LazyFollowers

Makes it possible to turn any RaceMenu preset into your own custom follower quick and easy completely in game - no CreationKit work necessary!

DISCLAIMER - loading presets on NPCs is experimental, it's a prototype feature in RaceMenu. You may experience unwanted effects like tints vanishing, body textures etc. This mod uses the exact same function as "NPC Appearance Changer" so please see that mod page for things that can pop up. 

Do not use this mod in your superimportant save and expect things to work out fine now or later. Personally I haven't had any problem except having to restart the game once or twice when some appearance change lingered in the cache. But it likely depends on what other mods you use so YMMV, no guarantees, warranties yada yada.
Also, having several NPCs with dynamically generated appearances in the same location instead of using pre-made heads will tank your FPS. Especially if you decide to slap SMP hair on everyone. With that out of the way...

HOW TO USE -  Setting up the Preset

Spoiler
  1. Start Skyrim
  2. At the main menu open console, usually the top left key, and type "coc qasmoke". This will skip past the intro and everything else directly into the game to a built in test location.
  3. Once everything has loaded and you have control of the character open console again and type "showracemenu". This will open the RaceMenu character editor.
  4. Now either create a new preset or load an existing
  5. Once that is done it's time for our next console command - "skee preset-save NN". Replace the NN with the name of the preset the NPC will use. I highly advice against using the same name as the version the player uses, I usally add EXP at the end to indicate it's an exported preset. If successful you'll see notice about "Preset saved"
  6. If you need to export more presets just repeat the process, you don't have to exit RaceMenu to use the preset-save command so it's pretty quick
  7. Once you're done exit out of the game, do not save. Since we skipped past the normal startup sequence you can't continue playing in this game

HOW TO USE - Setting up the NPC

Spoiler
  1. Once back in the game, either a new one or an existing save where you want to use this mod open up the LazyFollowers menu
  2. Pick a template from the list, this is strictly not necessary since we just started the mod so they're all blank but it's good to make this a habit so you don't accidentally edit an existing NPC instead of making a new one
  3. Change the npc name to your liking
  4. Select combatstyle. This dictates how the NPC will act in combat as well as what type of attacks they prefer to use, melee, ranged, magic etc
  5. Select class. This is very important to match with the combatstyle. NPCs don't gain skills when they use them only when they level up. And when they do the class dictates not only which skills they'll increase but also the stats. For example, if you set the combatstyle to be a caster but the class to 2h warrior you'll end up with a high health, low or zero magicka NPC that'll be generally useless. The LazyClass spreads all skills and stats evenly and isn't a good match for most types of followers.
  6. Select the preset you created earlier from the dropdown list
  7. Select the desired voicetype. The ones with an asterisk(*) at the end are the ones the standard game uses for followers and should always work showing the necessary dialogue. If you use a mod like Relationship Dialogue Overhaul you can also use the others. Remember that the voice is used from the list you opened last, the "Female Voices" or "Male Voices" menus.
  8. If you're satisfied with everything click Apply settings and then Summon NPC to get started

After that the NPC should function just like any other generic follower/marriage candidate.

SAMPLE SETUPS

Spoiler
  • 1h tank or 2h warrior - simply pick the matching combatstyle and class
  • Spellsword - pick combatstyle 1h(spellsword) then class Spellsword. Then open the "spells" menu and add "Bound sword" (first entry = right hand), oakflesh (second entry = left hand) and healing (second entry = left hand). The NPC will now first cast oakflesh in combat, then summon a sword to fight with and when low on health try to heal themselves
  • Magic/Annoying archer - pick combatstyle Magic Archer. Pick class Ranger. Open the "stats" menu and set MovementSpeed to 133 (33% increase). Bump Bowspeed to 1.333 if you want them to pew pew 33% faster too. Then open the 'spells' menu and add Conjure Familiar and healing (second entry = left hand). The NPC will now first summon an animal in combat, then use it as a distraction while using a ranged weapon. If the the enemy comes too close they'll use their movementspeed to quickly try to gain range again and resummon their pet if its dead

After that the NPC should function just like any other generic follower/marriage candidate.

