnay Taylor who directly tweeted at Nexus to take down a Mass Effect mod that used AI to make lines in her voice. If other industry VAs make the same complaints and demand takedowns then at least for voiced mods AI doesn't have much of a future. That's just my thoughts.

That would only prevent you from making AI voices specifically intended to mimic a real VA.
Nothing stopping you from just using a generic voice which isn't attached to a big name.

1 hour ago, Mister X said:

Yes you can, ChatGPT already is able to provide working algorithms for a described problem. And they don't possibly NEED to get much more complex to remove hundreds of hours from a workflow.

Take what we already have: ChatGPT is capable of writing functioning algorithms. Elevenlabs can create quite realistic voices. Dall-E and who knows how they all are called are able to provide possible concept arts. Soon, when AI gets more into daily workflows, they probably will create armor models, with both meshes and textures. They could design a city or a certain region (generic placing of trees and other clutter already is a thing, it's a step further).

Yes, right now there still are problems. the function by ChatGPT might be buggy, the voices might have metallic artifacts or unnatural emphasizing.

On the other hand AI is just at its beginning. There are more than 60 years of development in a current processor. Imagine what AI will be capable to do in 60 years.

I still think People right now Overestimate the possibilities.
If we take the very simple example of a rando telling an A.I : "Make Futa mod plz", thats just not gonna happen.
AI is a great tool for those who know how to use it and who have a baseline knowledge on the topic they want to create. But it STILL requires some sort of capability on the users end.
Sure, AI has a long way to go, but I´d say it will be decades before it has any meaningful impact on modding apart from voices.

3 minutes ago, Pamatronic said:

I still think People right now Overestimate the possibilities.
If we take the very simple example of a rando telling an A.I : "Make Futa mod plz", thats just not gonna happen.
AI is a great tool for those who know how to use it and who have a baseline knowledge on the topic they want to create. But it STILL requires some sort of capability on the users end.
Sure, AI has a long way to go, but I´d say it will be decades before it has any meaningful impact on modding apart from voices.

Sure, that's what I meant: for now, you have to know what an AI can do and exactly how to tell it what to do.

Additionally, there won't be one big AI "create prostitution mod" kind of thing. I imagine it being several smaller, more refined AIs for different purposes, but with high quality outcome for less input.

Let's stay in the modding/Game creation region:

So one AI for voice creation. Instead of telling it "clone this voice, make it shout at this part, whisper that one" you give it a transcript and it will do the rest. (see Elevenlabs)

One AI for generic world generation. Instead of just randomly placing trees, it will be able to terraform a whole region by telling it "put some mountains in the north were a river floats into a boreal flatland and meets a capital city along its way". (see Unreal Engine 5.1 or 5.2, there I'm unsure)
One or two for text output, to let it create dialogues or write a quest story line (see ChatGPT). Another aspect, split to its own AI, could be programming support, to provide algorithms

One to create meshes and models

Maybe later on, you could have AI beta test stuff. Give it the wanted outcome of a specific quest and let it do its thing. That then could run several instances to do different things and compare the results.

So I never thought of one big AI that "create me that mod". But several smaller ones, all trained for a specific aspect like its done already, but more refined. So more valid and usable outcomes with less pre-training.

12 hours ago, WastelandWanderer1216 said:

Well, it would stop such mods from being made on the Nexus anyway. There are underground modding sites or forums with fewer restrictions, and on those sites I imagine such mods would be fair game.

You can't stop the tides of change, either swim to the surface and ride them out or be dragged along the bottom and smashed upon the beaches of inevitability. Those are my thoughts on that.

Edited by Z0mBieP00Nani
11 hours ago, Mister X said:

Sure, that's what I meant: for now, you have to know what an AI can do and exactly how to tell it what to do.

Additionally, there won't be one big AI "create prostitution mod" kind of thing. I imagine it being several smaller, more refined AIs for different purposes, but with high quality outcome for less input.

Let's stay in the modding/Game creation region:

So one AI for voice creation. Instead of telling it "clone this voice, make it shout at this part, whisper that one" you give it a transcript and it will do the rest. (see Elevenlabs)

One AI for generic world generation. Instead of just randomly placing trees, it will be able to terraform a whole region by telling it "put some mountains in the north were a river floats into a boreal flatland and meets a capital city along its way". (see Unreal Engine 5.1 or 5.2, there I'm unsure)
One or two for text output, to let it create dialogues or write a quest story line (see ChatGPT). Another aspect, split to its own AI, could be programming support, to provide algorithms

One to create meshes and models

Maybe later on, you could have AI beta test stuff. Give it the wanted outcome of a specific quest and let it do its thing. That then could run several instances to do different things and compare the results.

