The next Xbox reveal

Guest flingingfeces

On a side note EA has been talking crap about the Wii U and even stated they had no games in the making for the console. Then today after the conference and the nas dropping EA suddenly states they have games in the making for the Wii U! Sounds like Raph a little too Raph!

Actually what they said was that they were not making games using the Frostbite 3 engine since tests using the Frostbite 2 engine showed the Wii U lacking the capability to run it. This only means that they will publish games for the Wii U through other developer's engines.

I was expecting today's look at the new Xbox to be disheartening, and it was a bit worse than I thought it could be.

From what I can gather, the "always on" isn't true, but if post-reveal quotes are to be believed, the XB1 will need to check in online every so often or stop working.

From Kotaku:

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

That..doesn't sound good.  I don't think I've been without internet at home for more than a few hours for the last decade, but I still think that's absolute crap.  Plenty of times my internet has worked, but a certain server is down (EA's making some of my ME 2 DLC unavailable due to their servers being down even though I was connected to Live - Diablo 3's horrible launch - WoW, when I played it, would semi-regularly become inaccessible to me even though I was still in Vent with my raid group - etc).  A 24 hour required "check in" is just another thing that is likely to go wrong and cause me, the consumer, an unneccessary headache.

The Kinect will always be connected - why?  I don't want one.  The mic on the Kinect will always be at least in a minimal power state listening for commands.  Even today, people watching the reveal on their 360's with Kinects had all kinds of issues of the reveal's voices turning things on and off.  Why in the world would I want one of these things?  I don't know much about the PS4's eye thing, but I don't see how it can be WORSE than the Kinect 2.0.

And why would I want to plug my cable box into my Xbox to watch TV through my Xbox?  I can do that just fine now without the extra hoop.

I don't know who this is aimed for, but it's not me.  And I've been gaming since the SNES (well really since the Commodore 64 and Intellivision).  But I'm probably too old for MS to care.  I mean I have zero intention of EVER installing Windows 8.

I was leaning towards the PS4 as my next console, but the Xbox news made me realize Sony is probably planning something similar - EA got rid of it's online pass thing recently, and I'm guessing it wasn't only because MS is enabling this always on type of ability - I bet the PS4 won't be too different.

But one of the 2 systems will likely have an exclusive I really want to play (leaning towards PS4 here), so even though the PC will continue to be my main gaming machine (like the past 2 or 3 years), I'll end up getting one of the next gen.

I just think I'll feel less dirty if I get a PS4.

I really wish the WiiU had more than 1 exclusive I want to play (Monster Hunter).  I can't justify spending so much to play 1 game (not a huge fan of the Mario world stuff - I don't own a Wii).

The PS4 hasn't even been officially revealed yet and I'm already pessimistic. Looks like console gaming is dying, at least for me. From the media focus (I want to play games on my console not watch fucking tv, listen to music or go on facebook!) to the no used games shit microsoft (and probably sony too) is trying to pull. Shame, I really loved my PS1, PS2 and xbox 360...

In fact the whole gaming industry has been going downhill lately, from money grabbing dlcs to trying to stop second hand games and over the top efforts to stop piracy. The future of gaming looks grim.  :(

Xbox One is a disaster before it's even been released. Nintendo must be very happy because their console just became a whole lot more relevant. Once it has some games on it, who knows? It's not like anyone is going to buy a Xbox One (not smart people anyway) with all these bullshit fees they keep adding on and always online (they say it's not but that's bullshit, it is). I'm not interested in the PS4 either so I hope Nintendo can rise from the ashes, right now Nintendo is almost as screwed as Microsoft but I hope they can recover. I don't care what people say, I love my Mario and Zelda, it doesn't matter if there is 3 billion games based around those character if those games are different from each other but still amazing and fun to play.

Well, the Dreamcast dying is all wrapped up in a history that goes back half a decade before the thing even came out, there was a circumstance surrounding it that if that had not happened (in other words, three or four hardware releases that failed to meet expectations world-wide combined with the fact that Sega has never been as strong a distributor as any of the current console hardware distributors are now) the Dreamcast would not have been pulled at all considering the sales it had been getting. No, it didn't do well, but it didn't fail outright either. It was actually doing pretty good in North America, but it was simply a matter of it being too little too late. The Dreamcast was a gamble and a shot at redemption; the Xbox One is just par for the course.

Rest assured, Microsoft is not in the same position as Sega was in the late 90's, so they aren't going to go down this, or even the next generation even if their hardware bombs hard enough to warrant it. Microsoft is huge, 'too big to fail' as some would say. And there are things that they can do to turn things around if they need too.

I know that poster was trying to be 'cool and edgy' in a "Oh look, I can call this shit and compare it to something that failed mid-run implying that it may do the same" way, but that's still not an apt comparison.

It's all about control. What Microsoft want is for players to rent licenses to play their games that they still own, that they can check up on and revoke at their whim, that you the player have no control over.

Like hell I'll be involved in that. Well okay I wasn't very interested in an Xbox to begin with and it's "fabulous" Call of Halo lineup. But still, the arrogance is unbelievable.

Guest flingingfeces

On a side note EA has been talking crap about the Wii U and even stated they had no games in the making for the console. Then today after the conference and the nas dropping EA suddenly states they have games in the making for the Wii U! Sounds like Raph a little too Raph!

Actually what they said was that they were not making games using the Frostbite 3 engine since tests using the Frostbite 2 engine showed the Wii U lacking the capability to run it. This only means that they will publish games for the Wii U through other developer's engines.

That's true,  but it's also a different story.  Here's the info on the story I meant. 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/ea-developing-wii-u-games-after-all

Microsoft seems to get it's panties wet over the idea of a universal entertainment system regardless of the fact that nobody wants a universal entertainment system and nobody ever has.

Sure being able to play movies on your console is a nice little bonus but that's not what it's for. It's not for movies, TVs, blogging or whatever.

It's becoming absurd how everybody like Joe there is having to point out what should be the blatantly obvious: Consoles are for games.

Their obsession with making one box that does everything is laughable, I mean what next? An xbox that's also a fridge? That folds out and becomes a bed? Maybe you can buy a wheel addon and it becomes a skateboard! Oh oh, I know! A gun barrel attachment to turn it into a rifle for members of the NRA! Now your xbox does absolutely everything!

Guest flingingfeces

I don't mind that it does all those things,  but for the love of god it should be a game machine first and foremost.  Also what was the point of having 343 their only to turn it directly over to Steven Spielberg?   

Guest Lehshara

500GB HDD? - Too little.

I thinked about buying "XBOX ONE" but after I saw this:

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

I totally changed my mind.

They essentially took everything people said they DIDN'T want, and made it a reality.

"XBOX ONE" - DENIED.

Here another nice comment on the new xbox

Maybe this way the pc becomes again the leading platform for game development.

Jim is very smart ,Ever since I first read some of his reviews on Destructoid I have been trying to follow his articles as much as possible .

>implying nobody wants a universal entertainment system

>implying that doesn't already exist and you're most likely using it right now

You're missing the point.

The fact that these systems can do these things doesn't mean that people buy them specifically for that.

People buy videogame consoles to play videogames. Anything else is a convenient extra, it's nice to have and use but the system isn't sold based on these features, it's sold on it's ability to play games.

And yes, current gen consoles can already perform most of these features. But do you really point at a console and say "hey it can do this and that and I can watch TV on it!" or do you primarily regard it as a device that plays games? 

The fact that Microsoft is touting features that are either already present or completely redundant is part of what's making them look so foolish.

Archived