When I failed getting permissions

57 minutes ago, A.J. said:

The point is why the mod's unfinished and noone can touch it

So, who is supposed to judge how complete a mod is or not? I don't think a general consensus will work to say "Okay, this many people agree this mod is unfinished and thereby doesn't qualify to be protected by copyright" I wish it did because then some half- complete games would be public domain! :cool:

14 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

So, who is supposed to judge how complete a mod is or not? I don't think a general consensus will work to say "Okay, this many people agree this mod is unfinished and thereby doesn't qualify to be protected by copyright" I wish it did because then some half- complete games would be public domain! :cool:

I'm obviously not talking about a fully playable wip which is considered a wip because extra features could be added in the future, because every mod can be considered in that state. And in those cases, you could always rely on making another mod that expands it. I'm more referring to the clear cases where the mod is clearly unfinished, because it's a draft, because it's clearly stated in the description or in posts, this doesn't include a mod which could have unresolved bugs or future updates of other mods make it not working correctly (some problems can come out with time).  So if you originally know that the mod is unfinished, and you have some plans, and after a while you change idea, it really doesn't take a lot to drop a line on the description.

6 hours ago, A.J. said:

So if you originally know that the mod is unfinished, and you have some plans, and after a while you change idea, it really doesn't take a lot to drop a line on the description.

What? Open permissions if the author knows they're not going to finish it? Yeah, I agree. But, I think most authors always intend to go back and work on things in the future and some of them just never do. I haven't opened permissions on one of my little mods because I want to complete what I originally set out to do and I don't think anybody else will do it even if I opened them.

Also, you put the time and effort into something and it kinda becomes your child. You create it with a vision in mind and want to be sure that vision is realized the way you wanted/needed it to be until you're "done" with it. Then I think you should open permissions.

È quello che volevi dire?

Heh, I guess if you love your child, if you two will separate then you'd prefer it to be adopted than leaving it on its own. Or it would be just selfish.

It's a matter of approaches. Does it make sense to leave a mod uploaded with no permissions and you are not reachable to be asked? yes, people can still enjoy it or learn from it. Leaving a draft, instead, well now that makes less sense imho.

40 minutes ago, A.J. said:

Does it make sense to leave a mod uploaded with no permissions and you are not reachable to be asked?

No. It doesn't. A "draft" even less so. But since when do people think rationally? Maybe they're worried someone will come along and do it better? Maybe they left it that way as "fuck you" to the host site? Idk. It's not like all MA's cooperate with each other since they're a pretty moody bunch. Quite the contrary most times from what I've witnessed with LL seemingly being one of the few exceptions.

For instance, you see mod authors pull down their shit all the time in a tantrum (on other sites) to protest something or whatever and all they're doing is punishing the people that like and want to use the mod.

15 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

No. It doesn't. But since when do people think rationally? Maybe they're worried someone will come along and do it better? Maybe they left it that way as "fuck you" to the host site? Idk. It's not like all MA's cooperate with each other. Quite the contrary most times from what I've witnessed.

For instance, you see mod authors pull down their shit all the time in a tantrum (on other sites) to protest something or whatever and all they're doing is punishing the people that like and want to use the mod.

I gave you two good reasons why it does make sense and you still said no. Just to drive the stuff on the "mod authors pull down their shit" argument which is not exactly the same as "let's upload a wip draft mod we'll never manage to finish and deny permissions to others" which makes sense as eating a granite rock.

48 minutes ago, A.J. said:

I gave you two good reasons why it does make sense and you still said no. Just to drive the stuff on the "mod authors pull down their shit" argument which is not exactly the same as "let's upload a wip draft mod we'll never manage to finish and deny permissions to others" which makes sense as eating a granite rock.

Actually, I do think if you never intend to work on a mod again or just can't- regardless of of the state of the mod - the MA should consider opening permissions- I know I will when I'm pretty sure I'm done with mine. This so that other people can come along and build on it if they want. I know the "cathedral" idea isn't popular among most groups, but I think the more open source stuff that is out there, the more opportunity there is make things better. Just my shitty opinion.

But, it is especially "not fair" to leave a wip under lock and key with no way to reach the author.

On 2/19/2020 at 3:03 PM, steelpanther24 said:

If you use the resources or assets from a mod (like a hair style or make up or clothes) with no changes to that asset or resource, then that is a dependency and does not require that modders permission to use.  However, you MUST list it as a requirement and you SHOULD give credit.     If you edit the resources/assets/esp files to "make it better", then you should obtain permission.  

Unfortunately, there is a wild difference on what counts as abandoned ware with regards to mods.    If someone hasn't touched their GTA Vice city mod for 19 years, does that make it open?   Without any copyright laws to cover us, the modders should come to a collective agreement on what to do for abandoned mods (i.e. how long does a mod need to remain dormant.).   This issue came up with Crusaders King II mods (Dark World and Dark World Reborn (now defunct, I believe).  

I have given credit to the original modder. Sorry, I should've mentioned that.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 1:08 PM, Seijin8 said:

Main thought is:  Don't write as if you are having a conversation when you don't speak the language well.  Be concise, speak simply.

Most of what you posted makes zero sense.

Apologized for bad english, stated they have a mild form of dyslexia, english probably isnt their native language, and you have to be rude about it. Way to go.

1 hour ago, Ankahet said:

Apologized for bad english, stated they have a mild form of dyslexia, english probably isnt their native language, and you have to be rude about it. Way to go.

All of which was said after my comment, which was a month ago.

The OP and I already let it go.  Odd that you can't.

1 hour ago, Seijin8 said:

All of which was said after my comment, which was a month ago.

The OP and I already let it go.  Odd that you can't.

Not odd considering I had not read this thread before today. But, you probably didnt consider that. Anyhow, have a nice day.

• 4 months later...

When I used to ask permissions, I had a rule where, if the request was not answered in 48 hours, then it meant a "yes" by omission.

Today I dont ask permissions anymore. If something is worth to be used as a resource, I just use it.

If there is something I learned from those discussions in the gmad, was that content creators and mod fixers are "thieves" and "pirates", and you should restrict yourself to vanilla resources if you want to "fit in".

Many mods in the Nexus are incomplete. For one, mods which adds armor and weapons to leveled lists dont have smelter recipes, so you cant loot them for resources.

Then, you have the case for armor mods which are not added to leveled lists, so you never see them in the game, you have to craft it and put it in some follower. But you dont always play with that follower, so the armor dont shine in the game. It become just a piece of parlor modding, meant for screenarchery and endorsements.

I host mods in other sites today, not just the Nexus. You should consider doing it. For now, I also host in LL, TESA and ModDB. But I'm always looking for more places to upload stuff. Also, make a blog and store your mods/tweaks in a cloud, so you can keep it organized. You should also consider making different versions of the same mod, and upload a "vanilla" version to the Nexus.