Hi (hopefully moderators), ?

I would like to make BodySlide conversions and maybe use in a quest mod some of @turbosnowy's contents for Skyrim.

I couldn't find any indication about permissions from the author on any of their mod pages and I won't be able to contact them, as they were last active in 2018.

My question is: what's the site policy about permissions related to abandoned mods? 

Thanks in advance

?

No permission, no original assets.

Make your assets plug in where whatever you're going to replace would be placed, require all other original materials and assets.

If all you're doing is bodysliding a preexistant asset to current conformation and you get spanked for it, welp that's directly on you.

5 hours ago, Racoonity, Serah said:

permissions from the author

I have done TS3 mods, but I would say for dead mods, and using what others have made in general, it seems this site is okay as long as the mod is not a pay site mod being pirate uploaded. That's the first thing. The mod creator doesn't say not to use their stuff... but that is a gray area. Not sure about Skyrim, but technically, EA owns the rights to anything made using their meshes or code, so... gray. But, when it's gray, I make sure to give credit to the original mod and mod creator on the page, and sometimes in the name of my mod. Also, to provide a link to the original if possible. If the original mod creator hasn't been here in 3 years, he or she probably won't care. That no moderator has bothered to say no, they probably don't care either. To be safe, a quick check of the site TOS might be a good idea also. )

As mentioned it is a grey area.  3 years is clearly dead.  It would be best to create a patch and require the download of the original mod, with the caveat that if the mod maker does return and demands removal, that you would comply.  If you have further questions, shoot me or one of the other moderators a PM.  We tend to look at this on a case by case basis rather than a site wide policy.  Ashal of course has the final say.

While it's preferred you just require the original and create a patch to avoid any possible troubles as @gregathit mentions, it's also understandable that there are scenarios where that isn't reasonable.

As long as you've put in an honest effort to contact the original author for permission and it's pretty damn clear that after a week of no reply and them not having logged on for a long time, I don't think anybody is really going to argue against somebody just picking up the abandoned mod for themselves so long as the original author remains credited. However, if the author suddenly shows up one day saying they didn't approve it, we will side with them.

Basically the original author will always have the final say on what's allowed with their mod. But so long as effort has been put in to get their permission and they were unresponsive, than we generally have no problem with somebody picking up the development.

Thank you everyone for your answers! ?

Me and the other author of our quest mod, @Prime66, will discuss about the information you gave us.

6 hours ago, gregathit said:

If you have further questions, shoot me or one of the other moderators a PM.  We tend to look at this on a case by case basis rather than a site wide policy. 

I'd like to keep it public, so anyone with a similar case will be able to read it here, but thank you. ?

For the BodySlide conversion, there's no problem for me about what you all suggested: I'll make some parts of the original mods required and credit the author, as I always do for all my conversions. ?

As for the quest mod, the original meshes won't be needed, as I'll make bodyslides;

we might change some textures to fit in with the theme of the mod, so we'd rather not tell users they need to download the missing ones from another mod page;

we'd also like not to make a requirement of the original ESP, since we might edit some records and one less ESP in Skyrim's load order is always a good thing. ?

All this being said, do you think it would be fine if we only credited @turbosnowy for their work on our mod page?

(We're talking about their Skyrim outfits, of course)

I also wrote them a PM already, so they will be informed, if they'll ever come back. ?

PS: It would be fine for me to remove @turbosnowy's armors from the mod, in case they told us to, but I'm still waiting for @Prime66's opinion, so all this is just an hypothesis.

3 hours ago, Ashal said:

Basically the original author will always have the final say on what's allowed with their mod. But so long as effort has been put in to get their permission and they were unresponsive, than we generally have no problem with somebody picking up the development.

Oh, sorry, I missed this. ?

I understood, thank you. ?

11 hours ago, Racoonity, Serah said:

I think it's a graey area ??

English is my third language, but I do know it is "I" before "E" except after "C"! ? Unless you are in Australia, because they are upside down and the toilet spins reversed!

5 minutes ago, LadySmoks said:

English is my third language, but I do know it is "I" before "E" except after "C"! ? Unless you are in Australia, because they are upside down and the toilet spins reversed!

Or unless you are in ancient Rome, because "ae" in Latin sounds like "a" in "gray" and "e" in "grey". ?‍? ?

4 hours ago, Racoonity, Serah said:

Or unless you are in ancient Rome, because "ae" in Latin sounds like "a" in "gray" and "e" in "grey".

Or unless you grew up in Eastern Ukraine where we learned 2 alphabets and neither look like the one I use most now. )))