The target for the following menus are either the crosshair-target if the NPC is a LazyFollower, if not, it's the one selected in the NPCs list so make sure to double-check you're editing the right one.

STATS MENU
WeaponSpeed 0 means normal speed. WeaponSpeed 1 means normal as well (!), anything beyond that is an increase. E.g a value of 2.0 means 100% faster.
BowSpeed works normally, 1.5 is 50% faster
All stats are set directly on the base value. If there is any temporary buffs or modifier from other mods or sources they can change them, potentially to negative values, when they wear off or are removed

SPELLS MENU
Spells that are listed more than once are of different versions, the first is general/main hand type while the second copy is left hand only version. 
This can be utilized to set attack spells on right hand and support on left so the NPC can do  both at all time. E.g setting right hand Flames and left hand ward allows them to burn enemies and shield themselves from attacks. 
Selecting a spell again will remove it from the NPC.

SHOUT MENU
Do not use this. Adding shouts to a NPC will corrupt your savegame. CreationKit Wiki Link. Again, do not use this until a mod like Engine Fixes offers a patch. 
Regarding Familiar Faces, it circumvents this through a SKSK-plugin integrated into the mod itself which cannot be used standalone.

COMBAT MENU
Please see the Creation Kit Wiki for this - https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=CombatStyle
If nothing else make sure to adjust the Mult values so the type of items you want the NPC to use are set higher. E.g MeleeMult to 7-10 and the rest at 1 if you want them to focus on melee. Or spread them around on say Melee, magic and ranged if you want them to switch up between different styles. You can rename and edit both the default and unnamed styles as you wish.
Combat behavior  *might* not update until the NPC leaves and re-enters combat again.

DEBUG MENU
Only for troubleshooting. Or shooting yourself in the foot. If it's the latter you're on your own.

SAVE/LOAD MENU
Offers options to save/load config and NPCs separately. Files are stored in "SKSE\Plugins\LazyFollowers". This can be used to load NPCs from one save to another. Stats and skills are NOT transferred to avoid conflicts with difference in level and scaling. Items ARE transferred but may not be immediately equipped, especially if the NPC isn't in the area when you import their data.

NPC PERKS
All NPCs have ALL perks. As for how/if they work who knows. 
If they do work as intended the perks wont activate until you set the linked skill to the requirement value which will prevent super overpowered NPCs.

KNOWN ISSUES

Spoiler

Name vanishing/can't interact with NPC - I've had reports My Home is Your Home (unknown which version) and Extensible Follower Framework clearing out the name override effectively setting the NPCs name to nothing. This unfortunately also makes it impossible to interact with them. Re-apply their names from the menu or restart the game to have the mod do it automatically. If it keeps happening I've  had reports Nether's Follower Framework work. Should be fixed as of 0.31.0
Tints/tattoos/overlays missing and other problems related to the presets being applied by RaceMenu -  I can't fix those and please do not bother Expired about them. He's not responsible for for whatever dumbass mods I make using prototype features.  Should be fixed as of 0.31.0
NPCs floating or standing around doing nothing - Skyrim can't handle too many NPCs in the same area. I suspect the limit is even lower when they're appearance changed since those strain the engine even further. You can try mods like Actor Limit Fix or A.I Limit Increaser if you haven't already.
Any other issue not posted above  - Unless it's something that can be reproduced reliably in a bare-bones game, only the required mods, or something you've pinned down to a specific set of mods it won't be looked at. There's no way for me to investigate a problem I can't even recreate let alone fix it. If you're unable to narrow things down try the alternative mods listed under credits instead for your custom NPC needs.

Presets not showing up in the MCM - Make sure to install PapyrusUtil SE, I missed adding that as a requirement initially.

