[mod] Regula Magistri

@Slickjack, that mostly seems like a workaround for the somewhat poorly designed "Appoint Ward" interaction. Building a custom ward interaction is on the docket, albeit pretty low on the list of priorities.

At present you can use the manage mod decision to move the majority of your offspring to their mother's court.  That does away with most of the training hassle (you can also keep your current system and give your primary wife the Mulsa trait, as that will also spawn an entrance ward event).

Version 0.7 is out!  Time for an update to the character portraits.

Changelog:

The traits Mulsa, Paelex, Contubernalis, and One with the Book now all change a character's appearance. The first three have altered (or no) pupils, while One with the Book transforms the character's hair, skin, and eyes in different ways, depending on their highest skill.
It may be nigh impossible to stop lustful characters from cheating, but their lasciviousness now works to your advantage. Paelicies will now trigger mod-specific cheating events rather than the base game versions, allowing you to choose to dominate (female) or punish (male) their lovers.
If you are the Pontifex Carnalis you can now ally with independent female rulers, via the "Forge a Compeditaen Alliance" interaction.
Rather than simply revoke the lease of a hostile holy order within your realm, you may corrupt them instead.  The titles within your demesne will be granted to a new holy order within your religion. This is the first mod interaction to require the Exarch trait.
Regula Magestri has been added to the list of polygamous religions. This required overwriting the base game files 00_marriage_scripted_modifiers and 00_marriage_interaction_effects. Thanks to dverago for the code!

Bugfixes and tweaks:
Adding the Mulsa trait to the ward of a Paelex or the MC will now add a small amount of renown, if the ward is of a different dynasty (5 for paelex/10 for magister)
Generals will no longer abandon their armies to go to an orgy.
Fixed the Fascinare ward event. In some cases it wasn't firing correctly when the guardian was a Mulsa.
Limited the Fascinare ward events to the MC and their direct vassals, to reduce the number of events firing. Events with more distant vassals/mulsae will auto-succeed.
Reduced the piety gain from Domitans Tribunal from 250 to 100.  It was a little too overpowered with dozens of Paelices.
Reduced the chance that an Infecta would entrance their spouse from 40% to 20%.
Militant Paelices can now successfully petition to found a holy order in their realm, with your assistance.  Unlike the default AI interaction this requires only that they hold a duchy title or greater, but you will have to financially support their efforts.

Known issues:
Not all holy order titles can be corrupted. This stems from issues with how the base game's has_revokable_lease trigger is coded, and will hopefully be resolved in the next update from Paradox.
Switching to another Magister religion via the Config decision leaves the holy orders behind.
Shackles often don't line up with prisoner's wrists.  This is due to an error in the game's default animation.
Despite the flavour text, those that are one with the book don't die when the book is destroyed.

Regula 12 - Portraits.jpg

Edited by bobbily

I don't like these optical changes at all for the harem of the mc. It destroys all the immersion for me, if the carefully selected women suddenly have purple or pink eyes, while the "one with the book" version is the worst of all. This wasn't what I was looking for initially when I started to play this haremocracy mod, to have the optical appearance changed in a way, which really turns me off. If I want to play cyberpunk, I'll do so, but this is Crusader Kings and women should still look medieval and human, with perfectly natural optical features. This mod isn't for me any more.

Edited by +Seewolf+

Thank you bobbily for all your hard work on this.

9 hours ago, bobbily said:

It may be nigh impossible to stop lustful characters from cheating, but their lasciviousness now works to your advantage. Paelicies will now trigger mod-specific cheating events rather than the base game versions, allowing you to choose to dominate (female) or punish (male) their lovers.

One alternative might be to make Paelicies bisexual with a strong mutual attraction bonus, and let them screw each other for your Magister's entertainment. I'm not sure which mod it's due to, but in my most recent run-through my Paelicies kept coming to my attention with an event showing her having an affair with herself (masturbation?), perhaps indicating she was precluded from having an affair with anybody else.

9 hours ago, bobbily said:

Reduced the chance that an Infecta would entrance their spouse from 40% to 20%.

