Unofficial Skyrim SE GOG Compatibility Thread

Hello denizens of the lewd modding world. I come to you today in hopes of consolidating support and information regarding the non-DRM version of Skyrim SE/AE released by GOG.

**Cue the Belethor voice**

My hope is to create a single thread where we can share, discuss, and help one another as our favorite game FINALLY traverses into the world of NON-DRM / NON Creation Club BS / and NON_FUCKING UP MY GAME WITH YOUR INCIPID UPDATES FUCKING BETHESDA.....ahem....umm....yes....anyway. 

In this thread, feel free to post links to known compatible mods that work with the GOG version of Skyrim. You can also ask for help modding the GOG version of Skyrim. 

The general rules of the thread are as follows:

1 - Please only post links to mods that have 100% been confirmed as compatible with GOG. 

2 - If you are asking for support, please do some preliminary research and make attempts to help yourself before asking for assistance. 

3 - When asking for support, please include logs, screencaps, etc. Help us help you!

4 - No fighting over which version (Steam or GOG) is better....we all have our preferences and reasons and I don't care to share mine or know yours.

I love you all and I love this community! Let's get to some lewd modding! 

Current list of important mods. Mostly requirements to other mods as well as bug fixes and patches

Mod Organizer 2 - Make sure to download the GOG/EPIC Games Support plugin in the optional files.

SKSE64 - Choose the Third one down (GOG Version)

SKYUI - Works fine on my install

Address Library for SKSE Plugins AiO - Choose Anniversary Edition even if you purchased SSE version.

SSE Engine Fixes - Choose the 1.6.629 Version

Bug Fixes SSE - Choose the 1.6.629 Version

USSEP - Current Version 4.2.8 works on my install 

Racemenu - Use the GOG Version in optional files

J Containers - Current unofficial build

PapyrusUtil - Use GOG Version

Sexlab Framework - READ THE MODPAGE

Schlongs of Skyrim - Install then use this workaround - HERE

More Nasty Critters - Works as long as proper GOG friendly requirements are installed

Scaleform Translation++ - Conversion of original for GOG

Whose Quest is it Anyway - Conversion of original for GOG

Better Jumping

Player Eyes Blink Fix

Equip Enchantment Fix

Enhanced Reanimation

NPC AI Process Positioning Fix - Conversion of original for GOG

Scrambled Bugs - Choose AE GOG Version

Powerofthree's Tweaks

Stagger Direction Fix - Conversion of original for GOG

Better Combat Escape -  Conversion of original for GOG

Unequip Quiver - Choose 1.6.629

More Informative Console - 1.6.640 version will work for GOG

Actor Limit Fix - Choose 1.6.629 Version

Fuz Ro D-oh - Choose 1.6.629

Edited by splashzone
  • 1 month later...

I mean most things for SE have a GOG compiled equiv, sometimes by a different person. Some stuff aren't apparent though, like AddItemMenu does not work on AE, get Simple Mod Item Spawner instead.  There's probably least 5+ common mods that also require dlls compiled from 3rd parties.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had a very good experience with the GOG version. Just installed it last week and was expecting a lot of trouble but nearly everything I had on my old LE version had a counterpart that runs fine on the GOG version. All the major mods and utilities I needed have GOG compatible versions (SKSE, Racemenu, jcontainers, etc..) and these are the requirements of all those other mods that I was worried would have compatibility issues. I haven't run into anything yet that I wanted but could not use because of incompatibility.

• 3 weeks later...

The main pain with the GOG version is the missing registry keys and different userprofile dir location. Both can be fixed quickly if one is familiar with oldschool computer knowledge (symlinking dirs and writing a simple registry patch). After those two fixes, most external tools like DYNDOLOD etc just work.

Plugin hell is just as bad as back in the days when there was no dynamic address library, and beth broke binary compatibility all the time.  10 years and there has essentially been no progress from a player's perspective: For every plugin you still need to pay close attention when downloading on getting the right version. On the upside, with GOG you're in control of the game version, so in theory once you got everything working properly, you can just freeze your setup and refuse all further updates. Of course that's just theory, because the moment you wanna add a new mod, you will face the problem that the dev either might not support your older game version, or worse he did support it and then deleted the matching files.