CUSTOM VOICES/RACES
Custom race will be read from either the player or targeted NPC and added to the mod as an option automatically.
Custom voice will be read from the targeted NPC and added as above. NOTE - just because you can apply it doesn't mean it'll actually work, the dialogue for most custom voiced followers is controlled by other factors like quests which cannot be transferred this way making the NPC most likely silent.

ADVANCED USERS

Dynamic Animation Replacer - For those wanting their follower(s) to have unique animations the "LazyFollowers DAR" file contains unique folders for each NPC.
Custom body and textures - The "LazyFollowersCustomBody" gives the FemaleNord1 and MaleNord1 standalone body, hands and feet models as well as textures for them. Note that neither is included in the mod so you need to replace the included dummyfiles with your own. You probably want to make sure the presetfile and body use the same weight to avoid neckseams.

UPDATING THE LAZY WAY

This *might* work

Spoiler

Load save

Save NPCs and Settings in the MCM 
Run console command "
reloadscript _LazyFollowersActorScript" and wait for it to finish

Run console command "reloadscript _LazyFollowersMCMScript" and wait for it to finish

Run console command "reloadscript _LazyFollowersConfigManager" and wait for it to finish
Load save (yes again)

Run console command "stopquest _LazyFollowersMCM"

Run console command  "startquest _LazyFollowersMCM"

Wait for MCM to register the new version of the MCM

Load NPCs and Settings in the MCM

The "reloadscript" commands can also be pasted into a textfile saved in the save folder as the game executable. Then instead of typing everything you simply run the console command "bat nnnn" where nnnn is the name of the file WITHOUT the extension (txt)

While the animation replacer is safe, it either works or it doesn't, the custom body addon shouldn't be used for anything other as a tool to make regular standalone followers or just playing around. I don't use these features myself so they're largely untested. Adding support for more NPCs isn't likely since my CreationKit crashes regularily doing so for whatever reason.

The presets used in the images can be found here.

Credits
Expired for RaceMenu. Patreon with a Familiar Faces Port here.
Jespergunde for NPC Appearance Changer
SKSE Team
Really everyone making and sharing tools and information to make modding easier and gaming more fun!

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    10/29/2020
  • Category
  • Requires
    RaceMenu, SKSE, JContainers, PapyrusUtil SE
  • Regular Edition Compatible
    Yes

No this is not intended to be a replacer for Familiar Faces. I just put this together for fun and to test out the functions. It doesn't have the necessary support to save data to file either so the NPCs are per-save only. However Expired posted a testport of Familiar Faces here if you want to give it a go ?

As for LE I have no idea. I think the CharGen function and syntax is the same as in LE so it might work.

3 hours ago, LazyGirl said:

As for LE I have no idea.

Cheers,

I looked at the script sources as well as installing and testing this mod (and NPC Appearance Changer) and I can confirm full LE compatibility.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.de44446ed81a527bc4edec6c2f1a4b6a.png

(the skin-colour is slightly off for the npc, but that's due to additional overlays on my pc from other mods that cannot be exported)

On 10/29/2020 at 12:12 PM, LazyGirl said:

No this is not intended to be a replacer for Familiar Faces. I just put this together for fun and to test out the functions. It doesn't have the necessary support to save data to file either so the NPCs are per-save only. However Expired posted a testport of Familiar Faces here if you want to give it a go ?

As for LE I have no idea. I think the CharGen function and syntax is the same as in LE so it might work.

Well I consider it a replacer since Familiar faces can cause CTD if using more than 1 follower, at least for me.

However there are some bugs in the mod. In particular,  I find it funny that FemaleNord preset NPC's use male voices, I tried messing with the settings, but only changes in male voices respond. Perhaps it would be solved if male voice would be set to none on female npc's?

Also, resetting an npc makes the MCM glitch out/freeze and the npc is stuck in a permanent blue aura and does not get sent back to storage

And can also confirm LE works.

1 hour ago, Durante said:

Well I consider it a replacer since Familiar faces can cause CTD if using more than 1 follower, at least for me.