I'd actually prefer if this effect got nuked altogether. In my most recent playthrough, I tried out fascinating the wives of my neighbors (that I has captured while holy-warring them), in the hopes that I'd get some sort of benefit (or at least amusement), only to have them entrance their husbands. This meant that I could not declare any further holy wars until I'd assassinated them (as they were of my religion). And whilst their heirs were (generally still) of their original religion, the realms gained, and stayed with, Heriditas Compedita inheritance (which is an odd look with, for example, a Muslim religion realm and ruler). Perhaps have Infecta as a female-only effect?

I was playing the new Regula Magistria - Europe religion, and came to the conclusion that its holy sites covered way too wide an area to be worth seeking out the majority of them. May I suggest that the 'Mediterranean' variant be renamed 'East Mediterranean' (keeping, at least approximately, its current holy sites), with 'Europe' being renamed 'West Mediterranean', share Rome and Carthage with 'East Mediterranean', keep Toulouse, and gain some holy sites in Hispania and/or western North Africa. A North and Baltic Seas subcult could be added (as Regula Magistria - North Europe), and perhaps a separate inland Central Europe variant.

Another thing to think about is to make sure that you don't have too many holy sites that are core parts of hard to beat foes, and/or inaccessible. The current Regula Magistria - Mediterranean may be taking that a bit far with two holy sites being part of large empires at the early start date (and three as part of empires or large kingdoms in 1066). Regula Magistria - Europe has Toulouse, which is part of a very large West Francia/France in most start dates and inland (so somewhat inaccessible), as well as Krakow which is so far inland as to be very inaccessible. Inaccessible holy sites can of course be conquered with a forged claim, but can make for some really strange (and immersion-breaking) border gore.

46 minutes ago, zargod said:

I'm not sure which mod it's due to, but in my most recent run-through my Paelicies kept coming to my attention with an event showing her having an affair with herself (masturbation?), perhaps indicating she was precluded from having an affair with anybody else.

On closer examination, the mod causing this effect is likely to be 'Limited Adultery' https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2479742536

4 hours ago, zargod said:

Another thing to think about is to make sure that you don't have too many holy sites that are core parts of hard to beat foes, and/or inaccessible. The current Regula Magistria - Mediterranean may be taking that a bit far with two holy sites being part of large empires at the early start date (and three as part of empires or large kingdoms in 1066). Regula Magistria - Europe has Toulouse, which is part of a very large West Francia/France in most start dates and inland (so somewhat inaccessible), as well as Krakow which is so far inland as to be very inaccessible. Inaccessible holy sites can of course be conquered with a forged claim, but can make for some really strange (and immersion-breaking) border gore.

On the flip side, starting with the Mediterranean at an early start date and using a ruler from Egypt, will get you easy access to three holy sites quite quickly.  (Start with Alexandria, and head west first.  Jerusalem is close and tempting, but it's an easy pickup once you've conquered north Africa.)

I'll have to see what the eyes look like, but I like the idea (magic glow) - however I can see it being a taste thing.  Is there a way to make it an option so players like Seewolf can play without it?

@Darkmind_mc and @+Seewolf+, it's an easy fix.  Just delete \mod\Regula_Magistri\gfx\portraits\portrait_modifiers\regula_portrait_modifiers.txt and all the cosmetic changes will disappear.  The rest of the mod will be untouched.

The distributed holy sites is intended.  It should be somewhat difficult to obtain all five, but pretty easy to snap up 1 or 2.  

Trying it in game - it's actually hard to notice the color for the Musla and Paelex.  What is noticeable is that the whites of their eyes are quite a bit brighter, and feel overlaid a bit.

The Contubernalis eyes are more noticeable, but actually stand out less - they manage to look more natural as they don't feel pasted on.

On 5/28/2021 at 8:12 AM, bobbily said:

The traits Mulsa, Paelex, Contubernalis, and One with the Book

how the heck do you even get the "One With The Book" trait?? I managed to get the other trait but this one i dont know how to trigger.

