If you're anything like me and completely missed the memo to disable updates of SSE before the recent patch came out, this might help.

1. Disable updates (set to update only when launched, always launch through MO from now on)

2. enter this:

download_depot 489830 489833 2289561010626853674

into steam's console. It should download the pre AE SSE skyrim.exe to your computer, move your current .exe somewhere else and pop this one in the folder (the console should tell you where it ended up).

So far, it's worked for me, but we'll see what fun new ways Todd breaks the game I guess

Edit: removed a "not" that shouldn't've been in the first line

Edited by Toucanyoucan
Edited out a confusing "not"

I believe someone posted a patch to revert Skyrim back to SE (I think?  maybe LE, too?).  It was posted in the past couple of days but I don't remember the thread.  I have not used it so I can't vouch for it it works or not.  But check some of the discussions around Anniversary Edition in the past few days.  

If your method works, great.  If not, try that patch. 

FYI - I think it would be helpful for others who have this problem if you provide an update if this worked for you long term or if it did not.  That way people looking for solutions know what to do. 

Edit:  here's the post with a link to a downgrade patch if your accidentally updated to AE: 

Edited by ttts1
update now that downgrade patch is posted
5 hours ago, ttts1 said:

'd never heard of it despite being a Steam user for over a decade. 

Same here, hence the question. Thanks for the link.

14 hours ago, ttts1 said:

I believe someone posted a patch to revert Skyrim back to SE (I think?  maybe LE, too?).  It was posted in the past couple of days but I don't remember the thread.  I have not used it so I can't vouch for it it works or not.  But check some of the discussions around Anniversary Edition in the past few days.  

If your method works, great.  If not, try that patch. 

FYI - I think it would be helpful for others who have this problem if you provide an update if this worked for you long term or if it did not.  That way people looking for solutions know what to do. 

Edit:  here's the post with a link to a downgrade patch if your accidentally updated to AE: 

Edit #2:  looks like the original Nexus download for the downgrade patch has been set to hidden.  Not sure if this is temporary or not. 

It seems to still be working, played a few hours with no noticable stability issues, it should just be the old .exe so I can't forsee any future issues (yet)

2 hours ago, anjenthedog said:

So if we have game updates and steam auto-updates turns off, then is there still something to worry about?

The original poster did not know about AE and had auto-updates turn "on", is how I understood him.  So his game updated before he realized there was a problem and had to figure this out.  I'm sure there will be a lot of people trying to figure this out now.

I have had no problem since I have auto-updates off (set to update on launch through Steam) and am launching the game with SKSE through MO2. 

Edited by ttts1
On 10/12/2021 at 10:24 PM, RJLbwb said:

You got to wonder what the hell is wrong with Betheseda. 11 years is well passed the time for TES6,

On 11/6/2021 at 8:32 PM, Toucanyoucan said:

If you're anything like me and completely missed the memo to not disable updates of SSE before th AE patch came out, this might help.

With posts like these, it's no wonder some users are confused!

The memo advises users to disable updates, not against disabling them.

The AE patch should not yet have been released- it's due out on 11/11/2021, the 10th anniversary of Skyrim's 11/11/2011 release- hence the name, "Anniversary Edition."

Edited by Vyxenne
Because there's nothing good on TV
16 hours ago, Vyxenne said:

With posts like these, it's no wonder some users are confused!

The memo advises users to disable updates, not against disabling them.

The AE patch should not yet have been released- it's due out on 11/11/2021, the 10th anniversary of Skyrim's 11/11/2011 release- hence the name, "Anniversary Edition."

woops, good catch, I'll fix the original post

• 1 month later...

I've just been trying to install and run Skyrim SE and discovered the whole AE update problem. 

As nothing seemed to work very well, I used the Downgrade patcher. 

Only now I get the following message (about OSA.dll) when trying to run the game:

REL/Relocation.h(567): failed to open file. 

I've tried reinstalling OSex, Ostim, ORomance etc but nothing stops this error from coming up. 

After uninstalling them entirely, I get the error: 
REL/Relocation.h(711): Failed to locate an appropriate address library with the path: Data/SKSE/Plugin/versionlib-1-5-97-0.bin
Apparently this means that I'm missing the address library. Reinstalling the Address Library for SKSE plugins (using either the AE or the SE version) doesn't change this one bit. 

Does anyone recognise this error and how to fix it? 

Edited by Darsie