TLDR: The GOG version behaves pretty much the same as the steam version. It's neither harder nor easier - just another set of version numbers to juggle. No DRM though - that's about the only advantage i can think of.

• 8 months later...

it's a shame this thread hasn't taken off any farther than this, as someone who was once interested in the GOG version about a year ago, I'm partly to blame. I'm going to take another wack at trying to set this up because I'm sick of the bethesda fuckery.

Here is some relevant info:

https://www.gog.com/forum/elder_scrolls_series/skyrim_creation_kit/page2

"

Uhuru N’Uru
Uhuru N’Uru
Single Player Only - No Galaxy or Friiends

From United Kingdom

Posted November 02, 2022

high rated

Katar10: The answer :

Greetings!

Thank you for contacting the Bethesda Customer Support Team. My name is Brian and I will be discussing this matter with you today.

I understand that you are inquiring about the Creation Club in the GOG Version of The Anniversary Edition of Skyrim. We at Customer Support do not have any information on when the Creation Club will get added to this version of the Game. We apologize as this is not the answer you were hoping for.

If you would like to provide this matter as feedback to our Development team. You are able to provide feedback for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition through our support website:
1. Select Skyrim as your product
2. Click Feedback
3. Select the closest matching category of your feedback.
4. Fill in the form and click Submit
Alternatively, you can use our official Discord servers.

If you have anymore questions, please reach back out to us and we will be happy to help.

Thank you,
Brian
Bethesda Customer Support 
No the Answer is Modders, just mod what devs do NOT supply.

Stop expecting GOG to do what they have no power to do, and start modding.

JeniSkunk: With what Katar10 posted, Skyrim belongs in the list of Games that treat GOG customers as second class citizens 
Skyrim is released so often, and on every platform it's become a meme
Fact is GOG is not a secondary market, it's dead last (tied with Epic Games),

The Creation Kit is NOT part of the game, and nobody has been treated different.
The Creation Kit was only available on Bethesda.Net until MS (MicroSoft) shut that down.
I can only commend MS for not doing what BS (Bethesda Softworks) did, and posting it on the Windows Store.
Steam was the obvious choice, and primary market, but one fact stops GOG users in their tracks.

The Creation Kit has DRM
GOG can't post CK here DRM free without BS Permission.

Thing is a DRM free solution already exists, but it's a mod.
GOG rightly leaves modding where it belongs in our hands.

Stop moaning about what can't be changed by GOG, and MOD THE CREATION KIT

The method is straight forward if you only have the GOG release. Skip Step 2

1 Shut down Steam
2 Temporarily rename your Steam Game Folder, anything will do, but an easy edit makes sense like
Skyrim Special Edition
3 Start Steam, now you don't have the game installed (Steam's Dumb), and find the Creation Kit on the Skyrim Special Edition Store Page and Install it
4 Find "Skyrim Special Edition" Folder open it, and Archive all the files. name is irrelevant but I choose a useful name
The Elder Scrolls V – Skyrim – Special Edition – Creation Kit v1.6.659.0.8 (Steam).7Z
5 Move that Archive to where you keep modding tools downloads (NOT YOUR GAME YET)
6 Delete the Skyrim Special Edition Folder, and if you have the game on Steam Revert Temp folder Rename
7 Shut down Steam (For good)

Right now you have an offline copy of Steam CK (A Steam Backup), but useless for GOG.
It's Modding Time

You need four mod files from two different mods, and if you've used the CK before, you should be using 3 of them on Steam already.
SSE CreationKit Fixes=20061 @ Skyrim - SE - Nexus - Mods And Community
Here their are two files and we need both of them

CK64Fixes Release 3.2-20061-3-2-1616560054.zip
FaceFXWrapper 0.4-20061-0-4-1631087053.zip

SSE Creation Kit Fixes Update=71371 @ Skyrim - SE - Nexus - Mods And Community
Again their are two files and we need both of them

SSE Creation Kit Fixes Update-71371-33-1658698845.zip
The all important DRM free EXE was removed from Nexus by Bethesda Softworks
While rest of info in this post is accurate, see my reaction to this BS by BS (BullShit by Bethesda Softworks).

