Some people still believe Earth is flat. Wtf?

Strelky

I think we've all figured out the key to debates like these is to not take them seriously.

I mean' date=' no, wait, this is all very serious. ITS ALL VRY SRS BSNS YOU GAIS!!

[/quote']

lol, yeah. I've had one or two of those in the politics section... :angel:

Now that we're on the subjets (we're not, but we might as well!) - Queen Bee, what is your avatar of? She seems familiar to me but I can't quite place it...

Wouldn't you know it, I forgot where I got her. I think I googled "goth girl" and that's the first pic I saw that didn't make me roll my eyes. She also kind of looks like me (if someone airbrushed the laugh lines out).

Wouldn't you know it' date=' I forgot where I got her. I think I googled "goth girl" and that's the first pic I saw that didn't make me roll my eyes. She also kind of looks like me (if someone airbrushed the laugh lines out).

[/quote']

I like your method for choosing an avatar. Elegant and simple lol

Now I know why I recognise her, she is what I imagine Yennefer of Vengerberg (and if you look like her, you by extension) from The Witcher saga would look like.

Though minus the blind white eyes.

Anyway, yes, the earth being flat and all that. Science has become dogmatic. Ducks. Or something.

*chews popcorn* Oh no he didn't!

I was going to just step in and say a token "moderator is watching" bit like "ahem" or something like that' date=' but that was handled very well.

Ducks are aquatic birds; deep subjects are all they care about. Well, breadcrumbs are also a popular topic.

Congratulations gentlemen, carry on, cheerio! ;)

Well I wasn't about to let him badmouth ducks, nosir!

Though minus the blind white eyes.

Her eyes aren't blind white' date=' she's looking to her right (your left). If you look close, you can just make out her irises. The bigger version is clearer.

Anyway, yes, the earth being flat and all that. Science has become dogmatic. Ducks. Or something.

Oh right. The reason for this thread. The reason we're talking. The topic of discussion that requires our full and focused attention, without getting distracted by menial details both arbitrary and trivial in the grand scheme of life.

I like ducks.

Flat earth? Believe it or not some folk out there still think that "matter" somehow sucks other "matter" towards it ;)

Natura vacuum abhorret....

"The earth doesn't have gravity. It just sucks." -Kurt Vonnegut.

Her eyes aren't blind white' date=' she's looking to her right (your left). If you look close, you can just make out her irises. The bigger version is clearer.[/quote']

Either that or she's bored and doing an eye roll :rolleyes:

Oh right. The reason for this thread. The reason we're talking. The topic of discussion that requires our full and focused attention' date=' without getting distracted by menial details both arbitrary and trivial in the grand scheme of life.

I like ducks.[/quote']

Well... you know, keeping up the pretenses and all that. I mean, we could start a thread about your avatar. Or about liking ducks. But I doubt it would last long.

I like ducks. Both on the pond and on my plate.

Weirdly enough' date=' I don't think I've ever eaten duck. I don't know how it differs in taste to chicken, or any other fowl. I've had [u']peasant[/u]. That's some good stuff.

You eat peasants?! Witch! Witch! :P

Duck is just like chicken... if chicken were a darker' date=' richer, and far tastier meat. It goes well with that dark sticky sauce whose name I forget.

[/quote']

I'll have to disagree with you there. Duck tastes nothing like chicken, and the texture isn't quite the same either. Duck is slightly tougher, but not by a lot. Chicken is probably the blandest meat out there, and duck is far from bland.

Duck is more akin to pheasant, fowl, wood pigeon, goose or squab and partridge, basically any other game meat. It goes very well, as you've said, with sticky glazy sauces (coca-cola, plum, pear, cranberry, fig or even orange) or, as I prefer it, with just a dash of sea salt and black pepper and pan-fried (as long as it is just a breast, skin on)

The end result is a brilliantly crispy skin, a nice cooked meat and a little pink inside with the juices oozing out as you cut into it. Brilliant!

Weirdly enough' date=' I don't think I've ever eaten duck. I don't know how it differs in taste to chicken, or any other fowl. I've had [u']peasant[/u]. That's some good stuff.

You eat peasants?! Witch! Witch! :P

Peasant: the other red meat! They go well with a side order of burlap and potatoes.

Duck is just like chicken... if chicken were a darker' date=' richer, and far tastier meat. It goes well with that dark sticky sauce whose name I forget.

[/quote']

I'll have to disagree with you there. Duck tastes nothing like chicken, and the texture isn't quite the same either. Duck is slightly tougher, but not by a lot. Chicken is probably the blandest meat out there, and duck is far from bland.

Oh yeah, I forgot texture. Duck is exactly like chicken, except for being tastier, richer, and darker, and having a better texture... as well as being a different species.

<<

>>

"What have the Romans ever done for us?"

The end result is a brilliantly crispy skin' date=' a nice cooked meat and a little pink inside with the juices oozing out as you cut into it. Brilliant!

[/quote']

Nobody expects the duck pancakes! Our chief weapon is nom. Duck is one of the few things that keeps me safe from the vegetarian menace!

In my opinion' date=' this is the same as trying to convince people that there is ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE that we are the only race in whole goddamn universe, because people, despite living in 21st century, are more inclined to believe a BOOK than their own eyes and ears. If they see an UFO, and if some1 tells them that what they saw was a mirage, THEY WILL BELIEVE THAT!

[/quote']

It's true, I might as well show duck a card trick instead of wasting my time here:rolleyes:

I think I know the difference between average duck and average man; ducks can learn and they don't waste too much time quacking about bullshit.

