Trails of Cold Steel 4 (Mod Request)

@amorrow28 Oh sweet! I didn't know the debug room had this function, this will save me a ton of time. Thank you!

@WreckedRonin77 Yes, you can find them in coomi's activity tab: https://www.loverslab.com/profile/8084519-coomi/?tab=activity

Amorrow also published a mod to remove the girl's panties which I recommend:

@pichucandy Sorry to bother you out of nowhere, but since you created the topic do you mind linking the mods on your first post? That way newcomers don't need to sift through 16 pages to find what they want. 

461349924_Emma1.png.a392a89305c0ade1f3d63d6443294eb7.png

Here's a third update for my CS4 skirt delete mod!  I've beaten the game, jumped into the debug room, looked around.  This is a much bigger update than I initially intended, and I hope you enjoy all the stuff (including mods to many more DLC costumes and many more tights deletes).

This mod is also available in .pkg format!  https://www.loverslab.com/topic/166239-trails-of-cold-steel-4-mod-request/?do=findComment&comment=4026587

Version 1.3a HERE with bugfix - https://www.loverslab.com/topic/166239-trails-of-cold-steel-4-mod-request/?do=findComment&comment=3775051

CS4_UnSkirtMod_v1.3_with_3Dmigoto_1_3_16.7z - OBSOLETE

NOTE: PLEASE DELETE THE PRIOR MOD (delete the Mods/UnSkirtMod folder), OR THERE WILL BE ERRORS.  ALSO UPDATE THE NUDE TOWEL MOD IF INSTALLED.

Instructions for compatibility for @S_S_Majin's nude towels mod is included in archive, just follow the included directions (does not come with the mod).  Information on compatibility with @coomi's nude mod:  https://www.loverslab.com/topic/166239-trails-of-cold-steel-4-mod-request/?do=findComment&comment=3832221

I included a save file for NG+ - see the README on how to use; know that it overwrites whatever you have in slot 260.  If you are in the middle of the game and don't want to start over, you can use cheat engine to give yourself costumes.

(BTW This update has been a little more delayed than intended, mostly because I tried to fix some ugly pixel shader issues.  I managed to fix the same issues in CS3 in v1.1a, but unfortunately CS4 refused to be tamed.  So yeah.  The [very minor] problems remain.  This was supposed to be the last release, but it probably isn't.  Also, the Hajimari update is delayed, but coming.  I'm just tired.)

Notes on changes to prior existing skirt deletes:

Elie_options.png.7b814f3b64b20ce43b122545c1bfa5cf.png

There are a fair number of changes to previously modded costumes, and I expect you will like most if not all of the changes.  If you don't, the old files are still there, just go into the directory and replace the files.  There's one that I really like the old length though, so much so that I don't use the new default myself - Elie.  I made the right one default because I felt it matches the spirit of the mod more, but if you'd also like the left one, go into the Elie folder and rename the "Short Dress" folder to "DISABLED Short Dress".  (In fact you can turn off anything you like by slapping a "DISABLED" in front of it...)

If you're wondering why I went back to revise old skirts, it's because @Whayameen threw down some sort of loony gauntlet and I couldn't help myself.  I still don't take requests, but that guy is a legend.

Edited by amorrow28

@amorrow28 I have praised your work, like 20 times this week so this must be getting old but regardless: thank you my friend, your contributions have been invaluable to this community. As far as I'm concerned you're the real legend here. ??

I have taken a peek and already noticed some changes that I didn't even thought about asking. I have a feeling CScreens4 is going to have a lot more images than usual. Maybe I'll just take the Falcom route and separate it into two parts. ? 

On 6/3/2022 at 4:40 AM, amorrow28 said:

Ok, I've updated my model swap injector script, it can now accept command line arguments (very useful for automation) and it can inject into .pkgs with compressed XML files (CS3/CS4)!  I think this going to be the last update for a while, as I finally beat CS4 and I want to focus on my skirt mod update.

