Fallout: getting started

I ask the same thing about Skyrim for Fallout:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/17285-skyrim-and-mods-getting-started/?p=395042

Hypothetically, If I were to get Fallout

Which one do you recommend?

Fallout 3?

New Vegas?

Are they "compatible" in terms of modding?

Is there anywhere a "Must Have" list of mods for any of them or both?

What mods are needed to make your character look nice?

I think FNV is the better game. Some of the original Fallout team worked on it and you will notice it. The whole world has more variety to over and is therefore more intresting and more fun to explore. So i would recomand to go for FNV first, storywise you miss nothing when you leave F3 out.

FNV has the more mature "adult' bits. FO3 seems bigger and greater to explore than FNV in my opinion. I like the FNV interaction and story .. more like side stories I get better then the FO3. Some here run both on the FNV engine using a mod that is available. It takes some work but with your experience I doubt that you will run into any problems getting it to work. If that is the case you can have both

I am unsure of the other questions except this one:

What mods are needed to make your character look nice?

There are several but one that your familiar is Roberts male body but he doesn't have as many armors as Breezes male. 

the women have many textures to choose from so that shouldn't be any issues. The shapes of the body might be hard to choose because there are so many different meshes and many of the meshes work with the textures etc. You will have to research which work with which ones. However with your skill you could probably fix any that are close easy enough.

I use Blackblossom texture body mod for women. Breezes male mod for males. I then add some better eyes. I change them depending on my taste from various mods with drag and drop etc. Then there are the armors which I haven' yet been able to try them all out and haven't made any decisions myself which ones I like better. Guess it is just depending on my current taste. using the T3 body (has smaller breast) I find that I have more selection of armors and the such if you want bigger .. um.. use the BB model. FNV / FO3 also has the BB bodies and BBB as well.

You will need astima's skelly for the bodies if you want to use Sexout. In my opinion and not because it is posted here on LL. Sexout is the closest thing to Oblivion Lovers with PK you will get. However keep in mind it isn't as developed as PK is. However I found it easier to get to work properly instead of PK. Could be because I am unfamiliar with Oblivion and the mods they have.

Of course there are a variety of game fixes packs like Oblivion. My advice would be not to use any of those until you get more comfortable with the mods that you will be using then find a pack that works for your mods.

Depends on what you want , FNV is a better game in almost every aspect including a better a variety of mods , sex and normal ones , but Personally I think the world of FO3 is more realistic .

I quote myself on the same question about Skyrim, for which I have the same answer  :P :

Well it would be helpful when you give more information in what direction you want to mod your game e.g. immersion, quests, skimpy amors etc.

Well being that the choice Iwd have to say immersion is my thing

That, and any mod that could qualify as the "gold standard"  for having pretty characters

This could mean mods that you guys consider absolutely necessary for gameplay

So the world in FO3 is "larger" but FONV is better "developed" is that it?

Hmm...

But the mods i need for one ore the other are entirely different? or is there some relation?

Im not entirely sure how compatible are these game's modding systems

For example, in FO3 I need a totally different body replacer than in NV?

Same example: "Sexout" works for both games?

This could mean mods that you guys consider absolutely necessary for gameplay

So the world in FO3 is "larger" but FONV is better "developed" is that it?

Hmm...

But the mods i need for one ore the other are entirely different? or is there some relation?

Im not entirely sure how compatible are these game's modding systems

For example, in FO3 I need a totally different body replacer than in NV?

Same example: "Sexout" works for both games?

Many of the bodies and armors work on both games, or more exactly have been ported over from one game to another so that you really aren't looking for "different" mods. However unless you want to work to "port" the mod you need to find the one compatable to the game your playing.

C'mon man, at least do a little research... the topics and answers to your questions are literally *right there* .... 

He is an "Ancient Vampire Mage"..... maybe his eyes are bad!  :D

C'mon man, at least do a little research... the topics and answers to your questions are literally *right there* .... 

