Sub-forums needed

Did something change with the "Utilities" page?

The other day, I was able to post a new upload to it. Today, it (and all other download topics) now only has a "Submit a File" button then prompts me to pick a forum from among the major sections on LoversLab... which does NOT list/include Klub17/TK17. So there is no way to post a new upload.

And all Parent topics DESPERATELY need the ability to create sub-topics beneath/inside them. Rooms and Clothing should not be in the same list. Mixing all different types of uploads together in the same list is going to become a hot mess really fast with popular downloads gradually moving off the list never to be seen again. :(

If LL can't do this, we need to find another host.

10 minutes ago, OysterMug said:

Did something change with the "Utilities" page?

The other day, I was able to post a new upload to it. Today, it (and all other download topics) now only has a "Submit a File" button then prompts me to pick a forum from among the major sections on LoversLab... which does NOT list/include Klub17/TK17. So there is no way to post a new upload.

And all Parent topics DESPERATELY need the ability to create sub-topics beneath/inside them. Rooms and Clothing should not be in the same list. Mixing all different types of uploads together in the same list is going to become a hot mess really fast with popular downloads gradually moving off the list never to be seen again. :(

If LL can't do this, we need to find another host.

This can happen if you try to change and select a different upload location. Usually fixed by refreshing the page and trying again.  When you hit "Submit File" it should default to which ever section you are on.

As for the other side.  While I agree that sub-catefories will hope to separate clothes/rooms/toys and other items. That option is not available.  In addition I don't think it is a huge issue as these items can be separated by using tags. MG was IMO a hot mess due to the insane amount of topics and subtopics littered across the forum.  Making it confusing for anyone trying to find anything.  Others may have different opinion, but thats my thoughts.

18 minutes ago, hdiddy said:

This can happen if you try to change and select a different upload location. Usually fixed by refreshing the page and trying again.  When you hit "Submit File" it should default to which ever section you are on.

As for the other side.  While I agree that sub-catefories will hope to separate clothes/rooms/toys and other items. That option is not available.  In addition I don't think it is a huge issue as these items can be separated by using tags. MG was IMO a hot mess due to the insane amount of topics and subtopics littered across the forum.  Making it confusing for anyone trying to find anything.  Others may have different opinion, but thats my thoughts.

Thanks on the "upload location". Just be aware that TheKlub17 itself does not appear anywhere in that list, so users should not go looking for a different topic. It doesn't even appear on the LL Homepage.) If a TK17 member doesn't share the link with someone, they'd never know this program/community even exists. That's a recipe for a speedy death.

And "tags" are only helpful if you already know what you are looking for. How many new users would even THINK to search for a program that lets you add new voices unless it just crosses their mind (or someone else who already knows of it just happens to mention it?)

No. This setup just won't do. MG may have needed organizing (and improved Blogging software), but it was more than customizable.

If I had the time/money, I'd create a new dedicated site using Wordpress and host it on a commercial server. :(

42 minutes ago, OysterMug said:

Thanks on the "upload location". Just be aware that TheKlub17 itself does not appear anywhere in that list, so users should not go looking for a different topic. It doesn't even appear on the LL Homepage.) If a TK17 member doesn't share the link with someone, they'd never know this program/community even exists. That's a recipe for a speedy death.

Agreed. However that's pretty is the same thing with ModsGarden maybe worse.

44 minutes ago, OysterMug said:

And "tags" are only helpful if you already know what you are looking for. How many new users would even THINK to search for a program that lets you add new voices unless it just crosses their mind (or someone else who already knows of it just happens to mention it?)

I think this is very niche case.  But what is stopping you from creating a help guide or something in a discussion forum pointing a user directly to that file?  There is not one right way to do this.  I will always say that a separate files area where people cannot post random discussion topics will always be the best. Some of the biggest complaints from users was having to browse through pages and pages of discussion topic to find the file they need.  Trying to find something like a search program using the search was even worse of an experience.

52 minutes ago, OysterMug said:

No. This setup just won't do. MG may have needed organizing (and improved Blogging software), but it was more than customizable.

