How to separate a regular Skyrim and LoversLab Skyrim to two computers, preferably with one character?

Hello Everyone,

New to LoversLab.

I am looking for recommendations on how to maintain a "regular" and "LoversLab" installation of Skyrim. That is, I want to be able to play Skyrim normally, without worrying about nude animations and sounds appearing unexpectedly. Yet also to be able to go down the full "LoversLab" route of multiple mods. Sometimes I forget, go to "Sleep" and <Bam>, a Skyrim Follower initiates a scene I wasn't expecting. No issues so far, but I'd rather they not play to the wrong audience.

I have currently:
* One Skyrim Special Edition (Anniversary edition) Steam account with hundreds of  hours against one character.
* Several dozen mods, mostly standard ones that I would keep using. Also Flower Girls and Amorous Adventures. Just one LoversLab mod at present, which was a pre-req to a costume mod.
* Two computers available.
* Use Vortex as my Mod Manager, and I am happy with it. I have dabbled in some of the other utility tools, but not in a big way - just enough to make sure things all run.

Ideally, I would like to make one computer the "regular" one, and one just for SexLab use.

If possible - and I don't know if it is practical - to keep using the SAME MAIN character. On the regular computer, I have my default mods, and play regular Skyrim content. However, on the other computer, I would like to take the same character and play the SexLab content.

Is this just asking for trouble? I can imagine breaking the Steam link, and copying my Skyrim install over to the second computer. Then I can imagine installing a different mod. set to each computer. But I don't know the best way of getting the main character Save file across, or even if that is wise. I'd rather not start a session, and receive a scrolling list of "<Mod ABC not found>".

Does creating a new character on the second computer with LoversLab get around any issues?

Or is the only real way to achieve good separation to purchase Skyrim again, create a new Vortex account, and start fresh? Obviously that costs more, and I can't maintain "the one character" across the two computers, but it seems cleanest.

Open to any suggestions. I'm hoping that this has come up before.

TLDR: How to have a clean Skyrim and a sexy Skyrim on two separate computers? Preferably with the one Skyrim character, or one Steam account. Or closest approximation.

Apologies if this is in a FAQ somewhere, or in the wrong group.

Thank you!

playing skyirm on two different computers is possible, steam lets you log in on it after asking permission as it should (otherwise we would get hacked in regular basis.)

But playing the same Save with a different mod setup is not. While playing the same "clean" save is possible, the moment you have Sexlab and other scripted and complicated mods on your Save and load it on a computer who does not have access to them would be just like uninstalling them mid game and make it unplayable.

1 hour ago, Sugar Glider said:

I would like to make one computer the "regular" one, and one just for SexLab use.

Using a mod manager you can make multiple profiles. you can leave one vanilla and install mods on the other. You don't need two separate machines for that

If possible - and I don't know if it is practical - to keep using the SAME MAIN character

Not possible.

Edited by belegost

Not much I can add to this discussion except to tell you I do this now. I have a LL modded version on my home desktop and a non LL version (still use CBBE body and Botox/Bijin for beautification) on my laptop for when I am out and about, since like you the last thing I want is to be playing in public or at a relatives and have one of my weird kinky-assed mods to kick in.  While I am using the basic same character on both machines (female Breton with my own custom preset) they are totally different playthroughs for the reasons already given. Oh yeah I also use different clothing/armor replacer's on each game Lazman's "super skimpy" at home and Chrono Trigger's "sexy" for out and about.

Edited by wokking56
On 11/28/2021 at 3:42 AM, Sugar Glider said:

Is this just asking for trouble?

Yes- Skyrim stores the entire history of your character in each and every save file. That's why each save gets progressively a bit larger. Each save-file also includes a list of all your mods, which is how, when you load a savegame from which you have uninstalled a mod, it displays the name of the uninstalled plugin and asks you if you wish to continue loading that save. Therefore, the first "regular SSE" save you make on your one character will corrupt that save and subsequent saves for your Sexlab game and/or vice-versa.

Then you would have the issue of multiple dependencies- for example, PapyrusUtil and SexLabUtil... there are many other mods that need this resource, but I'm not sure if/how you could arrange for your "regular" machine to use the version installed on the SexLab machine. Similar situations would exist with XPMSSE, Racemenu, etc. The minute you decide to install them on both machines, expecting Skyrim to figure out which ones to use under which circumstances, the Sky Will Fall.