Disclaimer: I've written it to be relatively safe and foolproof, but this is trickier than installing 3Dmigoto mods and you could theoretically break your game to the point of needing to reinstall (but that would be hard if you only use my tools).  In Steam, you do not ever need to reinstall because you can go to {right click game name} Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Files and it will fix all your broken files.  I am NOT providing any support for these tools.  I am providing these tools so others can make their own mods to share.  Again, these are tools, not mods.  (BUT!  I will include a sample mod that I made for you to try, so keep reading!)

Instructions:

Hide contents

1. You need to know what models you want to mess with.  Grab my python script that decodes the names table from my github (direct link), and put it in {CS3 / CS4 / Hajimari folder}/data/text/dat_en (or /data/text/dat if using fan translation), and execute it.  It will spit out table.csv, which can be opened in excel or openoffice, etc.

2. Grab extract_pka.py here and aa - inject model.py here, as well as the unpackpkg.py library (the pka and pkg libraries are forked from uyjulian, all credit to them).  Put it into {CS3 / CS4 / Hajimari folder}/data/asset/D3D11.  For CS3/CS4, run extract_pkg.py, press enter (first question asks for pka and defaults to assets.pka), then second question asks which files you need.  If you put in a search term, it will match and grab multiple files (typing in CHR087 is like *CHR087*).  You don't need extract_pka for CLE Hajimari since it's not archived in the first place.  If you download my sample mod below, it comes with these three files already - newest versions always at github.

3. Execute aa - inject model.py.  It asks for the source .pkg, then it asks for the target .pkg.  It will make a backup of the target, and then push the source into the target.  If there is a backup of the source, it will always use the backup to inject.  This means: 1. As long as you only use my tool instead of editing your own files, your original files are safe, 2. You can do easy swaps (inject A->B and then B->A will result in a swap, because it will always use the backup original of B to inject), and 3. You can restore the original model by injecting into itself (inject A->B and then B->B will restore B to original, because again it will always use the backup original of B to inject).  It will never overwrite the first backup, so you can literally do A->B, C->B, D->B, and then B->B and you will still end up with B.

NOTE: The injector expects the target to already exist and will refuse to inject into a new file.  This is for two reasons: 1. so that it can make a backup, and you won't be confused on re-injections, and 2. to prevent confusing you if you make a spelling mistake (since it wouldn't otherwise cause an error).  So in CS3/CS4, extract BOTH source and target, not just source.

4. CS4 will read .pkg files preferentially over the .pka file without further fuss.  CS3 will do so as well, BUT you need to move the files to {CS3 folder}/data/asset/D3D11_us (or at least I did with mine - NIS America Steam release).  My suggestion for CS3 is to move everything over except the .pka file and extract_pka.py.  Keep your backups in D3D11_us as well, and you can inject back and forth.

5. To do whole model swaps, you will need to replace at a minimum columns B,D,E in the excel sheet from step 1.  Maybe other parts too, I haven't fully figured this out.  Be careful, the model parts in column E are often shared.  You may also want to swap the .inf files.

So I've been experimenting.  If you've been following the Hajimari thread where @Switch608 and I have been developing this (understandable if you haven't, plenty of spoilers), we've shown that swapping costumes in Hajimari is pretty trivial as the assets are unpacked and the XML files are uncompressed.  We also swapped a few costumes in CS4.  Here's what I've achieved today!

Moving assets between games:  Here is a costume exclusive to CS4, injected into CS3.  Turns out their formats are identical.

155627686_2022-06-0208_40_54-TheLegendofHeroes-TrailsofColdSteelIII_SteamEnabled_GoGInited.png.419b12ec27218f8a15c00e36c84b142f.png

@Whayameen wanted to see if whole models could be replaced for the a certain scene.  The answer is sort-of yes.  Here you can see a new character in place on stage!  (Mild spoiler)

Reveal hidden contents

416300821_2022-06-0209_04_14-TheLegendofHeroes-TrailsofColdSteelIV_SteamEnabled_GoGInited.png.a6e0e58b1521a6ddc0ca081d54a5a667.png

Unfortunately, the original character has some fancy physics that the new character lacks, I think.  The new character seems pretty content to just stand there and look pretty.  I'm betting there's something else that needs to be injected (or maybe I injected too much?), I don't know what.

