Using UniqueNPCs with BodyTalk, FusionGirl, AAF and OCBPC [updated 28.5.2021]

On 6/15/2021 at 9:28 AM, Carradon said:

... Any suggestions/help would be very much appreciated!

Hey @Carradon,
Just spent last the last week and a dozen installs experimenting with different options in some of the ingredients. In all of them i didn't see any results like yours! I did find that using the "EssentialNPCs" option in the uniqueNPCs install caused strange texture problems.

In your case i believe the problem is with the Better Settlers install. The UniqueNPCs install replaces BetterSettlers.esp with everything it needs to do, so the other BS .esps are redundant. The only BetterSettlers file that should be active is "BetterSettlers.esp", so disable:

*BetterSettlersNoLollygagging.esp

*BetterSettlersCleanFacePack.esp
*BetterSettlersFacesOnly.esp
*BetterSettlersMortalPack.esp

If this works, you can then safely delete those files.

If it doesn't work, try another full install that doesn't generate those extra BS .esp's.

Try SKK Combat Settlers for your settler mortality needs. It is compatible with BetterSettlers and UniqueNPCs and has more options.

Congratulations Carradon you followed the instructions very well, but it looks like i may need to clarify the BetterSettlers installation details.

EDIT:

Noticed that in the UniqueNPCs setup you selected the LMCC file replacer rather than the LMCC patch. This probably didn't cause your problem, but the file replacer option may conflict with other mods that use LMCC.

FYI these are my Install Order and Load Order when the 50 ZEXED NPCs video was taken:

INSTALL ORDER

1. Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch-4598-2-1-3-1622921619
  2. F4SE_0_06_21
  3. HUDFramework 1.0f-20309-1-0f
  4. DEF_UI - https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10654/
  5. Mod Configuration Menu 1.39-21497-1-39-1575706632
  6. Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource (AWKCR) - https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6091
  7. Armorsmith Extended v4.6-2228-v4-6-1550963207
  8. BodySlide and Outfit Studio - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25/
  9. LooksMenu v1-6-20-12631-1-6-20-1604483725
  10. Looks Menu Customization Compendium-24830-v10
  11. Caliente's Beautiful Bodies Enhancer -CBBE- - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15/
  12. ZaZ - Extended Skeleton-36702-4-0-1606282622
  13. BodyTalk - https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/34208
  14. FusionGirl - https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/37268
  15. Lazmans Curvy Preset for FusionGirl-49873-1-1614826838
  16. Better Settlers - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4772/?
  17. Militarized Minutemen - https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/29853
  18. Unique NPCs v.2.0 - An Overhaul of the Commonwealth - https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21248
  19. Unique NPCs v.2.1 HOTFIX - An Overhaul of the Commonwealth - https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21248
  20. Crazy_Multi-Tool - v1.1 - www.loverslab.com/topic/71019-the-multi-tool-other-things/
  21. Female Outfit replacer For Fusion Girl -38562-4-4b-1564253672 - https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/38562
  22. OCBPC for ZeX FG BT2 JaneBod Extended-43831-0-3-1587025547
  23. MTM 3B OCBP - OCBPC Physics and Collision Preset

LOAD ORDER

Fallout4.esm

DLCRobot.esm
DLCworkshop01.esm
DLCCoast.esm
DLCworkshop02.esm
DLCworkshop03.esm
DLCNukaWorld.esm
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp
HUDFramework.esm
ArmorKeywords.esm
Armorsmith Extended.esp
LooksMenu.esp
LooksMenu Customization Compendium.esp
CBBE.esp
BodyTalk3-LooksMenu.esp
FusionGirl.esp
Unique NPCs.esp
BetterSettlers.esp

MilitarizedMinutemen.esp
Unique NPCs FarHarbor.esp
LooksMenuCustomizationCompendium-UniqueNPCs_Patch.esp
Crazy_Multi-Tool.esp

Edited by dosfox
hfa

Thanks for the detailed response...I really appreciate it.

I redid the install fully, working from a mod free save using a steam only start.

Some feedback/questions on the install you have outlined, that may help me narrow down the problems.  Some are minor or just clarifications... others I hope might help others or me figure it out :)

1 - Your Step 10 is about FG, but the screenshots show Bodytalk.  Fortunately the selections for the two mods are the same... should they be though?  I.e., when installing, we have the same installation choices on each screen of the install.  Do the same options apply to both mods?

2a - Your Step 12d, Installing Better Settlers.  Step 2 of the install for this mod forces one to choose either no lollygagging or settlers walk.  It's not shown in your screen by screen.  I believe that choosing the no lollgagging creates the nolollygagging esp file.  Not sure yet if choosing walk simply leaves it out, or makes another esp... I would assume for the former, and not sure why either would impact bodies ;)

2b - Same for better settlers.  Step 3 of installing BetterSettlers, your example shows selecting "clean face pack"... this is what loads up the clean face pack esp.  See below for details on changing these, but it sounds like your screen shot needs to be adjusted there.

2c - better settlers... steps 5 and 6 of installing this mod one has to make a selection for armor version (how decked out settlers will be) and gender distribution (50/50, mostly female, mostly male.)  These aren't covered in your screenshots... I assume because they don't impact anything in terms of bodies, but just in case, I chose standard and 50/50.

