I'm using Veydonsebrom and it's so dumb that I can literally see grass growing a few steps in front of me. I tried going to Skyrim.ini to adjust fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance and fGrassMinStartFadeDistance but that only fixed the vanilla grass. When I did the same to Veydonesebrom's ini, it didn't have an effect.

Any advice on this? It totally kills the immersion and I feel like some kind of druid with grass only growing 3 feet around me.

Edit: I switched to northern grass and the draw distance is still tiny (screenshot below). If I can find this mod's ini file, it would really help. The only grass mod with an ini file was Veydonsebrom but it didn't have the iGrassCellRadius and fGrassFadeRange settings. I tried increasing skyrim.ini's uGridsToLoad, but that just spawned animals farther away, grass stayed the same.

Skyrim Special Edition 8_12_2020 2_20_41 AM.png

Edit 2: I kinda fixed the issue. I just plugged in iGrassCellRadius and fGrassFadeRange in veydosebrom's ini. I got grass to grow from far away, but now it won't load anymore grass. 

Edit 3: Finally got it to work. Here are the INI settings I had to change.

Skyrim's INI

[Grass]
bAllowCreateGrass=1
bAllowLoadGrass=0
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=20000.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=20000.0000
iMinGrassSize=70

(If necessary)

[General]
sLanguage=ENGLISH
sTestFile1=Dawnguard.esm
sTestFile2=HearthFires.esm
sTestFile3=Dragonborn.esm

uGridsToLoad=9    <----add this if you don't have it
uExterior Cell Buffer=36

Skyrim Prefs INI

[Grass]
fGrassStartFadeDistance=25000.0000
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=25000.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=10000.0000

Veydosebrom INI

[Grass]
bAllowCreateGrass=1
bAllowLoadGrass=0
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=25000.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=10000.0000
iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=15
iMinGrassSize=70

I also learned that when you're adjusting bullshit like this. It helps to change your thinking from "maybe this edit will do it" to "I bet this won't work". Helps buffer the disappointment. I'm also going to bet this won't last long and there's more bullshit that comes from making these edits to skyrim's ini.

• 3 months later...

I fixed a similar problem by commenting out the bAllowLoadGrass=0 line from Skyrim.ini after reading somewhere that it's effectively a duplicate entry (obsolete) for bAllowCreateGrass

I guessed that it was competing with AlllowLoadGrass and sure enough, upon opening the game, rendering was done correctly afterwards. Might not be the actual reason but it worked for me. 

ref: https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Skyrim_INI/Grass

(not the link I originally read but at least it's a reference)

On 8/12/2020 at 9:23 AM, YellowCorn1212 said:

It helps to change your thinking from "maybe this edit will do it" to "I bet this won't work".

It helps to change your thinking from "I know, I'll just make ad hoc changes to my ini files and hope for the best" to "I'll do some research on what these ini files are about before I dive in".

Use Bethini rather than mess directly with your ini files.