Bakeing Dead Graphics Cards

MadMansGun

3 hours ago, gregathit said:

Did you do it with or without butter?  :)

On a serious note, from the stuff I've read it is hit or miss.  Could be 1 day and could be 3 years.  Mostly it is a temp fix from what I hear and have read about.

What?? There is anything to read about graphics card in an oven? :lol:

So it was sort of my bad english instance, I guess. If it resurrected a used card 5 times, it did do some good thing after all!

But still it's far beyond me, why one wouldn't buy a better chip from the beginning instead, for example...

i own a Gigabyte GTS 250 and it's running on a 12 year old WinXP Prox64 computer, by this point replacing the card is not possible without replacing the computer as well unless i can find a older card that still works (the fucking cryptomineing cunts have killed them all).

the only other card i have is a 8600 GTS that can't run shit.

COMPUTER SPECS:

Y: 2007
Box: Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case
MB: ASUS CROSSHAIR AM2 Socket
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Dual Core Processor
MEM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (4X2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHZ 240PIN CL4-4-4-12 1.95v
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce gts 250 1GB
PSU: Antec Truepower Trio 650W Power Supply

A: 3.5” floppy (1.44 MB)
C: ADATA SX900 2.5" 512GB SSD SATA 3 SandForce 2281 550MB/SEC Write and 530MB/SEC Read
D: Seagate Barracuda 1TB SSD
E: LG Combo CD/DVD Burner
F: LG Combo CD/DVD Burner

Have you searched any thing like ebay?

I bought 3 used GTS250's last year or so, one Gigabyte one MSI one Emtech, like 7-8 USD for each. The seller didn't even seem to care the fact that the Gigabyte one had twice more memory than others.

There were other models on the market also, of course... like HD6850 for $20 for example... I kinda should have boght that one instead. Was a good deal. Because I have HD5850 and it runs things much much much better with FHD resolution than GTS250...

The Emtech one died out but I still have two! The remaining both are running mighty fine on two of my old rigs. You don't mind such ones being ex-cryptomining equipment when each costs comparable to a cup of cofee, assuming the fuckers use GTS250 for that purpose at all.

I also have an Athlon XP computer with ATI Radeon 9550 fanless card on it. I still can (occasionally) find spare parts for it on the used market. Do not surrender!

no (good) replacements found on ebay so far, also the XP drivers go up to the GeForce 900 Series so i'm not limited to the 200 Series (but the driver that i know for sure is stable on my computer (327.23) only goes up to the 500 Series)

i spent the hole fucking day comparing Ryzen gen3s to core i gen9s....i have a headache with no real knowledge gained apart from the fact that a i5 9500k does not come with a heatsink and by the time you add one it will cost as much as a Ryzen 7 3700x.

($ in Canadian)

Ryzen 7 3700x $450 or Ryzen 5 3600 $280

vs

core i7 9700k $500 or core i5 9600k $350 + Noctua cooler $70-$100

don't know if i should go for a GTX 1660 Ti,  GTX 1060 or a RTX 2060.

i don't know fuck all about DDR4 ram and what speed and timings i should be going for and how much to get.

i guess 16GB?

and i have no clue if the motherboards i'm looking at are any good or if they are just overpriced Frisbees:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07HM4M971/?tag=pcp0f-20

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07T5QDRFX/?tag=pcp0f-20

why does everything have to be so fucking expensive and confusing?

last night i found 2 cards (gts450 & gts560ti for $110) on ebay but they won't show up till august (and who the fuck knows if they will even work or actually show up)

...and i'm still getting frustrated with comparing parts for a new computer.

• 2 months later...

Archived