Do You Think of Your Emotions as an Asset or a Liability?

15 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

Emotions are a reflex. Without a fear of failure humans would not know success.

Not true. When you fail at something, you only analyze how you feel about it after. Some people give up, while others become more determined to succeed. In fact emotions fuck things up usually even while we are trying to succeed. We may not even really want to succeed even if we think we do. So fucking confusing, lol. No emotions mean you put the same effort towards succeeding always. Same dependable output against all obstacles with no fear or doubt, etc. to cripple us.

Edited by KoolHndLuke

Digital dreams from Google's A.I.

Google             Google Deep Dream Getting Too Good – Art & Crit by Eric Wayne

So is our curiosity a product of our emotions or of our intelligence? Can you have an opinion on something and really not care about it one way or the other? Just find it interesting to explore? Of course you can. It's only when something we learn about may have some kind of impact on what we care about that we attach (or feel) emotions to/about it. So curiosity is a logical trait, not an emotional one. That would also mean that we would still dream and create art even were our emotions absent. Our imagination isn't a product of our emotions either it seems. Could we also not experience empathy of a sort? Say we had reasoned that another person is somehow important and should be preserved. Wouldn't we give the necessary effort to achieve that goal? Couldn't the same reasoning apply for all humanity?

A world.. and an existence of pure logic is not as cold and bleak as some imagine. It just feels alien to us because of those very feelings.

Edited by KoolHndLuke

Actually, I would rather ask if this is really imagination. Is imagination only is putting together things we are not used to see as one? Of course, if we look back at the most ancient remnants of human imagination, it seems to be nothing more, but yet... What makes a worthy product of imagination besides how we feel about it? Isn't it how we discard nonsense from imagination? Because yes, A.I. can reproduce art and is greatly improving to do so as time passes, but what if not our habit of our art based on our feelings told us the first try were mistakes, so we could help A.I. to « improve » what it « thought » was already correct?

And on the same idea, A.I. do « imagination », if we call it like this, creates art and dreams because we asked it to do so. But would a « society » full of A.I. find any interest of doing so? We are curious to see what can be achieved even with that « lack », but I'm not sure a society used to its only logical state would have the same curiosity about art and dreams. It's useful to us to stimulate our emotions... what use would it be for logical only beings?

On 8/24/2021 at 1:19 PM, KoolHndLuke said:

would we humans be better off as purely logical beings?

Absolutely, unequivocally, yes.  Every single time I've let emotion rather than logic run the show, it's either gotten me nowhere or gotten me to the wrong answer.  Emotion tends toward how we wish our environment (the world) was, whereas logic is observing what the world actually is and acting accordingly.

That's not to say that one should be a soul-less automaton, but when making decisions about the world around you, there's virtually no room for emotion in the consideration.

Edited by AKM
1 hour ago, Darkpig said:

But why? You get no pleasure from this, no satisfaction.

You do things because you determine they need to be done in order to achieve/overcome, not because you want to. Just because the desire for improvement isn't there doesn't mean that you don't know that improvement would be necessary and/or beneficial. If fact the desire to do only what we want or the unwillingness to not do what's necessary has fucked us as a species innumerable times.

Look, I'm not saying that our emotions don't help us sometimes. What I am saying is that more times than not, they are an added obstacle that impedes us further. First you have to reconcile your feelings in order to do what's necessary? Extremely inefficient. That's best case scenario too... look at what negative emotions have done to us! Strife and wars because of greed, distrust, old hatreds? It'll be a wonder if we make it to the next century, lol.

Edited by KoolHndLuke

I feel like emotional I.Q.  plays a Major role with the management of emotions.

I feel a nice balance....of everything,  is essential for some amount of peace and solace to exist within one's psyche. 

If one is overly emotional and only acts on them impulsively without an awareness factor in place, then that person will have total chaos all the time.

Emotions should always be acknowledged, analyzed and then managed with logic and reason to afford some balance in one's life.

21 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

You do things because you determine they need to be done in order to achieve/overcome, not because you want to.

Here is the key word. You achieve/overcome things because you want to.

21 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Look, I'm not saying that our emotions don't help us sometimes. What I am saying is that more times than not, they are an added obstacle that impedes us further. First you have to reconcile your feelings in order to do what's necessary? Extremely inefficient. That's best case scenario too... look at what negative emotions have done to us! Strife and wars because of greed, distrust, old hatreds? It'll be a wonder if we make it to the next century, lol.

It is the lack of something else in the brain that is an added obstacle that impedes. Saving people from impending doom is one thing but anything else requires careful thought and consideration. Blaming emotions for bad decisions is such a weak way of thinking. For example hatred is one thing but the mass murder of a race of people is just flawed cult think. Yes I'm talking about Nazi Germany.

emotions are just data informations from our cell brain from the day it started to divide to form a brain . an association of the stomach hormones , to our physical growing hormones , with our nerf system and stress ( pain , tickles , hair , skin , ears , eyes ) forming colours , shapes and adding colours and shapes . associating all and giving an empiric levels of importance with filters so we can not access easily . 4 or more levels of memory ram , rom , vram , system ram . and sometimes you have dreams !

emotions may be considered as pure logic . !!!    a self pure state reacting and interacting to the environment in a unique way .

emotions are assets they are body communications and more . but they varie from one to another different value , intensity .

One can control emotions only, if they are tranfered to feelings.

Emotions have no word, without a word no idea, without idea no control.

Emotion is like "I feel good", wordless. As soon as you can name it, found a word, it becomes a feeling, in this 

case e.g. "love".

Now you found a word, an idea of the emotion, transfered it to feeling and are able to control it.

One must differenciate between emotion and feeling.

Example

A woman and a man are talking to each other.

Woman: "please smelt it"

Man:      " what ?"

Woman: "it"

Man:      "what is it"

Woman: "the clinkclonk"

Man:      "what is a clinkclonk ?"

Woman:"if a car drives over it, it makes this sound"

Man:     "aah, now I got an idea of it"

Woman:"good, but in our language it's named jackdaw lid"

Man:     " now I got an idea of the meaning of this word and can handle it as you wish"

Edited by T-lam

emotions and feelings are deeply interacting you can not control emotions or feelings without minimizing there importance .

emotions are feelings and the contrary .

the "clinckclonk"  has a memory of a car sound driving over it , a first sound that get your attention ( can be fun or fear ) and you add a smell to it ( can be delicious or disgusting ) . and it gets a name ( simulation of a control ) .

words are the result of  emotions and feelings  you can try and rip them appart and all you will get is confusion .

You didn't get it. In the 2nd sentence you mix it up again.

You speak of words, me from the idea, an idea cannot exist without a word.

Words can be overtaken from other cultures. Cultures have a word for something

another culture might not have a word for this. Then this culture without this.

word cannot have an idea of it. Not related to emotions at all.

Same with emotion and feeling.

Without a word for it, an emotion remains an emotion. It becomes a feeling as soon as you

can name. After that you got an idea of it and it becomes a feeling.

You get aware of it and control it that way, that ii is not going to overtake the clear thinking.

It depends strongly on the individuum. Some have only a handful of names for feelings.

This ones live more emotional.

Others got plenty of words for emotions, shift this to feelings, they can name dozens of feelings. Those live more after feelings.

The idea of something is the prerequisit to think about it, but you need a word before to become an idea of something.

• 2 weeks later...

interesting question.  Would we be better off if we were organic logic machines?  Probably yes because we wouldn't be burdened with greed, anxiety, stupidity, lust and other emotions that cause people to make bad decisions.  Logic and reason tend to lean towards the common good and that usually tends to make society a better place to live.