He is an "Ancient Vampire Mage"..... maybe his eyes are bad!  :D

Hah  :lol:

No, my eyes are good, they regenerate over time

But part of it is true, I have no excuse and I just feel very lazy right now...

Research... I spent a lot, and trust me... A LOT of time doing research for Oblivion

Just wanted to save me a bit of the trouble before attempting other games... something to narrow it down

Just so when I start any process, I know exactly what to do... like getting a general picture of everything

Asking general questions helps to get big pictures and I get to hear from other people's experiences...

Besides... Im a people person... well... sorta  :P

EDIT: So BTW, this IS the research... the very beginning of it, its an embryonic form of it 

I know you worked very hard on Oblivion. I have read/followed along the animation post until I started to get crossed eyed at the level of technical talk that I just couldn't understand without seriously working to learn animation myself.

I really like FNV and FO3 for different reasons. I am playing or trying to play Oblivion and finding it interesting but still return to the "wasteland" quite often.. My point, and I do have a point is  you might start thinking of Skyrim the sequel to Oblivion as opposed to different mechanics and such. Many of those that were developers of Oblivion seem to have migrated to Skyrim. I believe you will enjoy yourself more with Skyrim.

Not to say don't play FNV/FO3 that would be a great disservice. I m just stating that maybe not to the level where you are looking for breathing animations. Just saying. :P Load up some fmods with bodies like Blackblossom and Breezes. There you have a base body. Find some eyes that you like instead of those soul less eyes that are standard. Grab some armors. Script extender. SexoutNG and some of the more popular mods for Sexout. Project Nevada, Bounties (anything from the modder Someguy found on the Nexus) In FNV don't forget the Nivea dog eye fix unless you like dog eyes attached to the right ear of the dog. :s Some companion mods.. just so that you can make some more use of Sexout... :blush: then sprinkle some various light mods. Try to keep the mod list below 100 mods for stability and performance there seems to be some issues with # of mods and plugins and modern equipment.

this should keep your wasteland urges in check while you focus on breathing animations and various sword swinging animations for Skyrim. ;) that should keep the "madness" to a minimum. Wont prevent it you most likely will be in CK modifying various aspects of Skyrim. Making animations etc. 

That should give you some direction. :angel: 

You could always get FNV and get FO3 later when the tale of two wastelands is most of it's bugs worked out so you can combine both games together? I guess. But I would recommend FNV first. Also I would recommend getting NVEC (New Vegas Enhanced Content) and Project Nevada mods for it as they really add lots of great stuff to the game.

The main reasons I started becoming interested in this is because I was under the impression that Fallout and Oblivion are kind of like "twin games"

It could seem Fallout is "Oblivion with guns"

And Oblivion is great, but it lacks the gun part!!

There are mods that add guns, but even to the best of them, bullets do not exist, and the damage these guns from mods do is a magic spell that hardly can try to mimic the functionality of a gun. There are pose mods with guns, but of course, the guns do not work

Also there is the difference between two worlds being one a medieval fantasy, where if you want you could put everything that was ever written in that context as mods, like The Lord of the Rings, Narnia, Vampires, Dragons, Mages and anything related cause it combines perfectly. Its a very open world modding possibility. The closest thing to an infinite world you could want. Anything you dream, can be modded into it, alternate universes, magical places, etc... Only ONE limitation, one tiny limitation: futuristic worlds. There are clothing mods and a few new futuristic new places in mods. But not as perfect as it could be. Fallout on the other hand has that extra thing about exploring another fantasy universe, but this time being a wasteland. A real wasteland is something terrible, but for a fantasy is an amazing thing. Again I say, there are no wastelands in Oblivion, only well... the planes of Oblivion but those are red lava things... Finally to say, sword fights are always cool, but very few things are as badass as a minigun... like this guy:

T2JDHandheldMinigun-9.jpg

From what Ive read here, seems both games have their qualities and Ill probably try them both too

