[FIXED] Followers won't attack with melee weapons

Apap

Hey guys,

I have come across a strange issue with my followers - they simply won't attack the enemy if they're equipped with a melee weapon:

Whenever I enter battle, they draw their sword/axe/etc. but will only block when engaged. I have checked in different battles and without interefing to make sure it's not just normal defending and my character is simply too fast at killing, but it's always like that. If I don't interfere, the follower will keep blocking until they eventually die.

What's interesting, if I equip them with a bow or a staff (so in essence ranged weapons), they will attack the enemy just like they are supposed to and without any issues. 

I'm using just one follower tweak mod (UFO) and some of the popular custom followers like Rosa, Yuriana and Mango. It needs to be noted here that the issue affects both vanilla followers like Lydia and the custom ones, with the weird exception of Yuriana (she just owns everything as usual).

I tried reinstalling UFO and made sure that it's at the very end of the load order as suggested on the mod page, but it had no effect. It also does not matter if I'm running with just one follower or multiple at the same time (Yuriana will melee, others will not).

Has anyone encountered any issues like this? I appreciate any and all tips/ suggestions how to resolve this.

Thanks in advance!

[FIX]:

Removing UFO, replacing it with Amazing Follower Tweaks and registering the followers in-game for the mod made them fight again.

13 minutes ago, Apap said:

Has anyone encountered any issues like this?

Yea it is a vanilla bug been around forever and follower overhauls help but not really. What I have found when this happens take their weapons dismiss them send them home whatever and leave the cell they are in. Play for a few minute quit and restart the game. Go recruit follower and give them a weapon they should be normal again.... this works every time for me hope it works for you.

20 hours ago, woodsman30 said:

Yea it is a vanilla bug been around forever and follower overhauls help but not really. What I have found when this happens take their weapons dismiss them send them home whatever and leave the cell they are in. Play for a few minute quit and restart the game. Go recruit follower and give them a weapon they should be normal again.... this works every time for me hope it works for you.

I tried your method on Rosa but it didn't work - she still keeps only blocking :/

Maybe I should try cleaning the follower mods with TESEdit ?

4 hours ago, Apap said:

I tried your method on Rosa but it didn't work - she still keeps only blocking :/

Maybe I should try cleaning the follower mods with TESEdit ?

Strange.... So dumb question does your follower have one-handed skill? Followers may not use a weapon if they have no skill in it even if it is a great weapon... Outside of that ....those tricks always worked for me... If you find a fix post it for reference for others.

33 minutes ago, woodsman30 said:

even if it is a great weapon

Like a greatsword?

1411265605_Nohuntingbows.thumb.jpg.e1b48c73a043d8246c63ffb419cd7b85.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. I miss them. Fine body of men those gels.

On a more serious note, it's not something I've noticed but I generally alter the esp before they get in the game and I use EFF. I wouldn't bother cleaning the esp, that wont do anything.

Rosa  (Round-Bottom?) I haven't tried for some reason. Yuriana I wouldn't bother with and Mango is part of Honeypopcorn's Skryrim Overhaul but not one of the couple of HSO girls I use.

3 hours ago, woodsman30 said:

Strange.... So dumb question does your follower have one-handed skill? Followers may not use a weapon if they have no skill in it even if it is a great weapon... Outside of that ....those tricks always worked for me... If you find a fix post it for reference for others.

I check through UFO which type of weapon a follower is most skilled with and use what's best for them. Rosa is best with 2H weapons, so I gave her a dwarven great sword at first. When I noticed she wasn't fighting with it, I switched it with a 2h axe but that didn't work either. Then I tested the bow and she was using it no problem even though her skill with it is only half of her 2H stat. At some point I gave her some looted staves as I was running low on carry capacity and that's how I learned that she would attack with them as well - even dual wield. 

Same goes for Lydia - according to UFO, she's best with 1H and shield so that's what I gave her. Just like Rosa, she doesn't use it to attack.

Now, Yuriana is a different story - as I said in OP, she fights no problem, even though she runs around with a 2H axe atm, so not her weapon of choice (she's also best with 1H + shield).

Something seems to be broken with those individual followers. When I think about it, at some point I ordered either of them to relax inside Lakeview Manor and then left them there for some time while running around Skyrim doing quests - didn't want multiple followers at that time and later to bother collecting them from their separate home locations. Maybe that's what messed up their behaviour? Can't really say if that was when they started glitching out as I didn't pay attention to them until recently: Yuriana is basically a one-woman-army and usually manages to clean sweep everything before the rest of my followers reach her - only after I dismissed her was I able to see the problem :/ 

I will look through console commands and see if I can reset those characters - maybe that will help.

I don't think that the skills come into it. I find that they use the best weapon available. Best in terms of damage. I have had followers pick up and start to use staves even though they have not been set to loot and have no magic skills or perks. I don't give followers weapons to carry specifically because they will change their weapon.

Give one of your followers e.g. a steel, elven and ebony sword and see which they go with. Then try with e.g. dagger, sword and staff of fireballs.