How To Use Creation Kit - GOG Forum Post by Uhuru NUru

Damn Decrepit Forum, butchering my Name, in links,
I'm not “Uhuru N’Uru
I'm “Uhuru N’Uru”

Now you have all you need, but I want a backup, of my modded GOG CK
Extract The Steam CK to a WIP folder, I give you my folder names, but only the contents really matter
I'll just keep the archive name I used as folder name, while we mod the Content
The Elder Scrolls V – Skyrim – Special Edition – Creation Kit v1.6.659.0.8 (Steam)

MO Users
You should know the drill same as SkSE, all non Game Data Folder content is always installed by MO.
Best MO practice is make all DLC into MO mods, but for CK just Archive any Data Folder Content, then Delete the Data Folder.
The Elder Scrolls V – Skyrim – Special Edition – Creation Kit – Scripts v1.6.659.0.8 MO Mod – Data Folder Contents.7Z

All Users
Simply extract each of the zip Files, in the EXACT order I listed them (It's NOT optional the second mod updates the first) into your WIP CK Folder Overwriting when asked.

The DRM free Exe must be renamed, but I don't like loose exe downloads, so I make download into an Archive, for a Backup.
Rename
SSE Creation Kit-71371-1-6-438-0-1658607602.exe
To
CreationKit.exe

Move to the WIP CK, overwriting the one with DRM.
Archiive your GOG CK, again my names given as example.
The Elder Scrolls V – Skyrim – Special Edition – Creation Kit – DRM Free with Fixes v1.6.438.0 Game Folder Contents (GOG).7Z

Now you have your DRM Free CK ready, and backed up.
You can either extract Archive to game, or as you have those loose files in the WIP folder, this time you can just move the files.

Run CK to make sure "It Just Works". (Thanks Todd), if you followed my guide, it will run.
Getting it to do what you want, Todd told you "It Just Works", I'm sure it will all be fine..
That's the easy bit, now if only you knew how to use it, but that's your next task, other guides exist for that.
Have Fun (Was that an evil laugh I heard, meddling Daedric Princes, you can blame them when it crashes on you, and it will).

Learn the lesson, GOG is a Tertiary niche market, it would be great if we got better support, but we don't.
What Devs don't/won't/can't do, modding does/will/can, it's the entire reason we mod games.
It's just a thought.

Post edited January 16, 2023 by UhuruNUru
"

Edited by Tseverin

More info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gog/comments/11nz8wf/skyrim_has_been_on_gog_since_september_2022_are/

level 1
·9 mo. ago·edited 9 mo. ago

All mods work for SkyrimSE/GOG Here is what you can do:

App Target Reg File:

1 . Create a new .reg file and enter the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bethesda Softworks\Skyrim Special Edition]

"Installed Path"="D:\\Games\\Skyrim\\"

Obviously, you'll have to replace the path with a valid one (and yes, double slashes are required).

2 . Double-click on it and answer "yes" to merge the changes into system registry.

3 . After that, you'll need to symlink the directory where GOG's plugins.txt is located into

C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Skyrim Special Edition

otherwise xEdit won't be able to find the plugins.txt where it expects it to be.

Worth noting, this method is universal for many other tools which expect this registry entry to exist, like FNIS, LazyVoiceFinder and others.

Simlink Tutorial:

Note: make sure to substitute "YOUR_USER_NAME" with your actual valid Windows profile name.

1 . Locate where the GOG version keeps the plugins.txt file. Nexus says it should be at "C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Skyrim Special Edition GOG"

2 . Open Windows console (either PowerShell or run cmd.exe)

3 . Make sure you don't have a directory under this path: "C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Skyrim Special Edition". If you do - either delete or rename it.