2d - better settlers... step 7 of this mod's installation showed vanilla, community hair & clothing and none.  I chose vanilla, per your outline, but the fact that your screenshot doesn't show "none" as an option makes me wonder whether we are operating off of different versions of the mod??  FWIW, mine is Better Settlers 2.0 uploaded 18 Apr 2017, and downloaded by me on 12 Jun 2021.

2e - better settlers - My install the second time around I went w/ the none option per your suggestion, but the outline doesn't show that screen.  If you think that might be pertinent to the problem, I'd suggest updating the screenshots to reflect.

3 - Your step 13 - Unique NPCs - This time, I went w/ HD-DLC in the hopes that it might clean up the brown faces.  Of note, it is the installation of this mod, and the 5th section of step 2 of it's installation, as noted in your guide, that creates the "bettersettlersfacesonly.esp" file.  

Re: your install and load orders, thanks much for posting.  I'm hoping this might be the issue!

That said, a comment or two.  One, you note in your 12th step, bullet 3, that one should load azar's ponytails up.  It's not listed in either your load order or install order.  Lacking any guidance in terms of the outline, I stuck them towards the bottom of the "in vault" portion of my load out, right after unique npc's hotfix in installation and unique npc's farharbor.esp in load.  However, I wonder if this mod should be higher if unique npcs is to make use of the hair styles?

Anyway, in terms of actual load out on my reinstall, I have: 

Load order:

Fallout4.esm
DLCRobot.esm
DLCworkshop01.esm
DLCCoast.esm
DLCworkshop02.esm
DLCworkshop03.esm
DLCNukaWorld.esm
DLCUltraHighResolution.esm
ccgcafo4001-factionws01army.esl
ccgcafo4023-factionas12army.esl
ArmorKeywords.esm
Armorsmith Extended.esp
LooksMenu.esp
CBBE.esp
BodyTalk3-LooksMenu.esp
FusionGirl.esp
Unique NPCs.esp
BetterSettlers.esp
BetterSettlersNoLollygagging.esp (unchecked)
BetterSettlersCleanFacePack.esp (unchecked)
BetterSettlersFacesOnly.esp
AzarPonytailHairstyles.esp
SimpleSurvivalConsole.esp

Install order/mod list (note, MO2 seems to reverse this, so first is actually at the bottom... not sure how to fix this in the modlist.txt)

+Simple Survival Console Enabled
+Ponytail Hairstyles by Azar v2_5a - BA2 version
+Unique NPCs - An Overhaul of the Commonwealth HOTFIX
+Unique NPCs - An Overhaul of the Commonwealth
+Better Settlers
+FusionGirl 1.8
+BodyTalk 3.15
+ZaZ - Extended Skeleton 4.0
+Caliente's Beautiful Bodies Enhancer -CBBE-
+Looks Menu Customization Compendium
+LooksMenu 1.6
+BodySlide and Outfit Studio - v5.3.1-25-5-3-1-1611081927
+Armorsmith Extended
+Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource (AWKCR)
+Mod Configuration Menu 1.39
+Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch
*Creation Club: ccgcafo4001-factionws01army
*Creation Club: ccgcafo4023-factionas12army
*DLC: Automatron
*DLC: Contraptions Workshop
*DLC: Far Harbor
*DLC: Nuka-World
*DLC: Ultra High Resolution Texture Pack
*DLC: Vault-Tec Workshop
*DLC: Wasteland Workshop

Actual results:

Using the HD-DLC selection in the first screen of unique npc's installation (your step 13) had no appreciable affect on brown face bug as far as I could tell.  Guess I need some more help in that regard.

Loading up using all 4 better settler esps (3 from BS, one from UNPC), I had similar crystallization issues w/ npc bodies.  Unchecking all but better settlers esp, I got some crystallization though I had to be right in the face of the npc for the full body to go that way.  Mid to short distances it was minimal.  Leaving only bettersettlers and bettersettlersfacesonly checked, and opening up from the mod free save, generating 5 new npcs got me no crystallization, but left the brownface bug in place.  However, upon saving and restarting the from the exitsave, the crystallization returned full force.  Of note, the bodies were "clean" for about half a second to a second, and then crystallized.  Using this same save, generating 5 new npcs in addition to the 5 already in game generated a mixed bag.  4 were crystallized and one was clean, a female.  I recycled a crystallized female and got a clean one back.  I recycled a crystallized ghoul and got another crystallized ghoul.  Saving and then reloading, all npcs were crystallized.  So, I'm not really sure if I learned anything.  It's clear then clean npcs won't stay clean once the save is loaded back up.  

The mod installation (left side MO2) and the load order (right side MO2) for our games at the point of the video are pretty much identical... I leave out a few things you have that appear gameplay related like the hud, the sorter and the crazy tool.  I include the console mod so my survival mode doesn't prevent me from testing this stuff.  I doubt any of these are the issue.  I do have the pony tails in and your load out doesn't show that, so perhaps, maybe, there's a problem there, where I need it higher in the load order?  I can't imagine that not having the militarized militiamen is causing the problem, and my nif's and ba2's are all where they should be and copied and created in exactly the right way, so I don't think there's an issue there either.

Further thoughts?  Maybe some issue w/selecting options that create lollygagging and cleanface pack esps, but leaving them unchecked on the save?

Edited by Carradon
clarity

One more thing... as I was doing a reinstall, again, I did go thru the FO4 quick clean process on armorkeywords.esm, armorsmith extended.esp, bettersettlers.esp and unique npcs farharbor.esp.  Loot sort of "requires" this when you go through the first iteration of sorting out a load order.... and then swapping them about to put them in a better order :)  Any chance that Loot's recommendation to clean the files might be a cause of my issue?