So while it might be possible for you to overcome the one-game-one-character-two-machines issues somehow (doubtful), Skyrim will quickly punish you for your audacity.

On 11/28/2021 at 3:42 AM, Sugar Glider said:

Does creating a new character on the second computer with LoversLab get around any issues?

Yes! You can easily run SSE on multiple computers, without having to purchase it again! Almost all of the problems I (and others) have pointed out to you here are due to your stated desire to run the same character on the different computers, splitting your SSE installation between the two. Once you forget about that requirement, running two mod setups on two different machines is a piece of cake.

Edited by Vyxenne
Because the post wasn't long enough before ☺
4 hours ago, Vyxenne said:

Yes! You can easily run SSE on a multiple computers, without having to purchase it again! Almost all of the problems I (and others) have pointed out to you here are due to your stated desire to run the same character on the different computers, splitting your SSE installation between the two. Once you forget about that requirement, running two mod setups on two different machines is a piece of cake.

THANK YOU, to everyone who has responded.

It is clear that using the same character across different mod. versions is a big "no" for reasons of character data corruption.

To sum up:

* Using two computers to achieve separation is fine.

*  The character saves should be kept independent. Or else character corruption.

* It is possible to use the one Steam/Skyrim account.

To check my understanding of the process, in particular (5). Thanks.

1) The original (regular) install of Skyrim will be left untouched on the first computer.

2) Skyrim is set up to be working on the new (LoversLab) computer. 

3) The setting in Steam which breaks sharing Saves between computers is deactivated.

4) (Optional) I'm guessing I can copy my existing Skyrim Steam installation over from the "regular" computer to the "LoversLab" computer at this point. And that it should work just as it did on the original computer.

5) (POINT I'M NOT CLEAR ON). Vortex Mod. Manager on each computer lives its own separate existence. I don't need to create separate groups or anything, as the one installation literally does not know about the other. From this point on, I install LoversLab mods to the new computer using their recommended install processes, and there is no feedback to the original computer, nor vice-versa. I can use the same Vortex and Nexus Mods logins without issue.

Does that workflow - particularly point 5 -  look roughly correct?

Thanks again.

4) (Optional) I'm guessing I can copy my existing Skyrim Steam installation over from the "regular" computer to the "LoversLab" computer at this point. And that it should work just as it did on the original computer.

5) (POINT I'M NOT CLEAR ON). Vortex Mod. Manager on each computer lives its own separate existence. I don't need to create separate groups or anything, as the one installation literally does not know about the other. From this point on, I install LoversLab mods to the new computer using their recommended install processes, and there is no feedback to the original computer, nor vice-versa. I can use the same Vortex and Nexus Mods logins without issue.

Does that workflow - particularly point 5 -  look roughly correct?

4) I don't think so, I think you will have to get a new Steam Client from the web, even though they may well be the exact same files. The reason is the Registry, which the client installer updates correctly, but a file-copy does not. Hopefully, someone who actually has 2 Steam clients on 2 different machines both using the same Steam account will correct me if I'm mistaken on this. Also, I advise you not to just copy your backed-up SSE files to your SL machine. Let Steam install SSE for you (it will be AE) and after blocking updates on the new machine, THEN copy your Skyrim files over and overwrite the AE files. There are a couple of guides on the Nexus forums detailing which cc-related files you should delete- here is one, and a link to the other is in it..

5) A new Vortex installation will live happily on your SexLab machine, and neither know nor care about its twin on your other machine. However, I advise against just doing a file copy of obvious Vortex files, for the exact same reason as 4) above. It's a short download. Once you have your unmodded SSE up and running, install Vortex and install SKSE64, Racemenu and SkyUI and make sure all of them work- you can't effectively mod the game without those 3 mods.

Edited by Vyxenne
Because publicising obscure links is good brain exercise
On 11/29/2021 at 6:52 AM, Sugar Glider said:

I'd mark this thread "answered" if that were an option. 

Edit your first post and change title by adding '[SOLVED]' at the beginning.