The next Xbox reveal

Guest flingingfeces

You're missing the point.

The fact that these systems can do these things doesn't mean that people buy them specifically for that.

People buy videogame consoles to play videogames. Anything else is a convenient extra, it's nice to have and use but the system isn't sold based on these features, it's sold on it's ability to play games.

And yes, current gen consoles can already perform most of these features. But do you really point at a console and say "hey it can do this and that and I can watch TV on it!" or do you primarily regard it as a device that plays games? 

The fact that Microsoft is touting features that are either already present or completely redundant is part of what's making them look so foolish.

And here I thought you where the one missing the point. Either way, yes; they are focusing on the wrong features. Good good, have a biscuit.

C'mon guys, don't be so hard on the Xbox One. Didn't you see the unveiling? They have fish that swim away when you approach them!

I mean... how can you even put a price on that?

LOL.

They we're talking about how better it looked but besides the examples they showed it just looks like a prettier BLOPS 2. It didn't look very next gen.

"Both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 have adopted electronics and an integrated systems-on-a -chip (soc) architecture that unleashes magnitudes more compute and graphics power than the current generation of consoles. These architectures are a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market and their unique design of the hardware, the underlying operating system and the live service layer create one of the most compelling platforms to reimagine game mechanics."

lol... one of the posters said it best, this is one of those PR statements aimed solely at the people who want to hear it and don't care if its true or not. Anybody who knows the first thing about PCs will probably just get a chuckle or two out of it. "PR at its finest, lying directly to customers because hey, they don’t know better, fuck em."

I'm inclined to agree. 

In other news, in an exclusive interview with CK Entertainment, charismatic resistance soldier Kyle Reese had this to say about the "always on" feature of Xbox One's integrated Kinect:

20130524136939558214241.jpg

Kyle Reese: "It will always be listening, watching. You can't disconnect it. You can't turn it off. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."

Well, maybe not that last part. Maybe.

In other news, in an exclusive interview with CK Entertainment, charismatic resistance soldier Kyle Reese had this to say about the "always on" feature of Xbox One's integrated Kinect:

20130524136939558214241.jpg

Kyle Reese: "It will always be listening, watching. You can't disconnect it. You can't turn it off. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."

Well, maybe not that last part. Maybe.

The scary part is, that it literally is watching you with Kinect... :D

after windows 8 you think they learnd not to piss off the customer but no what did they do trying to commit suicde by pissing off the ppl buying their last good selling product.

Microsoft without the last pillar (games console) its a very dark future for them.man im glad i sold all my shares after windows 8 and invested them in sony :)

It seems Microsoft itself don't know what to do yet lol.

Xbox One games will require regular authentication checks, used games won't have a fee

The Xbox One will not require gamers to pay a fee to reactivate a used game, but it will require a regular online spot check to verify the authenticity of games being played, according to sources familiar with the system.

While an internet connection will be required for the console, the company is also experimenting with special exemption codes that could be given to select people in very particular, internet-free situations, like active-duty soldiers serving in war zones, sources tell Polygon.

Microsoft "will disclose more information in the near future"

The ultimate system that Xbox One will use for used games and online authentication sounds like it is still in open debate on some level internally, which may explain the company's reticence in more directly clarifying the matter this week. Microsoft executives have been discussing the reaction to the confused messaging surrounding used games and internet requirements and plan to detail the console's take on both sometime before E3, according to our sources.

During this week's Xbox One unveiling, Microsoft officials gave conflicting answers to questions about used games and online requirements. According to an official Q&A from Microsoft, the Xbox One does not "have to be always connected, but does require a connection to the Internet." Speaking with Kotaku, Microsoft's Phil Harrison said that the console would require an internet check every 24 hours.

Microsoft officials later said that was one potential scenario.

According to Polygon's sources, Microsoft officials haven't yet settled on the specific amount of time that can pass between checks, but that some form of regular check will be required to play games.

The Xbox One will automatically authenticate a game using an encryption code built into a game's disc, when it is installed on the machine. That authentication on the console's hard drive tied to the game is then verified regularly through an internet connection.

When a person sells the game or it is installed and played on another system, the game is deauthenticated on the original machine until the disc is brought back and used to re-authenticate the installation.

Our sources also said that there are no plans to charge gamers a fee to sell or reactivate a used game. Earlier today, Microsoft's Larry Hryb touched on the topic of used games on his blog, but didn't say whether fees will be required.

"The ability to trade in and resell games is important to gamers and to Xbox," according to the official statement he included in his post. "Xbox One is designed to support the trade in and resale of games. Reports about our policies for trade in and resale are inaccurate and incomplete. We will disclose more information in the near future."

We reached out to Microsoft for comment and representatives pointed us to Hryb's statement.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/4362680/xbox-one-games-will-require-regular-authentication-checks-used-games

So they did intend to charge for used games and they intend to make online drm. They had to because those things cant be add so late in development. But to their surprise it caused shitstorm and now m$ is rethinking what to do.

You really have to question the management and development acumen of Microsoft if they can't seem to portray a consistency in what they're trying to sell. It's like they put forward all this crap just to see how much they can get away with - which these days, apparently, is not a lot, thank God.

Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Sadly this.

Like how all the casuals rushed in and made the wii sales higher than 360/ps3? Not saying that wii owners are dumb, just that sometimes unexpected things happen. Like a console designed for casuals that outsells the better consoles. Sorry wii owners, but I really hated that console. Damn casuals  :@

Hey don't diss the WIi, sure it was a failure by the end of it's life but it had some amazing games.

I'll do what I want  :P 

Ever since the N64 nintendo has gone downhill imo, I can emulate wii games on my laptop, says something about its hardware (if I tried that with a 360/ps3 game it would probably explode).

Hey don't diss the WIi, sure it was a failure by the end of it's life but it had some amazing games.

Ever since the N64 nintendo has gone downhill imo, I can emulate wii games on my laptop, says something about its hardware (if I tried that with a 360/ps3 game it would probably explode).

Graphics does not a game make.

Graphics does not a game make.

Never said that, some of my fav games this gen: dark souls, dragon age origins both had horrid graphics. But I would like something I paid 300-500$ for to play games from the current gen, not last gen. wii did have brawl though I'll give it that, could play that game all day every day

Archived