[Old Topic] Regula Magistri 2

7 hours ago, byehi said:

hey @ban10 thanks for being willing to look at the mod for me its git is at https://github.com/Fiore-Free/Guard-Mod (im more than happy to share this as Im hoping that this can be a sub-mod / intergrated for you at somepoint) at current it adds two new MAA, the "vestal guard" a Famulii version of the house guard MAA (all be it not yet restricted on regiments as I cant figure out how to balance that (stats are balanced the same way as other famulli units) and a heavy cavalry unit the "Clibanarii" a heavy cavalary based famulii unit again balanced the same way other famulli units are (all be it not restricted by the arched sadle inovation as I havent figured that out just yet). 
Please do let me know what you think, any issues or changes you think could be made

You have misplaced #'s.

Specifically

ai_quality = { value = 300 # ai weight value }

The # causes the game to ignore the } and breaks the logic.

It should be.

ai_quality = { value = 300 } # ai weight value

10 hours ago, byehi said:

hey @ban10 thanks for being willing to look at the mod for me its git is at https://github.com/Fiore-Free/Guard-Mod (im more than happy to share this as Im hoping that this can be a sub-mod / intergrated for you at somepoint) at current it adds two new MAA, the "vestal guard" a Famulii version of the house guard MAA (all be it not yet restricted on regiments as I cant figure out how to balance that (stats are balanced the same way as other famulli units) and a heavy cavalry unit the "Clibanarii" a heavy cavalary based famulii unit again balanced the same way other famulli units are (all be it not restricted by the arched sadle inovation as I havent figured that out just yet). 
Please do let me know what you think, any issues or changes you think could be made

2 hours ago, cap88 said:

You have misplaced #'s.

Specifically

ai_quality = { value = 300 # ai weight value }

The # causes the game to ignore the } and breaks the logic.

It should be.

ai_quality = { value = 300 } # ai weight value

Yeah, I just ended up implementing three new regiments and updated all of the regiment art to AI generated art (https://gitgud.io/ban10/regula-magistri/-/merge_requests/18)

I've been tinkering with stable diffusion recently and Its been really fun, what do you guys think?

Heres the commit that adds the new AI art to the development folder https://gitgud.io/ban10/regula-magistri/-/commit/9f464963b1f9576103df201645e824767cef58dc, let me know which ones you like/ dont like!

I really like the Virgo, sacerdos and pedites art (though the Pedites solider on the left has six fingers! ahhh!). They fit really well to what I wanted to get

Edited by ban10
On 5/3/2023 at 2:53 PM, EtPerMun said:

This issue is still around. Interestingly, I went through the logs, but there is nothing there at all (as in, I made sure to wait a bit before closing the event, so anything happening then would be at a clearly different time, but there was nothing happening at that time), and CK3 doesn't seem to recognize that it crashes - it does not create an entry in the /crashes/ folder.

Yeah I still need to fix this, once the Tours DLC releases (soon!) I'm going to ticket all these issues for the next major release of this mod

On 5/5/2023 at 8:03 PM, Monedeath said:

@ban10 not a gamebreaking issue by any stretch, but I am seeing more than a few instances of Mutare Corpus outcomes where an advertised trait change doesn't get applied to the person in question. The "great" outcomes seem to have the issue more often. 

edit: Compedita Release Stress events also continue to announce changes to characters that also don't happen. "Now Lustful" doesn't always apply and sexuality changes also have a tendency to not happen. So probably a related issue as to how those changes are supposed to be applied by RM. (Is Carnalitas used?)

edit 2: Just had this happen thanks to a fascinare chain, as I have the holy site for the virus to spread around...

An Ex-Paelex regained Mulsa status thanks to the virus.

Screenshot 2023-05-05 184224.png

The Mutare Corpus outcome is strange, what happens is that the effect runs, then it seems to run AGAIN for the message box popup, leading to two different list of effects.
One is what actually happens and then another is what you are told what happens. Its weird and I honestly think its a vanilla bug with how popups run the "random" function after the random stuff is run. Need to rethink how to solve it.

Might also be the same reason why the release stress events have wrong popups as well.

As for the Ex-Paelex trait, I'm going to make a ticket to make it a bit more "robust", as in they shoudn't be able to get the Mulsa trait or inherit titles etc etc

Also I really need to do the holy site rework, but yeah guys I've been playing Stellaris recently and theres a expansion for that coming out tomorrow, ahhhhhhhhhh

Edited by ban10
10 hours ago, ban10 said:

Yeah I still need to fix this, once the Tours DLC releases (soon!)...  ...The Mutare Corpus outcome is strange...   ...Need to rethink how to solve it.

in one of the dev diaries a possible solution appeared, trait xp.

