I hope this hasn't been asked before but there appears to be a compatibility issue with AAF and VIS-G - specifically:

In the Pip boy going from the data tab to the inventory will crash you straight out of the game

Likewise - when opening the inventory at a workshop (r button on the pc) or doing the same when looking at a dead bodied inventory. Instant CTD.

Now the Pip boy can be sorted with the following edit, from :

Since the problem seems to be some bizarre interaction between the PipBoys inv display, VIS_G, AAF, and (maybe) an XBOX controller, I thought I would try just turning off the icons in the pip-boy inventory display : in the DEF_UI Mod, edit the file

interface/DEF_CONF/DEF_INV.xml

and change the setting to false :

<pipboy>

<itemlist>
      <icons>false</icons>
      <dps>false</dps>
    </itemlist>

</pipboy>

That fixes the Pipboy but obviously loses the icons in there

and the following line supports that:

Anyway, on the VIS-G nexus mod page Gambit77 chimes in.

"Are you using AAF?
If so, you might want to edit your DEF_INV_TAGS.xml to comment out any lines your not using on your mod build. Right now the default is what I'm using and never CTDing with, but during testing every less unique icon being used made the CTDs less frequent, so you may be able to achieve stability while using AAF just by trimming the amount of unique icons being used down some more. "

Does anyone have a suggestion for the crash when going to a settlement / body's inventory?

This is a well known and well documented problem, one that will most likely never have a fix due to the way VIS-G is structured. It's odd that you get this crash when not using a controller though. Unless of course, you have other UI/HUD mods running besides DEF_UI and VIS-G. Then it doesn't matter if you have a controller or not.

There are a few things that halfway help to work around the problem though. One major problem VIS-G has is crashing when receiving a quest item or legendary item, due to that popup view when you get the item. with this mod, it disables the popup:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/35623

If you use a controller, this can give you a bit of a workaround for the data tab crash by allowing you to use Mouse/Keyboard and controller all at the same time:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23136

If you are getting the switching crash and/or other inventory crashes while using K/M, figure out what other UI/HUD mods you have and either find compatibility patches for them, or get rid of them.

Yep. Known issue. No worries about bringing it up. It should be easier for others to find info on it now that it's a thread in tech support. So that is good.

We have tested AAF with it running multiple instances simultaneously and it did not cause a crash. So, we think that the Flash resource use is pretty well optimized.

According to a Vis-G author, they pushed the code to the limit of max resource use (and crashing) and then dialed it back to where it was stable.

The problem is that other mods like AAF using Flash share the resource load with Vis-G. So, since it's already maxing things out, even just a little additional Flash resource use can cause instability.

IMO, there is likely room to optimize Vis-G so that it doesn't use so much resources. But, I don't know the mechanics of the mod super well. I would help look at the code and ways to optimize it if the author(s) are interested.

18 hours ago, dagobaking said:

Yep. Known issue. No worries about bringing it up. It should be easier for others to find info on it now that it's a thread in tech support. So that is good.

Guess what comes first in Google now? :) 

I've removed Vis-G and will try the suggested mod (thanks for the heads up). Got to say: it's a bit daft to hog all resources for your own mod without taking into account others may wish to use the same ones in theirs...

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 11:19 AM, Baltasarr80 said:

I have the same problem with vis-g or horizon for that matter ... every time i open a crate and try to collect all items the game crashes .... if i dont usw these to mods ... no problem ...

I believe some kind of sorter comes with Horizon. Maybe there is an option to disable that on install?

• 11 months later...
1 minute ago, vaderisking77 said:

I ran into this problem today. This post really helped me out. Thanks!

On 9/29/2019 at 3:43 AM, Tr_veller said:

I hope this hasn't been asked before but there appears to be a compatibility issue with AAF and VIS-G - specifically:

In the Pip boy going from the data tab to the inventory will crash you straight out of the game

Likewise - when opening the inventory at a workshop (r button on the pc) or doing the same when looking at a dead bodied inventory. Instant CTD.

Now the Pip boy can be sorted with the following edit, from :

That fixes the Pipboy but obviously loses the icons in there

and the following line supports that:

Does anyone have a suggestion for the crash when going to a settlement / body's inventory?