On 6/16/2021 at 8:40 AM, Carradon said:

Further thoughts?  Maybe some issue w/selecting options that create lollygagging and cleanface pack esps, but leaving them unchecked on the save?

Thanks for sticking with it @Carradon! Patience is definitely a virtue with this procedure.

1 - Your Step 10 is about FG, but the screenshots show Bodytalk.
They are different FOMODs, but the FG FOMOD has the BT text on the banner. I guess the FOMODs were made by the same person and just using a template.

2a - Your Step 12d, Installing Better Settlers
Yes, the install of BetterSettlers has been a challenge. UniqueNPCs only uses Better Settlers for the face templates and heavily edits and replaces the original BetterSettlers.esp to facilitate that. UniqueNPCs basically ignores most of the settings you make in the BS install when it generates the new BetterSettlers.esp. Any other BS*.esp files generated by the BetterSettlers install are redundant and cause problems with this procedure. The only BetterSettlers file that should be active in your install is "BetterSettlers.esp". Disable and delete BetterSettlersNoLollygagging.esp, BetterSettlersCleanFacePack.esp, BetterSettlersFacesOnly.esp, BetterSettlersMortalPack.esp if they appear in your load order.

3 - Your step 13 - Unique NPCs - This time, I went w/ HD-DLC in the hopes that it might clean up the brown faces.
Currently this procedure does not support the HD-DLC. It will probably cause brown face, not fix it. Note that you would also need to install the UniqueNPCs HDDLC fix and the LMCC HDDLC fix if you do install it.

... you note in your 12th step, bullet 3, that one should load azar's ponytails ...
Sorry, that is left over from earlier versions of the procedure. It is not required, but will not interfere with the procedure.

...in terms of actual load out on my reinstall, I have:  ...
* Do you have F4SE installed?

*Are you using Vault111 Quickstart to go directly to the vault exit before you begin the procedure?

I suggest a new install, but this time leave out:
    DLCUltraHighResolution.esm
    ccgcafo4001-factionws01army.esl
    ccgcafo4023-factionas12army.esl
    BetterSettlersNoLollygagging.esp
    BetterSettlersCleanFacePack.esp
    BetterSettlersFacesOnly.esp

You can try installing the UHDLC & CC stuff later when everything else is working properly.

Any chance that Loot's recommendation to clean the files might be a cause of my issue?
I have never used Loot. There is a good chance it is causing your problems, i have never seen those "crystalization" issues before.

Having fun? Good Luck!

Edited by dosfox

Thanks for the answers... getting a bit late to work this, so I'll try again in the am.  That said, BetterSettlersFacesOnly.esp can't be removed unless your process as outlined needs to be changed because that wa/is generated by UNPC, not by better settlers.  During your step 13, the UNPC install, the second step of the installation shows in the 5th set of selection choices "better faces only" in the section labeled equipment options.  Whether that's equipment or not I can't tell, but I know that bettersettlersfacesonly.esp is being generated by the base installation of UNPC.

As for LOOT, it's mostly a sorting tool, and usually the one that folks trying to help folks fix problems say "use first" before asking me questions :)  That said, it doesn't always put things right, especially when you are trying to get specific files to overlay other files, e.g. CBBE vs FG in this outline... As part of using it, it will identify various issues before suggesting a sort... these are normally found as yellow coded "suggestions"; one of the main ones of these is when it finds ITM records.  I won't pretend to know what those are specifically, but I believe they are left over bits of code in files (including the base game files) that don't refer to anything and can cause problems, on occasion anyway.  FO4 Edit comes with a cleaning tool that can clean up these "hanging bits" inside these files... that's another common tool that those helping others say "do this next" :)  So, as a matter of course, during my installation of the game I used the F04 quick clean tool.  Better settlers.esp was one of the files that came up "dirty".  

So, my game plan for tomorrow will be to go through another full reinstall, choosing options in better settlers until lollygagging and cleanfacepack esps are not generated at all.  I'll use your plan for UNPC, to include bettersettlersfacesonly.esp, unless you can verify that the installation guide needs to be tweaked to remove that selection of "clean faces" in your 13th step, 2nd page of the install, 5th section.  Doing the full reinstall of these mods will generate some ITM record errors, but this time I will clean only the AWKCR and Armorsmithextended esps.  I'll leave the other 2 that are coming up dirty alone, as they are better settlers related. We'll see what happens :)

In the meantime, did you happen to catch my question re: Azar's hair mod?  It's included in your outline of the installation process, but not included in the load or installation orders you gave as your example for the video.  I'll need to find a home for that in my load order unless you suggest leaving it out, at least for now.  At some point though, I would assume that for UNPC to make use of the hair styles that they would need to be loaded higher in the load order than UNPC?  I put it in at the end, but I'm not sure if they are a dependency of UNPC as you noted...

As for the ccg esls, those are some sort of creation club thing.  I'm not even sure how to get rid of a creation club item, at least not right now.  They are treated like DLCs, and the user can't change their load or installation order at all, at least not in MO2.  If my 3rd attempt fails, I'll see about how I can go about unusing a creation club mod that was probably free to all at one point a few years ago :) [though, as a side bar, I'm fairly certain these two creation club mods are nothing more than some reskins of weapons maybe, allowing for a military paint scheme on weapons or armor or some such... it's been over 2 years since I last played FO4, so I'm a bit hazy on those guys :)

Oh, ditto w/ the Ultra High Resolution thing... that's part of the ultimate edition of FO4... not really sure how I'd go about "unbuying" part of the base game, as far as my steam purchase is considered.  As far as MO2 is concerned, I have no control over it or the creation club ones :(

3 hours ago, Carradon said:

... During your step 13, the UNPC install, the second step of the installation shows in the 5th set of selection choices "better [settlers] faces only" in the section labeled equipment options. ...

