Control Nude Mod? [Request]

8 hours ago, Kargrin said:

Anyone knows the source of this? Isn't that ass modded?

https://is2.4chan.org/v/1627479556743.jpg

This isn't an image manipulation. I am to assume that someone has figured out model replacement, which was the major issue with the request of a nude mod. Seems as though progress is being made somewhere. May I ask where you found this image?

1 hour ago, Blehbreh said:

This isn't an image manipulation. I am to assume that someone has figured out model replacement, which was the major issue with the request of a nude mod. Seems as though progress is being made somewhere. May I ask where you found this image?

4chan, guess it's either a good perspective shot or a super secret mod. If anyone with the game could retake the same screenshot in the same place....

1 hour ago, Kargrin said:

4chan, guess it's either a good perspective shot or a super secret mod. If anyone with the game could retake the same screenshot in the same place....

Here is a screen of a retexture mod on nexus. The perspective and pose isn't exactly similar, but we can see that the geometry from the image you posted above has been altered. There's a noticeable roundness in your screen and a lack thereof in this screen. Perhaps I'm wrong and it's the same model, but the image you found on 4chan looks like a model replacement test.

33-1596407142-1883822014.jpeg

Edited by Blehbreh
  • 1 month later...

Since we can already export models from the game, can someone tell me if clothes are part of the character models? It would be too convenient if they weren't and there was actually some kind of a clothing system in place, giving us hope of finding a way to create a nude mod that doesn't involve having to make a model importer.

Turns out clothes are indeed included in the character models. So even if we had a model importer, we'd still have to create a nude body for her and rig it in a way that is compatible with the game.

The Blender plugin we have does enough to extract the geometry and skeleton from the files, but there's more than that involved in getting an edited model into the game. According to the creator of the plugin, the file formats are very complicated and geometry changes would likely also require other changes to the files which we currently don't understand.

Nevertheless, if someone with Python knowledge could make an Blender exporter based on what the importer does, it should at least give us some kind of result in the game to learn from.

Conceptually speaking....

If you had a blender nude model, you could use that to adjust the coordinates of each existing vertex of an existing model (find a line perpendicular to the nude model's skin, move the vertex along that line to minimize its distance from the skin). A lot of this could be done with code though maybe a ui would be necessary for tricky parts (like maybe underarms?).

Since these distances are small, rigging issues should be minor. And then someone would need to fit a nude texture to the model's uv map... But because you would be using exactly the same triangles used in an existing model -- just relocating them slightly -- most of the file format issues be handled.

The tricky detail would be writing the code to fit the game's model's vertices to the nude model's structure. It might make sense to use a high poly nude model for this (since none of the model's vertices would be included in the game, and the shorter distances might make the scripting easier).

There's no code involved in creating, rigging and texturing the model itself (we could take Jesse's head with its skeleton and put it onto an existing nude model), but a lot of research is required to be able to export the resulting model into a format readable by the game - this is where we're stuck.

On 10/4/2021 at 4:45 PM, LovingSims said:

There's no code involved in creating, rigging and texturing the model itself (we could take Jesse's head with its skeleton and put it onto an existing nude model), but a lot of research is required to be able to export the resulting model into a format readable by the game - this is where we're stuck.

My point was that if the existing model's vertex coordinates are adjusted to conform to a nude model's structure, the "export the resulting model into a format readable by the game" step is trivial: You update the coordinates in place in the existing file format.

The problem you are describing is what happens when you try replacing the existing model with a different model.

The process I described was about adjusting the existing model, instead. But that's why custom software would be needed. Because it's about adjusting an existing model from the game, and not exporting a different model into the game.

2 hours ago, mrmojorisin said:

Has a game that's ever been out this long without getting a nude mod ever gotten one?

I mean, Rise of the Tomb Raider didn't have a proper nude mod for like 4 years before getting one out of nowhere, but it at least had texture modding before that.
I wouldn't say it's ever completely out of the question.

5 hours ago, LovingSims said:

That would just as well require deeper knowledge of the geometry format, not to mention that it would be incredibly tedious to get a usable result with this method.

If export works, that's sufficient information right there.

And, tedium is why you would use software written specifically for this task to make the adjustments. Computers don't get bored. (It doesn't even matter all that much if the code is slow.)

On 10/8/2021 at 8:19 PM, LovingSims said:

Since we already have to write new software, we might as well do the most logical thing and make a Blender exporter, if anything.

Of course it's all hypothetical until someone with the required knowledge comes in and actually decides to do it.

Sure, that could work. Though if the thing takes a couple days to run or something, because someone used a super simple and not particularly efficient approach, tying up blender for that long might be a bit annoying.

(It's not like this thing would need to be used a lot, and if running for a couple days saves a week or five of coding time, that might be the best approach. But I am just guessing about performance issues. Like you say, its all hypothetical right now.)

Edit: I should add that this proposed mechanism is not very much like the sort of thing you would normally do in Blender. We are talking about smoothing out the surface of a model so that it looks nude. We would use Blender to create the reference model for this smoothing, but this only works with models which are very very close to the original game model. 

So, the approach needs to deal with vertices (to update a few of them) and with the associated triangles data structure (to make sure that they are all facing the right direction -- if they are backwards, they would be invisible (because of a game optimization), which would not look right). But there should not be any need for re-rigging (because the distances changed for these vertices should be tiny).

Anyways, while you could make this a "blender exporter", that would not make much sense. And, not just because the implemented algorithm might be slow.

Edited by sen4mi

So, hi, long time user of the forums, first time poster here.

I am taking a shot at this by mostly extracting the file format spec from the importer by Volfin.

It is true that a lot is already known but also a lot is also still in the shadows, we need to fill the gaps left by Volfin in order to be able to create a proper exporter.

I am preparing a github gist with the docs, but I need help figuring out the gaps, so far I mapped the binding skelelon and what seems to be the UP vector.

besides giving proper names to some of the data.

I'll post back once I have a good draft of the spec.

Ok, first draft:

https://gist.github.com/Kwizatz/e4515e3caea9b8e312841e07aa9bc1e8

I'll continue tomorrow and fix the MD tables, but if someone has any idea on what could be stored in the fields marked as "Unknown" it will really help. I know there is very little info to go by other than what's around the unknowns and what is missing, but I wouldn't have posted this early if I could "just see it" myself.