1 hour ago, Omori1701 said:

how the heck do you even get the "One With The Book" trait?? I managed to get the other trait but this one i dont know how to trigger.

get to the highest level of devotion, and one of the options should be it, "grant immortality" i think it is? (been a month since i last launched ck3)

4 hours ago, Omori1701 said:

Control either Tunis or Gotland (Mediterranean/European), then use the interaction "Sanctifica Serva" on one of your Paelices.  There's no devotion requirement, but the Magister needs to be fairly healthy (the interaction makes the Paelex immortal, but weakens your character) and have 750 piety.

@Darkmind_mc, the game was giving Paelices pure black sclera, so I overwrote it with white.  I'll try using a light gray or something instead. The Mulsae shouldn't be affected though.

4 hours ago, bobbily said:

Control either Tunis or Gotland (Mediterranean/European), then use the interaction "Sanctifica Serva" on one of your Paelices.  There's no devotion requirement, but the Magister needs to be fairly healthy (the interaction makes the Paelex immortal, but weakens your character) and have 750 piety.

@Darkmind_mc, the game was giving Paelices pure black sclera, so I overwrote it with white.  I'll try using a light gray or something instead. The Mulsae shouldn't be affected though.

Ah thanks...seem working. From my game its seem the skin color change to red instead of black so thats weird~

A question: has anybody been able to build a Grand Temple at the Gotland Holy Site? I currently possess that county in my current playthrough, but do not have the option of building a Grand Temple there -- possibly because the province capital barony already contains a buildable Special Building, the Visby Ringmur.

On 6/4/2021 at 6:09 PM, bobbily said:

The Sanctifica Serva output depends on their highest skill.  Each one leads to a different appearance, modeled after the "goddess" shown during the event.

one more thing about the trait, does the negative health boost can be removed?

My poor Deep One emperor of Byzantium was so excited to find the ancient tome of dark magic, but then had to reject it because it required him to abandon Dagonism for whatever this new religion was, and he was a pious Dagonite. Roleplaying that out was fun.

Alright, the mod is Azure ready!  Please let me know if there are any issues.

Changelog:
The mod is now compatible with CK3 version 1.4.
You can now make your Domina and Paelex naked at all times with the "Compeditae Clothing" Game Rule.
The Mulsa/Paelex/One with the Book/etc. portrait modifiers can be disabled with the "Portrait Modifiers" Game Rule.

Bugfixes and tweaks:
Adjusted the Mulsa and Paelex eyes, so they don't stand out as much. Tweaked the structure of the Paelex eye.
Added descriptors to some of the events, explaining what happens when they fire.
The religion has been overhauled to take advantage of the new deactivate_holy_site effect.  There should be little visible change on the player side, but swapping between holy sites mid-game should now be seamless.

Known issues:
Not all holy order titles can be corrupted. This stems from issues with how the base game's has_revokable_lease trigger is coded, and will hopefully be resolved in the next update from Paradox.
Shackles often don't line up with prisoner's wrists.  This is due to an error in the game's default animation.
Despite the flavour text, those that are one with the book don't die when the book is destroyed.

Regula_Magistri_0.71.zip

Some current issues include blank war declarations and men joining orgies.

Strangely enough, the blank declarations are not uniform. Some special war declarations  like ducal conquest and pressed claims show up properly pic1.jpg

Edited by eldiyar

One more thing about playing this otherwise excellenet mod - it's often inconveniencing that i can't expand the tab for other spouses...

Yet I've played with mod set-ups that allow more spouses to be shown in the widget. I'll test to see if its Carnalitas or something else. Anyway would be really good to have in the mod.

Also while I'm enjoying it, I've been thinking of some ideas to expand on it... since the Magisterian religion is evil and about binding souls and enslaving people, I wonder if it wouldn't be also cool to have a good religion about bonding souls, with the player as a Medieval equivalent to a powerful ESPer and able to attract others strongly to him via psionic powers that are subtly different from hypnosis.

Game-play wise it might encourage going "tall" rather than "wide" with fewer select spouses in your harem who you can "power up" more. Maybe I'll try my hand at implementing this my self :)

Edited by eldiyar