OK, that is wrong. I apologise for that. Choose the NO PATCHES option there. During that install i was assuming that option would remove the armor from settler's inventories, but it doesn't. Thanks for pointing that out. I am in the process of rewriting the instructions again from scratch and your feedback is very helpful. Thank you.

... as for LOOT ...

I haven't used LOOT with FO4, but have very bad memories of it destroying one of my FO New Vegas installs for no good reason. Never again.

Until you get this procedure working properly, DON'T USE LOOT! Just follow the load order in Post 26 above. You can try LOOT after you get this working and see if it breaks it all or not.

... Better settlers.esp was one of the files that came up "dirty" ...

Probably because UniqueNPCs has hacked and replaced it. In fact it is probably "cleaner" than the original, the UniqueNPCs team corrected many errors already existing in that .esp.

... did you happen to catch my question re: Azar's hair mod? ...

See Post 29 above.

... As for the ccg esls, ...

If it's a hassle, leave them there for the time being. Perhaps check out Nexus Mod Manager v.0.80.14, i find it much more user-friendly for this type of procedure.

... the Ultra High Resolution thing ... not really sure how I'd go about "unbuying" part of the base game, ...

As long as the .esm is disabled it won't hurt being there.

You're nearly there @Carradon, can't wait to see screenshots of your results.

Edited by dosfox

Working on the 3rd attempt :)  No problem providing questions for clarification back to you; I appreciate you taking the time to respond.  About done w/ the third attempt, but I noticed you have an esp at the end of the example load out that isn't generated by any of the mods you have listed, at least not following the prescribed selections.  Where does:

come from?  The install for LMCC doesn't have any sort of installation selection process.  It just installs on it's own without input, so it's not coming from there...

FWIW, on the better settlers install, I can confirm that choosing "Settlers Walk" removes the no lollygagging esp, and choosing "dirty faces" removes the clean face pack esp, so you should adjust your install procedure accordingly if the intent is to leave those off :)

Similarly, during the UNPC install, choosing no patches on the equipment part of the 2nd step removes the install of the better settlers faces only esp.

I'll post shots of the next install, regardless of how things turn out, with notes on what I adjusted if it works out :)

Ok, I think I figured out the esp I was asking about.  In the UNPC install, you have a selection at the end for "looks menu custization compendium replacer".  Just above it is "looksmenucustomizationcompendium-uniquenpcs_patch".  Fair bet that the esp is needed since you included it in your list, but the selection set in the outline doesn't generate it.  I'm going to mod the install for that selection and see what happens...  mtf

Ok, so we are getting close, very close, but not quite there yet...

I did as above... choosing selections in better settlers that rid my install of 2 esps.

I chose no patch in the equipment part of UNPC's install.  

On the final page of UNPCs install, rather than looks menu customization compendium replacer, I chose the option just above it.  This, surprisingly, did not generate the patch esp as I was expecting.

On the final page of the UNPC Hotfix install, I chose the same.  This did generate the patch esp that you have in your loadout.

Results were quite a bit better.  Generating 5 NPCs netted clean bodies w/ no crystallization.  Brown face was all but gone... less a brown face bug and more a very slight tonal difference noticeable at the neck seem... where the faces almost match, but not quite, along the collar bones.  It's probably not an issue with a bug and more a problem of simply matching skin tone textures.  The darker skin tones were a bit more noticeable, with lighter tones almost invisible at the seems.  However, I lost all generation of names and tattoos using the revised load out, so something needs to be adjusted.  

Generating 5 more, similar results.  Did some recycling of actors, and that worked cleanly too... of note, in previous installs recycling generated very similar actors to the ones that were there previously, in terms of male-female, ghoul-normal human.  This time, recycling switched them all up on those variables.

I saved using the console and reloaded from the console, and bodies remained persistent with no crystallization. 

I closed the game and reopened from scratch, loading the survival mode end file, and bodies remained persistent with no crystallization. 

So, bottom line, I have clean bodies now, but the names were absent and the body variability declined (in terms of overlays like tattoos and scarring, etc., though body types were varied).  Brown face appears gone and looks to be more a simple texture discontinuity which is negligible.

I'm considering trying again, but this time, using the replacer selection on the base UNPC install, and the patch selection on the UNPC hotfix install, unless you have better ideas.  I preferred having the variable names and additional body variability in terms of the graphic overlays.  About 90% solution right now.

Any revised thoughts?

Oh, and plugin order as follows right now:

*Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp
*ArmorKeywords.esm
*Armorsmith Extended.esp
*LooksMenu.esp
*LooksMenu Customization Compendium.esp
*CBBE.esp
*BodyTalk3-LooksMenu.esp
*AzarPonytailHairstyles.esp
*FusionGirl.esp
*Unique NPCs.esp
*BetterSettlers.esp
*Unique NPCs FarHarbor.esp
*LooksMenuCustomizationCompendium-UniqueNPCs_Patch.esp
*SimpleSurvivalConsole.esp

ScreenShot28.png

ScreenShot27.png

Well, I tried using LMCC replacer option on the UNPC install, and the LMCC-UNPC_Patch option on the UNPC Hotfix install.  Results were the same... clean bodies, but no tats, scars, or names for some reason.  Obviously something has changed, though I can't see why removing the 3 esps (2 from BS install and 1 from UNPC install) would have such an effect on the body overlays or names.  Suggestions?

