OSA\Osex and SexLab\LoversLab installs

NICE! Here's something for in the morning. I just got done running FNIS manually as I do after every mod I even suspect has an animation(s) in it. The mod count on the bottom of the FNIS page says 11127 with NO overload warning, this is NEW! Something changed when I installed FNIS\PCEA2 as the last FNIS mod to be installed. In addition when FNIS auto-ran it did not display any screen at all when it exceeded the limit, this also is NEW! I defiantly think WE did something right. Great job! Thank you. More to come!

Hmmm.  You should not have an overload warning from FNIS if you use the XXL version. That permits something like 32,000.  Are you using it? Is it possible the general FNIS exe has accidentally replaced the XXL exe?  It strikes me you are using the regular, and not the XXL version of FNIS here.

I need to understand: when you are 'auto-running' FNIS, are you doing this by clicking the Deploy Mods button?

When you 'manually' run it, are you doing that outside Vortex completely, or by the Vortex Dashboard?

As I understand it, once FNIS is installed you should normally run FNIS from the Deploy Mods button and it creates the FNIS Data mod in your Mod Name list.  Every time you use the Deploy Mods button thereafter, FNIS will check for new animations. If there are any it will update the FNIS Data mod. Otherwise it will do nothing.

You can run FNIS from the Vortex Dashboard but you may have additional things to do (not being a Vortex user I am going by the videos I've seen). 

You should not run FNIS from anywhere else then apply it to Vortex, because it might muck up Vortex's indexing system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, in searching around I've noticed that there may be an issue with the way PCEA2 stuff is handled by Vortex. It would seem you need to bundle up your animation PCEA2 folders and zip them up, and get Vortex to add them as a mod.  And there is also a danger of older PCEA2 information being left lying around in Vortex after previous installations.

Read this in detail - looks like the information you need is right here!

Spoiler

FNIS PCEA2 - Player Exclusive Animations (dynamic) SE

02d0c83b7b52defe485a6f750a6ca48f?s=100&d=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.nexusmods.com%2Fpublic%2Fstyle_images%2Funderground%2Fprofile%2Fdefault_large.png Posted by OgamiGoro on 28 November 2018 - 05:24 PM in File topics

****How to customize PCEA2 animation lists when using Vortex*****

So after several days, multiple reinstalls, and lots of frustration, I think I've finally figured out how to customize the PCEA2 lists when using Vortex. Big thanks to Fore for his....let's call it "tough love" help on this one, and for making the mod in the first place. It's really wonderful.

If you read the description, it does say you can customize your PCEA animation lists and even remove animation files you don't want. But as Fore very vehemently pointed out, this description predates Vortex, and inexperienced modders, (such as myself) might make the mistake of moving files around or removing them while Vortex is installed. The problem is, even if you remove PCEA2 in Vortex, your game file will still have a record of the PCEA2 animation lists in its Meshes file, and even on reinstall, Vortex will refer to it. This can cause FNIS to ping a warning of "too many animations," at best, and at worst cause Vortex to lose its s***, rendering it all but unusable.

However, it IS possible to replace the original PCEA2 folders with custom lists of your own, without Vortex going apeshit and becoming unusable. The steps I followed were these:

~First: Assemble your own custom PCEA2 list~

This should be done elsewhere on your comp. I did mine at first on the desktop, and now I have a dedicated folder on my C:\ drive for Custom PCEA Lists.

1. Manually download Fore's PCEA2 zip, as well as any other animation zip from Nexus that you want to add to the list.
2. Unzip the PCEA2 to access the files. Proceed to assemble your list FOLLOWING THE RULES laid out by Fore in the description.
3. Unzip the custom animations you want to add, ONE AT A TIME. Most if not all of the ones I've seen unzip simply as "data," and it's easy to lose track of which custom animations are which. Add each to the PCEA2 list, again FOLLOWING THE RULES in the description.
4. Once you're happy with your list, zip it. DO NOT INSTALL IT YET!