Reveal hidden contents

1425023211_2022-06-0209_06_16-TheLegendofHeroes-TrailsofColdSteelIV_SteamEnabled_GoGInited.png.2059d14759b7e65dff7c3556df16478c.png

I also figured out the XML compression issue, allowing default costumes to be changed!  (This was an issue because the filenames were of different length - if you don't know what I'm talking about then don't worry about it.)  Here, you can see I've backported Alisa's bathing costume into CS3.  (Implications... HMM...  I'll wait here while you think about this.)

892457549_2022-06-0211_55_56-TheLegendofHeroes-TrailsofColdSteelIII_SteamEnabled_GoGInited.png.0ea6944c785c7f894037ba125d28dd50.png

Unfortunately the NISA CS3/CS4 assets are compressed with lz4 and the CLE Hajimari assets are compressed with zstandard, so they aren't compatible with each other.  I think I can make a "convertor" by decompressing the files, but the resultant files will be huge unless I can also figure out how to recompress them.  I'm not going to bother for the moment, but maybe I'll come back to it later.  I have no idea what NISA will do with Hajimari, if they'll use lz4 or zstandard or what.  So no nude Elie in CS4 for now, sorry, but I really want to work on my mod for a while.

As promised here is my sample mod for CS4!  It will achieve the exact thing you see in the spoiler-marked images above.  Extract to {STEAM}\The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel IV\data\asset\D3D11 and you'll see two batch files, I promise it's obvious which one injects the mod and which one restores the original configuration.  Just double click and enjoy.

And before you say this mod is mostly useless - I'm aware.  This was a super simple mod designed for folks to see how to make their own!  I'm looking forward to seeing what the community does with this.

I put table_ decode. Py is placed in the hajimari/data/text/dat folder, and no table is generated What's wrong with CSV files?

20 hours ago, Whayameen said:

@amorrow28 I have praised your work, like 20 times this week so this must be getting old but regardless: thank you my friend, your contributions have been invaluable to this community. As far as I'm concerned you're the real legend here. ??

I have taken a peek and already noticed some changes that I didn't even thought about asking. I have a feeling CScreens4 is going to have a lot more images than usual. Maybe I'll just take the Falcom route and separate it into two parts. ? 

Thanks!  I don't think it's possible for receiving praise to get old.  CS4 has been a wild ride, and I'm still buzzing from finishing it.  First, sorry, I NEED to gush about the ending.  (warning I do make a comparison to Sky SC ending)

Spoiler

So I think my opinion is not the popular opinion, but I actually really liked the "normal" ending, for two reasons:

1. I knew going in that it wasn't the true canon ending (I've modded Hajimari after all), so I wasn't going to be upset by what actually happened.  Very different experience from when I finished Sky SC, which I played blind.  I was not ready, although that moment of Estelle and Joshua together as the Ark crumbled was so beautiful.

2. It was the PERFECT mirror to the CS1 ending (with Millium taking Celine's place).  In CS1, Rean is powerless, defeated by Crow, grasping for control of the situation, and his friends sacrifice themselves to save him while he yells "let me stay!!!"  In CS4, he and Valimar choose to go, knowing exactly what awaits, but knowing it has to be done while his friends are the ones screaming for him to stay (and this time Crow comes with him).  (I dunno who made the decision to have Elliot be the one to yell "NOOOOOO" but that tore me to my very soul - Elliot, terminally optimistic and cheerful, Rean's first friend - this was literally his one moment of dramatic anguish, saved for the end.  Brilliant.)

And the true ending!!!!!  It's like Falcom is saying to you, "We know it took you 9 freaking games and probably close to 1000 hours to get here.  You deserve this moment!"  I know everyone who's beaten the game has taken their own screenshot, but I have to share mine:

2075123965_2022-06-0200_28_19-TheLegendofHeroes-TrailsofColdSteelIV_SteamEnabled_GoGInited.png.9b45d9aa0a0bde35009685c4778c2497.png

I understand some folks don't like the whole coming back to life thing but honestly everyone had by this point anyway and I found the moments really powerful, especially Millium.  To think, I found her annoying and kind of pointless in CS1 - how far she's come.  Also, I don't think I really understood her turn at the end of CS3 until now, but just wow - her secret plan to save Altina and Rean at all costs, and how she called Rean before the Gral to tell him she was going to take care of everything...