8 hours ago, Carradon said:

Generating 5 NPCs netted clean bodies w/ no crystallization.  Brown face was all but gone... less a brown face bug and more a very slight tonal difference noticeable at the neck seem... where the faces almost match, but not quite, along the collar bones.  It's probably not an issue with a bug and more a problem of simply matching skin tone textures.  The darker skin tones were a bit more noticeable, with lighter tones almost invisible at the seems.  However, I lost all generation of names and tattoos using the revised load out, so something needs to be adjusted.  

Congratulations @Carradon!! Excellent results. The green light of the pipboy doesn't give a good idea of skintones - if you go to the FO4 Settings > Display > PipBoy Color R, PipBoy Color G, PipBoy Color B, and set them all to max you will get a nice white PipBoy light.

I'm considering trying again, but this time, using the replacer selection on the base UNPC install, and the patch selection on the UNPC hotfix install, unless you have better ideas.  I preferred having the variable names and additional body variability in terms of the graphic overlays.  About 90% solution right now.

No, use the LMCC patch selection on both UNPC installs.

So, bottom line, I have clean bodies now, but the names were absent and the body variability declined (in terms of overlays like tattoos and scarring, etc., though body types were varied).  Brown face appears gone and looks to be more a simple texture discontinuity which is negligible.

- I'm not sure what you might have done to lose the names, that has never happened to me before.

- You would have to generate a few more NPCs to be sure the bodyart is not there. UniqueNPCs "randomness" is infuriating. I spawn 8 settlers at a time as i populate my settlements and it is not uncommon to generate 8/8 ghouls or 8/8 NPCs without tats, or 8 men or 8 women, etc.

- You can "recycleactor" an NPC as many times as you like, but click on the NPC (while still in console) each time before you recycle to re-register the ID.

Having got so far, it would definitely be worth starting again from scratch now that you are more familiar with the procedure. This is really a long and complicated procedure, but your patience will be rewarded with a game full of diverse and interesting NPCs. ?

Edited by dosfox
2 hours ago, dosfox said:

Congratulations @Carradon!! Excellent results. The green light of the pipboy doesn't give a good idea of skintones - if you go to the FO4 Settings > Display > PipBoy Color R, PipBoy Color G, PipBoy Color B, and set them all to max you will get a nice white PipBoy light.

No, use the patch selection on both UNPC installs.

- I'm not sure what you might have done to lose the names, that has never happened to me before.

- You would have to generate a few more NPCs to be sure the bodyart is not there. UniqueNPCs "randomness" is infuriating. I spawn 8 settlers at a time as i populate my settlements and it is not uncommon to generate 8/8 ghouls or 8/8 NPCs without tats, or 8 men or 8 women, etc.

- You can "recycleactor" an NPC as many times as you like, but click on the NPC (while still in console) each time before you recycle to re-register the ID.

Having got so far, it would definitely be worth starting again from scratch now that you are more familiar with the procedure. This is really a long and complicated procedure, but your patience will be rewarded with a game full of diverse and interesting NPCs. ?

Yeah, I'm familar... I haven't had any real trouble following the process, except in those cases where the process and the esp lists weren't quite the same.  The two UNPC options, splitting them or using one and then the other didn't have any appreciable affect, as noted.  But I did generate 10 the first time... and then I went into the same save and generated 20 additional.  A good mix of ghoul/human and male-female, based on what I assume the mix would be.  But not one tattoo or body overlay and not one name on any of them, which is surprising to me.

I suppose I can do a 4th complete install again with the double patch selection and see if that brings the names and tats back.  If that doesn't work, I'll go back to the original selections that had the tats and names, but didn't include the patch selection at the end, and see if one of those other esps has got some sort of impact.  So, one or two more installs for further testing.  But not tonight... my D&D is this evening, so those will have to wait until tomorrow I think, unless I feel particularly energetic about trying at least one after the game session ends around midnight my time!

Oh, here's screen shots of the ones generated when I did 10 and 10 after the original 10, using the same save file...  a real good mix in faces.  Bodies are variable enough in terms of shape, though it seems that proportions are pretty standard.  Not a lot of wide waisted types :)  The men seem to do better with different hair styles.  The women all seem to have base game styles only, which is a little disappointing but not majorly so.  Some of the women can get a bit manish in the face, but that's not a problem as I'm good for a realistic play through and given the circumstances, not too many prom queens are likely to be surviving the wastes!

ScreenShot32.png

ScreenShot33.png

ScreenShot31.png

3 hours ago, Carradon said:

... I can do a 4th complete install again with the double patch selection and see if that brings the names and tats back ...

Fantastic @Carradon, those are definitely improvements on your first (crystalized) screenshots!

The "double patch" is definitely the way to go. It will be interesting to see if messing up the LMCC patch install was also responsible for the naming issue.

In some previous installs i have successfully uninstalled UniqueNPCs 2.1.HOTFIX and UniqueNPCs v.2.0 (in that order) with Nexus Mod Manager, and recommenced the procedure from that point. I can't guarantee that will work for you, but if it is successful it would save having to do a full reinstall. Don't forget you will have to repeat steps 15-17 again after you reinstall UniqueNPCs. Make sure you have your modified "Unique NPCs - Textures01.ba2" file backed up somewhere before you uninstall UniqueNPCs!