Don't know if it can be applied to the congenitals, but the idea is solid, instead of random, add a different amount of xp to different traits depending on the quality of the ritual.

22 hours ago, ban10 said:

I've been tinkering with stable diffusion recently and Its been really fun, what do you guys think?

Honestly, I loathe AI art with a passion -- it's basically ripping off all the artists whose art was stolen to train the AI.  I love this mod, and I'm grateful you picked it up to keep it going when the original creator left, but if you use AI art for it, I'm just not going to be able to play it any more on principle.

4 hours ago, Abraxis00 said:

Honestly, I loathe AI art with a passion -- it's basically ripping off all the artists whose art was stolen to train the AI.  I love this mod, and I'm grateful you picked it up to keep it going when the original creator left, but if you use AI art for it, I'm just not going to be able to play it any more on principle.

I'll have to point to the milkman who no longer comes to my door every morning because we made home refrigeration machines, welders who lost their jobs to robots, and weavers who lost their jobs to looms. Last ones threw wooden clogs in the works.

If a person had learned to draw from tracing their publicly available art would it be any more unethical? I wonder.

14 hours ago, Randah said:

I'll have to point to the milkman who no longer comes to my door every morning because we made home refrigeration machines, welders who lost their jobs to robots, and weavers who lost their jobs to looms. Last ones threw wooden clogs in the works.

If a person had learned to draw from tracing their publicly available art would it be any more unethical? I wonder.

This isn't really the place to argue this sort of thing, but I'll just say there's a big difference.  Even an artist who learns by tracing can't help but add her own skills and style along the way.  It's just the way human brains are wired.  AI art doesn't add anything new to the mix, it just takes the work already done by other people and shuffles it up.  It's the difference between inspiration and plagiarism, more or less.

I won't argue it any more, and if ban10 chooses to keep using AI art, it's his choice.  I just wanted to express my disappointment.

On 5/7/2023 at 8:27 PM, ban10 said:

Heres the commit that adds the new AI art to the development folder https://gitgud.io/ban10/regula-magistri/-/commit/9f464963b1f9576103df201645e824767cef58dc, let me know which ones you like/ dont like!

I really like the Virgo, sacerdos and pedites art (though the Pedites solider on the left has six fingers! ahhh!). They fit really well to what I wanted to get

Virgo doesn't look like a MAA fighter. Not a fan of Hastati. The others are great though.

On 5/9/2023 at 1:16 AM, Abraxis00 said:

Its unfortunate that you have this position. I agree that there are ethics concerns with stolen art and training data but I think overall AI art is a net positive that allows me to increase the scope of what I can do with this mod.
I plan to create new art for the orgy refactor (which will turn it into an activity) using AI art, and maybe for other features in future if AI art is suitable for the task.
It is what it is.

On 5/10/2023 at 4:14 AM, CashinCheckin said:

Virgo doesn't look like a MAA fighter. Not a fan of Hastati. The others are great though.

Virgo are meant to be a "Royal guard" kind of thing. I think they fit what I wanted the most out of all of them as they look exactly what I think the Magisters guards would look like.

Also, just an FYI for everyone, the new expansion dropped for CK3 so I'm going to work on this mod to get it upto date.
If you have any suggestions for new features, bugs or just suggestions for balance etc pop them into the issues thread here on gitgud
https://gitgud.io/ban10/regula-magistri/-/issues
Or just post them here so I can see them and ticket them myself.
The current progress of tickets can be tracked here https://gitgud.io/ban10/regula-magistri/-/milestones/3#tab-issues

36 minutes ago, ban10 said:

Its unfortunate that you have this position. I agree that there are ethics concerns with stolen art and training data but I think overall AI art is a net positive that allows me to increase the scope of what I can do with this mod.
I plan to create new art for the orgy refactor (which will turn it into an activity) using AI art, and maybe for other features in future if AI art is suitable for the task.
It is what it is.

Virgo are meant to be a "Royal guard" kind of thing. I think they fit what I wanted the most out of all of them as they look exactly what I think the Magisters guards would look like.

Also, just an FYI for everyone, the new expansion dropped for CK3 so I'm going to work on this mod to get it upto date.
If you have any suggestions for new features, bugs or just suggestions for balance etc pop them into the issues thread here on gitgud
https://gitgud.io/ban10/regula-magistri/-/issues
Or just post them here so I can see them and ticket them myself.
The current progress of tickets can be tracked here https://gitgud.io/ban10/regula-magistri/-/milestones/3#tab-issues

I would like to see some modification to the action that makes you Mulsa overthrow their husbands and rule their husband's territory. I tried had a Mulsa that was the wife of the Arabian Empire and the action wanted 16,000 piety in order to do it. Now, I could maybe see that as the case if I was just a count or maybe a duke, but I was also an emperor with territory the same if not bigger than the Arabian Empire. I think that either the piety calculation needs to be adjusted and/or it's needs to take into consideration the player's one territory size. Cause 16,000 isn't something the average character can get in one lifetime. You may also want to do something similar to the action to vassalize your Mulsa as well.