I've literally been listening to Ai No Uta and Finale -Radiant Hope- on repeat.  I know there's Hajimari (and I'm looking forward to the NISA release - I LOVE the CS dubs), but honestly if Falcom said CS4 was the end forever I would've been just fine.

Ok, enough of that.  Version 1.3 is a big jump - @Whayameen take your time to enjoy!  No pressure on taking screenshots, we're not going anywhere.  I was just looking, v1.2 was 45.6 mb and 1139 files, v1.3 is 72.2 mb and 1548 files (mod folder only)!  For whoever is interested, I wanted to point out a few things though.

1. I think I managed to do most things on the list (it was not my intention but I did a few and just kept going).  If it's not done at this point, it really is because it can't be.  Most of the changes are default, but Towa's complete skirt delete isn't due to model gap.  I did make one I'm mostly happy with, I left a few polygons in a strategic place to minimize the effect so I think it's useable.  Using the shorter version is the same process as Rixia's wedding dress, just move the .ini file into the option folder.

1091971209_2022-06-0411_44_29-Window.png.0908fd12ee79af21518dc84c55e0b452.png

2. I actually lengthened Tita's (default costume) coat by one panel.  When I did her Sky outfit, I found I had to use a longer coat because her lower mesh is actually missing the upper edge for some reason, but I found I really liked the look of the coat being longer than the shirt - it looked very natural.  For those of you who like the shorter default coat from prior versions, same process as #1, just move the .ini file.  Assuming you even noticed, haha.

3. I redid the "shirt" outfit for Altina and Tita in Blender.  I didn't like how the simple "handling = skip method" deleted their hair accessories.  I'm sure it's been driving you all crazy too, haha.  ;)

TitaComparison.png.7860770b8d9bb7f67221829f3a7e84f6.png

4. Two things for Roselia.  A. Mature Roselia has a weird piece of cloth in front of her thighs, it can't be helped because for some reason they put this stupid piece of invisible fringe that's borrowed from normal Roselia (sharing hash) and I need that fringe to make normal Roselia work.  The only fix is to have mature Roselia have a long skirt, which is no fun.  If the cloth bothers you, change "RoseliaMature" to "DISABLED RoseliaMature".  B.  I did delete Roselia's tights, but I dunno...  she kind of looked better with them and that crazy naughty underwear.  I couldn't salvage them, the tights were drawn over them.  Again, just put DISABLED in front of "RoseliaTightsDelete.ini" if you like.

5. The appearance of costumes in the costume menu is a huge mixed bag.  Some shaders in there REALLY misbehave in game so I can't make all the costume mods appear in the menu.  I thought about completely disabling custom appearances in there entirely but figured that was overkill.  (Ugh PIXEL SHADERS they drive me crazy!  It's why my Angelica mod looks so bad - I almost deleted it but decided the end user could make the decision.)

1179638055_2022-06-0416_27_58-TheLegendofHeroes-TrailsofColdSteelIV_SteamEnabled_GoGInited.png.93f941ef5c35953765a3c5e811e1a639.png

6. I did in the end replicate some mods done before like Juna's Casuals - mods done previously by manipulating alpha channels but mine are done in Blender.  Juna's Casuals are pretty much the same, but Emma's magical outfit I realized I could push further so I did:

EmmaComparison.png.d4aebe7182dabcbacb52cf814a2d9980.png

Honestly I like TSV's better, but once I uncovered that backside...  well I couldn't undo THAT in good conscience.  But, like everything else on this list, just disable the correct files, and you'll get the other option.

The downside to such an expansive update is that it's just plain intimidating to have to port the whole thing to Hajimari now.  CS3 was easy, very few of the updates were compatible with it.  Plus, my attention has been distracted with this crazy asset swap experiment we have going on.  Remember this scene from CS3?  Probably not like this you don't...

