New to Skyrim and skyrim modding

Hi I'm new to skyrim modding and skyrim in general having just purchased the game, after having stumbled over a few skyrim mod videos (LOL mxrmods :P) I do have a few questions concerning modding the game.

- I noticed the terms "oldrim" and "newrim" being used in some of the mods I was looking at. can someone explain those terms?

- the version of skyrim i bought was the SE version on steam. that means i can only use mods specifically written for SE correct or does that mean I can use any mod? (i'm also failing to find the actual game files themselves, which i would need to find to place the files into to mod that game. is using steam an issue for modding? I'm also using win 10 if that helps.)

- i appear to need a mod manager from what i can gather. being used to games that acted as their own mod manager (conan exiles primarily) can someone suggest a simple easy to use one?

-i know load order affects the mods but does install order? I remember a few games that it used to.

-apparently i need FNIS for some of the mods i want. am i right to assume that you run say sexlab then FNIS, and then say like CBBE and so on until i load another mod that uses animations and run FNIS again?

- looking at the various body meshes, i noticed CBBE, Seraphim, UNP, UNP perky, TBD, etc...can someone explain what each of those is and which would be the easiest to use and install for a beginning modder?

thanks ahead of time :) i probably have more questions than that and just havent thought of them yet :P

2 minutes ago, MyMichelle49 said:

Hi I'm new to skyrim modding and skyrim in general having just purchased the game, after having stumbled over a few skyrim mod videos (LOL mxrmods :P) I do have a few questions concerning modding the game.

- I noticed the terms "oldrim" and "newrim" being used in some of the mods I was looking at. can someone explain those terms?

- the version of skyrim i bought was the SE version on steam. that means i can only use mods specifically written for SE correct or does that mean I can use any mod? (i'm also failing to find the actual game files themselves, which i would need to find to place the files into to mod that game. is using steam an issue for modding? I'm also using win 10 if that helps.)

- i appear to need a mod manager from what i can gather. being used to games that acted as their own mod manager (conan exiles primarily) can someone suggest a simple easy to use one?

-i know load order affects the mods but does install order? I remember a few games that it used to.

-apparently i need FNIS for some of the mods i want. am i right to assume that you run say sexlab then FNIS, and then say like CBBE and so on until i load another mod that uses animations and run FNIS again?

- looking at the various body meshes, i noticed CBBE, Seraphim, UNP, UNP perky, TBD, etc...can someone explain what each of those is and which would be the easiest to use and install for a beginning modder?

thanks ahead of time :) i probably have more questions than that and just havent thought of them yet :P

First, when you post your next round of questions please put them in the Skyrim LE general discussion found about 7 threads down from here. This thread is for truly "General" Discussion. Don't worry. It happens all the time. We were all new here once upon a time.

Oldrim is the original Skyrim game. With the downloads is becomes the Legendary Edition or Skyrim LE. Newrim wuld be the version that you are using, the 64-bit Skyrim SE.

Yes. You can only use mods that are specifically for SE. This isn't entirely true but for a beginner it is best to think in those terms. The differences between the 32-bit game and the 64-bit one are sufficient to cause you game to crash-to-desktop (CTD) if you confuse the issue.

You do not absolutely need a mod manager. Many of our veteran modders don't. However, I strongly recommend that you get one to get started. Mod managers bring forth a lot of emotion on this site. For a beginner I recommend Nexus Mod Manager (not found on Nexus but rather on GitHub - it's a long story). As you suggest it is very simple. It does not have the "bells and whistles" found in Mod Organizer or Vortex but it will take you no time to learn.

Install order has no impact except as it affects load order. Load order is very important and, again for a newcomer, I would recommend that you get LOOT (Load Order Optimisation Tool).

There are many tools that you will need. These mods (like FNIS) are not seen in the game but their absence would make for some strange results.