~Installing Custom PCEA2 lists in Vortex~

If you already have PCEA2 installed in Vortex, start at step 1. If you've never installed PCEA2 ever, skip to step 4.

1. In Vortex, Remove PCEA2, both the mod and the archive.
2. Go to the Meshes folder in the main game path: [C:\games\steamapps\common\SkyrimSpecialEdition\Data\meshes\actors\characters\animations].
3. There you will find the FNIS_PCEA2 folder. Remove this folder. (I deleted it completely).
4. In Vortex, drop in your zipped custom PCEA, install it, run FNIS.
5. Win.

I've repeated this experiment a few times, and Vortex is working fine. I was able to install and enable other mods, no problems, no Vortex crashing, no screaming. As of writing this, my game is fully modded up, with no issues, and PCEA2 is working just fine.

It should be possible to have as many custom lists as one wants, and swap them out any time, following Fore's rules and the above steps. Just remember, only ONE PCEA2 at a time. Vortex will NOT add variants, even if you name your PCEA2 lists identically! If you want to update or change your lists, you'll need to swap them out using the steps above.

This is what's working for me at least. I realize that this is probably all review for more experienced modders, but for this particular mod with this particular mod organizer, I haven't found very much online that is useful or up to date. So I hope this helps.

Again, big thanks to Fore for the great mods, and for taking the time to slap my noob ass into shape.

[Sorry the yellow highlights were from my search!] 

Other information I found:

On the PCEA2 Nexus Page it says:

ATTENTION Mod Manager users (Vortex, MO(2), NMM Virtual Install): do NOT try to make the following changes DIRECTLY into the mod manager's mod directory for FNIS PCEA2. Mod managers do not recognize changes that are manually done by the user. You need to make a new FNIS PCEA2 zip file, and install this with your mod manager.

and from a post in the PCEA2 forum:

Although your post lacks DETAILS as well, I can see the general misunderstanding that many Vortex users have. You cannot simply modify a mod by changing files in Vortex "staging folder" (i assume you talk about Vortex' mod folder). By doing so you bypass Vortex book keeping. And most of all you don't have the necessary links set between Skyrim\Data and the Vortex mod folders.

The only proper way to do this under mod managers is to add the information as an additional zipped mod. Or (as a user only!) rebuild a new PCEA2 zip if you want to remove some of PCEA2's default data within the same step.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More generally on Vortex I found this video series - I don't know if you have seen these? They might be handy:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE7DlYarj-DfYgxma5znKGYEqAHDU_WU-     Gopher knows what he's talking about.

Hope this solves the problem?

Edited by Bluegunk

FNIS overload warning: I don't think this is a problem. There is wording in the warning that says there is a way to turn it off via that ini file I told you about, I tried that, the warning still pops up. But here is why I don't think it's a problem, in the same warning it says FNIS has no idea the engine fixes are in place and doesn't know the new limit is 32,000 so it continues to flash the warning anyway. Remember I had this game working really well until LA. I HOPE I can get there again. I don't plan on getting anywhere near that 32,000 limit. FNIS just got done, I have an exact quote.

Warning: Too many custom animations. Your Skyrim is likely to crash (CTD crash to desktop)

You can increase your animation number DRASTICLLY with these tools:

Animation Limit Crash Fix (Skyrim SE and LE), SSE Engine Fixes (Skyrim SE only)

Since FNIS cannot know if such a mod is installed, it will still warn you at the original limit.

But when such a tool is used, load calculation can be switched off (FNIS.ini: "LoadCTDCalculation=0")

I have 13,800+. I'm not ready to start a new game yet and I have no saves. Give me a chance to get into the prison cell and we'll see what happens. I am VERY confident about the outcome.

