What is the best way to install body types/skin textures in the modern post Vortex era?

On 3/14/2023 at 11:12 AM, davisev5225 said:

It really doesn't and it really isn't.  The number of people who can't even get something as simple as a texture mod to work is proof enough.

Also, MO2 supports many more games than just Bethesda titles.  A quick look at one of the recent patch notes can tell you that:

https://github.com/ModOrganizer2/modorganizer/releases/tag/v2.4.3

What does people's ignorance have to do with the program's performance? That's nonsense. Vortex is fine. Its different and because of it people make user errors, then blame the mods/mod organizer. I have had zero problems with vortex. Modded Skyrim, fallout 4, fallout TTW and I did it again on my steam deck with vortex. Worked great except for Linux not working with F4SE but that has nothing to do with Vortex! Vortex is a powerful mod organizer for beginners and a beast for pro users. You guys got to stop the hate train, y'all are starting to sound like boomers with the same nonsense over and over. ?

2 hours ago, GB.Cardo said:

What does people's ignorance have to do with the program's performance? That's nonsense. Vortex is fine. Its different and because of it people make user errors, then blame the mods/mod organizer. I have had zero problems with vortex. Modded Skyrim, fallout 4, fallout TTW and I did it again on my steam deck with vortex. Worked great except for Linux not working with F4SE but that has nothing to do with Vortex! Vortex is a powerful mod organizer for beginners and a beast for pro users. You guys got to stop the hate train, y'all are starting to sound like boomers with the same nonsense over and over. ?

"It works for me, so it must work well for everyone!" is not a valid argument, and demonstrates that you failed to read through this thread before jumping on the "insult anyone who dislikes Vortex" bandwagon.  ?

It may be "a beast" for "pro" users (though I would disagree), but you have to wade through a lot of unnecessary bullshit to get there.  Said bullshit is what makes it NOT powerful or useful for beginners, and is the main complaint I keep raising (and keeps getting ignored by anyone who's already gone through the brain damage to figure out how to make it do more than the most basic of tasks...)

Edited by davisev5225
On 3/15/2023 at 7:24 PM, davisev5225 said:

"It works for me, so it must work well for everyone!" is not a valid argument, and demonstrates that you failed to read through this thread before jumping on the "insult anyone who dislikes Vortex" bandwagon.  ?

That isn't what I said smart ass.

but you have to wade through a lot of unnecessary bullshit to get there. 

Again, making shit up.

It may be "a beast" for "pro" users

We got an elitist over here.  ?

1 hour ago, GB.Cardo said:

That isn't what I said smart ass.

Yes it is.  That was basically your entire argument.  "I got it to work on so many platforms, so it must be the best mod manager out there with absolutely no issues whatsoever."

Here, I'll quote you for yourself since remembering what you wrote a day ago, on the same page that you responded to, is apparently too difficult:

On 3/15/2023 at 1:57 PM, GB.Cardo said:

I have had zero problems with vortex. Modded Skyrim, fallout 4, fallout TTW and I did it again on my steam deck with vortex. Worked great except for Linux not working with F4SE but that has nothing to do with Vortex!

------

Again, making shit up.

Yeah, OK then.  ?  You haven't bothered to provide any evidence to back up your claim.  This thread was started by a person who couldn't get Vortex to play nicely with a simple texture mod.  I'm not the only person who's come in here with first-hand experience saying Vortex is NOT user-friendly when trying to fix things like this.  At this point you're just holding your fingers in your ears going "LA LA LA LA LA" and hoping we don't notice.

------

We got an elitist over here.  ?

I merely quoted you:

On 3/15/2023 at 1:57 PM, GB.Cardo said:

Vortex is a powerful mod organizer for beginners and a beast for pro users.

(emphasis added)

Edited by davisev5225
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 11:36 AM, assassin394 said:

Wall of text. Its true that the mod order screen is overly complex but you can just ignore that screen. When you install a mod that have files that overwrite other mod you can just click on the red lighting icon and manual select which mod load after what. Also MO is the one that required a lots of beginning tweak. Vortex just work out of the box.

