Certain Blender edits creating seams

Hey so for the first time I'm trying to convert an entire armor replacer to a different body size and so far I've been able to figure things out through guides, videos, and mainly trial and error, lots and lots of trial and error.

Right now I'm stuck on blender. I'm trying to manually edit the armors in blender after running them through the clothing converter to fix the clipping and so far I've been able to edit the armor meshes and export them without issue but if I try to edit the body, like deleting the nipples so they dont poke through the top, it causes these hideous seams:

Spoiler

1.png.3c337e69a50af0b8905f08075ba109de.png

I'm using Blender 2.49b from the Nexus and the default export settings:

Spoiler

2.png.a40d02c3a8e15b1cba44383a25c9dbe7.png

I know its ridiculous but seams (and the body size not being consistent across the armors) drive me insane, which is literally why I'm learning how to do all this so I can make the perfect seamless, consistent armor/clothes. Is there a way to do these edits without creating seams?

10 hours ago, rookie189 said:

Hey so for the first time I'm trying to convert an entire armor replacer to a different body size and so far I've been able to figure things out through guides, videos, and mainly trial and error, lots and lots of trial and error.

Right now I'm stuck on blender. I'm trying to manually edit the armors in blender after running them through the clothing converter to fix the clipping and so far I've been able to edit the armor meshes and export them without issue but if I try to edit the body, like deleting the nipples so they dont poke through the top, it causes these hideous seams:

Hide contents

1.png.3c337e69a50af0b8905f08075ba109de.png

I'm using Blender 2.49b from the Nexus and the default export settings:

Hide contents

2.png.a40d02c3a8e15b1cba44383a25c9dbe7.png

I know its ridiculous but seams (and the body size not being consistent across the armors) drive me insane, which is literally why I'm learning how to do all this so I can make the perfect seamless, consistent armor/clothes. Is there a way to do these edits without creating seams?

If the models are the same (with the same vertex coordinates - bottom and top), then these are multidirectional normals. They need to be co-corrected, I do not know how this is done in Blender, but in 3dsmax I did it through the modifier edits normals (manually, copy-paste)

DgONSoHXkAAYmlI.jpg

In general, the Algorithm is as follows - look at any (vert seam) coordinate of the upper body - x, y, z, remember, and then, if the coordinate of the vertex of the lower body is x, y, z, if they are the same, then you will have to edit only the normals, if different, you will have to edit the coordinates first (at top or bottom coord), and then also the normals.

Naturally, the skin modifier flies when editing geometry or normals, it must be reapplied (copy, in 3dsmax - skin-wrap modifier)

(the seams on the neck, I don't know how to edit, there is still the influence of morphs. )

4 hours ago, gregathit said:

There was a seam mender you can use to fix these.

I had to play around with the settings some but that worked perfectly! As far as I can tell that cleared up all the seams and color distortions, even the massive lower back ones.

I only have one more issue, I'm not sure whats causing it but I've been playing with blender all afternoon trying to solve the seam issue and noticed any time I run a .nif through blender, no matter the settings, even if I JUST import and then export it, no editing, it's making this weird sheen just on top of the shoulders:

Spoiler

3.png.48653586748dfd44dd680f71f33e1e1d.png

I simplified it trying to find the seam problem and am just using the exact same femaleupperbody.nif, in place of armor, as the base body, the only difference between the two pictures is the bottom one has been imported and exported from blender, NO editing.

The seam reducer fixed everything else but for some reason not this. Any idea what might be causing it?

Ok so being completely new to this I had just brushed off "bone weighting" as something to advanced for me and had ignored that part of Myst42's guide completely but it just occurred to me the other day that the bone weight difference between the body and armor was probably what was causing most of the clipping since the armor I'm trying to change was designed for a smaller body.

I started over again and instead of trying to stretch the armor away from the body or delete parts of the body to reduce clipping I instead just copied the body's bone weights to the armor and boom, literally just like that it removed the clipping entirely!

So since I didint need to edit the body, just the edited armor, after exporting it I just opened it in Nifskope and replaced the body mesh with a fresh one and that cleared up all the seams and color distortions blender was creating when exporting.

And viola, a converted piece of armor, perfectly seamless and with zero clipping. I'm actually in awe at how easy it was, now that I kind of know what I'm doing the whole process can be done in 3 minutes thanks to the guides and Gerra6's tools.

In case anyone reading this is having similar issues, these are the exact steps I took to convert the entire outfit without seams or clipping:

1. Make a lattice and run the outfit through Gerra6's Clothing Converter

2. Open the converted outfit in Nifskope and delete the body and replace it with a fresh one (not actually sure if this step is necessary)

3. Open the converted and Nifskoped outfit in Blender and copy the body's bone weights to the armor and export

4. Open the exported armor and a fresh copy of your body in 2 windows of Nifskope and copy the armor to the body and save. (The armor to the body, not the other way around. Copying the body to the armor was making pixel size distortions to the body mesh for me for some reason.)

Did you try changing the export settings at all?

Sometimes the default is not always the best, but I am going to qualify this by saying I have not done any mesh editing in Oblivion so take with a grain of salt, all my experience in  Blender 2.49 is with Fallout 3/NV and nif scripts 2.5.9.

Did you try toggling off "Smoothin Inter-Object Seams"? Seems like a direct possible cause, if I remember correctly for Fallout 3 this off by default.

Also I would toggle off the "Combine Materials to Increase Performance" option as this will prevent you from having different alpha settings on each node within a mesh. For instance if you change the alpha property to 4844 it will change it for all nodes that have the alpha property as an example. This is why there is a "split properties" as well as the "combine properties" option in nifskope.

When exporting meshes that contains both armor and the body Blender nif scripts can only export one shader type at a time so if you chose the "default" or "cloth" shader for the armor the body would also get those shader settings and you would have to reset it to the proper shader settings for "skin" or as you have done replace the body with a fresh one but at some point you will have to make a partial cutaway body to fix some clipping so fixing the shaders after export is usually necessary.

For the weird sheen I have fixed this sometimes using nifskope > spells > batch > update all tangent spaces, does not always work but sometimes it does so worth a try.

My point is don't be afraid to change some settings and test your exports again, not saying it will fix the seams but I would try it because its a simple test. The seams could also be caused or amplified by wrong shader settings.

And ya Gerra has some awesome tools, his T-Pose converter was invaluable, his site below.

https://kgtools.wordpress.com/clothing-converter/

Anyways hope some of this helps if even in a small way, I have learned a tremendous amount from others on LL, have fun.