Edited by dosfox
3 hours ago, dosfox said:

Fantastic @Carradon, those are definitely improvements on your first (crystalized) screenshots!

The "double patch" is definitely the way to go. It will be interesting to see if messing up the LMCC patch install was also responsible for the naming issue.

In some previous installs i have successfully uninstalled UniqueNPCs 2.1.HOTFIX and UniqueNPCs v.2.0 (in that order) with Nexus Mod Manager, and recommenced the procedure from that point. I can't guarantee that will work for you, but if it is successful it would save having to do a full reinstall. Don't forget you will have to repeat steps 15-17 again after you reinstall UniqueNPCs. Make sure you have your modified "Unique NPCs - Textures01.ba2" file backed up somewhere before you uninstall UniqueNPCs!

I saved the ba2 file when I first created it, so I've been able to use it again and again to save time, though I rebuilt it the 2nd time just to be sure.  sized didn't change from the 1st to the second, so I'm fairly certain it's gtg.

double patch is what i did when I got the clean bodies but experienced the loss of names and tats.  I'll redo the whole thing again, just to be safe... it isn't particular hard, and it'll give me a chance to double check that every selection was correct, just in case there's something earlier in the install that's causing the names and tats to drop off.

I did the full reinstall... I think, but I cannot swear, but I think I may have neglected to actually select bettersettlers.esp on the 2nd part of the 2nd page of the UNPC install in my 4th attempt.  So, choosing the patch option at the end of install 5, but making double sure to get the 2nd page right, I got clean bodies w/ names and tats, but brown face bug returned.  I saved, and reloaded from in game using the console, and the bodies remained clean.  However, upon getting out of the game entirely and reloading from the actual menu, the bodies crystallized.  From this, it appears that the bettersettlers esp is adding in the better body variability, but that in turn is creating the crystallization effect I'm getting, regardless of the patch option being selected for both UNPC and UNPC hotfix.  See screenshots.

I will uncheck UNPC and UNPC hotfix, reinstall both, and go w/ no's across the board again, which I think may have been the mistake in install 4.  If the bodies lose the variability but the crystallization goes away, I'll be able to say definitively that there's something going on inside that one selection that's causing my brown face and crystal people problem.  Not sure where I'll go after that, but at least I'll have cracked the code on what step is causing the issue.  MTF in a few minutes.

ScreenShot35.png

ScreenShot36.png

ScreenShot37.png

ScreenShot34.png

6 hours ago, Carradon said:

...  However, upon getting out of the game entirely and reloading from the actual menu, the bodies crystallized .... 

I'm not sure if this is relevant to your troubles, but i never reload a save inside the vault. If i ever restart the game while still inside the vault i always load the Vault-111 Quickstart savefile. Wait till you leave the vault before you do your first hard save.

Edit:

The OP instructions suggest Vault-111 Quickstart as an option, but it is becoming increasing clear that it is important to completely bypass the pre-war section of the game and perform the procedure just before getting into the elevator to leave the vault. It seems that reloading hard saves in the vault causes problems too, so in the next update i will list Vault-111 Quickstart as a requirement. Thanks again for your detailed feedback @Carradon

Edited by dosfox

Website went down last night as I was posting my final attempt, so I lost my original posting of this message.

I went through two different processes that were identical except for one and only one variable.  When I installed using the bettersettlers.esp on the 1st section, second screen of the UNPC install, I get varied bodies w/ names, tats, but crystallization when the save is opened up again.  This is the same crystallization I rec'd when I departed the vault the first time (unstated previously, but I followed the install process and departed the vault where all the other mods were installed on my first attempt.  I didn't bother to summon npcs my first time... departing Sanctuary Hills the dead raider across the footbridge was crystallized when his remains were picked clean.  Later, I saw examples of purple bodies and others that were crystallized... this is what generated my later research and the review of this convo, where the spanish fellow had been experiencing purple bodies.)

Anyway, I confirmed that during my 4th install I probably accidentally hit next-next-next too many times on my way to the last page of the UNPC install w/ the patch selection.  So on install 5b, I simply chose w/ intent the "no better settlers" to see what would happen.  Upon starting up from the clean save, I saw the clean bodies w/o crystallization, but the loss of tats, increased variability in terms of texture, etc., with no names.  So, obviously, UNPC's better settler's option on the 2nd page of the install is creating the names and texture variability in the NPCs, but at the expense of crystallization.  To restate, the only difference btw my 5a and 5b installs (I've been keeping track of the various efforts by numbering them) was that one selection.  Picking better settlers during UNPC generates good names and variability, but crystal bodies whenever the game is reloaded.  Picking no better settlers generates too clean bodies (uniform textures w/o tats, scars, etc.), no names, but doesn't have the crystallization problems.

I'm not following the point about the clean save.  I'm starting each installation from a save point that was generated using only steam's start up process, without any mods whatsoever.  That save shouldn't be any different than someone else's save, with the exception that I don't have to down it or change the character before leaving the vault, which I understand can cause a different set of bugs to appear.

On the otherhand, perhaps you are saying that I shouldn't reload a modded save inside the vault?  Not sure why that would cause an issue, especially since I saw purple bodies and crystallization before coming here for help ?   But, I'll test that out now, just in case that's what you are saying, but starting again from the clean save, and then departing the vault and generating some npc's outside.  Can't hurt to see what if any affect that has.