Some examples:

-I don't know if this change but back then everytime I install a mod with MO I have to manual select root data folder or something while vortex can auto detect if the is sub folder/files inside data or not and install the files correctly

- Vortex can auto-detect installed bodyslide, FNIS, Nemesis and added tool shortcuts for these programs into the client. If you want to use both FNIS and Nemesis its super easy. Just run FNIS first then Nemesis after. Done. With MOD, you have to config the output folder for both and do several more step.

I'm using Vortex for all Bethedas games. From Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas to SSE and FO4. Have like hundreds of mods installed and never have any problem. Stop with your anti Vortex nonsense

1.jpg.4b5f56e3bc754cb88e79b4ea44470e5e.jpg

Do not bother listening or responding to that other guy. A lack of knowledge on his part is suddenly "objectively" true. People like that are not only not helpful, but are a waste of space in the thread. If you don't know the answer, please just move on. Why bother answering when you clearly are ignorant?

@dborg2, I appreciate your correct and nuanced response: it really comes down to whatever you are more comfortable with. The end. If you prefer MO2, great. But if you are more familiar with Vortex, that's fine too.

This attitude of people when you ask for help and their answer is "delete Vortex and install MO2" is asinine and shows a complete lack of intelligence. Vortex works, and you don't need to bend over backwards to get it to work.

It works. Period.

As with any tool, you need to learn how to use it properly. The people who claim MO2 is the Second Coming also were once lost and had to learn how to use MO, and I'm sure either they stuck with it or had someone help them through it. But now they are all sanctimonious as if they always knew how to use it.

I used MO1 for years with Skyrim. It worked great. Now I've been using Vortex. It works great.

7 hours ago, kinghelseth said:

Do not bother listening or responding to that other guy. A lack of knowledge on his part is suddenly "objectively" true. People like that are not only not helpful, but are a waste of space in the thread. If you don't know the answer, please just move on. Why bother answering when you clearly are ignorant?

@dborg2, I appreciate your correct and nuanced response: it really comes down to whatever you are more comfortable with. The end. If you prefer MO2, great. But if you are more familiar with Vortex, that's fine too.

This attitude of people when you ask for help and their answer is "delete Vortex and install MO2" is asinine and shows a complete lack of intelligence. Vortex works, and you don't need to bend over backwards to get it to work.

It works. Period.

As with any tool, you need to learn how to use it properly. The people who claim MO2 is the Second Coming also were once lost and had to learn how to use MO, and I'm sure either they stuck with it or had someone help them through it. But now they are all sanctimonious as if they always knew how to use it.

I used MO1 for years with Skyrim. It worked great. Now I've been using Vortex. It works great.

Agree. Though there is a limit.

I have tried many times, but people that still use FOMM/NMM/placing files directly in the data folder are hard to help, because you got to keep track of installation and uninstallation order. It is so easy to mess up, that I usually advise people to use Mod Organizer 2 (because I'm more familiar with how to convert from FOMM to MO2)

This isn't to say that Vortex is bad, I just have less experience converting from FOMM to Vortex. And If I advise people to convert, I sometimes get follow-up questions on how to do it.

ps. There is also Wrye Bash/Smash, but that was in Oblivion era and I never liked the way, that mod manager behaved. It was required because some mods required their unpacking-format. And until 'MergePlugins' was made, it was the only way to merge simple mods together.

I actually just nuked my FO4 mods setup a while ago because my SSD is full and I need more space for new games. But a few days ago I saw some interesting mods on nexus and decide to redownload FO4 again.

This time I decided to give MO2 a try again and I have to say MO2 has improve a lot over MO1. I think its even more beginner friendly than Vortex. When you first start MO2 there is even a tutorial taught you how to install your first mod. You no longer need to watch 30 minute tutorial video from some random ass youtuber just to figure out how to install mod anymore.

I love that everything is fast and intuitive. In Vortex everytime you install/uninstall a new mod you have to "deploy mods" which usually take 10-20 second and even more if you have a lots of mods installed. In MO2 everything is instantly, you can enable, disable, install, uninstall. All instantly.  You can also named, rename, merge installed mod for easier management which I you do in Vortex. 

Well, I have to admit I'm a converted now. But I still hold true to my early statement. Vortex works perfectly fine and is totally usable. It different than MO2 sure but that does not mean its bad. Imagine MO2 is like Android and Vortex is like iOS. Both can do that same thing but is design different. There is no need to fight over this.

Edited by assassin394