Pantyhose Please

The game already includes a pair and you can change its design by exporting the main texture (aka multiplier) and modifying the alpha channel (white makes the material looks solid, black hides it and you get transparency using tones of gray).

Pantyhose_alpha.jpg

On my signature there’s a link to a series of tutorials that center on texture editing, it uses photoshop but there are alternatives like gimp, paint net, dxtbmp, etc.

1 hour ago, JoshQ said:

The game already includes a pair

From another post in General - I answered with the following:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Default EA has a couple - I'm guessing it's the High Waisted which is the issue, since the default while presentably sheer, are slightly low cut so they don't peek out above the tops of the 'default jeans and lower cut skirts'.

Is this the reason for a request? A higher waist on Hose?

Spoiler

396401297_DefaultPH.png.6fa88d482f5c76c54fa6da61b4c8fd9a.pngScreenshot.jpg.4be726447a8c53e43a557d302e5dcd26.jpg

>>> If so there is also a request and find post subsection:

https://www.loverslab.com/forum/89-request-find-the-sims-3/

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This newer post shows an image by erinc7214 which indeed has a much higher waistband. I spent some time on the internet myself looking and found nothing referencing a mod for the Sims 3 with a high-waisted pair of hose unfortunately. Is there a default EA pair I overlooked with a waistline as high as the Sims 4 offering?

On 6/6/2020 at 1:14 AM, landess said:

Is there a default EA pair I overlooked with a waistline as high as the Sims 4 offering?

I think there’s only one size.

Also if you want to elevate the ones made by EA you´ll also need a UV guide to see where you need to extend the fabric:

body_mesh_guide.png

This image is a little old and it’s inaccurate for garment/shoe making but for texture accessories works fine.

Thanks for the replies and your attention, it's very much appreciated. Josh, I'm referencing your modding tutorials, and hope to come up with something soon. Out of curiosity, wasn't there as stand-alone CAS that was separate from the game? Or was that TS2?

On 6/7/2020 at 1:44 PM, erinc7214 said:

wasn't there as stand-alone CAS that was separate from the game? Or was that TS2?

TS2 I think. To "preview" CC without TS3 you can use TSRWorkshop or a 3D editor (blender, milkshape, maya, etc).

• 1 month later...

Been referencing your tutorials, but haven’t had the time to do much, due to r/l stuff. Yes, was looking specifically at the waist band height and width. I had actually created some pantyhose cc for TS2, but that was 10-11 years ago. (Surprisingly, they’re still available to download on in sim adult.org)

eventually, I’d like to create control top, sheer to waist, and seamless styles, with the higher waistband. I just don’t have the time right now

Surprisingly, had tons of time today to attempt to create a pair. Total failure. Not having any experience with any of the modding programs (TSR, Gimp, ect.) only increased my level of frustration.

Even tried modifying thumbnails. Fail. Lets face it, a content creator.......I am not.

Therefore, if one of your most excellent and talented creators/modders would like to take up this small project when you might have a smidge of time, I would be most appreciative.

11 hours ago, erinc7214 said:

Lets face it, a content creator.......I am not.

I remember a dude called JoshWhathisname with the same problem, never heard of him again… wait a minute it was me the whole time! ?

I’m not going to lie, frustration and Sims 3 are tied to each other like jam and toast, bees and flowers, google and spying on you, etc. What you experienced is the same frustration me and countless people felt the first time we tried our luck at modding.

So the only advice I can give is have patience, 99.9999993% of modders don’t magically learn everything the first time (or the 50th time after that). It took me a lot of time at the beginning but nowadays the tools are way better and there’s people that can help (just don’t go overboard: small steps, one problem at a time).

Instead of using TSRW swap it for s3oc which can clone anything from your game files, after installing or extracting it you need to configure two things: the folder(s) where your game is installed (plus expansions if apply), and your “creator name” which can be anything you want.

s3oc_configuration.jpg

Restart the app and go to Tools / Search (Cloning / CAS also works but it will first scans and show everything.you.have.installed and can be overwhelming). On the box write ‘stockings’, then select ‘Resource name’ and then down below select ‘CAS part’, press search and wait a second or two).

s3oc_search.jpg

The one we need is ‘afAccessoryStockings_cottonFull’, select it and in the right panel press ‘Clone or fix’ and a new section will appear on the left and on the right we will now be able to change categories, for now leave it alone we need to be sure that ‘Include thumbnails’ is selected and also ‘Renumber/rename internally’, also ‘Enable compression’. Press ‘Start’ and select the location were you want to save your cloned “full stockings”.

s3oc_clone_options.jpg

What s3oc did is clone the stockings, meaning generate a new id or “serial number” using your creator name as reference and included all its textures and other components organized neatly inside a package. You can install it in your game and it will show it along the original without a problem, here’s the one I created:

JoshQ_afAccessoryStockings_cottonFull_49BBBAD1.package

The idea is to modify this image (I used s3pe to open the .package, right-click on it and select ‘Save DDS…’) to make the pantyhose larger or make any other change, after the image is edited we need to swap the texture, here I explain how to do it using s3pe.

s3pe_multiplier pantyhose.jpg

For editing I recommend dxtbmp which will allow us to separate the alpha and re-import it when we’re done and pain.net for editing, both are free and can replace photoshop for this kind of project. The image I attached some post above will help as reference for the height.

Give it a try (after taking a rest first).

Thank you Josh, will give it another go.

