How to fix Interactive Pose Delays in VX

hdiddy

So there is a reason why most people prefer animated poses. Outside of Interactive poses just being harder to modify, they also tend to have this odd delay bug making them annoying to use especially in a sequence. 3 out of 4 Interactive poses have this issue. While there was a couple of ways to fix the bug mentioned in the Garden.  I found this specific method works the best.  Yes it does require you modifying each pose.  But for those of us who do that already something you can add to your workflow.  If you are completely unfamiliar with the Pose Editor I suggest you review OysterMugs VX Documention on how to use the Pose Editor it does not explain Interactive poses but it as a good resource so you know how to navigate it.

The video below is the usual thing that happens for a pose that is Interactive.  When you start the pose you there is a delay before it starts. This delay could be short or long depending on how many timelines your normal loop covers.  There is a technical reason why it does this and maybe someone else can explain but it has something to do with animation timers.

The first thing you need to do is go to the last key frame of the normal Loop (Green Section). In this pose the normal loop spans 6 timelines so the las key is in Timeline 6.  Be sure to double check as some poses are long. Once you find it select that key frame, then Right click on that key frame and select "Copy All Keys"

image.png.25e09e16c44c0e12e5563a03daa84733.png

Next go to the beginning of the time line and select the next frame after the first key of the normal loop. (Usually the second Frame)

image.png.b09aef784e626f97ca5dae7bdbe5c050.png

Right Click on that 2nd frame position you selected and select "Paste Keys". This step is important to make sure your animation loops smoothly and has no weird jumps or hiccups.

image.png.474b6eb719ca606d2b9f372cd14d3e78.png

If you did everything right you should now have 2 key frames right next to each other at the beginning of the normal loop as show below:

image.png.6f7ff8cbfb5cb989e53a7ba6531ab51c.png

Next you need to start the Normal Loop at the position of the key you just added.  To do this Right Click on that new key you just added and Click on "Set Start" and then "Normal Loop". 

image.png.05eab3738162eeea69eb36f47ad42714.png

You will see the green background has been removed from the first key.

image.png.c07243f1dba17918f0466a39d2166a71.png

That's it your pose should now work correctly right when it is loaded with no Delay.  This method has worked on 99% of all poses I have tried it on. Including those where the Normal loop is overlapped or not first in the timeline.  Once you get the hang of it it takes seconds to do for a pose. Below is a video of the fixed pose in action.

VERY interesting. This is the first "tutorial" I've seen on fixing the bug. :thumbsup:

What is especially nice about this fix is it's self-contained within the pose itself. My own "fix" does the exact same thing... but only for the Sequencer by inserting a single one-frame static pose (typically a copy of the 1st frame of your problem pose) just before the interactive pose (resetting the timer.) This solution basically does the same thing by inserting that single frame at the start of the pose.

Note that poorly-constructed Interactive poses may still have the bug even after the fix. Such poses typically don't need to be "Interactive" in the first place (no "loops").

(Note: It doesn't "necessarily" need to be a copy of the last frame of the Normal loop. It should already match the first frame. If not, paste it over both frame 1 & 2.)

5 hours ago, OysterMug said:

(Note: It doesn't "necessarily" need to be a copy of the last frame of the Normal loop. It should already match the first frame. If not, paste it over both frame 1 & 2.)

I had this same thought when someone explained the fix to me, but I got mixed results doing it that way.  The game does weird illogical things sometimes so who knows.

1 hour ago, EJAX said:

I haven't done enough interactive poses to have experienced this problem. But, does this bear any relation to normal poses not starting on cue in the sequencer? I've lost a few hairs over that one.

Yes. The cause is the same. The "fix" I described that I use can help with that, but it's only useful in the Sequencer.

41 minutes ago, hdiddy said:

The game does weird illogical things sometimes so who knows.

Worst is when I back up a frame to adjust something, and her hips start doing somersaults! Then I have to step through the entire sequence and "touch" everything just to get everything back to normal. It's like it's recording the sequence I do stuff in.

36 minutes ago, OysterMug said:

Yes. The cause is the same. The "fix" I described that I use can help with that, but it's only useful in the Sequencer.

Thanks! I'm working on a scene I'm about to sequence, so I'll et you know how it works out (if I can ever STFU and get back to work).

7 hours ago, EJAX said:

Worst is when I back up a frame to adjust something, and her hips start doing somersaults!

That typically happens when actors are linked.

You can either unlink them and leave them that way, or start at the end, unlink (pose will correct itself) and then relink the characters keyframe-by-keyframe from end-to-start until the pose is fixed. This can take an extremely long time if the pose is long and has a lot of keyframes.

8 hours ago, OysterMug said:

..relink the characters keyframe-by-keyframe from end-to-start until the pose is fixed...

I found out (quite by accident) that you can SOMETIMES (heavy emphasis on SOMETIMES) get it to stop that by activating multi-key editing and just touching the hip rotation . You don't have to actually change anything, just wiggle them enough that the game knows you did something.. And that will SOMETIMES reset it (famous last words).

And, as always, I assume no responsibility for any damage you might incur from taking my advice...

I'd like to say that trick worked for standard poses, but no... What SORT OF worked was inserting a single frame pose (anything) on the beginning of the timeline right before the problem pose, but it doesn't work for stringing poses together, and it only seems to work when I full-stop and restart the sequence. Just resetting brings back the delay. But at least it's something. I do a lot of bluescreen layers (multiple videos from a set camera angle) that I stitch together in Adobe Premiere -- Among other things, it lets me cram as many people as I want into a scene. I can do still camera shots in PoseEdit, but if I want to do a camera pan, I need to use the Sequencer. Until now, I was stuck doing looping poses in Sequencer, because I couldn't get anything to start when I wanted it to. This is hit-or miss, but like they say: a broken clock is right at least twice a day! I should be able to get something done now. Thanks!

5 hours ago, EJAX said:

What SORT OF worked was inserting a single frame pose on the beginning of the timeline...

I take it back... That got me close, but no cigar. Still doesn't perfectly sync. Might get something usable if I do enough takes though.

3 hours ago, EJAX said:

I take it back... That got me close, but no cigar. Still doesn't perfectly sync. Might get something usable if I do enough takes though.

Typically when this doesn't work, it's b/c the Interactive pose after it was badly configured (often not even needing to be Interactive, lacking the additional loops.)

• 3 weeks later...