4 . Enter the following command in console:

mklink /D "C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Skyrim Special Edition" "C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Skyrim Special Edition GOG"

This should create a symbolic link of a directory "Skyrim Special Edition GOG" as "Skyrim Special Edition".

This way, any program trying to access the usual SSE path to plugins.txt will see the contents of a GOG version instead.

• 1 month later...

I attempted to reverse engineer FNIS to work with GOG version, it wants to search for a steam install by looking at a uninstall registry on windows which is its "copy right protection"

it also tries to search for a skyrim version.

but im not an expert so i couldn't get it to work.

the mod author abandoned his work and i heard he was 80 and retired or died.

there was another mod called nemesis but it has never been updated since 2020 and only works with certain mods and always crashes when i attempt to run it.

Edited by Hamguy31
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2024 at 6:44 AM, Hamguy31 said:

I attempted to reverse engineer FNIS to work with GOG version, it wants to search for a steam install by looking at a uninstall registry on windows which is its "copy right protection"

it also tries to search for a skyrim version.

but im not an expert so i couldn't get it to work.

the mod author abandoned his work and i heard he was 80 and retired or died.

there was another mod called nemesis but it has never been updated since 2020 and only works with certain mods and always crashes when i attempt to run it.

FNIS works with the GOG version already. It gives you a warning about not being a Steam installation but it works anyways.

As for the reverse engineering aspect of it, GenerateFNIS_for_Users.exe uses some sort of "IsSteam" function. I gave up on trying to find where it's used but I assume if you can edit it to simply return true then it should think you have a Steam installation and not spout the warning at you.

What's up with their versioning now?

I installed 1.6.659 a few months ago via the offline backup, but now I see the offline backup is for version 0.1.3905696 with an upgrade patch for 0.0.3895161 to 0.1.3905696.

I was planning to install 1.6.1170 at some point in the future, and this is a head scratcher.

Use neither of those updates right now, sexlab isn't compatible with them yet. Btw do not use gog's 1.6.1170 version (0.0.3895161) at all, it isn't even supported by skse (and will never be).

The other one is 1.6.1179, this one IS supported by skse, but still isn't supported by sexlab..

Edited by Shonen17000
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2024 at 3:32 AM, shrtjsrtj said:

What's up with their versioning now?

I installed 1.6.659 a few months ago via the offline backup, but now I see the offline backup is for version 0.1.3905696 with an upgrade patch for 0.0.3895161 to 0.1.3905696.

I was planning to install 1.6.1170 at some point in the future, and this is a head scratcher.

No idea what happened with their versioning, but I can confirm that the 0.1.3905696 is 1.6.1179 (as shown in-game).

Luckily I still had my offline installer files so I could revert to 1.6.659 (one of the reasons why I absolutely LOVE the DRM-free GOG version).

The 0.1.3905696/1.6.1179 isn't supported by SexLab yet and it's probably because RaceMenu hasn't updated to support the GOG version which SexLab depends on.

I don't think RaceMenu is open source but I wish it were.

I have no doubt in my mind the community would compile for the GOG version as soon as they are able if it was open source.

17 hours ago, Here4SlootyMods said:

No idea what happened with their versioning, but I can confirm that the 0.1.3905696 is 1.6.1179 (as shown in-game).

Luckily I still had my offline installer files so I could revert to 1.6.659 (one of the reasons why I absolutely LOVE the DRM-free GOG version).

The 0.1.3905696/1.6.1179 isn't supported by SexLab yet and it's probably because RaceMenu hasn't updated to support the GOG version which SexLab depends on.

I don't think RaceMenu is open source but I wish it were.

I have no doubt in my mind the community would compile for the GOG version as soon as they are able if it was open source.

Sexlab framework has been updated for gog 1.6.1179 yesterday, and there is an unofficial dll for racemenu. (you need to install the steam 1.6.1170 version of racemenu and let the new dll overwrite it).

RaceMenu Anniversary Edition v0.4.19.16 GOG updated dll.7z

Edited by Shonen17000