Fallout 4 location? Maybe the Everglades?

I was talking to some of my gaming professors and a lot of them seem to think that while a trend this last generation has been post civilization Fallout, that the next gen trend would be nature retaking the ruins...

The original idea for Fallout Tactics 2 was to set it in the everglades... Basically the swamp had become irradiated with carnivorous plants and giant gators.

I wonder if Bethesda will set it there? Another place would be the common wealth, the ruins of Massachusetts where the android in FO3 was from. Bethesda made a quote a while back about the Mojave Wasteland but I hope they go somewhere new. The core region has been way overdone.

I think Florida would be a really great place to set it, and there is a lot of concept art from Fallout Tactics 2 they could draw upon.

Here is the gator from FOT2
[spoiler=Fallout Tactics 2]

Croc2.jpg

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Tactics_2

Well, Beth isn't so keen on using pre-existing design docs. I think they've stated somewhere in the past they rather do their "own thing". :(

For what it's worth, I don't think that is as bad as some people make it ought to be, but they certainly have a lot of catching up to do in terms of character design, dialogue, basically the whole writing. IMO, they are untouchable in terms of world design. I'm talking about those moments of discovery and "what's behind the next hill" moments and freedom in what you choose to do next.

My bet for the next location will be Boston/MIT/Commonwealth. Although it would be very similar to the capital wasteland, I believe. Something like Florida would certainly be a cool idea, though. 

I'd honestly want them to think out the gameplay way more for sure.

Especially weapon interactivity. A lot of things seemed kind of missing in the past modern fallout games ( FO3, FONV )

There needs to be a dedicated melee button, maybe a kick as well. Certain weapons can get bayonets to be used with the melee ,etc.

Also more positions. Ability to go prone, peak around corners.

Melee weapon variety would be nice as well, instead of just one handed knives/shortswords and big clubs/swordsthewieldlikeclubs. Make more weapon classes essentially, so that they're differentiated by type and function and as well separate animation sets for them.

I don't really care where its set, so long as its explorable, and as aforementioned, has a solid story (doubt that'll ever happen) and improved gameplay. The gamebryo engine is really showing its age. We need vehicles, better character animation and movements, things like that, basically what Cezul said.

I don't really care where its set, so long as its explorable, and as aforementioned, has a solid story (doubt that'll ever happen) and improved gameplay. The gamebryo engine is really showing its age. We need vehicles, better character animation and movements, things like that, basically what Cezul said.

No vehicles , never !!!!

No vehicles , never !!!!

Please, FO2 and FOT has vehicles. The Fallout world basically makes zero sense without them lol

No vehicles , never !!!!

Please, FO2 and FOT has vehicles. The Fallout world basically makes zero sense without them lol

I would like to take another spin behind the wheel of a Chrysalis Motors Highwayman

I think one of the great thing about the Fallout Universe is its segregation.

Each region of the USA (and possibly the world) is separated from each other, allowing vastly different cultures and creatures to pop up depending on the surroundings. You can really get creative with world design in Fallout by thinking about how this area might have been affected by the bombs and FEV.

I was just talking to a friend of mine earlier yesterday morning and I said I think it would be cool for a Fallout game, next or sometime in the future, work up to the point where it all went bad. I admit I don't know the history the games are built on, but I think some massive world war would be cool to play in and at the end of the game the nuke hits and leaves everything nearly destroyed. Narration could then talk about how settles everywhere either tried to keep going or simply moved on with others into hiding or starting new civilizations and some started clans/tribes/armies.

He also mentioned he would love either a prequel to Dead Money or a game that was based entirely in that "world."

I was just talking to a friend of mine earlier yesterday morning and I said I think it would be cool for a Fallout game, next or sometime in the future, work up to the point where it all went bad. I admit I don't know the history the games are built on, but I think some massive world war would be cool to play in and at the end of the game the nuke hits and leaves everything nearly destroyed. Narration could then talk about how settles everywhere either tried to keep going or simply moved on with others into hiding or starting new civilizations and some started clans/tribes/armies.

He also mentioned he would love either a prequel to Dead Money or a game that was based entirely in that "world."

The background story of the Fallout setting

What I would quite like was a game set maybe 5-20 years after the war. I that's a scenario Bethesda could definitely nail, FO3 was practically that, and they did a splendid job with it. Not to mention, it would be a REAL gritty and tooth and nail sort of atmosphere. It would have to be incredibly dark though, like The Road dark, and I have my doubts Beth's writing would be up to the task. 

The rad meter would go crazy, wouldn't it.
I do agree that with FNV we've hit a limit of civilization rebuilding itself out west - NCR spreading out etc. Which is why I'd welcome more Midwest or Deep South stuff, places where life can still be a bit rougher.