However there are some bugs in the mod. In particular,  I find it funny that FemaleNord preset NPC's use male voices, I tried messing with the settings, but only changes in male voices respond. Perhaps it would be solved if male voice would be set to none on female npc's?

Also, resetting an npc makes the MCM glitch out/freeze and the npc is stuck in a permanent blue aura and does not get sent back to storage

And can also confirm LE works.

The templates use their default gendered voice. For the MCM, the mod checks what dropdown menu was accessed last and uses that to decide if a male or female voicetype is selected so don't access the other before applying your changes. 

As for the freeze I took a look and it's a bug with the spell reset getting stuck. I uploaded a new version with the fixed script. Don't have much time so only tested it once but the button did what it's supposed to do.
Personally I haven't had any problems applying new data on NPCs so this feature isn't really needed at the moment. It's mostly there if I ever get around to add file support so the mod can delete stored entries.

9 hours ago, LazyGirl said:

The templates use their default gendered voice. For the MCM, the mod checks what dropdown menu was accessed last and uses that to decide if a male or female voicetype is selected so don't access the other before applying your changes. 

As for the freeze I took a look and it's a bug with the spell reset getting stuck. I uploaded a new version with the fixed script. Don't have much time so only tested it once but the button did what it's supposed to do.
Personally I haven't had any problems applying new data on NPCs so this feature isn't really needed at the moment. It's mostly there if I ever get around to add file support so the mod can delete stored entries.

Thank you, I got that settled.

However, the annoying blue aura is now there permanently, it does not dissipate.

Here's some suggestions for you to consider when you have more time:

1. Add racemenu tats support when importing characters from json files, bodymorph values get imported but not the tattoos it seems.

2. Add the option to enable shouts for NPC's, I'd like to imagine some of those followers as alternate reality dovahkiins from different playthroughs.

On 10/31/2020 at 12:55 PM, Durante said:

1. Add racemenu tats support when importing characters from json files, bodymorph values get imported but not the tattoos it seems.

2. Add the option to enable shouts for NPC's, I'd like to imagine some of those followers as alternate reality dovahkiins from different playthroughs.

1 - The core functionality is handled entire by RaceMenu through a CharGen method including parsing the preset-files so there isn't anything I can do there unfortunately. There's some interesting information in this screenshot fromthe NPC Appearance Changer page if you haven't seen it already, see screenshot below. What you could try for the blue tint is the "skee reload tints" command and see if that helps.

2 - I took a look at it but decided against adding it after reading warning about problems and savegame corruption on the wiki. I could add it as an extra dropdown menu like the spellist though so people can try it for themselves.

7 hours ago, Gulhar said:

Hello, does this mod works for customs races?

No, to add custom races to the lists they would have to be added as dependencies to the mod in its current form. 

To add your own race or voice right now you have to add it to the corresponding FormList, _LazyFollowersRaces_LazyFollowersFemaleVoices or _LazyFollowersFemaleVoices. Then also add the menu label/text for it in String arrays RacesListFVoicesList or MVoicesList attached to the _LazyFollowersMCMScript at the same position. E.g, you add your custom race at position 12 in the formlist = index 12 in the string array must be the name of your custom race for everything to match up. So basically, it's just two quick edits to accomplish this. That was the plan anyway, I don't use any custom races or voices so I haven't tested it.

I wrote the mod with some flexibility in mind with the goal of moving all the race, voice, spell, shout etc data to a configuration file. That way users can add their own without having to make edits to the esp. Again, if I get around to adding read/write json support.
Besides the Familiar Faces port there are at least two other mods that does similar things so I want to avoid spending time adding something someone else is already working on. 

If there are any more suggestsions on what to add feel free to chime in. I'm working on a small update to fix the some menu inputs not showing the current value as default plus an attackDamageMult slider so you can make your followers do more or less damage to balance out bigger parties.

Info.jpg

On 10/31/2020 at 7:55 AM, Durante said:

Thank you, I got that settled.