43 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

I don't think that the skills come into it. I find that they use the best weapon available. Best in terms of damage. I have had followers pick up and start to use staves even though they have not been set to loot and have no magic skills or perks. I don't give followers weapons to carry specifically because they will change their weapon.

Give one of your followers e.g. a steel, elven and ebony sword and see which they go with. Then try with e.g. dagger, sword and staff of fireballs.

Well, it's not really a matter of the follower picking up what's best from what they have available, because I make sure that they have only 1 weapon on them and it's the one I want them to use (exception being when I need them to be pack mules, but on such occasions I give them stuff that is worse than what they have equipped so that they don't change it automatically).

The way I understand the system is that the stats displayed on a weapon are just base without skill modifiers, that's why I give my followers what they are best with. This way I ensure that they are most efficient. Sure, I could give everyone a 2H warhammer because that's what deals most damage and they would still equip it because of the game's system. However, if the follower does not have high skill in 2H weapons, modifiers will be low so they will swing it once a year and with not that much extra damage on top of the base. So if the follower has 90 points in 1H and 40 in 2H, I think it's way better to give them a good 1H weapon because they will do much better with it overall.

I think that my problem is not related to that anyway. As I said, my followers are always equipped with a weapon that is not only corresponding to their skill levels, but is also the best in terms of base stats among what they potentially may be carrying at the time. Consequently, the fact that they are not attacking must be a case of bugging out. When I tested bows and staves I also made sure those were the only things they were carrying, and they had no issues with using them.

On 1/23/2020 at 9:26 PM, Apap said:

I have come across a strange issue with my followers - they simply won't attack the enemy if they're equipped with a melee weapon:

That problem is caused by the IA of the game. Each action of any NPC is made with packages and the game have diferent packages for each situation like default, follow, relax, combat...

Any mod can change the packages of the game and add it to any NPC. Some specific followes, like Yuriana, have personaliced packages for all the situations, including combat, but others followers only have follow and relax packages while left the combat be managed automatically by the game.

When the NPC's make weird things is because are executing weird AI packages. But i not know a mod that can show what exact package is executing an exact NPC in a exact moment. For that, i create my own utility mod and i share it when a player have a specific AI problem like this.

AI Package Manager.rar

Download it and install with your manager, load your savegame and look the spells.

The mods add some specific spells to manage the AI of the NPC's and you must use AIPM Get package.

The spell is not beatifull but works. Launch it against any NPC and open the console. You must see:

Spoiler

TESV 2020-01-25 13-01-26-85.jpg

Go to any combat with yours followers and launch the spell against them while they are in combat.

Launch some spells to each follower and look the console. The spell must say the combat AI package that is ussing the follower.

The only necesary data is the first two numbers/letters of the code of the AI package that represent, in exadecimal format, the code of the mod. Now you can look your pluging list and see what mod have that code because that exact mod is the cause of all yours problems. Remove it and be happy.

In my case, Beastes use the combat AI package 9B from their own mod, Recorder use 00 from base Skyrim, Serana use 02 from Dawnguard and Cara use 86 from AFT(Amazing Follower Tweaks)

Remember the code is EXADECIMAL. In my case of Cara, the number 86 mean the mod 134. Use a calculator to convert yours codes or use Copy Load Order in LOOT for have the codes in decimal and exadecimal.

That looks like a useful tool - thanks! :)

My current theory is that it is UFO which is causing the issue - I think that the dialog option which unlocks the follower's inventory for management ('you could dress better') may be causing the issue once initiated. I'll be playing around with a fresh follower later and see if my suspicion is right. I'll also use your mod to confirm and post an update if I learn something.

On 1/25/2020 at 1:32 PM, GenioMaestro said:

Go to any combat with yours followers and launch the spell against them while they are in combat.

Launch some spells to each follower and look the console. The spell must say the combat AI package that is ussing the follower.

The only necesary data is the first two numbers/letters of the code of the AI package that represent, in exadecimal format, the code of the mod. Now you can look your pluging list and see what mod have that code because that exact mod is the cause of all yours problems. Remove it and be happy.

In my case, Beastes use the combat AI package 9B from their own mod, Recorder use 00 from base Skyrim, Serana use 02 from Dawnguard and Cara use 86 from AFT(Amazing Follower Tweaks)

Remember the code is EXADECIMAL. In my case of Cara, the number 86 mean the mod 134. Use a calculator to convert yours codes or use Copy Load Order in LOOT for have the codes in decimal and exadecimal.

Ok, I checked Rosa and Lydia with your tool and it turns out they both use 00109124 package in combat, so it's a base game script if I understand it right.

Now the question is why isn't it working properly. The tool didn't point at any mod, which means that either that script is broken or something is blocking it. 

2 hours ago, Apap said:

Ok, I checked Rosa and Lydia with your tool and it turns out they both use 00109124 package in combat, so it's a base game script if I understand it right. 

Now the question is why isn't it working properly. The tool didn't point at any mod, which means that either that script is broken or something is blocking it. 

Is a base game Package and, probably, other mod is modifying it.

