Fix texture mismatches (LE/SE/Whatever)

Fix texture mismatches (LE/SE/Whatever)

View File

tl;dr: This is a Windows batch file that copies files from one place to another.

The problem

Mod authors who make new NPCs (or beautify the vanilla ones) often have a very specific idea of how they want their characters to look like, so they bundle custom textures with them for they to look exactly like envisioned. And they look exactly as intended... on THEIR OWN COMPUTERS.

The problem with using fixed textures for your NPCs is that you (modder) basically coerce players to use the same textures as you. If you (player) don't use them, you get the kind of color mismatches and seams between body/hands/feet/neck you see in the first picture of this file.

For example, do you use Leyenda Skin and installed The Ordinary Women (an NPC beautifier)? All bodies (naked, armored, clothed, whatever) will use Leyenda, but faces, hands and possibly feet of NPCs modified by The Ordinary Women will use the textures its author made for them. And you will be getting ugly color mismatches and seams as your prize.

The solution

It's quite simple, really. You just copy the textures you actually want to the folders with the custom textures made by the culprits; thereby, replacing them.

But that's a really tedious job. You copy one file by one, hoping you didn't forget to replace any of the textures. Or you can brute force and carelessly copy all files from the folder with your textures, but textures files are big and you can easily rake many gigabytes of useless files if you do so.

The best solution is using my script, of course. This script copies only the files that already exist in the destination folder.

Better yet, it also replaces files found in subfolders, so you don't need to run this script many times; once is enough (people that have ever had to mess with Bijin's textures will really apreciate this feature).

Usage

1. Put my script (bat file) in the folder with the textures you actually want (in my case, Leyenda).
  2. Drag and drop the root folder you want replaced (Bijin in this example) to my bat file and you are done.

Example pictures on how to use it are in this file's description.

I suggest to backup the folder with the textures you actually want before using my script.

Not because it's prone to errors, but because we are the ones prone to make mistakes :P

I made this script some time ago and I forgot how to use it, so I ended up replacing the files I wanted with the files I didn't want... twice :P

If you ever forget how to use it, you can open it with Windows Notepad and read how it works. I certainly wrote those instructions specially for me :P

Once you are familiar with how to use my script, you can stop backing up your folders.

Troubleshooting

This is a simple script that replaces files by name. It won't work on files that:

• Don't have the very same name.
  • Exist in the target folder, but not in the one where you put this script.

Since it just copies files, it doesn't matter what game you use it for.

Hell... for all I know, it could even work for Fallout (I don't play it, btw).

7 hours ago, jfraser said:

this is a fantastic little utility, thanks :)

Glad you liked it. 

I've made tons of these kind of things and I want to share them all eventually. 

55 minutes ago, zenonthez07 said:

Why don't you just delete the custom bodies in the ESP? Saves a ton of time and is just as effective with the added benefit that the game doesn't have to load an entirely different texture set.

Yeah, you're right. I hadn't thought about how we are loading redundant info. 

That doesn't solve the head-body mismatch unless you change texture records too, so they point to vanilla textures.  

I'll look at what record entries controls head textures, so I can make a script that changes Worn Armor and whatever controls face textures, so they both point towards vanilla info. 

1 hour ago, zenonthez07 said:

Why don't you just delete the custom bodies in the ESP? Saves a ton of time and is just as effective with the added benefit that the game doesn't have to load an entirely different texture set.

Do you know what records I need to change so faces point towards vanilla textures? 

I've delved into xEdit and even Nifskope, but couldn't find anything that points towards custom face textures. 

I even made a script to do a deep search for finding things that point toward face textures, but couldn't find anything. 

4 hours ago, Papitas said:

Do you know what records I need to change so faces point towards vanilla textures? 

I've delved into xEdit and even Nifskope, but couldn't find anything that points towards custom face textures. 

I even made a script to do a deep search for finding things that point toward face textures, but couldn't find anything. 

Should be under Texture Set category. Usually under femalehead"charactername". Or you can look under the Headpart record and look for "charactername"head and see where its linked texture set is located in the ESP. That is if the mod is setup correctly and the paths weren't manually changed in the nif head file like is the case in Bijin. Otherwise your original method would work better unless you provide corrected head nifs for download.

Sorry about that. I fixed the problem so long ago manually that I forgot that step was required for certain NPC Makeover mods.

14 hours ago, zenonthez07 said:

Should be under Texture Set category. Usually under femalehead"charactername". Or you can look under the Headpart record and look for "charactername"head and see where its linked texture set is located in the ESP. That is if the mod is setup correctly and the paths weren't manually changed in the nif head file like is the case in Bijin. Otherwise your original method would work better unless you provide corrected head nifs for download.

Sorry about that. I fixed the problem so long ago manually that I forgot that step was required for certain NPC Makeover mods.

Thanks. 

I suspected some mods changed texture paths directly inside the nif, but some of them seem to not do it like that. 

I also expected not having to mess with texture sets records, because that would need some knowledge of how the character was setup. 

Not an easy option for people afraid of using xEdit.