With the advent of Bodyslide (another tool) which body you use has become less important. Traditionally the CBBE was designed to be more "natural" and the UUNP body (which includes most of the rest of what you've listed) tends to give females larger assets The bodies should all be equally easy to use and install. Bear in mind that you will need to load only those "armors" that go along with the body you've chosen, however. So, you might want to look at some armor images and decide from there which one is better for you.

33 minutes ago, MyMichelle49 said:

These are stupid names for Skyrim LE and SE. Ok, not that stupid, because you can tell ones is old (2011) and the other new-ish (2016). Oldrim=Skyrim from 2011, if you have all the DLCs its also called Legendary Edition. Newrim=Skyrim from 2016, the Special Edition, or Skyrim SE, it comes with all the DLCs by default.

Yes, most mods won't work in SE if they're not made for SE. The Nexus and here in loverslab have different download/forum sections for Skyrim LE/SE. So use the proper ones and you shouldn't have issues. About the game files, they should be under "Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition". Having the game in Steam is not bad, nor is using W10. Just make sure you don't install Steam/your games/any modding tool under the default Program Files (the Windows permission system could prevent some functions and some tools may not work as intended).

There is Vortex (new and default mod manager from Nexus), NMM (old and non-officially supported mod manager from Nexus) and Mod Organizer 2 (independant project, based in MO1 from the creator of Vortex). Personal preference: MO2. Plenty of videos about how to use it, and once you get to know the interface and features you'll be glad you started with MO as your default mod manager. The main feature is that your game files won't be replaced by your mod files, ever. And installing/uninstalling a mod is as simple as adding it to a list, you can see every file from that mod, you can check if other mods provide the same files (so you'll know if there is any file conflict) and you can solve those conflicts quite easily. In the long run you'll save a lot of time by start to mod with MO2. Vortex has similar features but I don't use it personally so I can't say how easy/useful it is.

Install order matter only if you do manual installs or use the old NMM. As I said, with MO2 you'll have every file from every mod at your disposal, so if there is any overwritte, you can correct it without needing to re-install or remove mods. I think the same applies to Vortex.

You can't "run sexlab", Sexlab is a framework, you install it and that's it, there is nothing to run, other than the game itself. FNIS is an external tool, you must run it before starting the game. Its recommended that you run FNIS once you've installed all the mods you want, then start a new game and test if everything seems fine. Then you can just play. If you ever uninstall or install a mod which contains animations, you'll need to run FNIS again. CBBE is a body mod, it does not contain any animation files, so in this case, its not required to run it again.

These are, as you said, just different body meshes, they have different shapes and proportions for the female bodies. Its just a matter of taste really. But as you'll be playing Skyrim SE I'd recommend you to use CBBE, it has an official release, you have plenty of armor/clothing outfits and its supported by Bodyslide (another external tool to generate custom body meshes and adjust your outfits to said body mesh in a couple of clicks).

1 hour ago, Psalam said:

Yes. You can only use mods that are specifically for SE. This isn't entirely true but for a beginner it is best to think in those terms. The differences between the 32-bit game and the 64-bit one are sufficient to cause you game to crash-to-desktop (CTD) if you confuse the issue.

oof.... i wanted to use a few from I'm guessing oldrim, specifically these...

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/97699

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/97638

So i would not be able to use any of those?

16 minutes ago, MyMichelle49 said:

oof.... i wanted to use a few from I'm guessing oldrim, specifically these...

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/97699

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/97638

So i would not be able to use any of those?

Simple Slavery Plus has been converted to SE here:

I can't speak for the other mods but here is the place to look for them:

You can also post a thread on the Skyrim LE General Discussion forum to ask if anyone is aware of an SE version of these mods or if there was someone who would be willing to convert them for you.

3 minutes ago, Psalam said:

Simple Slavery Plus has been converted to SE here:

I can't speak for the other mods but here is the place to look for them:

You can also post a thread on the Skyrim LE General Discussion forum to ask if anyone is aware of an SE version of these mods or if there was someone who would be willing to convert them for you.

ty :) so just post there if i'm looking for a mod thats not converted to SE?

Archived