Asking for a bit of help to get started

Ive lurked through the forums from time to time over the past couple of years but havnt tried to mod Skyrim as of yet due to my old laptop was basically a potato...  But now thanks to my awesome other half I have a shiny new computer and ready to play with and looking to give this a try, but as you might of guessed I have many questions...  Now I know there are a ton of forum posts scattered all around with lots of information but thats kind of the problem... TO MUCH INFO!!  Ive never attempted something like this before and trying to grasp from reading post after post is a bit overwhelming,  so I am hoping you all out there can kind of help walk me through this by answering my questions and maybe walking me through a few steps.

Ok so here goes.

1. Which version of Skyrim should I use?  The original or the newer updated one?  I have all the expansions and was given the newer version for free on steam so I can install either.

2.  After I have Skyrim all installed what are the baseline mods I need to use adult mods and in what order do I install them in?

Just want to say ahead of time thanks to anyone who can help, I appreciate the time youve taken out of your day to help a newbie! 

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I would recommend you also look for getting-started-guides on youtube.

Modding the game generally happens in 3 steps:

1. preperation: getting a mod manager through which you install your mods and installing other must have pugins

2. modding skyrim visiually with new models textures and other cosmetic stuff (this is usualle very easy dumping of stuff into the game)

3. gameplay altering mod: these mod, including adult mods, have all their own requirements and sometimes installation procederes.

I use the ledgendary edition, just because there are a bit more mods for available then for special edition, especially from the older ones. But a lot are available for both version by now.                                     

I personally can recomment this guide by @donttouchmethere for getting started and mod organizer as my manager.

After that just go through the top list on the nexus and pick and choose what you like.

Just keep in mind that modding isn't done in an afternoon. You can spend days looking for and installing mods and reading guides and watching tutorials. Important is to just install a few at once and than test if everything works properly. Then install more, When you have your final setup, than you can just start a new game.

Once you want to start with the loverslab stuff you first want SexLab framework, the base mod, and than some plugins that actually start sex scenes.

I recommend you look at the SL Index for a first overview or just browse the downloads list.

Some aditional personal recommendations:

Spoiler

This is my go-to channel when looking for interesting mods.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Brodual/videos

this is the enb I use and a list of visual mods

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30936/

to get started with adult mod I would recomend
SL solutions

SL defeat

SL arousal

SL Relationship Dialogue System (my own ;)

3 hours ago, MistressWolf said:

Which version of Skyrim should I use?  The original or the newer updated one?  I have all the expansions and was given the newer version for free on steam so I can install either.

LE has more mods and most mods are still developed for LE and just ported over to SE

SE is more stable

Thats basically the biggest difference between the two. If you dont have a big list of things you want to mod already, Id recommend SE, simply because you wont really notice the "lack" of mods if you dont know how what mods are out there. Cant miss what you dont know about.. .. basically...

All the "big" mods are aviable in both versions.

Note that discussions about "Which version is better" exist since SE was first released and there are proper arguments for both versions. There are people that tell you to stick to LE and people that say play SE. There are hunderds of discussions about this

3 hours ago, MistressWolf said:

Ok so installing SSE and trying to go by that guide but.... ya its a bit confusing when you get further down on that list..   Thanks for the help, hopefully I dont break it to bad..

Yeah, that guide might be a bit much for a complete beginner. Also you don't need everything shown in it, unless you want to mod your game into oblivion^^

To start just look at the tutorials you find under videos in the mod organizer 2 page. those will bring you up to speed on how to use it and that's the most imortant thing in the beginning. They propably also advise you on SKSE and FNIS, which you will definately need.

After that, just look at "the X top mods" videos to get inspirations and pick what you like^^

7 hours ago, MistressWolf said:

Ok so installing SSE and trying to go by that guide but.... ya its a bit confusing when you get further down on that list..   Thanks for the help, hopefully I dont break it to bad..

3 hours ago, Guffel said:

Yeah, that guide might be a bit much for a complete beginner.

I hope ya don't talk about my mod lists and stability fixes.

They are only for LE!

SE has it's own guides.

How to use  MO:

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/136543-mod-organizer-2-other-tools-everything-you-need-to-know-to-start-playing-skyrim-se-with-mods/

The basic mods and more advanced stuff:

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/118460-skyrim-se-for-beginners-v-215-3bbb-and-hdt-smp/

Ok I have run into a weird issue.  I had FNIS working just fine finally... we will not speak about that three hour fight.. but all of a sudden when I go to start it through MO and now I can see one window rapidly flickering open and closed and the FNIS window never comes up.....

If anyone has the time to maybe help me fight with this my Discord is Andrexea #6461  And thank you in advance

1 hour ago, donttouchmethere said:

I hope ya don't talk about my mod lists and stability fixes.

They are only for LE!

Yes, now that you mention it I realized it says it in the title^^ I must have overlooked that ?

I usually play in LE so I often forget that SE is a thing^^

Ok got the Issue with FNIS figured out, apparentally it was a weird glitch, but when playing through the normal campaign it crashes under the keep when the spiders start to attack. Doesnt matter if I sneak half way through the room, try to attack them myself or let the stormcloak guy run in the second the spiders go to attack it CTD's..  I know this area is suppose to be buggy but would really like to do the normal campaign as I havnt finished it yet.

Well I just started a new game with Another Life mod so no longer having that issue but now I am getting an error saying I dont have PapyrusUtil, which I do, I have even tried reinstalling it to no avail...   

Hope someone can help with this, kind of wanting to get back in and play.

On 5/24/2020 at 5:03 PM, MistressWolf said:

Ok so installing SSE and trying to go by that guide but..

Just to be clear, are you currently using Skyrim Special Edition (SE) or Legendary Edition (LE)?

The Conglomerate blog is meant for LE, and if you try to follow the steps you are bound to run into issues.

19 hours ago, MistressWolf said:

I know this area is suppose to be buggy but would really like to do the normal campaign as I havnt finished it yet.

Vanilla Skyrim is indeed buggy, but with the proper modding it is actually quite stable. 

1 hour ago, MistressWolf said:

I am getting an error saying I dont have PapyrusUtil

If it is installed and activated, do you have anything that overwrites the mod?

If you are on LE, follow the guide carefully step by step and do not rush it. The conglomerate blogs are super helpful.

If you are on SE, you will need to find other guides to follow.

Ok just wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped!  Ive got it it working pretty good, just a few issues ive ran in because it seems to many mod creators think you already have 20 years of modding experience under your belt and let a drunken monkey type out there installation instructions....  And then going to the post section is just a horribal idea because you have ten different people saying ten different ways to fix an issue they swear works, and it only breaks things even more...

7 hours ago, MistressWolf said:

you have ten different people saying ten different ways to fix an issue they swear works

As you gain experience in modding the game you will slowly understand the files more, and have a rough idea of what is causing issues with the game.

This also explains the 'Drunken Monkey' instructions as most people here already have an idea on how to install a mod, and the modder sees no point in writing a lengthy installation guide.

The thing about modding is that the same common issue (e.g. CTD) may have dozens of different causes, so people who swear by their fix may not be entirely wrong.

Anywhere from bad mesh to scripting to memory issues and even animations could be the culprit. This is why you don't install a whole bunch of mods in one go :(