If I had the time/money, I'd create a new dedicated site using Wordpress and host it on a commercial server. :(

So what we have is what we have. ModsGarden is down with no ETA of when it will go up.  So what are options.  Pros and Cons.  Lets discuss, and really hash it out.

Discord:

Pros:

Allows the level of customization you and some other users are looking for.

Real Time conversation

Cons:

However, requires users to post files to external sites in some ways making it a nightmare to find stuff as threads get longer and longer in length.

Has the same visibility issues as ModsGarden with users needing a link to know how to get there.

LoversLab Clubs:

Pros:

Ability for users to upload large files in dedicated area

Hosted with the rest of the large Sex Mod Communities, providing more visibility to the club for new users

Cons:

In ability to sub-categorize files sections

Site is at the mercy of the larger host

Custom site on Wordpress or other host

Pros:

Full control over everything

Can do what ever we like within the capabilities of the site

Cons:

Creates an issue of ownership like MG, if the person who paid for it decides to just drop off

Completely invisible to the community in some ways worse than MG.  You literally must be in the know.

15 hours ago, hdiddy said:

...what is stopping you from creating a help guide or something in a discussion forum pointing a user directly to that file?

Primarily, the fact only the "General" topic permits users to add new sub-topics. If I wanted to post/pin my "Voiceset Creator/Installer" apps, the ONLY place that is possible is in the "General" section. Ditto if I wanted to create a new "Voiceset downloads" page.

Custom site on Wordpress or other host

Pros:

Full control over everything

Can do what ever we like within the capabilities of the site

Cons:

Creates an issue of ownership like MG, if the person who paid for it decides to just drop off

Completely invisible to the community in some ways worse than MG.  You literally must be in the know.

Wordpress,com (IIRC) will host sites for free (some self-censoring might be required) and we can give "Admin" access to multiple people to ensure the site isn't at the mercy of a single owner.

All uploads (even tiny ones) would have to be hosted remotely though (not a huge deal.) And the site would show up in a Google search (that's how I discovered The Garden) as well as promoted on Discord and here on LL. "Google Sites" (which I used for the Online Documentation and gave edit permission to multiple people) is another free hosting option.

The only thing we need are experienced people with the free time to do it.

7 hours ago, OysterMug said:

Primarily, the fact only the "General" topic permits users to add new sub-topics. If I wanted to post/pin my "Voiceset Creator/Installer" apps, the ONLY place that is possible is in the "General" section. Ditto if I wanted to create a new "Voiceset downloads" page.

So I don't think any normal user in any forum should have the ability to pin their post as they please.  That said, you are a Moderator.  Pretty sure you can do just what you just mentioned. 

IMO, your Voiceset Creator/Installer app is an Utility similar to utilities we have for poses, addons, and other items.  I would propose put it in the Utilities section like the other utilities.  Voicesets are ultimately addons I would say it goes in addons and tagged with tk17:voice, etc,,,

Do we need a new downloads page just for voices....my opinion is no, but curious to what others think.  Please keep in mind that the more little tabs you add to the top the more cluttered and confusing things get.  I would also say, adding a pinned topic for Sounds and Voices in Media might make more sense

6 hours ago, hdiddy said:

you are a Moderator.  Pretty sure you can do just what you just mentioned.

I don't wish to (nor should anyone) place uploads in the "General" topic. If we start larding up the "General" page with dozens of different topics/subsections, it would be no better (worse) than what you disliked about The Garden.

IMO, your Voiceset Creator/Installer app is an Utility similar to utilities we have for poses, addons, and other items.

The files can be posted, yes. But discussing voices/sounds and asking for help deserves a dedicated forum. These are two apps, not one.

Do we need a new downloads page just for voices....my opinion is no, but curious to what others think.  Please keep in mind that the more little tabs you add to the top the more cluttered and confusing things get.  I would also say, adding a pinned topic for Sounds and Voices in Media might make more sense

No need for a lot of parent tabs. A single "Downloads" section with multiple subsections would be perfect.

Voices had an entire section on MG. Raisten had a different voice system that was incompatible with my own. There were Upload and Discussion forums for both.