805253915_2022-06-0415_34_55-TheLegendofHeroes-TrailsofColdSteelIII_SteamEnabled_GoGInited.png.60e5c92f57405cf3070b1b7737a895ad.png

7 hours ago, SirDoge said:

Don't know if this is the right place to ask,but any thoughts on making something similar for Tokyo Xanadu Ex ? It seems to be using the same engine as the Trails games,also features the obligatory japanese bathhouse scene.

not the same engine no, also sure has a bath scene but they are not wearable.

Sigh.  Small update, I caught a bug while preparing the Hajimari update, I assumed that the texture map for the two Rose models were identical and they are not.  This only affects tall Roselia, but in the interest of completion here is version 1.3a.  If you're updating from 1.3, you don't need to delete anything (it will automatically overwrite the 1 file changed).  If you're updating from older than 1.3, you do need to delete the old UnSkirtMod folder first.

This mod is also available in .pkg format!  https://www.loverslab.com/topic/166239-trails-of-cold-steel-4-mod-request/?do=findComment&comment=4026587

CS4_UnSkirtMod_v1.3a_with_3Dmigoto_1_3_16.7z

You can see how her shoulders and chest now have proper texture.  (Ignore the random motes of light, that's from the scene, not the model)

rosefix.png.a22c61a1ad4f1716d53c82af0d44d945.png

As always, info on using the nude mod with my mod here: 

Enjoy!

Edited by amorrow28
7 hours ago, SirDoge said:

Don't know if this is the right place to ask,but any thoughts on making something similar for Tokyo Xanadu Ex ? It seems to be using the same engine as the Trails games,also features the obligatory japanese bathhouse scene.

Yeah there's no costume option in Xanadu, pretty sure. There's also the fact that the models are vita-quality, like CS1 and 2 so there's probably less interest.

56 minutes ago, SirDoge said:

Well that sucks,was hoping it's possible.Oh well,thank you all for answering.

If it's DirectX 11, 3Dmigoto will work with it.  I found a config of 3Dmigoto for it here which tells me it's very likely modifiable using the techniques we've been using for CS3 / CS4 / Hajimari.  I've posted quite a few tutorials scattered throughout this thread to get you started.

It seems that all cold steel share the PhyreEngine which is a a free to use engine that is dated back to 2008. why cold steel 1 and 2 look so terrible even though they share the same engine? i don't know most likely Falcom incompetence, regardless even Xanadu is using Phyre but like amorrow28 said it's more about DirectX 11 than the engine.

8 hours ago, PepeLordd said:

It seems that all cold steel share the PhyreEngine which is a a free to use engine that is dated back to 2008. why cold steel 1 and 2 look so terrible even though they share the same engine? i don't know most likely Falcom incompetence, regardless even Xanadu is using Phyre but like amorrow28 said it's more about DirectX 11 than the engine.

Because they came out for the Vita.

2 hours ago, Switch608 said:

Since you know PhyreEngine, do you know of any tools for unpacking and packing .dae.Phyre and .dds.Phyre files? 
I only found tools to unpack .dds.Phyre files on xentax, no tools to pack .dds.Phyre files,and no tools to unpack and pack .dae.Phyre files.
If we have these tools, with @amorrow28's tools, we can directly edit the .pkg file to make mods, instead of using 3dmigoto.

i think tools for the dds exist but you need to search the final fantasy x/x-2 discord since they did some research on them there, there is also a tool for the dae files but it's not public unfortunately.

1 hour ago, SonicMan1234 said:

Because they came out for the Vita.

yeah? xanadu too came out for the vita but looks so much better than the first two cold steel games and don't forget that it came out on the PS3 too and that version looks as bad as the vita version.

1 hour ago, PepeLordd said:

yeah? xanadu too came out for the vita but looks so much better than the first two cold steel games and don't forget that it came out on the PS3 too and that version looks as bad as the vita version.

They're the same type of models.  Towa is literally the same. She has the same face in both games. There are tons of reused textures and items too, not surprising considering Tokyo Xanadu was cobbled together in like 13 months from pre-existing assets. Also, CS1 and CS2 were on PS3 at launch as well. That means literally nothing. If it had a Vita version at launch, which TX did, the graphics were made to Vita standard. TX is a Vita game. The ex version has more content but it's not like it magically makes the graphics better. It had better performance and that's it. That doesn't improve the models.

