Any retro fans out there?

I'm looking for some retro games to do some reviews and a "fresh eyes" perspective on.

So far I have 4 games I plan on covering.

Silent Hill (PS1)

Banjo Kazooie (N64)

Medievil (PS1)

Tekken Series (PS1)

Does anyone have a favourite retro game that they'd like to see someone play for possibly the first time and form an opinion on it?  If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Also, please, preferably, be games from before the PS2,Xbox,Gamecube generation.  Thank yee.

No, I'm sick of retro. Sick of every asshole buying up every game to later resell for hundreds because it's old, every asshole asking for stupid prices just because it's old even if it's a common game, every fucking jackass indie who cannot be assed to do something different and instead just milks nostalgia with old style graphics and music because retro supposedly sells, thus making them just as bad as any big game maker doing what's safe because it'll sell.

Old games, yeah, I fucking love them, but I hate retro. With a goddamned passion.

I got booed for saying something similar about Megaman 9.

My initial reaction was along the lines of 'It's cool that they want to go back to their roots and all, but using those really low-res NES style sprites seems less like an artistic decision and more like a nostalgic cash-in.' You know, keeping in mind this was kinda early on in the whole 'nostalgia cash-in era' we are currently in when it was still considered "fresh" to do such things.

I don't have a problem with low-res sprites in the modern era in the terms of "oh, it looks ugly, blah blah", I have a problem with it in the sense that you don't have to limit your screen resolution to take advantage of old-school design philosophy. The things that made Megaman iconic wasn't the fact that it was on the NES, there's a lot more to it than that.

If it meant that we wouldn't get a 9 and 10, then I can accept the retro design... because I care more about getting new games in a beloved series after so long than holding up some ideal about nostalgia milking. If the only way I was getting an X9 is with SNES style graphics, I'll take it because I fucking love the X series. I don't care what medium they make it in, so long as I get more of it.

But to just make "new" games in that style because there's a whole segment out there that will get their dicks hard because zOMG IT LOOKS >insert whatever bit count/system< MUST BUY NAO, fuck that. Fuck those people taking the easy way out and fuck those that will eat it up even if it's same shit, just with a retro look.

If it meant that we wouldn't get a 9 and 10, then I can accept the retro design... because I care more about getting new games in a beloved series after so long than holding up some ideal about nostalgia milking. If the only way I was getting an X9 is with SNES style graphics, I'll take it because I fucking love the X series. I don't care what medium they make it in, so long as I get more of it.

But to just make "new" games in that style because there's a whole segment out there that will get their dicks hard because zOMG IT LOOKS >insert whatever bit count/system< MUST BUY NAO, fuck that. Fuck those people taking the easy way out and fuck those that will eat it up even if it's same shit, just with a retro look.

Well sorry if we are offending your anti-retro childish control freak sensibilities, but some of us didn't get to own an Atari when we were teens, only being able to play at friends places, so to be able to play the older games now is our choice, who are you to tell others "Fuck You!" just because they like something you don't?

I don't like Black Jelly beans, but I'm not going to go around saying "Fuck You!" to people who do and companies that package them.

The thread titles asking for fans not haters so stop screwing up other peoples enjoyment and piss off elsewhere...................

You missed the point. it's not about playing actual old games. There's no need for somebody to waste time and potential on making a game look and sound like an Atari game to get the "feel" of it (and even coding bugs into the game because "Atari games were buggy") simply to milk the nostalgia of others for easy money.

You want actual old games? Go get an emulator or buy them for all I care. Enjoy to your hearts content.

Also, I question just how far back something has to be to be considered... ugh... retro in the sense of actual old games. I mean, Homeworld is my favorite game of all time, and it's from 1999; 14 years ago. Is that old enough? Or does it not count because it's for PC, and PC is not a defunct system? is there a specific age? Console generation?

Or is it simply anything SNES/Genesis and before?

I'm looking for some retro games to do some reviews and a "fresh eyes" perspective on.

Silent Hill (PS1)

Banjo Kazooie (N64)

Medievil (PS1)

Tekken Series (PS1)

Does anyone have a favourite retro game that they'd like to see someone play for possibly the first time and form an opinion on it?  If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Also, please, preferably, be games from before the PS2,Xbox,Gamecube generation.  Thank yee.

If you could get a classic like Legend of The Dragoon or Skies of Arcadia, I be more than happy to watch you play.

You missed the point. it's not about playing actual old games. There's no need for somebody to waste time and potential on making a game look and sound like an Atari game to get the "feel" of it (and even coding bugs into the game because "Atari games were buggy") simply to milk the nostalgia of others for easy money.

You want actual old games? Go get an emulator or buy them for all I care. Enjoy to your hearts content.

Also, I question just how far back something has to be to be considered... ugh... retro in the sense of actual old games. I mean, Homeworld is my favorite game of all time, and it's from 1999; 14 years ago. Is that old enough? Or does it not count because it's for PC, and PC is not a defunct system? is there a specific age? Console generation?

Or is it simply anything SNES/Genesis and before?

Still no reason to say "Fuck You!" to those who enjoy their nostalgia and want that type of game, what's an emulator if it's not rehashing of retro games?

If you don't like it don't buy it, but no need to oppose other peoples enjoyment :P

Maybe your point would be more understandable without gutter trash kid talk.

Some games, especially like Legend of Dragoon, are hard to get in NZ.  Not mainly cos of price just cos of availability.  I do have a copy of Vagrant story though a friend gave me.  I might do that in the future as its made by Square.

At the moment though im hardout loving Medievil, very very fun game!

I have a copy of Vagrant Story collecting dust that I really need to get to, along with Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve 2, Final Fantasy 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, (PS1 releases) 8 and 9, Dragon Quest 7, Blaster Master: Blasting Again, Breath of Fire IV, Mega Man Legends...

I also never did take out the two pieces of plastic on my SNES so I could play my imported copies of Rockman X3 and Breath of Fire 2, now that I think of it. That bit needed to open her up should still be around here... somewhere...

• 1 month later...

Silent Hill (PS1)

Banjo Kazooie (N64)

Medievil (PS1)

Tekken Series (PS1)

>retro.

Smells underage man.. just so underage.

I understand retro is "old" titles but play some real retro. Metroid, Super Mario Bros, Contra, Faxanadu. Look u[ /v/s list of recommended what old console games man, learn and play those. You wont regret it.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri...

It's awesome, almost looks like galactic civilization, but AC is more complex.

@OP

how old the games that you considered retro??

PS : Tomba 2 (it's fun), Valkryie Profile, Wild Arms, lunar :sliver star story.

Old PC : spy vs spy (it's funny), Total Annihilation (RTS)

that's what I can think of now...

P.S. For me both of Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross is good...