In my opinion' date=' this is the same as trying to convince people that there is ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE that we are the only race in whole goddamn universe, because people, despite living in 21st century, are more inclined to believe a BOOK than their own eyes and ears. If they see an UFO, and if some1 tells them that what they saw was a mirage, THEY WILL BELIEVE THAT!

[/quote']

It's true, I might as well show duck a card trick instead of wasting my time here:rolleyes:

Oh, does this mean you'll be leaving?

I think I know the difference between average duck and average man; ducks can learn and they don't waste too much time quacking about bullshit.

They also know when to give up and fly away.

The average duck also doesn't make "subtle" claims to superiority over their fellow ducks. At least not on the internet.

By the way, as any teacher will tell you, anyone can learn. It's just a matter of finding a way to express the lesson. (It's also quite important to make sure that what you're teaching is true, and that you're not making wild leaps toward currently unsupported conclusions, before you start teaching it.)

Spoondoggle, you're wasting your proverbial breath. According to R733, us teachers are brainwashing tools of The Man who spend our days tricking kids into learning nothing but lies and government approved propaganda. Which is why no one in my class knows how to read or write proper English. OH WAIT.

Edit: I also never point out factual errors in the textbooks or provide websites that give better, more accurate information. Because I want my kids to stay ignorant, naturally.

Excellent work, Comrade-Teacher Bee! The ministry of truth is most pleased with your progress. Keep it up, and we'll double your Borscht ration! Mediocrity über alles!

I like to convince myself that nobody is unreachable - it keeps me from losing all faith in humanity. Although, in this case, you do seem to be right. It's odd that someone would be so concerned about proving that reality isn't, though. Maybe it's something about free will or afterlives... or cats?

I also believe no one is beyond helping, though how hard I try is inversely proportionate to their age; beyond high school, you're on your own. If you throw your ignorance at my feet and stand on it as though it makes you a better person, be prepared for a fight, though I'm far more likely to give up if I determine your ignorance is more shield than accident.

Well, you guys are troopers. That boat sailed for me a long time ago. Its also probably the reason why I'm a misanthropist, and unlike spoondoggle, I've lost my sanity while I was at it too.

I don't mean misanthropy in the sense of "being a total ass" but more like "having lost faith in humanity" - it happens why you strive for good and realise less than 1% of the rest of us are doing the same :sleepy:

Yeah, but you know what they say about evil triumphing because good men do nothing. You could be a wonderful person in your head, but that doesn't mean shit until your outside matches your inside.

Or, to quote Batman: "It's not who we are inside, but what we do that defines us."

Yeah' date=' but you know what they say about evil triumphing because good men do nothing. You could be a wonderful person in your head, but that doesn't mean shit until your outside matches your inside.

Or, to quote Batman: "It's not who we are inside, but what we do that defines us."

[/quote']

Oh, don't get me wrong. I didn't "stop being nice" or doing nice things to and for people, I've just contented myself with the fact such actions are unlikely to be reciprocated by the population at large. No good deed goes unpunished and all that.

That is what I mean by misanthropist, not like being an antagonist or anything like that.

As to the extent of my actions defining my character, I'll let others be the judge of that.

There's a poet, I forget his name, that's very popular in the poetry slam community, and he said something like "you have to care about the world, not so that it will care about you, but because it doesn't." It took me a long time to figure out what he meant, but now I get it and I couldn't agree more. I often have to fight my own apathy, especially when it comes to certain aspects of the educational system. It's all too easy to have a "you can't fight city hall" attitude about how shitty it is in the US, but if regular teachers like me don't take a stand it'll never get fixed. Hell, I've gone over people's heads and strayed pretty far from established curriculum because it's bullshit. It's illegal for teachers to do that, but shhhh! a lot of teachers do that and no one's the wiser.

There's a poet' date=' I forget his name, that's very popular in the poetry slam community, and he said something like "you have to care about the world, not so that it will care about you, but because it doesn't." It took me a long time to figure out what he meant, but now I get it and I couldn't agree more. I often have to fight my own apathy, especially when it comes to certain aspects of the educational system. It's all too easy to have a "you can't fight city hall" attitude about how shitty it is in the US, but if regular teachers like me don't take a stand it'll never get fixed. Hell, I've gone over people's heads and strayed pretty far from established curriculum because it's bullshit. It's illegal for teachers to do that, but shhhh! a lot of teachers do that and no one's the wiser.

[/quote']

+1 to that.

I think it boils down to the fact that, if you're being nice so others are nice to you, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. If you're doing it to massage your ego or appear nice to others, you're doing it wrong. Being nice is its own reward.

Or, as a short-lived Roman Emperor once said:

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."

Yeah' date=' but you know what they say about evil triumphing because good men do nothing. You could be a wonderful person in your head, but that doesn't mean shit until your outside matches your inside.[/quote']

People say a lot of things and most of them are bullshit. Evil dissolves naturally when left alone unsupported; most citizens (consciously or not) support evil by submissive behaviour; they pay taxes, they obey orders, they blindly belive in religions (including monetary system) and mainstream science.

Or' date=' to quote Batman: "It's not who we are inside, but what we do that defines us."

[/quote']

It's sad to see people quote cartoon-based characters from shallow, profit oriented blockbuster movies. Thought is everything, there is no action without (even prymitive) thought; action is just extension of thought. Forced behaviour by social norms or ego is false identity, a mask. Society of forced behaviour will be always society of conspiracy and conflict.

Archived