Ok, so reinstalled again, using the bettersettlers option on that 2nd page UNPC install... but this time rather than generating NPCs in the vault to do testing, I departed the vault, and generated them outside on top of the vault.  At least the light is better :)  Anyway, generating NPCs got me variable bodies w/ tats and names, and unusually, a female or two w/ underwear on.  Still had brown face, and the males I generated seemed to be all wearing underware for some reason, even though they weren't inside the vault, with their schlongs hanging out, which is a sometimes occurance w/ ghouls.  Quitting and starting again from desktop seemed to work ok, as no crystallization occurred.

So, just in case you are saying that some using a save file which has never had a mod saved in it, but has been opened with a mod in place can somehow get 'corrupted' in some manner, I'm going to try another approach.

I will replay the entire opening scenes again and get myself to just before exiting the vault, with survival mode off so I can save a few files for future testing.  I'll then turn survival on, and create an exit save.  From this exit save, I will then load up mods based on what I think the final solution is re: better settlers, etc.  Essentially a total reinstall of all mods and files, opening from the exit save.  I'll then depart the vault and test on generated NPCs outside the vault.  

I would guess that I'll likely get brown face, but hopefully the rest of the issues will be clean.  If so, I will do a new full reinstall with the HD faces selections made and the supporting mod(s) for that, the ones you noted above, and see if that cleans up the brown faces.  MTF

Something needs to change in this process, at least as far as I can tell.  I started with an entirely new game, going through the entire pregame sequence using unmodded steam start.  I used the options we have set up for the 'revised' process.  Better settlers install to avoid lollygagging and face only esps.  UNPC and UNPC hotfix selections of better settlers.esp, LMCC-UNPC patch, and all others none (I don't used the MM mod).  Didn't do any testing inside the vault to avoid doing anything with the base file.  I had a clean file, another clean file, and then an exit save.  Left vault w/ mods in place on the exit save only.  Created 10 NPCs above ground, in the nice clean light.  Looked good, except for another male w/a bad case of underwear dick, but I'm not worried about that.  Lots of brown face, as expected.  Reloading from inside game, no issues.  Quit game and reloaded the exit save... half a second of clean bodies and then all of them crystallized.  There is clearly something off in that better settlers esp selection on the UNPC install.  I've no idea what it might be, but it certainly seems to be the culprit, at least from my vantage point.

ScreenShot46.png

ScreenShot47.png

@Carradon

So tell me, have you tried doing this using the Vault-111 Quickstart Save FIle? From what i can tell that is the major difference between what you and i are doing.

It is important that the pre-war section of the game is by-passed completely.

Don't start a "New Game", just perform the procedure directly after installing the game and then load the Vault-111 Quickstart Save File to start your game.

If you want to load more mods before you leave the vault, quit without saving, install the mods, and load the Vault-111 Quickstart Save File again to go back into the vault.

(Sorry for the repeated edits, not fully caffeinated yet)

Edited by dosfox
just woke up

I did a new install this morning. This is a complete list and screenshots of the steps i took:

INSTALLATION METHOD

Spoiler

UNINSTALL PREVIOUS FO4 INSTALLATION
Uninstall Fallout4
Uninstall the mod manager.
Delete the User\UserName\Documents\My Games\Fallout 4\ folder
Delete the User\UserName\AppData\Local\Fallout4\ folder

INSTALL FALLOUT 4 v1.10.163

SETUP VAULT-111 QUICKSTART
Copy the Vault-111 Quickstart Savefile to ...\users\username\Documents\My Games\Fallout 4\Saves\ . Don't use it yet, and don't start the game until you have finished installing UniqueNPCs.

INSTALL MOD MANAGER

The latest version of Nexus Mod Manager is highly recommended.

INSTALL F4SE 1.6.21

INSTALL MISCELLANEOUS FILES
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch-4598-2-1-3-1622921619 (Required)

Mod Configuration Menu 1.39-21497-1-39-1575706632 (Required)

Ponytail Hairstyles by Azar v2_5a -BA2 version (Required)

HUDFramework 1.0f-20309-1-0f
DEF_UI
Settlement Keywords Expanded v1.60
Settlement Menu Manager - 0.1.4-24204-0-1-4

INSTALL AWKCR
Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource (AWKCR)

Use these settings:

Spoiler

AWKCR01.jpg

AWKCR02.jpg

INSTALL ARMORSMITH EXTENDED V4.6

If required

INSTALL BODYSLIDE
BodySlide and Outfit Studio

INSTALL LOOKSMENU
LooksMenu v1-6-20-12631-1-6-20-1604483725

INSTALL LMCC
Looks Menu Customization Compendium-24830-v10

INSTALL CBBE
Caliente's Beautiful Bodies Enhancer -CBBE-

Use these settings:

Spoiler

CBBE01.jpg

INSTALL SKELETON
ZaZ - Extended Skeleton-36702-4-0-1606282622

INSTALL BODYTALK v.3.15a

Use these settings:

Spoiler

BT01.jpg
BT02.jpg
BT03.jpg

INSTALL FUSION GIRL v.1.8

Use these settings:

Spoiler

FG01.jpg
FG02.jpg
FG03.jpg

INSTALL OR MAKE REALISTIC PRESETS FOR BODYTALK & FUSION GIRL
I use "Lazmans Curvy Preset for FusionGirl-49873-1-1614826838" for Fusion Girl.
I use the vanilla "Swimmer" preset for Bodytalk.