What I would quite like was a game set maybe 5-20 years after the war. I that's a scenario Bethesda could definitely nail, FO3 was practically that, and they did a splendid job with it. Not to mention, it would be a REAL gritty and tooth and nail sort of atmosphere. It would have to be incredibly dark though, like The Road dark, and I have my doubts Beth's writing would be up to the task. 

I don't know about this. Fallout 1 was about 80 years after the war if a I remember right, and at the point there were only a few very small settlements. 20 years would basically just be caravans. It would be pretty cool I think to set it around the time that Harold and the man who would become the Mutant Master (forget his name) were traveling together. That was about 30 years before Fallout if I recall, and about 50 years after the bombs, but any earlier than that and I would doubt there would be any settlements at all, and thus very little to do in an RPG system.

Fallout 2 was set (I believe) about 170 years after the war, and they were JUST THEN developing large settlements like the NCR.

I do agree that with FNV we've hit a limit of civilization rebuilding itself out west - NCR spreading out etc. Which is why I'd welcome more Midwest or Deep South stuff, places where life can still be a bit rougher.

Midwest is gone, most of it anyway. In Fallout 2 Cassidy talks about how the area of America known as Tornado alley (Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas etc) is unlivable due to giant cyclones constantly raging.

Also there is a lot of opposition to NCRs expansion. Most if not all of the civilizations NCR has anexed have had very small amounts of territory. (Vault City, New Reno, Arroyo, Hub, Junktown, and New Vegas are all essentially city states.) Getting through Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico is going to involve war with Caesar Legion, a faction with as much if not more territory than the NCR.

Going through the Dakotas and the northern border could be an option for NCR I suppose... but sending their armies north would invite the Legion to assault California and Nevada while their forces are divided. One way or another the NCR and the Legion are going to have to duke it out until one is left standing, and this would be a long conflict. The east will not be threatened by the NCR for some time.

The background story of the Fallout setting

Thanks. I'm going to read this later on when Insomnia is at it's worse for me. lol

No vehicles , never !!!!

I'm not overly interested in vehicles, though the idea of a car that needed parts & fuel for fast travel reduction time with a boot to keep stuff makes sense. A motorcycle or horse would be great, more likely a horse in New Vegas.

No vehicles , never !!!!

I'm not overly interested in vehicles, though the idea of a car that needed parts & fuel for fast travel reduction time with a boot to keep stuff makes sense. A motorcycle or horse would be great, more likely a horse in New Vegas.

I agree with that. Sometimes though I wish there was like a four wheeler or something to hop on and ride. Like something that is completely made from scrap and random car parts. Yet I think it would be too much like the game RAGE. Not that I don't like that game, I just didn't like all the random vehicles you could use.

Tactics is considered cannon, and according to Tactics the midwest is perfectly livable if a bit chaotic.

I was mistaken on what the midwest was I guess. I thought the midwest was more like Texas, Wyoming, Kansas, and Oklahoma area.

I agree, it could be more challenging. Deeper relationships and factions interactions can make the difference on surviving or not.

Nobody thinks of somewhere in Canada. Canada was annexed before the war. Maybe Qubec or some other location like that in Canada. Not as irradiated but still massively damaged and social and governmental structures gone. Other locations like Washington State, Nevada and some places in the mid-west that can be used as well. Wouldn't be as hard hit but damaged enough that can make it tough to survive.

I'm hoping for a return to a cityscape. I like the landscape of FO3 better than what FO:NV used. Especially the idea of one that was in the North East and that touched on more of the Canadian Commonwealth that was referenced.

Or perhaps something around the Great Lakes area - Detroit could provide a ruined industrial landscape with Canada a stone's throw away, or Cleveland which would keep Canada at arms length, with large tracts of flat land to the south littered with small towns, or Buffalo could provide an interesting mix of city, Niagara Falls, Canada, and the Appalachian Mountains.

Well I am fairly certain that Fallout 4 will be in the North East, and around DC. Due to the whole VA for Three Dog said more three dog was coming. I hope we get to see another city, but a mix of city and country side. Because I liked how you could wander the wasteland or DC ruins in Fallout 3. Plus going through subways was quite fun.

Think the main thing I would like to see is them make the world bigger, because if their trend with 3d games is to be smaller feeling worlds with each iteration or engine. Because Morrowind still feels bigger than Oblivion and Skyrim. However New Vegas felt much bigger than Fallout 3. But, this could just be all in my head :P

I wouldn't mind something in the Pacific Northwest, like the I-5 Corridor from Seattle down to Portland. Would give a good stretch of areas and types of places to adventure in.