Quick question about PC stuff

Oh shit WTF

I'm currently using RTX 2080 for GPU and i7-9700K boosted to 5.0GHz with 32 GB RAM. ENBoost is, of course, activated. For now, my modded Skyrim, my PC runs 55-62 fps on average. When I'm outside, the GPU temperature goes up to 75 degrees Celsius with 99% GPU usage, and the CPU temperature goes up to 78 degrees Celsius  with 5200MHz. When I'm inside of the cell, the GPU usage goes down to under 50% or something. Here's my question though. I'm planning of buying either another RTX 2080 to make it SLI or upgrade it to RTX 2080ti so that GPU gets less stress when I play my modded Skyrim. For cost and performance, which should I get? and what result would I get from it?

Like I could buy another RTX 2080, which is cheaper than RTX 2080ti, but how would the spec be compared to using single RTX 2080ti? Also, buying another RTX 2080 means it would be even harder for me to upgrade my pc to RTX 2080ti SLI, so I really don't know. I wanna hear people's opinion. 

While I'd go to the manufacturer website for specs, and then watch some respectable video's reviewing said products, it sounds more like a matter of being patient enough to save for your ultimate goal - 2x RTX 2080ti.

I used to run an average of 2-3 years behind current tech in an effort to be frugal. It was quite effective at the time, but progress lately has slowed, meaning games have a chance to catch up to the newer tech, and the newest becomes quite expensive.

If you decide to just suck it up and go with 1 ti for now and eventually finish your SLI set-up with 2 ti, then maybe looking for another mod to help boost game performance in the mean time would be a viable option.

On 10/14/2019 at 1:00 PM, Dryad said:

I'm currently using RTX 2080 for GPU and i7-9700K boosted to 5.0GHz with 32 GB RAM. ENBoost is, of course, activated. For now, my modded Skyrim, my PC runs 55-62 fps on average. When I'm outside, the GPU temperature goes up to 75 degrees Celsius with 99% GPU usage, and the CPU temperature goes up to 78 degrees Celsius  with 5200MHz. When I'm inside of the cell, the GPU usage goes down to under 50% or something. Here's my question though. I'm planning of buying either another RTX 2080 to make it SLI or upgrade it to RTX 2080ti so that GPU gets less stress when I play my modded Skyrim. For cost and performance, which should I get? and what result would I get from it?

Like I could buy another RTX 2080, which is cheaper than RTX 2080ti, but how would the spec be compared to using single RTX 2080ti? Also, buying another RTX 2080 means it would be even harder for me to upgrade my pc to RTX 2080ti SLI, so I really don't know. I wanna hear people's opinion. 

Very nice setup! whats the CPU usage across all core's?.   I also think that getting a second RTX 2080/2080ti is not going to get you much of a big improvement Maybe at very best 5-10%. Also to add AMD & Nvidia are shying away from CrossFire/ SLI But if your using your rig for Large Video editing eg tv studio then go for it buy a RTX2080/2080ti. Else it not worth it.

Watch this  

• 2 weeks later...

SLI is seriously outdated, almost no games support it,  and unless you want to play in 8K or something not worth it at all. In most cases you'll even get worse performance than with only one GPU  because as I already said SLI is very rarely supported and frankly,  even then quite useless. 

Better to get one of those ~$5000 "non gaming cards" if you really think you need the power (you don't though) 

Edit: just looked it up, skyrim *is* kinda supported, I still think it's not worth it and you'd probably get better performance with a strong single GPU (which may or may not be more expensive) 

SLI will give your more horsepower by far... for skyrim. And very few other games. The only games currently planning to support NVL/SLI are CoD and games made with Frostbite. Games under dx12 deferred rendering are very unlikely to benefit from SLI, so unless you're down with EA giving it to your ass every night, SLI is the literal fetish option.

3 hours ago, MaidoLover said:

you'd probably get better performance with a strong single GPU

wrong.

1 hour ago, Reginald_001 said:

It's actually more nuance than that, but you know that.

The real answer to that question (as with most other questions in IT is: 'It Depends' > On your setup > Config > Drivers > OS > Games you try out etc..etc...