(warning: philosophical rant) I humbly suggest we don't conflate interest with audience.  Game devs must consider their audience, because they need to make money to pay their staff.  Us lowly modders though, we can't really expect much of any pay; we mod out of interest - which isn't the same thing.  I didn't do my mod for anyone on this forum (although clearly I love to share), I did it because I could and because it made my gaming experience more fun.  I suspect the same goes for all the other modders here.

So don't worry about the audience.  The question, @SirDoge, is do YOU have interest?  Because there's literally nothing stopping you from taking my install of 3Dmigoto, copying the files into the Tokyo Xanadu folder (minus the mod folder, no point in that - just the base files and the shaderfixes folder), and seeing if it loads.  Then follow my tutorial and delete a skirt or two for funsies.  I've said before in this thread that ambition can crush enthusiasm, and I hold to that.  Just start.

And if you do, I hope you share!  Turns out that I had an audience after all, even if I only did this out of interest.  And it didn't take much - my first upload was ONE skirt delete (Alisa's default costume) - and it says it's been downloaded 62 times (so far), nearly as many downloads as my most recent upload (Hajimari v1.2, currently at 85 downloads).

(Oh, and of course, don't ask me to do it, I don't take requests... and I'm totally burned out anyway, it was a hell of a push to finish the CS4 mod and now I'm literally here just for the screenshots.)  ?

2 hours ago, undeadclown99 said:

They're the same type of models.  Towa is literally the same. She has the same face in both games. There are tons of reused textures and items too, not surprising considering Tokyo Xanadu was cobbled together in like 13 months from pre-existing assets. Also, CS1 and CS2 were on PS3 at launch as well. That means literally nothing. If it had a Vita version at launch, which TX did, the graphics were made to Vita standard. TX is a Vita game. The ex version has more content but it's not like it magically makes the graphics better. It had better performance and that's it. That doesn't improve the models.

you got mixed up with what I've said, Towa is higher poly in xanadu than in cold steel 1 and 2 and if you really think they look the same go get your eyes checked. also what's your source on the 13 months claim? and what i meant was that cold steel 1 and 2 were on PS3 not xanadu mate and it means plenty. if it was a handheld only game it would explain low poly graphics but no it's a PS3 game that looks like a early PS2 game. even some PSP games look better than it did. also i didn't mention eX+ so don't try to add to your argument stuff that i didn't mention alright mate?

Edited by PepeLordd
6 hours ago, Switch608 said:

Since you know PhyreEngine, do you know of any tools for unpacking and packing .dae.Phyre and .dds.Phyre files? 
I only found tools to unpack .dds.Phyre files on xentax, no tools to pack .dds.Phyre files,and no tools to unpack and pack .dae.Phyre files.
If we have these tools, with @amorrow28's tools, we can directly edit the .pkg file to make mods, instead of using 3dmigoto.

First I wanted to point out what you might already know, but the unpackpkg.py library that some of my tools depends on can be run directly from the command line, and it will decompress any .pkg file into the individual files.  I tested it on CS4 archives anyway, and it works as advertised.

I would think the easiest way to manipulate those files would be to get the Phyre engine (which is free, although Sony wants your business plan so uh, that's a barrier).  Any PS4 devs around that would be willing to help?  ?

I think the guy to watch is Julian Uy on github; my tools are completely dependent on his libraries and he is VERY prolific on github, at nearly 300 repositories.  (In fact, my unpackpkg.py is literally his code with 1 added line so that it can be successfully used with my code.)  And no joke, he started a new repository just two days ago called falcom-dumps that is currently empty with a readme saying it's a placeholder for things to come.

3 hours ago, PepeLordd said:

you got mixed up with what I've said, Towa is higher poly in xanadu than in cold steel 1 and 2 and if you really think they look the same go get your eyes checked. also what's your source on the 13 months claim? and what i meant was that cold steel 1 and 2 were on PS3 not xanadu mate and it means plenty. if it was a handheld only game it would explain low poly graphics but no it's a PS3 game that looks like a early PS2 game. even some PSP games look better than it did. also i didn't mention eX+ so don't try to add to your argument stuff that i didn't mention alright mate?

