which is currently the smartest way to avoid steam AE updates?

i’m planning to restore 1.5.97 from backup. whats the best strategy to block steam updates for any foreseeable future? these things i’ve read about today:

- the setting to only update game on launch;

- patch application manifest file to the latest versions’ ids;

- start steam in offline mode (is it even necessary, if its already fooled into thinking game’s updated by the patched manifest as above?)

- start game only via skse64 loader. does it guarantee tho that steam won’t still start regardless, alonside the game?

Edited by at433
  • at433 changed the title to which is currently the smartest way to avoid steam AE updates?

I keep Steam in offline mode unless I'm playing Doom Eternal or ESO. Now if you really want to get aggressive about this, simply disconnect the ethernet cable  from your PC that connects to your modem. No internet connection, no way to download anything, FU Bethesda. AE should have been released as its own game, NOT a so called upgrade to SSE. Especially with all the bugs it came with.

I assume you're on Windows: then find the file [Steam]\steamapps\appmanifest_489830.acf

Right-click on it: Properties >> Read-Only 

Voila, Steam will throw an error when it tries to update Steam the next time. If you want to enable updates again, just remove the read-only flag.

This method has the advantage, that you can't update by accident and every other Steam game still will update with no problem.

Edited by Mister X
42 minutes ago, Mister X said:

I assume you're on Windows: then find the file [Steam]\steamapps\appmanifest_489830.acf

Right-click on it: Properties >> Read-Only

in that case game can only be launched via skse, is that correct?

Well, you can't use Steam anymore to start the game, as it still will know about the update and tries to download it. It won't be a problem if you click the Steam button though, it just will try to download anything and fail for that game.

But your mod management tool should be able to start Skyrim with or without SKSE with no problem.

Afaik, it's as simple as blocking updates for both the game and steam and as well, allowing steam to run in only offline mode. If you use vortex, you'll also want to avoid allowing vortex to install the latest version of SKSE just to make sure (Vortex has in the past attempted to install new versions of SKSE on my system (I'm fixe to 2.0.17 due to one or more mods - not sure which -  that don't like the newer SKSE).

I've had them blocked and only allow steam to load offline for a while and am still playing SE

Edited by anjenthedog
28 minutes ago, anjenthedog said:

I've had them blocked and only allow steam to load offline for a while and am still playing SE

and this way you've never had any issues with steam spontaneously returning into online mode, of its own, possibly after restart? or eventually refusing to let you into the game again unless you go online?

I have backups at least double on different drives, because sh..t happens.

Turned on updates on gamestart only

Set acf read only

Stay steam offline on gamestart.

Start only via skse

firewalled steam.

This is the protection up tp now.

Future plan

Create virtuel drive and set library.acf pointing to this device.

26 minutes ago, at433 said:

and this way you've never had any issues with steam spontaneously returning into online mode, of its own, possibly after restart? or eventually refusing to let you into the game again unless you go online?

Steam for is at least the last 4 month constantly offline. never turned itself back online but steam itself still gets updates. Maybe in a fracture of some seconds.

The rest is the same as most others did plus my backups if it someday decides to fuck with me.

2 hours ago, at433 said:

Well, I'm not going to say it's 100% bullet proof and end up in some virtual courtroom over it... But...

Windows auto-rebooted (some stupid Windows update) the other day. I have steam configured to start on window boot. (it always asks me, online or offline?, I choose offline) When steam came up, it detected that there was a new update available and asked me if I wanted the update. to which I said no. Then I loaded steam offline like I normally do, and all was well. Haven't used the game today but I'm sure it'll be fine. It's been fine so far since the update. Can't say that'll solve it forever, but it seems logical.

SO, one important detail in there aside from following the previously outlined "rules", remember: If steam suggests a new update is available, don't install it. 

If that's enough, fine, if not fine. good luck.

Edited by anjenthedog

one more thing i’ve been curious about is whether anybody out there might have an up-to-date list of steam game update addresses, so those could just be simply blocked via the hosts file, in the etc folder. did a quick google search today, found these:

cdn.steampowered.com cdn.store.steampowered.com media.steampowered.com

not sure if this list correct or exhaustive, but maybe that could work nicely too?..

I use a backup.  I use Steam for too many other things to leave it offline.  Eventually it will update unless you force a change through the above file edits, which I also don't want to do...I'll never remember what I did if/when I do want to update Skyrim one day. 

The game updated once, I just copy and pasted the back over it and it's fine.  If it happens again in a few weeks, I'll just copy/paste again.  No breaking Steam and no worry on having a working version.