Baldur's gate 3

19 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

great graphics and gimmicks.

That's about all the game has to offer at the moment and I'm not sure what to make of it. I've played it and it's definitely still in a very early stage of development.

In terms of content, there really isn't much, and the devs currently seem to be more focused on fixing issues (which is good) and expanding gameplay (additional character classes, more choices for dialogues/quests,...). To me, it feels like a weird mixture of your average computer RPG (with quite a bit of simple point-and-click action) and some mechanics that are supposed to resemble the "real" D&D experience (strictly turn-based combat, skill checks shown as actual d20 rolls on-screen,...).

It all works out somehow, but in my opinion, it doesn't really live up to its name and it's not nearly as interesting and enjoyable as the old Baldur's Gate / Icewind Dale games. On the other hand, BG2 was released back in 2000, so maybe a game like that just isn't the right thing for the target audience of today anymore.

In any case, I don't think it's worth the full price, so if anyone thinks about buying it, they should wait for a sale.

Edited by Crashdown117
1 hour ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

This is not a game I'm looking forward to simply because I'm not a fan of D&D 5e.

I also don't like 5e, and the way they adapted the rules for BG3 doesn't help one bit. Feels like luck is worth more than skill sometimes.

At least I can save the game and then keep re-loading until I finally manage to get past those annoying skill checks.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the biggest problem is hanging the Baldur's Gate tag on it. just like the BMW Mini ain't a Mini, it might be good, even... much better but it still ain't what it says on the tin...

All too often we get served with a re-imagined version of a popular title from years ago, whether it be films, TV shows, cars, or video games. same really as the UFO series.

And though nostalgia really ain't as good as we remember, I feel that new products should stand up on their own merit wearing their own badge and fu** the bean counting Promo Execs.

For me, Baldur's Gate 3 should have been made yeeeeeears ago in the same vein as BG and BG2 (and Icewind Dale, IWD2) just better, not much on gimmicks, simply the same but a little bit more, and a iddy widdy bit better, maybe allowing for full import of your previous characters/party, and with a ton of customisation.

But, as we get older and spawn our own free thinking gamers wanting different things, we must move on, and that goes for the Gaming studio promotionalist too.

I won't be buying or even playing BG3, it's simply not my sort of game, too much wizzy speedlines multi coloured zingy power whopps and whooshing in the videos I've seen... Nah, not for me!

But don't get me wrong, it'll probably easily outsell all other BG games put together. (but that could simply be the way finances are now)

6 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

Verticality is a thing in 5E but Larian do it to death.

Ahh, I understand (I think) Like a higher/lower level/height thing?

If so then Yeah, I've come across this sort of things in a few games where the oppo's can hit you but you just shoot the wall... so yeah, call me an old fashioned 'flatlander'

Sorry about that, it gets less funny when you have to explain it :)

12 minutes ago, JDough400 said:

Ahh, I understand (I think) Like a higher/lower level/height thing?

If so then Yeah, I've come across this sort of things in a few games where the oppo's can hit you but you just shoot the wall... so yeah, call me an old fashioned 'flatlander'

Sorry about that, it gets less funny when you have to explain it :)

Yes. It was bad enough in D:OS 2 but seems to be even more worserer in BG3. Unless a throwing weapon is involved then height doesn't really make a weapon do more damage. I can't see why a fireball or other spell would benefit from height. Direct LOS shooting with a bow wouldn't benefit from height. It's just novelty, gimmicky, dumbed-down bollocks IMO.

2 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

Direct LOS shooting with a bow wouldn't benefit from height.

Unless that height gives you greater range of sight/fire, but implementing that is usually not in the scope of an RPG (because physics are complicated stuff). Aside from that, the entire "higher ground" stuff seems to me like someone wants to appear very smart after reading exactly one book on ancient or medieval warfare - e.g. The Art Of War or De Bello Gallico (I think, the advantages and disadvantages of terrain are probably mentioned in every one of them, at least to some minor extent).

Just to be clear, there is some form of advantage that comes with higher ground (not having the disadvantage of fighting an uphill battle), but that advantage is a different one for every type of weapon (and none for spells, because magic).

This is really something for strategy games like the modern XCOM titles, where you just put your sniper somewhere up high, then scout ahead and kill stuff from a distance.

13 hours ago, JDough400 said:

maybe allowing for full import of your previous characters/party

Like BGT/EET did for the transition into BG2? It sure was nice to have all the effort from the first game pay off (especially for Jaheira and Viconia, giving you healers that could survive on their own). However, since Throne Of Bhaal had an actual ending (with some text about your party members' lives afterwards and all that), BG3 would have probably been a rather new story anyway (and maybe using 3e rules, like IWD2 did). Or we would have gone east with Minsc, yet another character more memorable than all of those in BG3 combined.