Nope. It's very plain, very simple. It will give any game that supports either frame flipping AFR or SFR under dx9 or 10 a % boost, Skyrim not only supports both but received two nvidia specific patches to boost sli performance waaaaaay after launch.

That is simply dry objective fact. The highest boost to bethbryo games is memory throughput, then rendering speed, then brute force bandwidth between whatever's storing the scripts and whatever's running them and that includes their dx11 implementation. Cut and dried. Skyrim has literally been dis and reassembled back together, so it isn't a question of digging literally around the source code to try to optimize things or getting a fork of UE that specially coded for _____.

The question was about Skyrim and the direct answer is an emphatic yes; Skyrim LE especially. A smart person researching the subject would be asking how much, not if, because if is a matter of public record.

6 hours ago, 27X said:

SLI will give your more horsepower by far..

Wrong. 

"The Titan RTX has 4608 Shader Processing Units and the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti SLI has 4352. However, the actual shader performance of theTitan RTX is 8156 and the actual shader performance of the RTX 2080Ti is 7116. ... The Titan RTX requires 280 Watts to run and the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti SLI requires 260 Watts."

As I said, single GPU will be more powerful. Regardless of the game,  more power = more power.  Simple. 

7 hours ago, MaidoLover said:

single GPU will be more powerful

You haven't the faintest. For Skyrim, or any other game using SFR circa dx9 and a cursory youtube search, or you know common sense would show you that. Also literal lol at using a synthetic versus publicly shown benchmarks.

On 10/14/2019 at 5:00 AM, Dryad said:

SLI and Skyrim are like a married couple going through a really rough divorce, neither of them work well together in anyway. And frankly its not just Skyrim its a ton of other games that have serious problems with SLI. I would simply buy 1 RTX 2080 Ti. That way you wont be chasing down problems with SLI.

7 hours ago, MaidoLover said:

Wrong. 

"The Titan RTX has 4608 Shader Processing Units and the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti SLI has 4352. However, the actual shader performance of theTitan RTX is 8156 and the actual shader performance of the RTX 2080Ti is 7116. ... The Titan RTX requires 280 Watts to run and the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti SLI requires 260 Watts."

As I said, single GPU will be more powerful. Regardless of the game,  more power = more power.  Simple. 

The Titan RTX barely makes a difference when compared to an RTX 2080 Ti. It literally just dips to barely a 5% increase in performance and you are paying around 1.5k more for that.....

On 10/14/2019 at 7:00 AM, Dryad said:

I have RL friends that used SLI for their modded systems and had some stutter and other effects due to having SLI. Turned that off and things went back to normal.  The boost for a system that has SLI is not that much. The boost for a 2080Ti is nice but still not worth the price difference.

The solution is to dial back some of the graphics effects, perhaps even texture sizes (2K instead of 4k ) especially for items that don't needed it such as small items and such. Work on optimizing your load order, textures and other effects. If you are using an post processing program then perhaps try another one or dial that back or remove it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, interesting, but for me hard to follow.

I am going to get a new PC soon because my old one is .... extremley dated. I still managed to get a heavily modded Oldrim to be rather stable with a low end ENB on my 12 GB RAM, i5 750 with a Geforce 660Ti :P

But now I want a new PC, primarily one that is more silent...

What would be a good thing to look for hardware wise? I am playing Oldrim mainly, but I want the new System to also be able to work with a modded SE and Fallout 4 in the future. 

So I m now a bit confused by the information provided here.

I am also not looking for the ultimate graphics monster, since Skyrim is the only demanding game I am playing. 

1000-1500 EUR would be the max I want to spent. Better in the 1000s... hmm..

Happy for every advice. 

5 hours ago, yag1z said:

for modded Skyrim you MUST buy good CPU . With heavly scripted mods and enb's skyrim goes crazy about cpu usage It is hungry to cpu usage since dx9 only supports 2 cores and skyrim render shadows with cpu :/

Actually no. I can definitely say this from experience; I have a 6 core 12 thread CPU at 5GHz, and over 180+ mods installed and can tell you when skyrim is open that the CPU is barely ever pegged above 35%-50% usage on 4 cores or less. GPU and RAM is what will make the biggest difference in FPS and performance no matter what.