BUILD BODYTALK AND FUSION GIRL BODIES IN BODYSLIDE

Spoiler

Body-Slide-BT.jpg
Body-Slide-FG.jpg

INSTALL BETTER SETTLERS

Please be careful to choose these settings exactly. Some of them may appear contradictory or wrong, but they are correct for this install.

Use these settings:

Spoiler

BS01.jpg
BS02.jpg
BS03.jpg
BS04.jpg
BS05.jpg

BS06.jpgBS07.jpg

INSTALL MILITARIZED MINUTEMEN

Use these settings:

Spoiler

MM01.jpg

INSTALL UNIQUENPCs & HOTFIX
Unique NPCs v2.0 - An Overhaul of the Commonwealth

Use these settings:

Spoiler

UNPC01.jpg
UNPC02.jpg
UNPC03.jpg
UNPC04.jpg
UNPC05.jpg
UNPC06.jpg

Install the UniqueNPCs v2.1 HotFix as a new separate mod (not an update). Follow exactly the same settings as used for v2.0.

PERFORM STEPS 15-17 FROM THE O.P.
i.e. Set up the Male and Female mesh references and replace the Unique NPCs - Textures01.ba2 file.

LAUNCH THE GAME  WITH THE F4SE LOADER, THEN LOAD THE VAULT-111 QUICKSTART SAVEFILE

Vault-111-Quickstart.jpg

TEST: SPAWN A FEW NPCS

Screen-Shot01.jpg

LEAVE THE VAULT

Dispose of the NPCs you have spawned.

Go to the elevator and set your name & SPECIALs

Leave the vault and do a Hard Save.

INSTALL THE REST OF YOUR MODS

Enjoy the rest of the game with a mob of diverse and interesting NPCs.

easy peasy

also ...

Install Buffout4 and HighFPSPhysicsFix    ?

INSTALL ORDER

Spoiler

Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch-4598-2-1-3-1622921619
HUDFramework 1.0f-20309-1-0f  
DEF_UI
Mod Configuration Menu 1.39-21497-1-39-1575706632
Settlement Keywords Expanded v1.60
Settlement Menu Manager - 0.1.4-24204-0-1-4
Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource (AWKCR)
Armorsmith Extended v4.6-2228-v4-6-1550963207
BodySlide and Outfit Studio
LooksMenu v1-6-20-12631-1-6-20-1604483725
Looks Menu Customization Compendium-24830-v10

Ponytail Hairstyles by Azar v2_5a -BA2 version

Caliente's Beautiful Bodies Enhancer -CBBE-
ZaZ - Extended Skeleton-36702-4-0-1606282622
BodyTalk
FusionGirl
Lazmans Curvy Preset for FusionGirl-49873-1-1614826838
Better Settlers
Militarized Minutemen
Unique NPCs v.2.0 - An Overhaul of the Commonwealth
Unique NPCs  v.2.1 HotFix - An Overhaul of the Commonwealth
Better Console-26582-v1-4-0
Crazy_Multi-Tool - v1.1

LOAD ORDER

Spoiler

Fallout4.esm
DLCRobot.esm
DLCworkshop01.esm
DLCCoast.esm
DLCworkshop02.esm
DLCworkshop03.esm
DLCNukaWorld.esm
HUDFramework.esm
SettlementKeywords.esm
ArmorKeywords.esm
def_inv_scrap_en.esp
SettlementMenuManager.esp
Armorsmith Extended.esp
LooksMenu.esp

AzarPonytailHairstyles.esp
CBBE.esp
FusionGirl.esp
BodyTalk3-LooksMenu.esp

Unique NPCs.esp

BetterSettlers.esp
MilitarizedMinutemen.esp
Crazy_Multi-Tool.esp

ScreenShot7.jpg.4b2f9e71120effc7b5d9cee07ba2972c.jpg

Thanks to @Carradon for help getting this list into order

Edited by dosfox

Well, things just don't seem like they are going to work out with this...

I did as you suggested, completely uninstalling and reinstalling.  FWIW, Azar's ponytails is listed as a requirement for bettersettlers, so I included that in the reinstall.

I went ahead and used the save file you suggested and re-edited the stats and looks.

Loaded up 10 and then another 10.  Brown face.

Saved using console and reloaded from console, everything looked fine.

Saved using exit.  Reloaded from desktop... half a second of clear skins and then they all crystallized.

Load order for plugins is minimalist in the extreme:

*SimpleSurvivalConsole.esp
*Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp
*SettlementMenuManager.esp
*ArmorKeywords.esm
*LooksMenu.esp
*LooksMenu Customization Compendium.esp
*CBBE.esp
*BodyTalk3-LooksMenu.esp
*FusionGirl.esp
*AzarPonytailHairstyles.esp
*Unique NPCs.esp
*BetterSettlers.esp
*Unique NPCs FarHarbor.esp
*LooksMenuCustomizationCompendium-UniqueNPCs_Patch.esp

This just won't work for me.  Perhaps our rigs just don't deal w/ the files in the same way, but they are clean for just half a second and then they are crap.  So I guess I'll just have to follow the base AAF recommendations from 

I really would have liked the additional variability in the settlers, but 4 days of installs leaves me with the impression that, at least for me, we're not going to get to a finalized product, even assuming the brown face issues could be worked out. :(

ScreenShot49.png

ScreenShot50.png

ScreenShot48.png