To: Ban 10, Poster of this Mod.

Please, when you update this for the new content (CK3 ver. 1.9x) would you please enter this new version of the Mod on the Downloads section of LL? I've been seeking a current version of this mod since last summer, but only on the Downloads section. Never before on the Forums section. My loss, of course, but I think going to the Downloads section of LL makes sense for someone seeking to download a Mod.

- sj

On 5/11/2023 at 8:18 PM, ieraceu said:

I would like to see some modification to the action that makes you Mulsa overthrow their husbands and rule their husband's territory. I tried had a Mulsa that was the wife of the Arabian Empire and the action wanted 16,000 piety in order to do it. Now, I could maybe see that as the case if I was just a count or maybe a duke, but I was also an emperor with territory the same if not bigger than the Arabian Empire. I think that either the piety calculation needs to be adjusted and/or it's needs to take into consideration the player's one territory size. Cause 16,000 isn't something the average character can get in one lifetime. You may also want to do something similar to the action to vassalize your Mulsa as well.

Huh, the piety cost is usually shown in the tooltip, its mainly based on the size of the realm that the Mulsa will take.
You also get a cost reduction based on your Magister rank.

40 minutes ago, Slickjack said:

To: Ban 10, Poster of this Mod.

Please, when you update this for the new content (CK3 ver. 1.9x) would you please enter this new version of the Mod on the Downloads section of LL? I've been seeking a current version of this mod since last summer, but only on the Downloads section. Never before on the Forums section. My loss, of course, but I think going to the Downloads section of LL makes sense for someone seeking to download a Mod.

- sj

Oh wow, I was wondering why my Steller legions patch mod in the Stellaris section had downloads enabled but this did not.
I'm going to ask an admin if they can turn this topic into a download thread first, so that we can keep the posts.
Otherwise yes, I'll make a download topic for the next major update

Edited by ban10

I just found this thread a while ago and I'm honestly kinda happy this mod was continued.

Normally when I play with this mod I also have some other religion mods, one of them being extra religion icons, but when I create a new religion I can't find any icons even the base Regula Magistri one there are only the base game ones which looks bad.

I don't know anything about modding is there anything that can be done?

Really glad to see this mod getting updates, I stopped playing the prior iteration because of the micromanagement, so it's nice that there seems to be more automation/notification.

Especially with regards to retiring older vassals, this is so much better than my own personal modded events that killed them off via suicide!

Hopefully there can be greater automation with child/ward upbringing too, I had to stop playing because of the playdates event in vanilla generating hundreds of notifications when the child/ward list gets too long.

Waiting for the next release which will hopefully be compatible with the 1.9 patch?

6 hours ago, camistrie said:

Really glad to see this mod getting updates, I stopped playing the prior iteration because of the micromanagement, so it's nice that there seems to be more automation/notification.

Especially with regards to retiring older vassals, this is so much better than my own personal modded events that killed them off via suicide!

Hopefully there can be greater automation with child/ward upbringing too, I had to stop playing because of the playdates event in vanilla generating hundreds of notifications when the child/ward list gets too long.

Waiting for the next release which will hopefully be compatible with the 1.9 patch?

In the decisions tab, there is an option to read the book. Then you can move all your kids to their mother's courts.

I went through the error logs and fixed some things for an eventual 1.9 release. Basically just fixed all the script errors the error.log showed me. Mainly the way background are done has changed. Activity related scopes have changed and trait syntax also changed a bit. I took a quick peek at the activity stuff and that might be quite big job to update actually.

Sadly it doesn't run. It tried running it with updated the carnalitas version posted in the thread there but something causes it to crash on startup (carnalitas alone works fine). I have no idea whats causing it, since the only errors left were some duplicate localization keys which shouldn't be an issue. Might have something to do with genes not sure tough.

Regula_Magistri.zip

Edited by tarin

Good stuff @tarin, I'll have a look
I'm waiting for Carn to be updated for 1.9 before diving back in as its a hard dependency.

I might have a go at fixing some things here and there though, I also might be able to refactor the orgy activity Independently of Carn but I'll have to see when I start

your work is great.

After those day enjoying 1.9,I realize  there is a potential problem:

the new 1.9 allow player increase their regiment size so easy that everyone  can have 16 even 21 max size MMA. There are much more army than before.