7 hours ago, Antrox said:

Actually no. I can definitely say this from experience; I have a 6 core 12 thread CPU at 5GHz, and over 180+ mods installed and can tell you when skyrim is open that the CPU is barely ever pegged above 35%-50% usage on 4 cores or less. GPU and RAM is what will make the biggest difference in FPS and performance no matter what.

Single core performance is more important for skyrim and dx9 games more stress on cpu so your game only strees on 2/6 cores of your 6 core cpu this is why usage is %30

7 hours ago, yag1z said:

Single core performance is more important for skyrim and dx9 games more stress on cpu so your game only strees on 2/6 cores of your 6 core cpu this is why usage is %30

I never noticed a difference in FPS when I changed out CPUs, especially back when I had an FX 8350 and went to an i5 4690k. The biggest difference i noticed in FPS was from faster ram, better GPU, more VRAM and faster VRAM, and def storage speed.

On 11/9/2019 at 1:07 PM, Antrox said:

I never noticed a difference in FPS when I changed out CPUs, especially back when I had an FX 8350 and went to an i5 4690k. The biggest difference i noticed in FPS was from faster ram, better GPU, more VRAM and faster VRAM, and def storage speed.

You are correct.  For  a/ to a point.  CPUs and gaming are specifically needed to be as good as the rest of the equipment to keep up with the data throughput. Now once you achieve that level you are golden. It is also needed if you run many other things in the background which can take up needed bandwidth during gaming.  That is the general need. However, there are exceptions to the rules. There are some CPU intensive games. Those usually do better with a better CPU .. again to a point and depending on the specific game and the rest of the setup.

5 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

You are correct.  For  a/ to a point.  CPUs and gaming are specifically needed to be as good as the rest of the equipment to keep up with the data throughput. Now once you achieve that level you are golden. It is also needed if you run many other things in the background which can take up needed bandwidth during gaming.  That is the general need. However, there are exceptions to the rules. There are some CPU intensive games. Those usually do better with a better CPU .. again to a point and depending on the specific game and the rest of the setup.

Exactly. And again I am at 5GHz on 6 cores. There was at most a 3fps difference in performance on skyrim.

3 hours ago, Antrox said:

Exactly. And again I am at 5GHz on 6 cores. There was at most a 3fps difference in performance on skyrim.

Yes I know :)  I was just confirming your statement. Skyrim is more GPU intensive than CPU.  ;)

My rig isn't as fast as yours. I have an excellent GPU but originally I had one that was as low as a GTX 670, then a 970 and now a 1080ti. the difference in the increases of Vram really made a difference when I wanted more graphics goodies. (as logic would dictate :P)

I to also had a slower processor an amd previously which I believe was 3.4 if memory is correct. and only gained a few FPS from that one when I did a major upgrade to a 4790K processor.  More powerful by far compared to the previous processor. I could do so much more and was so much better off doing encoding and trans-coding and multitasking but ... only a FPS or two change in the mods. IN fact at one point when I first changed over. I had copied over my entire modded set up from the previous setup. No change.

Yes, there is a need for a good processor for Skyrim. You need enough to keep all the data to flow around but you don't need to spend 100's of dollars to upgrade to silly specs to play it and won't get crazy boost in FPS. 

For those that want some more out of their game. Get an SSD the pricing is dropping to a point where most can get one big enough to handle a good portion of their game library. Make sure you have at least 8gb (I prefer 16 but I do other task in the background while playing games so I need a bit more)  decent processor .. the specs listed on the box.. shoot for the advised and if possible a bit above and you will be golden for the processor. Then any extra cash shoot for the GPU.. if you want to be serious in gaming.. that is where the majority of money needs to be.

16 hours ago, Antrox said:

It is the opposite for me. The game runs good till I install much mods. Even my cpu (i7 3630qm) in skyrim can't handle  dyndolod when I install it, It gives gpu bottleneck (gtx680mx sli)

50 minutes ago, yag1z said:

It is the opposite for me. The game runs good till I install much mods. Even my cpu (i7 3630qm) in skyrim can't handle  dyndolod when I install it, It gives gpu bottleneck (gtx680mx sli)

Thats a bottleneck. Entirely different from running proper specs that work together. Thats why you are having that problem.

Archived