So I never thought of one big AI that "create me that mod". But several smaller ones, all trained for a specific aspect like its done already, but more refined. So more valid and usable outcomes with less pre-training.

I've always wondered why nobody has made a bug hunting tool for huge load orders, something that basically runs a simulation of the game in question (if that makes sense) with the mods installed and then searches for errors or inconsistencies that occur within the simulation and makes a report text of possible issues and their causes (it would make troubleshooting a lot easier, I think), or a tool that scans your mods folder and removes or "quarantines" files that are not connected to any mods, mods that may have been installed in the past but are no longer installed. I could see an A.I. being good at something like that.

I guess that would be "boring stuff" though..

I also wonder if an A.I. could be used to inject stuff into a running game, basically allowing for features that would normally not be possible within the confines of the game's engine, so kind of like a Script Extender 2.0.

For me, personally, even at its present "primitive" state ChatGPT is immensely useful helping me with lots of mundane mod-related stuff like writing simple python scripts to automate tasks (just this probably saved me 100+ hours in the last couple of months that I don't have to waste my time on stackoverflow trying to look things up myself), it's also pretty good on generating variations on an idea or text I might have in mind...

But yeah, telling it to "make me XY mods" is seems like something that is still far away, though I don't think it's as far away as some people think it is, and the AI technology in all fields are advancing in an incredibly rapid pace.

Remember the present state of AI's are always literally the worst that they're ever going to be, and yeah at the end they will probably kill us all, so I say "Thank You" to ChatGPT every time it helps me, that way it might spare me and I can live out my life in blissful agony roaming the wastelands... :tounge_xd:

1 hour ago, PECO. said:

For me, personally, even at its present "primitive" state ChatGPT is immensely useful helping me with lots of mundane mod-related stuff like writing simple python scripts to automate tasks (just this probably saved me 100+ hours in the last couple of months that I don't have to waste my time on stackoverflow trying to look things up myself), it's also pretty good on generating variations on an idea or text I might have in mind...

But yeah, telling it to "make me XY mods" is seems like something that is still far away, though I don't think it's as far away as some people think it is, and the AI technology in all fields are advancing in an incredibly rapid pace.

Remember the present state of AI's are always literally the worst that they're ever going to be, and yeah at the end they will probably kill us all, so I say "Thank You" to ChatGPT every time it helps me, that way it might spare me and I can live out my life in blissful agony roaming the wastelands... :tounge_xd:

I think if I was going to have an A.I. "make mod", one of the things would be an alien ray gun that I heard about in a supposedly true close encounter account. Apparently some Russian soldiers managed to shoot down a UFO and when a squad was sent out to investigate the crash they were fired upon by the beings that were piloting the craft. The guns sounded really cool/creepy though, according to the account any soldier that had been killed by it was instantly turned into a calcified statue, minus their weapons, and I thought it would be pretty cool to have something like that in Fallout 4, or some other game.

(I don't think the story is true, just interesting to think about)

5 hours ago, Vader666 said:

What's stopping you from doing it by yourself ?

I don't know how to code or anything like that, also I would have to have a decent amount of knowledge as far as how to make on death effects occur. I could learn those things, but I have attention and anxiety issues, which makes the learning portion of anything I don't already have an obsessive level of interest in an unnecessarily annoying and tedious process. This is an attribute of myself that has likely stunted my overall intelligence too, but whatever, it's easier to avoid than confront, and I'm getting off track besides.

12 minutes ago, Z0mBieP00Nani said:

I don't know how to code or anything like that, also I would have to have a decent amount of knowledge as far as how to make on death effects occur. I could learn those things, but I have attention and anxiety issues, which makes the learning portion of anything I don't already have an obsessive level of interest in an unnecessarily annoying and tedious process. This is an attribute of myself that has likely stunted my overall intelligence too, but whatever, it's easier to avoid than confront, and I'm getting off track besides.

AI could validate the collection of mini-mods (modules) to check for conflicts, and suggest other modules that might be more efficient.

Also it would know how to read unreadable error reports..

Your thread, Your track, plus you're interesting.

On 4/24/2023 at 1:19 AM, puss2puss said:

To be honest, i really deeply believe, for logical reasons, that AIs will eventually mod us, the humans. They will know what will be good for us, or, what will, kill, us...??

From what I understand, it is already being used to find matches for people online, so maybe.