On the thumbnail subject, my biggest pet peeve is not being able to match the thumbnail in-game with the package file in the mods folder. Case in point, there are a great set of fishnet pantyhose on xSims.de submitted by Justafrog. Love them in game, but the thumbnails are identical for both the open and closed crotch versions. So I attempted to replace the thumbnails with these;

Screenshot-4.jpg.dc473b8851b775bf950967eb0391c039.jpgScreenshot.jpg.3c77fe2cd348657de96bb9decd9f5bf6.jpg

While the thumbnails worked, the fishnets didn't. There was an error that turned my Sims's skin black. I'll have to play with it some more, I guess

44 minutes ago, erinc7214 said:

While the thumbnails worked, the fishnets didn't. There was an error that turned my Sims's skin black. I'll have to play with it some more, I guess

Thumbnails must match the instance ID of the CASP they represent, and 2 items can not have the same CASP... only one will show. Some items can have 2 versions with the same CASP. These may have different and separate multiplier textures for each version. Thumbnails will match the instance ID, BUT in the group number, the last digit tells which version it matches. This is the same, even if only one version, but several colorings are used.

A way to make pantyhose as you want, is to use the texture from a Sim skins package. It already has shading. Just cut out for the legs, and make the waist as high as YOU want it to be. There are many ways to make them semi see through. In GIMP, opacity can be changed. You can reduce alpha. You can simply use a light erase. Then, decide how wide you want the waistband, copy and paste only that part, and the waistband will now be more opaque.

On 7/31/2020 at 9:25 AM, erinc7214 said:

There was an error that turned my Sims's skin black

Probably you also replaced or deleted some other files when changing the thumbnail, be sure to only replace the one with the tag ‘THUM’ (PNG format, 256x256). The process is the same I described in the "making anime paints" thread.

s3pe_thumbnail.jpg

Switched over to Paint.net, like it better than Gimp. Came up with a thumbnail, but learning paint is taking time. Thank god for youtube. Speaking of which, I'm sure there are content creators on YT. Who would you recommend?

On 8/2/2020 at 8:21 AM, erinc7214 said:

Who would you recommend?

I don’t follow anyone in particular for image editing (or sims modding), I just type my search and try to find someone whose not a professional because their advice is just for… well, professionals and doesn’t necessarily apply to this game.

• 4 months later...

Still haven't given up on this, but I'm at the point of surrender. Not having enough free time is also a major hinderance. I feel like I'm right on the verge of figuring this out, but...nothing seems to work. Very VERY frustrating.

How hard can creating a high waisted pair of pantyhose be?

Ok, had a moment! Instead of struggling through with trying to learn paint.net and trying to make sense of TSRW, I went the different route of trying to convert the TS4 package to TS3. I now have the object file, 5 .DDS files, and 26 days left on the Milkshape trial license.

With luck, I may have something by the weekend

36 minutes ago, erinc7214 said:

I now have the object file

If you are thinking to convert a TS4 mesh to TS3, it is far more work than necessary for a simple accessory overlay, such as pantyhose. Doing that, you now will have to match mesh seams to TS3, as well as UV seams, and image texture seams.

I don't use paint.net, but imagine it is similar to GIMP? It allows image layers to work with? I would think that the easiest way to do this, is to "repurpose" something you probably already have... af Sim skin texture. Use s3pe to copy af body texture to your work file. I will upload a basic UV map of af body, with EA waist seam marked by red dot. Open your skin in paint.net. Use desaturate to make it gray tones like any multiplier. You may need to make it a little darker. Use gaussian blur to make image less defined. Do a little, then more, then more, until you are happy with it. Now, place the UV map in a layer above. Now, simply use cut tool to remove parts of the texture that you do not want to be the pantyhose. You can use hand cut tool to follow the row just below the EA waist seam to have a more natural appearance. 

Next, reduce image opacity. Several options. Erase image by 50% to 75%, depending on how sheer you want them. For waist band, copy the area, and paste it directly back.

body nude UV.zip

On 7/31/2020 at 4:25 PM, erinc7214 said:

Just a thought :

Did you check that one from XSims ?

May be easier to modify to your expectation.... File name is "xSIMS_Fem_Garter_Belt_Panty_1,package"

xSIMS_Fem_Garter_Belt_Panty_1.png

Clydie,

I've been using those from xSims for a few years (love them). Tried using them as a base, but they didn't extract like I thought they would. IIRC, they didn't contain any of the layers I was expecting after reading through several guides.

BTW, that's the waistline I was shooting for, seems much more realistic. Never been a fan of hip huggers

39 minutes ago, erinc7214 said:

the waistline I was shooting for

Even easier to do what I suggested then. Start with those pantyhose and remove everything except the waistband. Lay that image over the desaturated skin. Use the waistband as your guide to cut the top of the skin, remove the arms from the skin then remove from the sides of the legs. Decrease image opacity to what you like for sheerness, and merge the waistband down. With that image, you can make a specular if needed. Then in TSRW, 2 options. For accessory, open a pair of stockings and replace the images with yours. For a bottom, open af bottom briefs, and replace those images. Bottom briefs does not use a detailed normals map, so you will not need to replace it.

Got time to work it all of a sudden. Extracting just the waistband is proving to be a royal pain. Also fighting the transparencies. But at least it's showing up in game!

5 hours ago, erinc7214 said:

just the waistband

Again, I don't know paint.net, however, GIMP has a free hand cutting tool. Paint.net should have the same. Simply trace the bottom edge of the waistband, and remove the parts you do not need that are below. 

You shouldn't need to bother with transparencies. Keep the waistband separate. Make your pantyhose. You can use the eraser tool between 25% and 50% to make them sheer. Then place the waistband layer on top, and merge down.