OSA\Osex and SexLab\LoversLab installs

There is something else. I'm having a really difficult time focusing today. INI files. After repairing AE, I didn't notice that the Skyrim.ini and the SkyrimPref.ini had reverted back to the original install values. In the middle of my install I discovered this and did the Gopher ini instruction video to get it right. That is the one I thought it would use since I had copied the documents folder with those in it when I copied the game over to fix the AE install shit. Wrong again! Any impact you think?

Edited by BDNelson
added content

I have been using Gopher's video to set the Skyrim ini's for 8 months. Always worked just fine.

Skyrim launcher: When I first installed the game I had to use the launcher to set the video settings in order to start the game so Vortex could see that it was installed and start modding. When I got there I set the graphics to Ultra. Is it possible that those graphics settings are on Low instead of Ultra because of what AE did?

13 minutes ago, BDNelson said:

No numeric values are not listed. That's what I need to confirm I have the right ones in place. I have all the categories listed I think, from what I saw.

You have to burrow down the headings to see the numeric values on that site.

You can rely on Gopher. He knows his stuff!

If you relaunch your Skyrim Launcher you can choose your settings again.  I usually go for 'high' rather than ultra because shadow settings on Ultra are FPS-munching. If you use Ultra, drop the shadows to medium and Godrays to low on the launcher. You can always boost them later.

I have no idea what AE INIs would do. I highly recommend keeping a set of default INI files backed up for a rainy day.

If you move (not delete!) the SkyrimPrefs.INI file out of the My Games folder and run the Skyrim Launcher, it should generate a brand new one for you. Make sure you are Offline for Steam when you do that.

Edited by Bluegunk
13 minutes ago, BDNelson said:

I can't use the Launcher ever again to set these, can I? It'll start the AE thing all over again, won't it?

No. You have the correct Skyrim.exe in place and, I assume, you have the vanilla pre-AE game files in place. So long as you are in Off-line mode for Steam, all the Skyrim Launcher will do is reset the SkyrimPrefs.INI file. 

I've used it quite frequently.  

Should you wish, you can generate a new one by removing the original INI file from My Games.  That's a good way to make a clean start.  The only thing you need to make sure of is putting your screen size in.

Of course, then you'd have to make your adjustments to the SkyrimPrefs again.  Always keep a vanilla version backed up. It saves a lot of grief.

If you go on-line in Steam and play Skyrim with Steam on line, then you'll get the AE update. Just stay off-line until you get sorted.  I never play with Steam on-line anyway. I only play off the PC. Don't like Steam snooping about my PC.

Edited by Bluegunk

Ok, I gotta say this right. Those values are the values that were in place when I looked half-way thru my install. The Gopher video improves the settings beyond the stuff listed in that link, those are the vanilla settings. You see, this is why I'm not an avid follower of the S.T.E.P. Project, outdated and already improved information. I discovered this when I tried to use the STEP as a guide for my install. The install order was all screwy, I thought. Have you ever watched the Gopher Skyrim ini video, it has very usefull info in it.

4 minutes ago, BDNelson said:

No, I haven't tried starting from the Skyrim.exe in the game folder. Think I should? Now?

Give it a try. If you get to your game menu without a CTD, then the fault is likely in one of the SKSE-based mods.   

(You could try loading a save but you'll get  a load of errors!)

After which if you launch the game using SKSE and it CTDs before the game menu, that pretty much confirms it.

Edited by Bluegunk

It started. New game=No skse, stuff won't work it said. Expected that. Before I posted you last time I started the launcher that way and reset the video settings. When I Just started it with the Skyrim.exe it did it again. Like the game had never been started in the 1st place, do I have that right?

2 minutes ago, BDNelson said:

It started. New game=No skse, stuff won't work it said. Expected that. Before I posted you last time I started the launcher that way and reset the video settings. When I Just started it with the Skyrim.exe it did it again. Like the game had never been started in the 1st place, do I have that right?

I don't know.  But the vanilla game starts, we know that.   

So, will the game start with the regular SKSE starter?  You can start a new game with SKSE enabled because you need it for Racemenu and various player-building mods.

Edited by Bluegunk

I think we can be certain that it is a SKSE, or SKSE requiring mod that is causing the problem.

Probably the only way is to:

1. Check you have a SKSE.INI file like this (it should be in the Skyrim/Data/SKSE folder)

[Display]

iTintTextureResolution=4096

[General]

ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

WriteMinidumps=1

;EnableDiagnostics=1

[Memory]

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=1024

ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

2. If that doesn't work, reinstall SKSE and its scripts (and make sure you have the INI file)  -  NB keep a back up of your SKSE plugins before you do that.

3. Plod through and disable SKSE or SKSE-related mods until you find the culprit.

Start with the last SKSE-related mod you remember putting in, and work back.  Might any SKSE mods be accidentally the AE version? I did that and blew up my game. Check your PapyrusUtil is the SE and not the AE version - because that was my mistake!!

I'm going to watch trash TV but (as it is on the PC) I can hop back frequently to check things with you.

Edited by Bluegunk