You don't seem to be getting this. If the game was on the Vita then that's it. Vita is the graphical cap. Yes they were put on other systems, that doesn't matter at all. Vita is still the graphical cap. The models are the same in every version because they were made for the Vita. Tokyo Xanadu and Cold Steel were both vita games, thus they look like Vita games. The model quality is almost the same. TX used a ton of assets from Cold Steel. Falcom reuses assets all the time to keep up with their massive crunch schedule and TX is very clearly built from a lot of those parts, from textures to animations.

TowaSwimsuit.png

TowaHair.png

26 minutes ago, undeadclown99 said:

You don't seem to be getting this. If the game was on the Vita then that's it. Vita is the graphical cap. Yes they were put on other systems, that doesn't matter at all. Vita is still the graphical cap. The models are the same in every version because they were made for the Vita. Tokyo Xanadu and Cold Steel were both vita games, thus they look like Vita games. The model quality is almost the same. TX used a ton of assets from Cold Steel. Falcom reuses assets all the time to keep up with their massive crunch schedule and TX is very clearly built from a lot of those parts, from textures to animations.

TowaSwimsuit.png

TowaHair.png

Wait, Towa best girl is in this game??! ?

I wouldn’t call those re-used assets though… if it’s reused then some serious re-work went into it. I thought you were talking about reuse like how they stuck Duvalie’s head on Musse’s CS4 DLC swimsuit (body and all) in Hajimari… now that’s reuse. This I guess I would call - adapted?

Not that reuse bothers me. One of my favorite series of games is Atelier, that’s some serious asset reuse right there though.

3 hours ago, Switch608 said:

Thank you for the information. I'll be checking it out.

I'm more interested in getting a tool that I can use than going to work on the game engine.?

After all, I'm not a programmer, @amorrow28, and researching code is harder for me than you might think.?

I hear you, but I don't know if there's a good solution other than using the tools that come with the game engine.  Also, I don't mean to say we'd be engine programming; my hope is that the engine comes with simple utilities to pack and unpack files.

I found a tool that extracts objects out of the .dae.phyre and .dds.phyre files and is actually very easy to use.  Ironically, given the rather heated discussion here, it was developed for Tokyo Xanadu eX+ haha.  I've tested on CS3 and Hajimari though and it works perfectly fine for both.  I suspect CS4 works too, but I'm too lazy to check.  It's here:

https://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?t=17859

Use extract_pka.py to get the .pkg file you want out of assets.pka (if CS3/CS4), then use unpackpkg.py to extract all the phyre files from inside the pkg.

extract_pka.py assets.pka C_CHR001.pkg
unpackpkg.py C_CHR001.pkg

Then Use the Xanadu Viewer (File -> Open Folder) and select the folder you just created (in my example above, {game}/data/asset/D3D11/C_CHR001.pkg__ folder.

321203304_2022-06-0621_34_11-ViewModel.png.c563fd7d362fbc961a2ce451808d221d.png

From here you can save the mesh as an .obj file, which it seems you can import right into Blender.

1983289062_2022-06-0621_56_36-Blender.png.1ddfa231a77019761d1b78b93f98e457.png

The issue I've found is that while tools are available to extract objects, I haven't seen any tools that can repack them.  I don't see how this will be any better than 3DMigoto if we still end up modding by injection...  3DMigoto already extracts meshes very capably by dumping buffers.  This might help with modding some of the more difficult meshes since I think it can get bones though.  Also it's pretty nice to import an entire model at once, instead of a giant dump of meshes.

I did find this thread where the author talks about packing collada files (.dae) back into .dae.phyre files, but he uses the Phyre Engine SDK to do it.  Blender can export models to collada .dae, so I think we'd be stuck at the last step without the propietary tools from Sony.

Still, if you can figure this out, I'm sure there will be very many happy nintendo switch owners since I believe the file format is the same for them and they can use layeredFS to apply new .pkg files.  Plus, I have to say I feel pretty accomplished getting a model from assets.pka into Blender (especially since I contributed code to the tools I used).  I just don't know what to do with this.