And compared with vanilla,magistri regiments are lower quality, higher quantity. It was a reasonable design before. 

But now these regiments will overstep the supply limit every often.And it probably become our sexy ladies' deadly shortcoming.

Because they will in attrition all the time!

Maybe we need a new design for these special regiment to show their feature,and not to increase their quantity?

And thanks again for your work.

15 hours ago, false0528 said:

your work is great.

After those day enjoying 1.9,I realize  there is a potential problem:

the new 1.9 allow player increase their regiment size so easy that everyone  can have 16 even 21 max size MMA. There are much more army than before.

And compared with vanilla,magistri regiments are lower quality, higher quantity. It was a reasonable design before. 

But now these regiments will overstep the supply limit every often.And it probably become our sexy ladies' deadly shortcoming.

Because they will in attrition all the time!

Maybe we need a new design for these special regiment to show their feature,and not to increase their quantity?

And thanks again for your work.

I agree with the quality point, it seems a little out of place with the spirit of the mod. I would think that the ruler would want his servants to be representatives of his power. I propose that the regiments be stronger but smaller. 

Just an opinion from a fan of the mod.

17 hours ago, ZenKoshin said:

I agree with the quality point, it seems a little out of place with the spirit of the mod. I would think that the ruler would want his servants to be representatives of his power. I propose that the regiments be stronger but smaller. 

Just an opinion from a fan of the mod.

The Keeper of the Souls makes your realm fertile and replaces 2/3rds of the men born, that's why you get more women in the regiments, cause your larger pool of manpower now extends over more than just half of the population.

I found the regiments were in the spirit of the game, giving your super soldiers would be too blatant of a buff, these are just normal women so fanatically loyal that they dive into danger and grapple with the stronger sex without fear, managing to overwhelm them.

If you go the other way and want the best of the best, supposedly Regula Magistri sharpens their mind in combat it still can't work in normal shield wall combat, you can't overcome the physical limitations of the sex. You could buff the archers perhaps, women have the reputation for being better sharpshooters even today. Perhaps horse archers and light horsemen is a suitable role they could fill too.

Edited by ukrug1
11 hours ago, ukrug1 said:

The Keeper of the Souls makes your realm fertile and replaces 2/3rds of the men born, that's why you get more women in the regiments, cause your larger pool of manpower now extends over more than just half of the population.

I found the regiments were in the spirit of the game, giving your super soldiers would be too blatant of a buff, these are just normal women so fanatically loyal that they dive into danger and grapple with the stronger sex without fear, managing to overwhelm them.

If you go the other way and want the best of the best, supposedly Regula Magistri sharpens their mind in combat it still can't work in normal shield wall combat, you can't overcome the physical limitations of the sex. You could buff the archers perhaps, women have the reputation for being better sharpshooters even today. Perhaps horse archers and light horsemen is a suitable role they could fill too.

eh, doesn't really jive with the supernatural feeling of the mod, sure untrained women are a bit weaker than men, but retinues are professional soldiers (MaA in Ck3 but the point stays the same), one thinks they train, thus the -2 STR argument loses most of its wind there, the other part is that they are FANATICAL, in my opinion, magistri troops should get less defense but marginally higher attack (if at all changed)  and all of them get some amount of pursuit, it does go with the tradition (higher casualties on both sides and faster movement), unlike now in which it seems to run counter to it.

Also, make the House guard equivalent Stronger than all other HA (Meant Heavy infantry, including the stupid bonkers retinue) and put a high piety cost on it, as the magister you should be able to do something similar to the domitans tribunal for your honor guard.

Edited by Mythaltir
5 hours ago, Mythaltir said:

eh, doesn't really jive with the supernatural feeling of the mod, sure untrained women are a bit weaker than men, but retinues are professional soldiers, one thinks they train, thus the -2 STR argument loses most of its wind there, the other part is that they are FANATICAL, in my opinion, magistri troops should get less defense but marginally higher attack (if at all changed)  and all of them get some amount of pursuit, it does go with the tradition (higher casualties on both sides and faster movement), unlike now in which it seems to run counter to it.

Also, make the House guard equivalent Stronger than all other HA and put a high piety cost on it, as the magister you should be able to do something similar to the domitans tribunal for your honor guard.

I agree with you sir! 

Also, on a quirky crazy side note... How about Futa Pikemen? Women with poles with poles. Lol. Just for that deviant Magister?

I do prefer smaller retinues of stronger individuals instead of lesser hordes.

In lore the special men-at-arms would be more powerful not because the women are supernaturally stronger, but because you're choosing only the best soldiers and, because you have fewer of them, training and equipping them better.