[mod] Harem Doctrines

Harem Doctrines

This is a small mod that adds several marriage doctrines to the game:

Polygamy Doctrines:

- Expanded Polygamy (10 spouses)

- Advanced Polygamy (25 spouses)

- Superior Polygamy (50 spouses)

- Infinite Polygamy (replaces old Polygamic Harem, 100 spouses)

Consort & Concubine Doctrines:

- Small Harem (1 spouse, 10 consorts)

- Medium Harem (1 spouse, 25 consorts)

- Large Harem (1 spouse, 50 consorts)

- Infinite Harem (replaces old Infinite Harem, toned down to 100 consorts + 1 spouse)

Combined Doctrines:

- Polygamic Harem (4 spouses + 4 consorts)

- Managed Medium Harem (5 spouses + 25 consorts)

- Managed Large Harem (10 spouses + 50 consorts)

- Hetaerocracy (25 spouses + 100 consorts)

-----

Compatibility:

This mod should be compatible to everything if the game treats the files the way I think it does.

If not, it will be incompatible to other mods that modify "doctrine_marriage_type". In this case you can manually merge the files with a text editor like Notepad++.

I've temporarily removed the GUI modification, since it wasn't playing nice with several other mods.

-----

Known issues:

If you have more than 4 Spouses or Consorts, the UI doesn't display them properly. You can use "Better Character UI" from the Steam Workshop to display them.

-----

Future plans:

I plan to add a decision to let your harem comfort you to reduce stress based on the number of people you have. I need to figure out how to add custom decisions first though. Once that happens, I'm planning to add variation events similar to the things that can happen when you have a feast or go hunting.

Afterwards I'd like to add events that deal with inter-harem relationships. Having so many spouses or concubines/consorts around you ought to be interesting... ;)

Interesting mod and something I've been looking forward to as I felt it lacked something similar to that in the base game, but I think the "999" concubines limit can cause some serious problems, I can imagine it causing a huge lag problem in later stages of the game when a charismatic emperor starts sending concubine requests to anyone eligible.

As such, would it be possible to have a more reasonable limit, such as 10 or 30 as submod? :)

17 minutes ago, Dyceptius said:

Interesting mod and something I've been looking forward to as I felt it lacked something similar to that in the base game, but I think the "999" concubines limit can cause some serious problems, I can imagine it causing a huge lag problem in later stages of the game when a charismatic emperor starts sending concubine requests to anyone eligible.

As such, would it be possible to have a more reasonable limit, such as 10 or 30 as submod? :)

It probably impossible to fill those slots out while playing. The maximum I've had were around 8 spouses and already I drowned in children. The limits are basically not supposed to be limits at all, they're there because I can't set them to infinite.

That said, it shouldn't be a big deal to add steps to this, for example 10, 25, 50, 100, etc. I'm adding this to my todo list, but unless there are gamebreaking bugs from the high potential number, it's low priority.

Wow this type of mod was something I was hoping for in CK2 for the last several years, and it comes out for CK3 in the first few days. Goes to show how granular and flexible this game is for modding. 

Now one can roleplay a conquering mongol lord or non-abrahamic emperor properly, amazing. 

Editing the GUI in the previous game was a pain (after a while it would stack the portraits together) while in this one its built-in to expand out. Now one can see the ruler's stable of wives and concubines stretch out in full glory. 

@Dyceptius I'm unsure if it would cause issues. I noticed in previous mods for CK2 which made consorts effectively infinite the AI would be reluctant to go beyond several women at a time (never beyond a dozen iirc), even then that would be mostly limited to lustful characters. Perhaps it's best to take a wait and see approach here to see if lag is a major issue? If it is then maybe there could be a way to limit the large harem sizes to kings and emperors. 

@NightlinerSGS A great mod, I can't wait to try it out. If you want some inspiration for inter-harem relationships then how about take a look at the old Consort submod for CK2+ as it contains some relevant events. It's completely outdated in terms of code (it was subsumed into the main mod) but perhaps it could provide useful ideas in fleshing out harem events. I posted the old files up last year if you want to look at the code. Link here: 

The HaremDoctrines MOD file is giving an error for a wrong/non-existent path. I looked into the zip and the file already had:

path="C:/Users/NightlinerSGS/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings III/mod/HaremDoctrines"

I changed it to

path="mod/HaremDoctrines" 

which fixed the issue for me.

5 hours ago, Dyceptius said:

Is it even possible to send concubine requests? I've been unable to take any concubines except women in my court.

Here is my magic I have tried at altering GUI, atm it separates concubines/spouses from the parents/grandparents line, makes it so that they are the same as children and siblings. ie shows 7 wives (or consorts.... or both, each of them is now separate window thats invisible if you dont have them) and has the expand function like siblings and children.... the only problem I have noticed is that the expanded list now has transparent background where you can see the "normal" relations, even for the original expanded windows for siblings and children, but if you can live trough that it works just fine

window_character.gui

On 9/7/2020 at 7:02 PM, whateverdontcare said:

Is it even possible to send concubine requests? I've been unable to take any concubines except women in my court.

I haven't done this yet, but I think you can add people from your prison as concubines. That would mean you could "simply" abduct them from wherever they are.

This would be nice to tag with a family doctrine, for the spouses to be all from the same dinasty, like keeping it in the family, with spouses liking each other as well.

Even for people who aren't much into the incest thing (hah) and don't want they own family members on it, it would be nice to have a modifier event for dynasty members, like for example being King of England and having 3 princesses from Kingdom of France. Since they are sisters and know each other, would be nice to have a modifier like that. It would go along with the theme of getting wives from each country and would give another flavour to it. At least as a guy we all had this fantasy a girl, her sister and so on, it's the taboo flavour.

Anyway, thank you very much for your work.

Thanks for this mod! I was wondering if its possible to allow marriage based on gender but not relying on the gender law, for example, male are polygamic and female monogamic or other variations. I tried cheking the scripts but i think its relatable to the doctrine gender law itself and there is no parameter to change especifically marriages. 

Usually my problem with this is that AI is horny af and all my spouses, that are my subjects as well, marry without consent any peasent they can find, so keeping my lineage in check is a nightmare.

On 9/9/2020 at 7:14 PM, s520864 said:

This looks perfect. I might remove the GUI stuff from my mod again and just point people to this one instead, as it looks way cleaner than the thing I hacked together. ?

2 hours ago, FoxSinBan said:

Hi, do you know the doctrine ids so that i can change my religion in the console? I just finished reforming before I found this mod. I got it through the Paradox mod site btw

Sadly not. I just appended my two doctrines to the original ones, I didn't look at IDs at all. Will do though, since it would make the mod more compatible in the long run.

I found a fascinating but somewhat perplexing knock-on effect from having too many spouses/concubines - thus too many children. The too many children isn't the issue. The issue is stress!

When you have children some may end up dying; wars, prison, illness, whatever. A death to a sibling causes stress to every close relation that had a positive attitude of the deceased.

Normally this is manageable because in the normal game you might end up having like 20 children tops before you croak. A child dies and life goes on. You have a bunch of children this issue becomes exponential. If you have a lot of siblings in the game and one dies it affects all of them. I just came out of a session where I had 200 children. Now I have far less because they all died of stress. Hilariously sad.

In RL if you were in a huge family you could give a damn if one of your 200 siblings died. Not in CK3 because there is no scaling down of stress for huge well-connected families. Every life counts equally and stress is a nasty "unlegitimizable" bastard.

Use the mod, I like it, but use it smart. Take my advice, spread your seed sparingly. Don't fire hose down every courtier that comes knocking on your door...