However, the annoying blue aura is now there permanently, it does not dissipate.

Here's some suggestions for you to consider when you have more time:

The "annoying blue aura" is from one of the perks. I think it's the magic resist one/atronarch. Removing the perk will fix that.

This is an awesome mod, by the way, as it does the entire follower process in game and is perfect for creating that companion in a RP playthrough that was always with you, without going to wherever you put them in the toolset.

Additions I can think of:

1: Giving them a custom class: The one point increase in all the useful follower skills is a safe choice, but allowing them to have a more defined class, if possible, would be a nice option. From how you've set it up, one way to accomplish this is to change it from NordFemale 1-10/Male1-10 to NordFemaleDefault, NordFemaleRanger, and have each template be the class basis attached to the respective class data. Though you can probably think of something better.

2: Less Perks: Followers don't can't use a lot of perks, plus this creates blue aura issue with some above. The only real perk of necessity is the one to avoid traps.

Even with no changes, this is a definite add-on to my playthroughs going forward.

I've noticed some spellsl like the bound battleaxe not working on NPCs. Not sure if it's my load order or intended by the game but for now I've left them in for testing.

As mentioned in the changelog shouts don't work. You can add them, the NPC will shout away (kinda fun to watch actually) but if you save and try to load the game later on you'll most likely CTD.

EDIT - Regarding updating, clean the _LazyFollowers scripts with Fallrimtools, install the new version,  load the game and wait for the MCM to load. You may have to reapply some settings to the NPCs but their equipment should still be intact.

1 hour ago, shamboz said:

after i updated to 0.20 from 0.10 now the MCM menu is empty.. i can see MAIN/STATS/SPELLS/COMBAT but nothing shows up when i click those..?

Both the core game and menu scripts are changed. Since these are stored in your save, even when you remove the mod that added them, it's not possible to straight update a mod with newer versions and have the changes appear.
Use Fallrimtools to delete the "_LazyFollowersActorScript" and "_LazyFollowersMCMScript" from your save. Then save to a new file, install the new LazyFollowers version and finally load the cleaned save. The mod should now restart with its updated scripts properly.

Alternatively, you can remove all items you want to keep from any active followers. Remove the mod and then save with it gone. Finally do the above to remove the old scripts and then you can install the new version as normal. 

2 hours ago, skyrim482 said:

Im getting an issue where im not able to talk to the follower most of the time. I put my cross hairs on them but the game doesn't recognize them being there. Works fine other times, any ideas?

Short version - it's another mod messing up the name

Longer version - It's possible to rename a NPC (or anything really) by putting them into an alias with a set name attached. This uses the same method as the script version in this mod. Problem arises if a mod uses an alias with this active but forgets to set a name effectively deleting it entirely. Without that the game won't allow you to interact with the NPC for whatever reason.

Only mod I've found that occasionally causes this is My Home is Your Home. Not sure if it's present in all versions, there are several conversion as well as "extended" variants with support for more NPCs.

3 hours ago, LazyGirl said:

Short version - it's another mod messing up the name

Longer version - It's possible to rename a NPC (or anything really) by putting them into an alias with a set name attached. This uses the same method as the script version in this mod. Problem arises if a mod uses an alias with this active but forgets to set a name effectively deleting it entirely. Without that the game won't allow you to interact with the NPC for whatever reason.

Only mod I've found that occasionally causes this is My Home is Your Home. Not sure if it's present in all versions, there are several conversion as well as "extended" variants with support for more NPCs.

I will try putting this at the end of my load order and see or ty the set display name. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

To update from 0.20 -> 0.30 you *might* have success doing the following

1 - Load the game

2 - Type "reloadscript _LazyFollowersMCMScript" in console. This will load the new script version from disk but NOT add it to your game

3 - Load the game again, it will now read the new MCM script

4 - Optional, you might have to stop and restart the MCM quest for it to show changes, type "help _lazyf" to see its id/name. Alternatively just clean the MCM script with Fallrimtools instead.

