Trying to get the CaN (Crimes against Nature) Ponies to work with AAF

I've been attempting to add the pony race to the AAF race data xmls with limited success. AAF recognizes my character and I can choose animations and poses but when I play them my character is not there. During animations it's just the npc animating alone. I suspect it has something to do with the Ponies having their own skeleton in the CaN esm. The AAF wiki shows that I need to source skeletons for custom races. I've attempted to source the skeleton as well but I really don't know what I'm doing. The wiki page doesn't give an example of what it's supposed to look like.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The naming of the skeleton in the AAF files is just a way to tell AAF what characters the animations are made for.

So, in the race XML you would put `skeleton="Human"` for this pony race, presumably? Or, if it doesnt work with human animations, you will need to put `skeleton="PonyChar"` and then also make animations compatible with it and put `skeleton="PonyChar"` within the actor node linking to the compatible animations.

If you can play the game with these characters already, my guess is that they are compatible with the human skeleton. In that case, the issue of character disappearing could be because the game engine doesn't recognize the customizations of that mod through the PC template. AAF uses that template to make a copy of the PC likeness (customizations to their face, etc.). It seems like there is a good chance that the CaN mod either breaks that process or doesn't complete it the same way that it does for vanilla characters. If that is the case, it can't be fixed through AAF. It would need something more from the CaN side to work.

51 minutes ago, dagobaking said:

The naming of the skeleton in the AAF files is just a way to tell AAF what characters the animations are made for.

So, in the race XML you would put `skeleton="Human"` for this pony race, presumably? Or, if it doesnt work with human animations, you will need to put `skeleton="PonyChar"` and then also make animations compatible with it and put `skeleton="PonyChar"` within the actor node linking to the compatible animations.

If you can play the game with these characters already, my guess is that they are compatible with the human skeleton. In that case, the issue of character disappearing could be because the game engine doesn't recognize the customizations of that mod through the PC template. AAF uses that template to make a copy of the PC likeness (customizations to their face, etc.). It seems like there is a good chance that the CaN mod either breaks that process or doesn't complete it the same way that it does for vanilla characters. If that is the case, it can't be fixed through AAF. It would need something more from the CaN side to work.

Ah, I see. I will try out your suggestions but I have a feeling that you're probably right about it being a CaN problem. Thanks for the information.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/12/2019 at 1:34 PM, Bronz0h said:

I've been attempting to add the pony race to the AAF race data xmls with limited success. AAF recognizes my character and I can choose animations and poses but when I play them my character is not there. During animations it's just the npc animating alone. I suspect it has something to do with the Ponies having their own skeleton in the CaN esm. The AAF wiki shows that I need to source skeletons for custom races. I've attempted to source the skeleton as well but I really don't know what I'm doing. The wiki page doesn't give an example of what it's supposed to look like.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

sorry for necroing but i actually found something out with my own tests, its a mod conflict, certain mods make it not work, earlier I actually got it to work as intended with said race. devious devices or torture devices conflicts with aaf and can working correctly for me so if you use those i'd disable or uninstall them when using CAN with AAF.

Edited by Indipotter
  • 11 months later...

the main issue is racecustomizer. you need the patch under can in nexus that makes can work without RC. what RC does is make it to where the skeleton doesnt glitch (the underwear on the skeleton glitches up and to the side, along with some severe vertex/bone issues)

the creator of AAF specifically designed it to crap out if youre using rc. with me, as soon as i activated can customiser, made the character, and exited, the character would be invisible in third person, but not in first. either that or the body and eyes are fine, but the rest of the face stretches across the map.
to fix these issues, download ONLY the hard requirements for can and no-rc patch.

zebras and proditors, pony race additions, and anything else that adds to the pony race (other than can manes and tails) will instantly break AAF. someone also said that devious devicess/torture devices are incompatable because they will break aaf for different reasons if you arent using a nearly-vanilla load order

• 3 months later...