Open your entire pluging list with Tes5Edit and search the code. Press in EditorID to order it in alphabetical way and look what mods are changing that exact record (00109124) and the others records related to PlayerFollower. My record 00109124 is not modified but my AFT change others records:

Spoiler

image.png

The problem can not be related to that others record because your problem happend only in combat.

Then, a mod must change the record PlayerFollowerCombatOverridePackageExterior.

But maybe a mod are activating it with script. Open the tab Referenced By and look what mods have a reference to that record:

Spoiler

image.png

I only have Skyrim and BeeingFemale. If you have others mods try disabling it. That others mod can dinamically activate that Package and causing the problem.

The last posibility is that you not get the correct code but this point is in my other post:

On 1/25/2020 at 1:32 PM, GenioMaestro said:

Launch some spells to each follower and look the console

Open the game again, go to a combat with yours followers and constantly launch the spell AIPM Get Package over your follower in a impulsive way opening the console each 3 or 5 spells to determine if the combat package is dinamically changed by script.

Other option is give a bow or magic staf to your follower and look what code you get. Then, remove the bow or magic staf ussing Manipulator, because in combat you can not trade, and launch the spell a lot of times immediately after close the trade window to try catch the changes in the codes of the diferent packages.

For example, in my original image Cara is ussing the Package 860588D2 but correspond to TweakFollowerChattyPackage and mean I fire the spell while they are making a coment and i not get the correct code of the combat package. In the same way you can get a incorrect code. If you get diferent codes we must verify each code.

@GenioMaestro, I checked the record for 00109124 and it is not overwritten by anything.

I would like to check if removing UFO would solve the issue, because I still think that mod is most likely responsible. Here I encountered a bit of a problem: I unistalled it according to the guide posted on the mod's page (dismissed all followers, made sure that followercount is 0 in console, talked to the bug 3 times and saved) and unchecked the mod in MO2 list. Unfortunately, when trying to load the save I made after the in-game deletion procedure, I get a message saying that the save relies on content that is no longer present and then CTD when confirming the load.

My guess is that some other mods may have had UFO patches in their FOMODs, but can't remember which. Supposedly you can check that in TES5Edit so that you can reinstall the mods without the UFO patches. Do you know how can I do that? I've been poking around TES5Edit but can't seem to figure it out :/ 

34 minutes ago, Apap said:

Unfortunately, when trying to load the save I made after the in-game deletion procedure, I get a message saying that the save relies on content that is no longer present and then CTD when confirming the load.

That is a normal problem that happend when you try remove mods.

Be sure you have Load Game CTD Fix and try again. If problem persist you have some solutions.

One solution is start a New Game and while you are in the Alternate Start cell try load that savegame.

Other option is open the console while you are in the Main Menu, type "coc qasmoke" and when you are in the qasmoque cell try load that savegame.

I presume you have the necesary Stability Tools like SKSE Memory Manager, Crash Fixes 12 and  ENB with Boost mode correctly configured but revise it.

1 hour ago, GenioMaestro said:

That is a normal problem that happend when you try remove mods.

Be sure you have Load Game CTD Fix and try again. If problem persist you have some solutions.

One solution is start a New Game and while you are in the Alternate Start cell try load that savegame.

Other option is open the console while you are in the Main Menu, type "coc qasmoke" and when you are in the qasmoque cell try load that savegame.

I presume you have the necesary Stability Tools like SKSE Memory Manager, Crash Fixes 12 and  ENB with Boost mode correctly configured but revise it.

Thanks a bunch for the tips - qasmoke did the trick :)

As for the UFO theory, that was not the issue sadly - followers keep blocking even without that mod.

I'll spam the AIPM Get Package like you suggested and see if I can spot any changes. 

@GenioMaestro, I did how you suggested and spammed AIPM Get Package at Lydia while she was being pinched to death by a mudcrab and in one instance I got 870E9899. I ran it through a hexadecimal converter and it turned out to be 135. 

Now this is a bit weird because number 135 in my load order is Seranaholic, so just an appearance mod which should not have anything to do with combat packages. On the other hand, 135 in the plugin list is SL defeat, but that's a mod I installed recently and when the issue was already there, so I don't think it's the cause. I'll spam a bit more and see if I can reproduce the result.

EDIT: Ok, so 870E9899 seems to pop up whenever Lydia is going down to bleedout. Another one I got was 0005C84B when she was just standing with drawn weapon (not in combat). However when she was being attacked, the tool consistently showed 00109124 :/ 

Maybe I should try reinstalling Skyrim in Steam? Perhaps the package is corrupted or is missing something.

@GenioMaestro, @woodsman30, I kinda found a fix - more like a workaround really. Reinstalling Steam + Skyrim didn't solve the issue (although it helped with a few other mods), so I tried installing Amazing Follower Tweaks and lo and behold, it helped: once I enabled the followers in the mod and assigned their combat styles they actually started fighting as they should.

Feels a bit like putting a new coat of paint over it rather than fixing the issue properly, but hey - if it works, who cares lol

Archived