5 - Save ONLY the NPC data. Config data will be reset/zeroed since it's included in the "_LazyFollowersMCMScript" we just reinitialized.

6 - Start a new game (fastest to just do "coc qasmoke" from main menu)

7- Save ONLY the Config data. Since this is a new game it'll be set up with all the correct stuff

8 - Clean the "_LazyFollowers" scripts from the save in #1 game will Fallrimtools. The "_LazyFollowersPlayerScript" isn't changed so you can leave that in.

9 - Finally, load #1 save again and import both the fixed and updated Config and NPC data

You probably have to set up some data like combatstyle again since we loaded the standard info from the new game but with this your NPCs should still be intact plus you have 20 more to play around with.

12 hours ago, zetsinrau said:

I'm getting CTD when I do Save - Load. :(

You're going to have to provide more information than that I'm afraid. The only crash I had was when I added shouts to the NPCs which is why the feature is disabled for now.

Try this in order and report back which step(s) causes the issue

1 - Save and load when the mod is first installed without doing anything else
2 - Same as 1 but run "coc _lazyfollowerscell" in console first to move to the NPC room

3 - Same as 2 but apply a preset using only default game assets (eyes, hairs, race, voice etc)

4 - Same as 3 but use the preset last used in the game that crashes

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm using SE version; everything works perfectly except for one issue I'm having. When I loaded my first(and so far only) follower everything was fine, everything loaded on the follower no problem. However when I loaded up a save with the follower I initiated a sexlab scene and the follower is now using the cbbe curvy preset body instead of my personal body like she was before I saved and quit that literally every other female npc is using. Is this a problem with the mod or do I have a conflict going on? Not sure why this follower is the only female in my entire game using the default cbbe curvy body instead of my preset.

Ok here is the result of my Name troubleshooting. It appears Amazing Follower Tweaks- AFT, Is doing something to their name to make it disappear. I can talk with them and interact with the npc just fine until I ask them to follow. The result after is their name disappearing and im unable to interact. Disable / enable  in the console brings them back but only for one conversation. If I go into Lazy followers and Apply the name and settings to the npc it appears to fix the issue but will actually crash the game if I attempt a few conversations with the follower. so is AFT just incompatable, or am I missing something? Open to other follower overhauls at this point.

Update I got rid of AFT completely and used a new follower overhaul Nether follower Framework. After the switch the mod runs perfect no dialogue issues or crashing from the npc name disappearing. I would take a note of AFT probably being incompatible (at least in my game) in the description so others can know. AFT is a fairly popular follower mod.

Thanks for all your work!

14 hours ago, AlleyCa7 said:

Hi, I'm using SE version; everything works perfectly except for one issue I'm having. When I loaded my first(and so far only) follower everything was fine, everything loaded on the follower no problem. However when I loaded up a save with the follower I initiated a sexlab scene and the follower is now using the cbbe curvy preset body instead of my personal body like she was before I saved and quit that literally every other female npc is using. Is this a problem with the mod or do I have a conflict going on? Not sure why this follower is the only female in my entire game using the default cbbe curvy body instead of my preset.

Bodymorphs are stored in your save as far as I know so they don't "fall off" unless there's something else undoing them. If it was in a SexLab scene I'd take a guess it could be an inflation mod. Probably stored the default body earlier and used that to calculate its changes. Should be fine if you unregister the NPC from it and reapply the preset so it's the new default.

2 hours ago, skyrim482 said:

Update I got rid of AFT completely and used a new follower overhaul Nether follower Framework. After the switch the mod runs perfect no dialogue issues or crashing from the npc name disappearing. I would take a note of AFT probably being incompatible (at least in my game) in the description so others can know. AFT is a fairly popular follower mod.

Thanks for all your work!

Thanks for the feedback. It's probably the same bug My Home is Your Home has where it applies an alias with a blank name override for whatever reason. Might be possible to fix/make the proper name stick if you reload the NPC data from disk