I must acknowledge I had my doubts about New Vegas, despite you saying its better designed and more "moddable" I had the feeling its world is more desert centered (being in Vegas and all..) and FO3 has more variety of wastelands... but im not so sure anymore

So thank you very much for your advises. These comments shall prove very useful later when I decide to start pimping my games

If you can go without the mature sex mods found here on LL I think you will enjoy the FO3 wasteland more than the FNV version. I have played FO3 since it came out for over 600 hours (and those are only the hours that registered in the Steam, not the xbox version I played before or any hours that steam didn't want to register because of modding. :blush: )

Now that you know that you would say that I have pretty much covered all aspects of FO3.. Nope. A short time ago I finally ran into uncle Leo. The only other friendly super mutant other than Fawkes. (Harold doesn't count he has mutated into a tree). I have found new areas of exploration that I didn't know existed. That combined with a varied mod collection you will be quite busy indeed. There are a lot of hidden places that are quite difficult to find or access.

FNV has better character development in my opinion. Much like oblivion seems to have. Shame the world space wasn't as developed as in FO3 in FNV

Generally speaking about the gameplay, this is my personal opinion. For me NV is generally better, more sofisticated. I think for example at the relationships with companions and how they react to some events, at the factions, also generally I see the quests and the storyline better and more original. FO3 world is bigger but more "empty", some marked locations aren't that great as in NV. Comparing them two full modded, still I see in NV a better quality. About the DLCs, they too have a very different style and I think they all deserve to be played. I preferred those in NV because they gave me more variety of locations, but also the scary landscape of Point Lookout has no comparisons in NV. FO3 has Washington DC, New Vegas isn't comparable at all with that charming destroyed city, with the right mods like DCInteriors it becomes so interesting to explore and very very big.

Till now, I still would say NV wins on FO3. But FO3 has something that the other game can't give me, the reason why I really can't say what's better: the sense of being lost, wandering alone in the middle of nowhere, everything is more wasted, entering in a home, looking at the skeletons, wondering what happened there... I can't feel that in NV, everything's more bright, joyful, happy. And has something that I really miss in NV, the mod FWE. Even if Project Nevada for NV is definetely sofisticated and full of amazing features, it doesn't give me the same sense of surviving than the other mod gives me. I find it totally necessary for FO3, while in NV sometimes I even play without any overhaul mod.

Really, they both deserve the same chances to be played, deeply. They give different feelings.

FO3 if you like post-apocalyptic feels and don't mind a cheesy, on-rails, so-stupid-it-hurts central story. FNV if you 1) are a fan of FO1 and FO2, 2) enjoy westerns, and/or 3) must have a not-terrible story.

I don't think the story in NV is great by any means (but it is better than the "story" in FO3), and the atmosphere is kinda grating if you don't like western themes, and it doesn't really feel like post-apocalyptia* aside from the occasional irradiated water source... but it is still probably the better game overall. And it's much more faithful to the Fallout universe.

Plus, sex mods. FNV has Sexout, FO3 does not. If you're in it for that, there's no question, FNV is the one you need.

*N.B.: 300 or however many years after a nuclear war, the atmosphere truly would be more like FNV than FO3 (actually it would be even more normal/natural than either, for reference see regular old nature retaking Chernobyl), but FO3 feels more like what many of us like to think it would feel like.

While I prefer FO3's atmosphere by a longshot, my only problem with it is that it doesn't fit a world set 200 years after the apocalypse. Everything is basically untouched and unexplored, which is why you get skeletons lying around and abandoned houses everywhere, not to mention loads of loot and stuff to explore. In my head, I just assume I'm playing some sort of weird DLC prequel and that the whole thing is set 50-70 years after the war, and then it makes perfect sense. 

FNV was a bit too "westerny" for my tastes, but still, you felt people had actually been living there for the past 200 years, as opposed to it just having been blown up yesterday. It *could* have done with more areas to explore though. 

Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim all are based on the Gamebryo engine. That means moddability, game mechanics and bugs are carried over the entire series.

As a lover of post apocalyptic settings, Fallout 3 is the best for me in terms of ambience and size of the gameworld. However, both FO3 and New Vegas share several defects that are really detrimental of the experience:

- Low resolution landscapes and a multitude of instances of very low, terrible quality textures. This is a Gamebryo trademark, really.

- The developers made the fatal mistake of sharing the skeleton across genders. Females have a terrible case of "football shoulders" that can be modded away fortunately. Another feature that is very hard to get rid of is the default "pouty nose" generic look, the body seams and the overall opaque, lifeless look of characters. I never managed to have good looking avatars in either game.

- Fallout 3 and New Vegas lack the ability of using large amounts of RAM.

- Terrible default animations.

Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim all are based on the Gamebryo engine. That means moddability, game mechanics and bugs are carried over the entire series.

As a lover of post apocalyptic settings, Fallout 3 is the best for me in terms of ambience and size of the gameworld. However, both FO3 and New Vegas share several defects that are really detrimental of the experience:

- Low resolution landscapes and a multitude of instances of very low, terrible quality textures. This is a Gamebryo trademark, really.

- The developers made the fatal mistake of sharing the skeleton across genders. Females have a terrible case of "football shoulders" that can be modded away fortunately. Another feature that is very hard to get rid of is the default "pouty nose" generic look, the body seams and the overall opaque, lifeless look of characters. I never managed to have good looking avatars in either game.

Don't forget that the limitations are first and foremost due to the fact that all these games have to run with 30fps on a XBox360. The PC version is a console port and not the other way around. You either get corridor gameplay and pretty graphics like the Witcher or an open-world with dialed down graphics.

The RAM limitation has been rectified with the LAA (4GB)-launchers and has been a problem for all TES games as well.

In regards to the terrible textures and generic characters, I find NMC's texture pack and New Vegas Redesigned II fix those problems very effectively. Throw in Vurt's wasteland flora and you have a totally new game in your hands.

CK, which version of Vurt's Wasteland are you using?

In regards to the terrible textures and generic characters, I find NMC's texture pack and New Vegas Redesigned II fix those problems very effectively. Throw in Vurt's wasteland flora and you have a totally new game in your hands.

I use the full on all vegetation one. 

I use the full on all vegetation one. 

I tried a simular mod in FO3 and didn't like the people walking through the trees. I mean literally walking through the trees. The nav path wasn't developed for the trees properly. Is this an issue with the full vegetation one? I looked at Nexus and it is great work. Just need to see which version I will like to add to my mod list.

Right. So first one I got Is FO3

-Low resolution, I can live with

-RAM, no issue there

-Animations, well... I noticed some animation replacer mods and If I dont like them, I have been learning to make my own in Blender...

-Looks... thats a concern, but i figured with good textures and better head meshes everything should get better right? When I first gazed upon Oblivion's chargen, I was astonished to see how ugly the characters where in comparison to screenshots, but collecting a few things, like the famous Head06 and some good textures for it, I managed to create one of the most beautiful characters ever. (Yeah Im really proud of her...)

-Is this horrible case of "football shoulders" what worries me. Ive grown accustomed to Oblivion HGEC Body which is almost flawless in terms of proportion. Anything less looks like crap to me

Some initial approaches show that "Type3" Body is the most popular for FO3

But there are many and I have to dig. In Oblivion Im just happy with HGEC from C to E cup. Apparently for Fallout there is a completely different disposition. The question is which way is better solution for football shoulders?

It seems in order to solve this football shoulder case I need a good skeleton and probably some new animations:

-Ritual suggested Astymma's skeleton

-I found an Oblivion compatibility skeleton somewhere in Nexus... not quite sure if its a good Idea, saves time in rigging and I could port anything in theory, but what about the dismemberment system? and what about its compatibility to vanilla Fallout clothing?