I forgot Auto-run and when it runs. When I download a mod, I click install, after it finishes and I enable it (activate), FNIS automatically starts and runs. That is what I mean by "auto-run". Vortex\Dashboard is where I make FNIS start manually by clicking the tool button for FNIS. I hope I said that right. I run The Vortex\Dashboard FNIS then SSEEdit then LOOT and do it all over again.

Sorry, I'm hopping back and forth, I'm installing.

Deleting mods from the Vortex\mods\downloads\skyrimse folder: It is TRUE that when you delete a mod from this folder Vortex DOES NOT like it! I did this about 6(?) game rebuilds ago, I won't do that again! Now I copy the mod to a safe place and use Vortex to delete it from the archive, this works just fine. I get to build my archive and Vortex is happy.

While I have you, is that gorgeous creature you have for a PC your own creation or a preset? I'm looking for a couple of presets so I can install that new body randomizer. I have some already but they don't use a mod slot... sooo. But not too many, I know. Keep it within reason.

1 hour ago, BDNelson said:

hat gorgeous creature you have for a PC your own creation or a preset

She's a preset. I'm clinically incapable of making anything other than a Frankenstein monster.

You'll be tickled to know I've broken my game! It won't start up and I haven't a clue why.  Lol. ?

I'm working my way backwards through some updated mods and minor changes but having no luck.

Yours will now fire up and work perfectly!

Oh no, Blue screen of death, disk repair and now MO2 with no mods in it.  Looks like it's my turn to have some bad sessions!

Edited by Bluegunk

I just discovered that the latest Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch is for the new Skyrim AE. There are no archives, so if you have not moved to Skyrim AE, avoid updating the USSE Patch!

Of course, I updated. Sigh.

UPDATE - I recovered most of my Mods in MO2 and my load order. Phew - that was nasty. Always keep backups!  Now, it seems the problem I had loading the game was due to USSEP. People have been complaining about stuck loading. so I'll have to consider where I go from here.  Arthmoor does not provide archive older versions of USSEP. I'm just waiting on more information from him.

Ahah - found an archived version. Back in business!!

And, no. I still have infinite loading screen. Another, low number of mods profile works OK, so this profile has gone rotten somewhere. I'm stuck.

Edited by Bluegunk

OSA?

CEO, the author of OSA, has become embroiled in some kind of mega-argument. I really do not want to become involved in it. I hope all sides resolve it for the benefit of mod users.

Both CEO and Sairion have built tremendous mods, and they would benefit so much from being reasonable. Well, that's up to them. Not my argument. 

I won't be removing my OSA, OStim, etc. They have awesome animations. But (for the time being) I will wait and see how the argument plays out. So mine will stay in and if that's as far as they progress, well, so be it.

Meanwhile, yes the recovery of my game meltdown is complete and all is restored.  ?  But I must get that wonky RAM stick replaced. 

But I can't find the cause of being stuck on game load.  The damn thing won't fire up. It's almost certainly a memory issue and I bet my bottom dollar it is a corrupted DLL in one of the mods. 

I'll leave it to Monday (UK time) to go through it all.   I might just tear up the game and start again. 90% of it is good (I know the mods) so it won't take long to strip it back, and rebuild - testing on the way.  There are a few Follower Mods that didn't live up to my expectations that I'll dump, and I'd like add a couple more homes and re-do Dyndolod anyway.  I only got to Lakeview Manor in the Alternate Start; I hadn't even started Helgen, so there's no real loss! (This game didn't even make it to Riverwood! ?)

I would like to move to Skyrim AE, but the LL mods don't seem to be updating yet.

Hope yours is going well!

PS - thanks for the offer on USSEP. There is a Nexus archive and I found what I needed in there. Next time I'll put my glasses on before updating a mod.

Edited by Bluegunk

2:40 am I did discovered that I had 2 race overhaul mods going at the same time. I wonder why these "management software systems" didn't pick that up? Hmmm... I am nearing the end of my install run, will keep you appraised. Doing a bodyslide batch build right now for a test run.