On 4/23/2023 at 7:03 AM, Mister X said:

Algorithms are one thing. Debugging is another. I don't need AI to tell me who stands where and says what - that's the fun part. Working out why they don't stand where they're told or say their lines, that's where the pain lies.

When ChatGPT can do that, I'll be impressed.

On 4/24/2023 at 4:19 AM, puss2puss said:

To be honest, i really deeply believe, for logical reasons, that AIs will eventually mod us, the humans. They will know what will be good for us, or, what will, kill, us...??

As a firm disciple of free will, i believe it could be, If that's what you truely desire.

For better or worse, AI is, and will forever be, artifical.

Reprint (see above) of debugging in general, (which was ignored totally because I'm no advertiser)

add fresh-commercials in Games.

You wouldn't see "Nicola (taste the love)" over and over, you'd see a spammed ad for webcams or whatever other product is hot this week.

And how would it know to change the ads?
Complicated scripts that phone home to Arasaka/Samsung/Pepsi.

It remains to be seen whether mods will get better or just more aggressive.

The demographics would get studied carefully ("would you MILF this woman in (your-age-group, in your-city?")

O wait, they do that already
OK, more of the same, except Faster-stronger-better.

Robot progression pics

with a wish that you can mod them to clean toilets, do windows.

Be topical.
But eventually people would get jealous and abuse their charges, witness any sci-fi from 1960's.

If you want to accelerate Bots and games,

mod them to sell stuff (real-estate, religion, vitamins, politics)

Because if a bot said it, it must be true.

robot-android-innovation-technology-science-vector-22505901.jpg.41d7257ee6987509d8c6ac270338441e.jpg960x0.jpg.ea587123240ff1ff5310e47338c12b50.jpg

Sick fetishists (as opposed to normal ones) and cats and mean dogs would damage the robots, so people would arm them copiously (which counts as a mod)

Games with links to amazon to buy the cute outfits bots wear.

Tattoos for bots to conform with odd games (I'm thinking "zombies," "Vampires")

And in a really long time, the bots would tie directly into the VR of your game.

Private pleasures would get blasted all over news, divorce-rates would rise, and the rights of bots (to conceal-carry) would be discussed.

You're fucked.

Companies (lately) hate mods, they're afraid to get banned because of some obscure mod... (I could go on but let the next guy rant on)

Edited by 2dk2c.2
11 hours ago, RowinOfShoalsRestFarm said:

As a firm disciple of free will, i believe it could be, If that's what you truely desire.

For better or worse, AI is, and will forever be, artifical.

Here's something insane: Artificial doesnt ALWAYS stay artificial..

Immagine when Ai starts to create softwares that evolve with the environement they detect. For exemple, If the Ai needs to repair a software, by programing it to detect what it needs from its environement, then it will kinda evolve naturally by it's own. As long as all the depencies are integrated in it.

It could be useful in space, so that a robotic Ai can auto-repair on the go, and perhaps auto-create new program on the go to remove it's dependencies.

I can very imagine, an Artificial Intelligence, becoming Semi-Artificial Intelligence, until it's an actual Created intelligence that evolve by its own, naturally.

In the end, i'm not thinking that current Ai becomes Created intelligence, but what i mean, is Ai that could create Created Intelligence, almost like making babies..

An Ai that creates an intelligence form that doesnt depend on anything.:scream:

Did mathematicians become obsolete with the invention of computers?

People fear AI making them obsolete, but I think it will be an useful tool.

I bet there are many people out there with great ideas for making mods but they lack the technical expertise to make them.

IA would make their ideas viable.

And for people who already have those skills, AI would provide an useful base that you could refine with your knowledge.

7 hours ago, MrFuturehope said:

Wake me up when we get ChatGPT powered NPCs with AI speeches auto generated as we play in our favorite adult mods for our favorite games.

YiuTwu.gif

Dawg that's what i'm talking about! The best suggestion on this thread by far.

ainsley-harriott-hehe-boi-xi9a7x961pdixeut.gif.1e540489de477511b330fb7c96c76f14.gif

5 hours ago, Mr. Otaku said:

Dawg that's what i'm talking about! The best suggestion on this thread by far.

ainsley-harriott-hehe-boi-xi9a7x961pdixeut.gif.1e540489de477511b330fb7c96c76f14.gif

It's just a guess, but part of me wonders if A.I. was the technology Todd was referring to a while back when asked about TES 6 when he said "...it sounds like the technology hasn't even been invented yet..." during one interview, which at the time would certainly be accurate.

I think Starfield may have been in production too early for that, though.