IGNORED

Should I mod skyrim as I go though the story or should I just mod skyrim before I start going through the story?

I completely deleted old load order and mods because I wanted to restart everything as new. And I'm kind of wondering if I should just download and install mods that I remember worked fine before I start playing the story or I should play the story first and add mods as I go through the story and find a room for improvement.

I would never install mods mid-game. It's very difficult to predict what conflicts and glitches they may cause.

Install a mod or two and run a brief test game. If there's nothing visibly wrong, install another mod or two, run another brief test game, and so on, until you've got the kind of configuration you believe you'll be happy playing with.

2 hours ago, Dryad said:

I completely deleted old load order and mods because I wanted to restart everything as new. And I'm kind of wondering if I should just download and install mods that I remember worked fine before I start playing the story or I should play the story first and add mods as I go through the story and find a room for improvement.

Depends on the mod.  Not a good answer but it is the best one.   Mods that affect local items, like weapons or clothes, sure you can wait.  Mods that "replace" items should be ok to add mid game, however mods that have set conditions (player must have done X) may not be as smooth as you want.   Any mod that states "you must first complete......." is a likely candidate to add before you start a new game.   Also, some flat out state that the mod is only for a new game and not a save game.  

However, there are ways to mod mid game, but you would have to be comfortable going into the various modding tools and setting it up manually.  

I had minor issues with some mods causing CTDs as long as Helgen (or the LAL setup phase) wasn't completed. Aside from that, modding mid-game can be tricky but should work.

In my opinion the question is your likely approach. Do you want to roleplay a certain kink? In that case you should collect all the mods you need to install and configure prior to starting game play. Do you want to test random stuff on your char? Then sure, try mid-game, but prepare for some hiccups and keep your savegame cleaner of choice on speed dial. Adding and testing mods mid-game is a recipe for character loss, so don't forget to backup clean save games if you fear loss of a much-beloved hero*ine. Also, always read the mod description carefully, as it usually states dependencies and incompatabilities.

Oh, and don't trust any automated setup system. Even LOOT caused some strange CTDs in my game that could (reproducably) be solved by switching around mods in the load order.

A more general answer - normally don't install a mod midgame - do only so if the mod description say it's ok or required like with "Helgen reborn". But if you want to test - Mods that don't appear in the loadorder or only change textures or landscapes should be fine to change while playing. But everything that adds/changes functionality, objects, changes quests etc. everything that change interactive things in the game should be installed at start and then left alone.

For example, a mod that changes the appearance of Lydia should be fine, but if that mods changes her AI, her behaviour, dialog etc. it could be game breaking. Or environment changes like the rainforest project or the flora overhaul - both fine to use midgame, but something like the people of skyrim could be game breaking. Another example are mods like cursed loot - if you have killed Nazeem before you installed cursed loot you have a broken quest in cursed loot because he is essential for the Chloe-Quest.

One thing at the end - some mods can be installed but switched on/off ingame like City Bondage or even delivers deinstallation methods like Sanguine Debauchery for a "clean" deinstall midgame.

I usually have a stock save inside Helgen Keep stairwell for emergencies.

I have very few issues adding mods in-game, except mods that require conditions you haven't fulfilled, or scripted mods that require a new game (most mods will tell you if they need a new save/clean save).

I started modding about 6 years ago and a save from then in still in rotation. Still fully functional, though I've had to scrub it once or twice.

It should be safe to add armor and weapon mods mid game, in worst case scenario you will have NPCs with two sets of armor. Mods that add new NPCs (like OBIS for example) without modifying the existing ones should be safe too, although Delphine or whatever her name is might get severely fistfucked by a randomly spawned Bandit Butcher Chief Deathlord Murderboss.

Agree with Wolborg there.

Unless the mod is completely self-sufficient and doesnt rely on previous, or pre-existing material, its usually ok, but, anything that requires other mods to load, will usually break your shit pretty bad installing it mid-game.